Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Ryan Reaves factor is interesting to me... I'll accept that Vegas plays better with him in the lineup because he gets them into the game or whatever.. they need his poo poo talking from the bench and cheap shots to motivate them, and that's a bigger benefit than the loss in skill from replacing an actual NHL player with Ryan Reaves. I don't think it's as cut and dried as that though, as it has often been said about the Stars' top players like Benn and Radulov that they get more engaged when the game gets nasty.

If they end up turning this series into a penalty parade, that definitely favors the Stars. Vegas is so clearly the better team at 5 on 5 play based on the track records of both clubs, I think it would be an obvious blunder to turn the games into special teams contests where the Stars arguably have the clear edge. They basically won the series against Colorado on the strength of their special teams play. During the playoffs they are producing expected goals on the PP at almost twice the rate that Vegas has - 10.51 per 60 vs 6.56 per 60.

so we will see what Vegas does, but I for one welcome the return of that moron into their lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

grack posted:

Peter DeBoer just said in his post-game presser that playing against Demko "rattled our confidence"

YOU'RE WELCOME, DALLAS

is it too late to airlift him back in to play tomorrow night for the Islanders?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I don't think it's coincidence that all four goalies the Knights played in the playoffs suddenly turned into Hasek. Whatever they're doing needs changing to create less save able chances

interesting article on what Shea Theodore (and to a larger extent Vegas) may be doing wrong:

https://jfresh.substack.com/p/breaking-down-shea-theodores-offensive?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Basically the theory is that Vegas is playing a style of hockey which is does not mesh well with the forwards they have converting the chances they create into actual goals.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Bingo. And he was more of a 1B and wasn't just gifted easy starts. Dobby and Ben were both a major part of the Stars having the 2nd D this season because outside of 3, 4, and 23, the Stars D is pretty lol

For what it's worth Dallas is just as good or better at limiting rush chances against / denying the middle of the ice as any other team in the NHL. I don't think that it's inaccurate to call them a very good defensive zone team.. whether being a very good defensive zone team actually leads to sustained success in the NHL is another question entirely.

While they have had a lot of success playing this system over the last few years (probably more than the actual talent level of the team should produce), they died by the same system last year in the second round against St. Louis. There will be a run of games against Tampa where some low percentage shots from the blue line / perimeter of the ice either float or bounce their way through to the net, and that will be the end of the Dallas Stars. As much as Vegas was criticized for relying on quantity over quality, that is actually the most likely way to beat the Stars.

To be clear though, that's pretty much the only way Dallas will go down, they simply aren't going to surrender a ton of odd man rushes or wide open chances from the slot. That is literally the entire focus of their strategic approach to the game, and they will happily lose games 3-1 or whatever getting outshot by a 2:1 ratio and claim that they played great hockey.