Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I don't know if Hobbs needs to be with anyone. Cage has Team Taz, Archer has Jake, Luchasaurus has Jurassic Express and Wardlow has MJF for the time being.

Let Hobbs be the big dude that does what he wants because he's a big dude and what are you going to do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Let the Big Hobbs eat!

Sorry (but not really)

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Some thoughts:

-Hobbs looked like a monster, shoving someone out of midair when they try to give you a cross body is a really cool spot.

-Weapon X is a nice move but the set up is too complicated, IMO.

-Griff Garrison's theme is performed by Mötley Whü The gently caress?

-Nice to see Angelico get a chance to show his stuff. They've talked about his style since AEW started but he hasn't gotten to work that methodically in fast paced tag matches.

-Anna Jay's potential is through the roof when you consider how inexperienced she is.

-Lee Johnson's moves are fine but his strikes could use some work.

-I like that Sonny has a new finisher. The split leg drop is fine but it's more of an exclamation point than something that looks like it would put someone away.

-Ricky Starks is a star already and Ben Carter also looked really good.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

smarxist posted:

yeah, Lee Johnson does a lot of things well, but he does that spot where he gets a handful of strikes in and then PSYCHES UP for a forearm strike or missile drop kick or something in every match, and it's always basically a flat line in excitement. he's got a great look and can sell really well, and great athleticism, but he definitely hasn't found his niche yet. not really sure where he should look either, maybe work with Fenix a poo poo ton and see if he can do some more rope spots or something

I think the juxtaposition with Kingston's hard hitting style didn't do him any favors. But yeah, he's got the tools he just hasn't put it all together yet. He has a knack for making his opponents moves look like death.

Something I liked in the Angelico/Griff match that I forgot to mention is how the finish came out of nowhere. There was no working a body part or anything, which drives home the point that Angelico has an encyclopedic knowledge of submissions and any one of them could be a match ender.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

rantmo posted:

I think Donati ended up slightly out of position at the start so Cage had to readjust because normally it's a much smoother and quicker setup. I think the camera angle was the wrong one to use for the impact too, it doesn't look as impressive when it's not straight-on.

I still thought it looked pretty nasty (in a good way), I just felt like it took too long to get there.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

oh but seriously I posted:

Halloween week they can do a Will Hobbs and Broomsticks match

When PAC is able to return 37 years from now they should pair him with Hobbs as Team Hobbs Goblin.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Thoughts:

I loved Uno casually strolling into the ring with his arms behind his back before he ended the match. He's really good at those little mannerisms that just convey how much of a prick he is.

I thought Hobbs legit hurt himself shoving Serpentico out of mid air. It's a cool spot, but I could see how it'd be a good way to jam a wrist. The spinebuster is a better finish than the Oklahoma stampede, IMO. Maybe not for everyone, it looks like death when Hobbs does it.

The second Dark Order match was solid, but I feel like it should have ended with the leapfrog DDT thing. Things got kind of discombobulated after that and I think they tried to shoehorn too much into the ending.

That Carter vs Johnson match was fantastic, pay per view quality. They were both very dialed in, I've been critical of Johnson's strikes in the past but those were on point as well. I can't see any way those two aren't signed with the way they were being put over on commentary.

Speaking of commentary, I dug how Starks managed to be kind of low key without being overshadowed by the other three. He's someone that doesn't need to raise their voice to get you to stop and listen to what they're saying.

I thought the King vs. Deeb match was a lot of fun too. Give me KiLynn King on Team Taz. Give me more women in stables as wrestlers in general, especially if things are going to be so stable centric. That'd help integrate the women's division a bit more instead of feeling like this thing that's off to the side.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Of all the names you could pick, Jennacide is certainly one of them. Cool wrestler though. Dreamgirl Ellie was good too.

I also enjoy Leva's capering, for lack of a better term.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
That ducked spin kick into a pump kick sequence from Luther genuinely got a "wow" out of me. I didn't realize he was that spry.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lamuella posted:

We're in the narrow Goldilocks zone between "it was too hot and Luther got gassed" and "it was too cold and Luther got arthritis"

The second AEW show is just an hour of Luther, Jericho, Daniels and Dustin Rhodes rubbing their knees and ankles and talking about how it's going to rain.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Luther has inspired me to solve all of my problems by tossing a smaller person at things.

I don't see any way that this could end badly.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I think I'm subconsciously biased against the Waiting Room because I'm still scarred from the atrocity that was nWo Nightcap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

CombineThresher posted:

That's what it currently reminds me of, but this thread is right that it could get better with time and more reps. One thing the company needs to work on across the board is not letting segments go too long.

I have faith that they'll either fix it or scrap it, they've been pretty good about that so far.

It also helps that it's on Dark so it's not like the show has a finite amount of runtime. It's the right place to play around with stuff and see how it lands

Nightcap was one of my most hated recurring segments ever, I don't think it could get that bad even if they tried.