Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

its not fair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how much do you think construction workers make?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

around here? not much at all

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yes because there's 0 consequences for failure in software and it owns.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

american construction workers were paid great till the government broke up their union (the mob)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

today i will celebrate my labor and toil by doing the same poo poo i do every other day

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

there's a book specifically about this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34466958-bullshit-jobs

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
pretty sure it's because im smarter than constructions workers

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's called capitalism op, look it up, some wild stuff

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

around here? not much at all

i just checked for London and good construction jobs pay better than lovely software ones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if construction workers don’t like it they should just learn how to code

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Management posted:

if construction workers don’t like it they should just learn how to code

did anything come of that program to teach unemployed west virginia miners codign?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

did anything come of that program to teach unemployed west virginia miners codign?

working in the code mine
going down, down, down
working in the code mine
whoop, I always sit down

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

construction work puts a heavy toll on your body
coding work puts a heavy toll on your body and your brain

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

none of them were able to keep a job because the classes were all printed out questions from stack. the woman in charge of the program was given millions of dollars in grants and coincidentally kept having to travel to europe and have huge parties.

she killed the program after getting into law school in chicago

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

construction work is like having a free gym membership, those guys are usually really strong and fit

me on the other hand, i'd be surprised if i live past 50

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but your chances of being hit on the head by a falling hammer are significantly lower in computer touching

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

construction work is like having a free gym membership, those guys are usually really strong and fit

me on the other hand, i'd be surprised if i live past 50

lol long term health of manual laborers falls off a cliff after their mid-30s I mean yeah sitting on your rear end all day is really bad for you but you might still have a rotator cuff at 45 unlike someone who spent their career doing framing and hanging drywall

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

construction work puts a heavy toll on your body
coding work puts a heavy toll on your soul

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm really glad I helped my dad do a lot of manual poo poo as a kid so that I can pick and choose what I want to do nowadays. Like mudding and taping drywall? Never again.
Although I can see getting a glam truck and clearing brush on land in my future

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rip

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
working for a living is hard
being at a desk is just being handed money for something a chimp could do because there’s a legal contract between you and your employer. it’s not work

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what if i construct tiny buildings at my desk?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

the guys doing road work around here don't look very healthy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

the guys doing road work around here don't look very healthy

same here. it’s usually older guys in their late 40s to early 50s too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and just to be fair, the guys doing coding around here don't look very healthy either

pram
Jun 10, 2001
idk it depends, construction and truck drivers could make like $100k+ easily in the permian basin (before oil imploded of course lol)

thats more than an entry level it janitor in texas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m highly involved in the drug business but I can’t afford a fur coat

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my former six figgie boss left this office job to work in construction and he now gets paid more than he did when he was my boss

people like things. tangible things. not 0’s and 1’s being interpreted by some sand thing. some people are willing to pay good figgies for these tangible things too.

but gently caress that going outside and poo poo no way

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I sometimes think about how much it must suck to be a mover here. all insanely steep hills with tight corners and tiny fuckin' walkways all over.

and they get paid garbage even with a small surcharge per flight of stairs they have to haul your crap ikea furniture up. tipping isn't a thing here but I tip the hell out of those guys the couple times I've moved stuff cuz they are working their fuckin asses off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how are the stock grants in construction these days?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

The Management posted:

but your chances of being hit on the head by a falling hammer are significantly lower in computer touching

higher odds of getting hit with a printer tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

looks easy 2 me

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

plus if construction workers want to retire to a super safe high paying job they can always become a cop.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
i'm the only man on my project

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

none of them were able to keep a job because the classes were all printed out questions from stack. the woman in charge of the program was given millions of dollars in grants and coincidentally kept having to travel to europe and have huge parties.

she killed the program after getting into law school in chicago

Imo one of the best grifts is to try to silicon valleyize appalachia.

Like this one:

https://www.appharvest.com/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
you move 16 printers and what do you get?
out of toner errors and a broken ink-jet.
st peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go,
im reload all these paper trays and gotta load more.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you move 16 printers and what do you get?
out of toner errors and a broken ink-jet.
st peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go,
im reload all these paper trays and gotta load more.

drat it i was trying to make this work last night but i couldn't quite do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

(before oil imploded of course lol)

was about to say...