Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

A Grand Egg posted:

Melatonin sorta works, take it around 4 hours before you go to sleep ~3mg.

Same but 10mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

track your sleep, it's fun

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

NGC773 posted:

banging what?

Your mom.

For real though I get four to seven hours a night. Used to be seven consistently until all the gyms closed. Now I'm WFH full time anyway so I can snag the odd nap if I need to.

When I was drinking I went the better part of a decade without a good night's sleep. Even on the nights when I managed 8ish hours my sleep quality was so poor I struggled to do anything. Nowadays even on 4 hours I've got loads of energy.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I used to sleep terribly every single night until we had a temporary shift change at work a couple months ago that required me to wake up at 5:00 AM.

Suddenly everything magically worked and now I wake up at 5:00 AM and go to bed around 10-11:00 PM. I worked from home before COVID already and start work at 8:00 AM. Now I sleep all night long instead of the constant tossing and turning and bathroom breaks, and get three hours to do whatever the gently caress I want to before I start work. I’m also actually tired at bedtime instead of getting a weird last minute burst of energy which never helped with the getting to sleep part.

So I found out I’m a morning person I guess? :shrug: It’s usually just six hours of sleep but I feel so much more rested then when I “tried” to get 8 on my old sleep schedule.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
No enough/ more

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ArbitraryC posted:

Iirc there was a sleep study done at some money filled med school and catching up on sleep is not actually a thing.

I feel like I doubt though, you get hurt and doctors always tell you to rest more so you heal up faster. Now they’re saying I can’t rest more to heal from general fatigue? Well which is it?

there's been a lot of studies, and there both is and there isn't. mostly isn't.

there is insofar as when you miss one of the two kinds of sleep your body needs, your body will gorge on it the next time you sleep, preferring the easier to obtain sleep type (NREM) first if it's short on both. this gorging behavior will allow your brain to do the things that your body demands sleep to accomplish, but isn't a thing in that it's done in what amounts to a hasty, slipshod manner and it fucks the absolute hell out of your circadian rhythm, which itself is kind of needed for optimal rest, so 'catching up' is more accelerating the timetable to actually sleeping again, rather than just grabbing the z's you need.

you definitely need more than one night of rest to get caught up on a single bad night of sleep, and longer term sleep deprivation can take over a week to recover from.

I can link a book from a leading sleep researcher that talks a lot about all of this but i assume people don't actually care that much.

Dr.D-O posted:

Also, as a sleep researcher, I'm obligated to tell you all the following:

Contrary to popular opinion, alcohol and benzos do not actually help you sleep. At first, subjectively, they seem like they help but they actually make your sleep much more disrupted, and in the long term you will be much more tired even if you sleep for longer periods of time.

This is why there is the idea of the "drunkard's sleep", which is essentially heavily disrupted sleep.

also the book i mention above mentions this, the reason behind the disruption is actually super interesting but suffice it to say the writer (Matthew Walker) spends like 20 pages just completely disassembling the proposed value of sleeping aids in all but the most extreme situations and then goes on to make another like 10 pages of sleep hygiene/lifestyle changes and recommending cognitive behavioral therapy instead

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 8, 2020

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I want 8 hours and I feel like absolute death if I get significantly less than 7. Thankfully I'm not a fussy sleeper at all, I can basically check out on command no matter where I am or what I've got going on.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
around 8

but i get such poor-quality sleep i am still generally tired when I wake up

but i have been sleeping better lately thanks to a weighted blanket!

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

around 8

but i get such poor-quality sleep i am still generally tired when I wake up

but i have been sleeping better lately thanks to a weighted blanket!

We have one of these. It was cool at first, then became annoying. It’s in the closet.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I sleep 5-6 hours at most. Feel great, don't even drink coffee. Never taken more than 3 minutes to lose consciousness. Deep sleeper, rarely woken (even by my dumb yelling cat). Playing 2 MMOs right now.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I sleep like garbage. If I go to bed early (10:30) I wake up around midnight for a couple hours. If I stay up later I usually wake up around 2:30 and am awake until about 4:00 am. I haven't slept through the night through in months. Even with OTC sleeping pills (Doxylamine succinate) I still wake up in the middle of the night. It makes going back to sleep easier but it doesn't knock me out. I take melatonin as well but maybe I am not taking it early enough. I usually wait until about an hour before i plan on sleeping.

Last night I stayed up until 1:00 am in hopes of sleeping through the night. I woke up around 3:00 am and got back to sleep and then woke up at 5:30. I went back to sleep again and woke at 7:00 and got up.

I have a friend who can go to bed at 8:30 pm and sleep until 9 am. It makes me so envious. I can't imagine what sleeping like that is like.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

me your dad posted:

I sleep like garbage. If I go to bed early (10:30) I wake up around midnight for a couple hours. If I stay up later I usually wake up around 2:30 and am awake until about 4:00 am. I haven't slept through the night through in months. Even with OTC sleeping pills (Doxylamine succinate) I still wake up in the middle of the night. It makes going back to sleep easier but it doesn't knock me out. I take melatonin as well but maybe I am not taking it early enough. I usually wait until about an hour before i plan on sleeping.

