Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

But Schefter said they Love Herbert?!

Shinjobi posted:

Dallas looked good in that game, but Vegas was figuring it out by the end. Doubt we see a repeat of tonight's performance by either team.

Hopefully, cause that suuuuuucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

Starsfan posted:

The Ryan Reaves factor is interesting to me... I'll accept that Vegas plays better with him in the lineup because he gets them into the game or whatever.. they need his poo poo talking from the bench and cheap shots to motivate them, and that's a bigger benefit than the loss in skill from replacing an actual NHL player with Ryan Reaves. I don't think it's as cut and dried as that though, as it has often been said about the Stars' top players like Benn and Radulov that they get more engaged when the game gets nasty.

If they end up turning this series into a penalty parade, that definitely favors the Stars. Vegas is so clearly the better team at 5 on 5 play based on the track records of both clubs, I think it would be an obvious blunder to turn the games into special teams contests where the Stars arguably have the clear edge. They basically won the series against Colorado on the strength of their special teams play. During the playoffs they are producing expected goals on the PP at almost twice the rate that Vegas has - 10.51 per 60 vs 6.56 per 60.

so we will see what Vegas does, but I for one welcome the return of that moron into their lineup.

Reaves is absolutely a poo poo who takes a lot of penalties, but the usefulness of someone who leads the league in hits while remaining positionally responsible and has the instincts to poke a puck home from a scrum now and then should be obvious.

Vegas' checking line has popped up with some important goals, and Reaves is absolutely part of that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Got hot goaltending and the slam dunk lottery picks panned out. Give him all the awards, I guess. Not like they were gonna try and improve anyway.

This loving league.

This vaults him into top half at least

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

$5m x 5 years seems ridiculously cheap for Lehner

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

I would love Lehner back, but I can't see how you'd dump MAF given the constricted cap. I also think his play die Vegas warrants way more that $5m/yr.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

I wouldn't. I don't think Vegas has been bad, I just think they've had the classic playoff experience of facing a goalie who's so hot he might melt a hole in the ice.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah. It's an odd one for Vegas. They can reasonably say they lost to a nuclear hit goalie, but their entire playoffs have been defined by dominating possession and shots and still losing.

They may need to have a rethink about how they attack and what they can do to create chances that goalies can't save.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Just GIS khudobin for all kinds of hilarious images of this peak athlete aka the Panda Man.

Also, Vegas and Colorado fell for the same poo poo with Dallas 5v5. Stars play pretty passive in their own end collapsing towards the slot and either block the shot or let it in for low percentage area. Yeah, Vegas was getting 35+ a night and yes Dobby made some beautiful saves, but lots of those were easy picking or oleksiak was on the ice.

And to whoever said he was Schwab or giggy or whatever, he was rocking a 930 all year and has been excellent along with bishop winch they both landed in Dallas. Just cause y'all don't watch the games don't mean he ain't good!

Finals, here we come. Yeeeeeehaw!

I don't think it's coincidence that all four goalies the Knights played in the playoffs suddenly turned into Hasek. Whatever they're doing needs changing to create less save able chances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

Number19 posted:

Having watched a decent number of VGK games, that take passes the eye test for me as well. Vegas is definitely a stacked team, but they are stacked in an unbalanced way. They are absolutely terrible at burying rebounds and their overall net front play doesn't put enough pressure on goalies to scramble. They generate a ton of high danger shots but they are in places and times where goalies have enough time to prepare for them and thus they more easily fall victim to hot goalies. Even worse, they can make average goalies look hot because they are not really challenging them properly.

It's likely time for a couple of people to move out of Vegas now. They don't really need all of Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson, Pacioretty, Stastny. Those players are mostly snipers, and they need at least one more power forward type. IMO Tuch needs 2nd line time now and he has the hands and skill to be there. Stephenson might also be ready for a bit more scoring line time. Part of worked so well for them on the Cup run in their first season is that they had a couple more net presence players that balanced it out. Right now teams know they don't have to worry so much about clearing the front of the net since their players can't bury anything there anyways.

Based on my feel, Marchessault and Stastny are the odd ones out in that list, and the VGK should start trying to find takers for them and promote or bring in some people who can finish better around the net.

Stasny seems very much the odd man out. $5m salary for one year so pretty movable, Glass and Krebs are both centres and as you say they need to shake things up.