Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Hobbs for Team Taz please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

DuhSal posted:

ben carter is cool. would love to see more of him. great main event.

Handsome enough to be Kip’s best man? Certainly British enough.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Fun episode of Dark, Ben Carter needs better pants, but I otherwise really enjoyed what he was doing

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

They pretty consistently bring up that Hobbs wrestles in honor of the memory of his brother, so I think they’ll probably be using him as a face.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Not Dark, but Dark adjacent:
https://twitter.com/gcwrestling_/status/1304220011674951684?s=21

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

OB_Juan posted:

Are they in the thread?

Not sure what you mean? Hobbs just got his first AEW win on Dark and people were fantasy booking a tag team with Tankman because Calvin & Hobbes is a beloved comic strip and they have similar names.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Oil! posted:

I've been thinking this for a long time, but it is also a Loser Leaves AEW match.

No it’s not.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

fez_machine posted:

Certainly didn't help that Taz kept exposing how green Veda is as a commentator.

What a wild way to describe undermining a coworker, even if it was supposed to probably come off as playful.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Dani Jordyn’s gimmick feels too local indie to be on TV, but at least they used it in a fun way. Also really liked Skyler Moore this week, the power moves she was doing isn’t really being done by any of the other women AEW is featuring right now. Also really interested in what the hell is going on with Diamanté and Ivelisse, everything about how they’re presented point towards an are #AllElite graphic, but Tay seems to have skipped the line. Kind of bummed that Diamanté isn’t the one getting the match with Thunder Rosa on Dynamite.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 16, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think the roster page is for sure the best indicator of who has some sort of an exclusive deal with them. It seems like they make it a priority to keep it up to date, even if Earl Hebner is still on there.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Alaois posted:

well then I guess its a good thing that Ivelisse is the one actually having the match with Thunder Rosa on Dynamite!

Welp, meant to type “isn’t” and blew it. Of the two, I prefer Diamanté to Ivelisse.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

Catching up. Loved Starks and Taz putting over Hobbs' spinebuster. Starks is pretty good on commentary!

Gonna be messed up when Hobbs spinebusters Darby straight through to the earth’s mantle.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

JOHN CENA posted:

yeah i hope they get picked up for good. always, always recommend signing promising younger talent to build your future.

Seems like a better deal to actually sign folks to AEW “yeah you can still do indies too” deals while you help train them rather than the WWE style “invest in yourself and we’ll call you when we think you’re ready to have all of that trained out of you.”

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

smarxist posted:

as good as that match was, i feel the end should have been different, Lee piled on 3 devastating moves to 3 near falls, then he gets finished with a frog splash and loses, feel like lee kicking those out, then finishing Carter with those 3 moves and getting the pin would have been a better exchange, but it was still a loving insanely good match

Spanish Fly into the kick shoulda been the finish, but I enjoyed the hell out of that match.

Also, very into the new built for speed version of the Butcher.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think that might’ve been the best Pillman Jr. match I’ve seen. He works well as a babyface who takes a beating but can pull a fired up comeback.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Reality Protester posted:

yeah I feel like being All Elite is the equivalent of being called up from the minors. you're with the organization already but now you're where the big boys play. look at the adjective.

For the more recent signings, the #AllElite graphics seemed to have indicated immediate plans for them on Dynamite. If they’re going to continue to have folks like Johnson or King continue to get reps in on Dark with nothing immediately planned for them, it’d make sense to withhold the graphic to manage fan expectations.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Astounding that Tay Conti is the same person who looked absolutely lost in NXT. Amazing results when you let someone lean in to who they are and what they’re good at.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, I think it’s better for both of their development trajectories for TayJay to stay together as the Violence Twins than it does for them to feud right now. Keeping them as a team means they need to establish a couple more babyface women’s tag teams though.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

I'll give Lil Swole a call.

Yes please.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I am glad they’re starting to give some of the Dark regulars stuff to do with story implications. Like, if they manage to elevate all three of Anna Jay, Tay & Red Velvet out of the Nightmare Family/Dark Order feud, that’ll be a hell of thing to have pulled off.