Last night I stayed up until 1:00 am in hopes of sleeping through the night. I woke up around 3:00 am and got back to sleep and then woke up at 5:30. I went back to sleep again and woke at 7:00 and got up.

I have a friend who can go to bed at 8:30 pm and sleep until 9 am. It makes me so envious. I can't imagine what sleeping like that is like.

Sleeping 12 hours a day is a textbook depression symptom op.

I do best on 6 to 7 hours a night.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
usually 4-5 hours, don't know how much I need, more than that though :tootzzz:

Yay!
Dec 21, 2018
Lyrica works great, and increases sleep quality. It is addictive, you build a tolerance to it spectacularly quickly, and it can have horrendous withdrawal symptoms. But now and again 300mg and a couple of beers will have you out for 10hrs and awake feeling ready to take on the world.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

bradzilla posted:

Sleeping 12 hours a day is a textbook depression symptom op.

I do best on 6 to 7 hours a night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pypV-JPU1k

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Not enough!

I have only myself to blame I've had some powerful edibles on labor day and if they don't make you fall asleep quickly they keep you going for hours.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
9 on work nights, 6 on weekends. Sleeping in is fully avoidance of having to do work so need an alarm but will be up at first light or earlier when it's time for weekend stuff.

Collapsing Farts posted:

We might as well get into it;

what are the best drugs for sleepin?
I take benadryl until the shadow elves show up and the only place I can escape is sleep but I can understand why that isn't a popular use.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Its :420:

heres my :420: sleep last night after an active day of biking n poo poo

i toss+turn alot as u can see

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Collapsing Farts posted:

We might as well get into it;

huge fan of trazodone. no addiction that ive seen, knocks you the gently caress out, only issue is you better get 8 hours or your gonna feel like poo poo and not wanna move

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I’d say I need 8 and most often get 8

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Nice checkbox poll, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

huge fan of trazodone. no addiction that ive seen, knocks you the gently caress out, only issue is you better get 8 hours or your gonna feel like poo poo and not wanna move

this

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

NGC773 posted:

banging what?

The keys on his keyboard while he posts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I get between 4-14 hours. I usually need about 10 to function properly. Every night I have vivid dreams/nightmares and once I start dreaming I just can't wake up. I usually wake up about 20 times a night.

I have a number of sleep disorders on top of my usual mental poo poo that everyone knows about. Delayed sleep phase syndrome is the big one for me. I've lost almost every job I've had because I couldn't get to work on time. I'd shut off my alarm while still sleeping. I had studio monitors set up in one room with a cable going into the next room on my computer and I'd blast Alice in Chains to wake up and I'd have to go into my computer room to shut it off. Naturally I'd lie down for a second and pass right back out. Sometimes it takes me an hour or so to get back into reality after a heavy dream. Everything just feels off and my dream can make or break my day. I can barely pull myself out of dreams in the morning. And every night when I wake up (a poo poo ton) while I'm dreaming, I fall back into the exact same dream which sucks if I'm having a bad one.

Here's the general synopsis of DSPS from wikipedia. It can be common with bipolar disorder. I'm guessing some of you guys in here might have it too.

quote:

Delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD), more often known as delayed sleep phase syndrome and also as delayed sleep–wake phase disorder, is a chronic dysregulation of a person's circadian rhythm (biological clock), compared to those of the general population and societal norms. The disorder affects the timing of sleep, peak period of alertness, the core body temperature rhythm, and hormonal and other daily cycles. People with DSPD generally fall asleep some hours after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning.[1] People with DSPD probably have a circadian period significantly longer than 24 hours.[2] Depending on the severity, the symptoms can be managed to a greater or lesser degree, but no cure is known, and research suggests a genetic origin for the disorder.[3]

I also have sleep apnea which is weird because I'm not super obese. The sleep center told me I "sleep violently" and "if you're dreaming, you're not breathing." So I use a CPAP and I think it helps. I take 5mg melatonin too and sometimes that helps but not always. I was taking Gabapentin but that didn't help much. Sometimes I take benadryl or doxylamine with limited efficacy. I took ambien in the past but since it's a controlled substance they don't want me on that anymore. If I'm not tired I just straight up can't go to sleep. I'll just lie in bed for hours. Sometimes I take a nap during the day but I hate it because if I take one I'm guaranteed to be out for about 3 hours and I feel like poo poo.

Drinking really fucks up my sleep. And alcohol screws your sleep up because regardless of how many hours you get, the quality of sleep is poor.

This is last night from my FitBit which was exceptional. I feel just fine today.

