Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

The difference between that tiny rear end elementary school in SH1 to the apartment building in SH2 is so incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol awesome

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Amnesia 3 is relaly really reaaaallly good.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Realistic lighting and physics do so much for horror games. Desperately clawing at barrels and sandbags to open a door into inky pitch blackness ftw

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

good vibes from new Amnesia so far. they are so good at sound design

Yes dude. The crazy setpeices are incredible but also , just dropping a key blows my mind most of the time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Absolutely. Waiting 'till night to play again is a test of my patience...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Yes dude. The crazy setpeices are incredible but also , just dropping a key blows my mind most of the time.

Freaking out 'cause I kicked over a jar I dropped at my feet FTW

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
doing some RE3 remake, loving it so far

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I shot tyrants hat off and the way it flies off as he advances toward you is so funny. Thinking about the eggheads at umbrella dressing him up and putting a fedora on him in the lab and loling at that too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A mod where he says M’lady and wields a katana would be seriously :stare: :chefskiss:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Silent Hill 2 is still a masterpiece. On to Silent Hill 3

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

already finished with RE3 lol. its very enjoyable but very short, almost felt like an RE2 remake DLC. a lot more action oriented than 2 but i dug that

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Resident Evil HD randomizer is so good. Ended up with a hallway with three tyrants though...

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

the hospital and return to the police station sections in the re3 remake are really good. i just wish there was way more content in the game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i cant find this anywhere online but the JP eshop news put out a cool mario poster for halloween

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

strange that mario and daisy are doing a couples costume.....

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

strange that mario and daisy are doing a couples costume.....

A new audio drama reveals that Luigi and Daisy broke up one year after the events of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Luigi was later tragically killed in an explosion when he tried to eat a bomb disguised as a power mushroom, his head flying into Daisy's lap.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Luigi has been replaced with Tony.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A new audio drama reveals that Luigi and Daisy broke up one year after the events of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Luigi was later tragically killed in an explosion when he tried to eat a bomb disguised as a power mushroom, his head flying into Daisy's lap.

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Silent Hill 3 still looks amazing. They went a little too heavy on motion blur but the lighting and detail are even better than 2. Characters look way more natural too. It always fucks me up that the first two key items you find in the Otherworld are a bottle of bleach and a coat hanger

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Finished up both A scenarios and started on B. Kinda disappointed that there isn't much difference between them aside from the opening and the route through the station. Leon's new hand gun is cool for shooting heads off though.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
How do you enjoy horror games?
I'm a mid 30s man trying to figure out how to condition myself to play and enjoy horror games.

I've never been affected by horror films but the interactivity of games is just too much for me. I just don't enjoy the sensation of being scared and can't understand why people willingly put themselves through it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm a mid 30s man trying to figure out how to condition myself to play and enjoy horror games.

I've never been affected by horror films but the interactivity of games is just too much for me. I just don't enjoy the sensation of being scared and can't understand why people willingly put themselves through it.

sounds like this fucker had never heard of adrenaline

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I stream rhem for my small group of friends to feel less alone. I probably couldn’t play them otherwise. Amnesia is loving brootal

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

that kind of fear is just a healthy outlet though. like it's video game monsters or someone tapping into a good primal image that sticks with you for awhile, it goes away. that kind of scary, I can have a nice, normal nightmare, wake up screaming, get a glass of water, and go back to bed. it's a refreshing change from what my brain does at night time if i don't feed it jump scares.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*waking up from yet another dream about the faceless silent hill things swing into a car as it sinks into the icy water* ah, phew. thank you, video games.

*waking up from a dream about koroks or sonic the hedgehog* gently caress!! fffucckkk!!!! godDAMN it, nintendo!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SpaceAceJase posted:

Just play them OP.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I just don't enjoy the sensation of being scared and can't understand why people willingly put themselves through it.
it's pretend :)

like a rollercoaster, or being tickled
you get the superficial experience of danger or horror in a safe, low-consequence environment

your body pumps adrenaline and fires up your amygdala and you get to feel how that feels and get an idea of how you react in tense or high-pressure situations but also you can just stop whenever you want

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I get jump scared and then I laugh because it's harmless and enjoyable.

Silent Hill 2 and 3, especially 2, are the only horror games I have to take breaks on because some of the deeper themes combined with the insane sound design starts getting under my skin after awhile.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
playin luigis mansion

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

that kind of fear is just a healthy outlet though. like it's video game monsters or someone tapping into a good primal image that sticks with you for awhile, it goes away. that kind of scary, I can have a nice, normal nightmare, wake up screaming, get a glass of water, and go back to bed. it's a refreshing change from what my brain does at night time if i don't feed it jump scares.

lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The interactivity of games is what makes them the best medium for horror imo. With books or movies it's a bit more passive because you just sit and watch. With games you get that fun sensation of simultaneously wanting to press forward and not wanting to, and great horror games maintain a baseline tension for several hours while giving you spikes of stress and relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

im going insane imagining bicyclops' iconic nice, normal nightmare