I hope they bring Bowen’s back again, I instantly bought him as a guy who could be on TV regularly.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Just finished Dark, I really enjoy Sonny & Joey as a team and hope they keep them together. Give’em a run as Kings of Dark for a bit until it’s time for them to get a brush with greatness against FTR.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think she might still be 18. She legit just graduated high school.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

oh but seriously I posted:

i missed the racism

She called Nyla “The Native Bitch” instead of the “Native Beast.”

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I get that that wasn't the intention, but it's an awful thing to hear considering the way Indigenous people get treated here in Canada.

Yeah, it’s 100% something that someone should’ve caught when they taped it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I only vaguely remember Bononi from NXT, I don’t remember him being as impressive as he seemed tonight.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I get the sense that at least some of the Dark crew have deals even if they haven’t made the roster page yet. I’d put the most money on this being the case for Lee Johnson, Shawn Dean, Red Velvet, KiLynn King and Griff Garrison.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

You’ve got to give the people what they want.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MJeff posted:

Wow, this KTB guy is gonna be signed within a month isn't he?

Sounds like Joey Janela’s been talking him up.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MJeff posted:

So was Avalon vs. Cutler not this week?

Seems like they’re doing it every other week. Also, card was announced before the press conference.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I get that they wanted to give the title shot tournament guys who haven’t had a TV singles match in a while a win, but 16 is officially Too Many matches. I tapped out before the double main event and will prob watch those before Dynamite.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall for when they’re booking Dark, because it’s clear it’s not solely to generate content and I’m curious about the the nuts and bolts of how they’re using it internally and what those discussions look like.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lately I feel like I’ve been most engaged with the matches that feature someone not on the roster than Dark matches featuring only signed talent. I think part of that stems from AEW seemingly treating their freelancer bookings as opportunities for those people in a tangible way.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/shutupexcalibur/status/1321224907812794368?s=21

Looks like they got the boxer they signed to a developmental deal into the country.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Top flight are 19 and 21 years old, wild.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I enjoyed Miro and Taz commiserating over wrestling barefoot.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

PWInsider published the transcript of their TK interview, relevant portion re:Leyla Hirsch:

“ Tony Khan: I really like Leyla. I think there's a good chance Leyla could be here with us. I can't comment until she and I have worked it out but I'd really like Leyla to come back. She and I talked after the show and she loves being in AEW and I expect there's a good chance she'll stay with us. I'm sure Leyla will have offers but I think she's got a good offer here and I think there's a good chance she's goning to be staying with us based on our last conversation.”

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I bet they’ll have her win a few different ways, similar to how Abadon rotated finishers last time she had a couple matches in a row.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

rantmo posted:

Well King's two matches on IWTV were both against Kaci Lennox, a comparably built opponent, and both were losses so no fisher to speak of. It sounds like she's got a running drop kick called the Crazy Train but she didn't land it. She had a pretty decent Flatliner and Side Slam and a promising Spinebuster that isn't quite ready for primetime yet but could probably get there with AEW's team. I feel like she could go either way with a finisher, strikes or slams, she's got the goods for both.

She also used to come to the ring with, and sometimes use as a weapon, a stuffed rabbit named Roger and holy poo poo am I glad that's not a thing anymore.

I think she’s moved on from the “Queen of Crazy” gimmick to “The King” which is probably the right move.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Huh, Lindsay Snow was in the audience on Dynamite surprised she’s not on this card unless they’re saving her match for Tuesday.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Anything worth chasing down before Full Gear besides the Lance promo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Get your “who’s secretly signed” speculation revving based on who is and isn’t on this official group poster for this week’s card:
https://twitter.com/aew/status/1328699919826378758?s=21

Mainly surprised that Tesha Price made the graphic, but Alex Gracia didn’t. Also interesting how large KiLynn King is, acknowledging I don’t know if the person making this graphic does it with any idea of what’s going down on the show.