Once I'm asleep I dread waking up. And every night I dread going to sleep. Sleep problems (among other things) have literally ruined my life professionally.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 8, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I took trazadone a bit when I was in the hospital but it gives me a huge sleep hangover for hours after I wake up. I can't stand the stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Greetings from 3:57 am :tootzzz:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It depends whether I'm actively working to protect a serial abuser or not.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I got around 8 hours today, but the last 2 hours were complete bullshit I woke up and went back to sleep, I had a nighmare about buying expensive stuff in a Disney giftshop. Than someone gave me a bag of various exotic honeys which was a happy moment and than I woke up.

naem
May 29, 2011

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I get 6-12 hours. I don’t really know how much I need, it’s not like I work or anything and my medications make me feel like poo poo regardless.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

sixty-nine time increments

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Laslow posted:

I get 6-12 hours. I don’t really know how much I need, it’s not like I work or anything and my medications make me feel like poo poo regardless.

:hfive:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

4-6. I have awful sleeping hygiene and never really know how to switch off my brain.

Arkagin
Aug 25, 2020
During the work week I try for 6-8
Weekends I only get 4-5 as I stay up too late.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

As a teenager I remember sleeping 10 hours, easy. Now, around 6 to 7 is a "good" night's sleep. I typically fall asleep around 10:30PM ish and wake up at 5:40AM. On weekends I will "sleep in" till like 7:30. If I sleep through the whole night, I feel great. Sometimes I wake up around midnight and can't fall back asleep. I've learned not to stress too much when this happens, and just leave the bedroom and read or watch TV till I start to feel sleepy again, usually around 3.. I still feel like poo poo the next day, but it is better than just laying awake in bed the whole night trying to sleep.

I feel like a lot of sleep advice is bullshit. I have tried meditating before bed, but that hasn't helped at all. Watching TV till I start nodding off is way better. Also, "don't eat before bed" is bullshit. Have a loving bedtime snack, for god's sake. I had to "unlearn" that advice after a lot of bad nights. Also, exercise can make you sleep worse. I'm fairly active, but if I go to bed feeling sore, I typically don't sleep well that night. Walking all day is good, though.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

the brainwaves are thinking
Usually on a week night I get 5-8 hours and wake up groggy but otherwise okay, but then on the weekends I sleep in way too much, and get like 12 hours of sleep and get significantly more tired than getting less sleep.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It's currently 7:30 in the morning, I woke up at 11:30PM a having gone to bed at 5PM that evening having been up for close to 24 hours. My sleep is a colossal mess. I'm constantly sleep deprived, my sleep patterns start out okay, about 7ish hours morning to evening, then slowly tick forward till I'm waking up at 9pm and staying up all night. I'm a very light sleeper, so I've really vivid dreams always and the slightest noise will wake me up. I've been missing out of hanging with a couple of people I haven't seen in a while because of sleep. I can't work properly at the moment when this is supposed to be the busiest year of my life and I'm barely doing a few hours a day if even that, in part due to my awful sleep.

I can't sleep next to my partner well and in past relationships woujld constantly make excuses to avoid trying to sleep over because sleep is just not going to happen. I've no idea what's wrong, I've tried everything from sleep hygiene to some sleep aids. Exercise and meditation does nothing, melatonin also nothing, blue light blockers also does nothing, promethazine more just makes me wake drowsy rather than really making me sleepy. Not a big drinker and alcohol just makes me more awake anyway. And once I do sleep properly it's extremely hard to get up out of bed and I'm just tired. Or rarely it might go the opposite route and I'm sleeping for 24 hours straight.

Sometimes it all clicks together and I sleep very normally but it usually only lasts for a week or two at most and then just slowly disintegrates. Over the last few years, it actually seems to have gotten worse.

I feel like I've always been a bad sleeper but sometime in highschool was when it really started to go pear shaped. Where I suddenly either wanted to be asleep all the time and just dream or else couldn't sleep at night some nights. I'm sort of wondering if I've actually done something to do this to myself but can't think of anything specific.

I'm pretty worried that sleep is going to be a severe point of contention in my relationships and in any work I have to do for the rest of my life. It really does make you feel kind of like a kind of addict in a way, what with the lying, excuses, the endless cavalcade of home spun wisdom from people who constantly offer solutions that don't work and missing events because you're sleeping at all the wrong times. My gf has texted me to please wake up, probably sometime last evening and I've missed a zoom meeting with another friend for the second day in a row. I've got god knows how much work to do this week and I just can't imagine doing much else but sleep

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Once I go to sleep I’m out. God help anyone who needs me during my sleeping hours.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Need 7-8 so I always set aside an 8 hour block but it takes me a little bit to get actually asleep so I only get 7 hours typically. Blue light blockers basically changed my life before then sleep was impossible because I'm glued to the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I usually wake up after 6 hours or so whereas what I need is not to wake up at all.