Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I will change my password 14 days early as your popup warns me, but I want to be prorated for the 14 days I'm giving up my old password for so you won't bother me in exactly 3 months, but 3 months 2 weeks. Otherwise I will call my union rep and complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Remember to use password +1

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Korthal posted:

I will change my password 14 days early as your popup warns me, but I want to be prorated for the 14 days I'm giving up my old password for so you won't bother me in exactly 3 months, but 3 months 2 weeks. Otherwise I will call my union rep and complain.

Change your password twice and you're good for six whole months!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
all passwords must be at least a dozen characters long and cannot contain any letters or numbers used in any of your last dozen passwords

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Admins that dont use the latest NIST standards so people dont have to change their passwords ever 90 days should be murdered

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
We domain admins don't make the rules. Kerberos does. Who is Kerberos? We don't know.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey cool.

Remember that changing this password doesn't mean it changes your password for your team's love notes to each other db or weird rear end poo poo thing that you use to log in to on the HR page that only you do, and you forget about every loving time you do this. So again, just a reminder, just try the old password that worked you loving moron.

And, if you use one password to login, and one for this, just try the the other one before you start screaching. I know this is a complex operational procedure.

I know you're a highly professional, classically trained smarter man than I ever could be, but if "TittyCat8" doesn't work, try the new one "9TittyCat", and if the old one stops working, try the new one. It's simply random nonsense designed specifically to frustrate super intellectual artistic producers such as yourself, however, you're gonna have to bear with me here.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Things that take a couple hours and fail to please most female office workers?

What is "replicate across domains"

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

are there really grievances filed against IT?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

quote:

Verifiers SHOULD NOT impose other composition rules (e.g., requiring mixtures of different character types or prohibiting consecutively repeated characters) for memorized secrets. Verifiers SHOULD NOT require memorized secrets to be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically). However, verifiers SHALL force a change if there is evidence of compromise of the authenticator.

quote:

Memorized secret verifiers SHALL NOT permit the subscriber to store a “hint” that is accessible to an unauthenticated claimant. Verifiers SHALL NOT prompt subscribers to use specific types of information (e.g., “What was the name of your first pet?”) when choosing memorized secrets.
it's kind of concerning that these have been on the books for 3 years and I'm still telling my bank the place I'd most like to live every time I want to check my account balance

dunno who that falls on but my gut says it has less to do with the IT guys than somebody in a suit who doesn't want to pay for something

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can I make my password this

()___)_________)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

meat police posted:

oy ave me chaps any come up against any bumps in any of me fortran loops

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Scientist posted:

Can I make my password this

()___)_________)

my next campaign against the coward admins is going to be renaming myself to B====D~~~~( . Y . )

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
lol who would even care if their SA account was hacked lmao

astral
Apr 26, 2004

"Was that four equals signs, or 5? Or were they colons? And how many tildes were there?"

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

oy ave me chaps any come up against any bumps in any of me fortran loops

me old emails keep getting deleted mum

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

lol who would even care if their SA account was hacked lmao

This reminds me of a thread a few years ago where the OP asked something like "should I invite a guy over and blow him?" An admin eventually chimed in and said something looked hosed up with the user's traffic or whatever and they'd probably been hacked. It was the first time I'd seen a thread memory-holed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's the deal with the loving clown Mr. Hoity toity "IT Admin"? We are paying you to manage him. To administer to him. Does he look administered to, scowling at passerby's from that sewer grate? Sure doesn't to me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

meat police posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only interaction anyone ever has with IT

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can i protect my SA account with 5 alarm authentication please?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The new NIST guidelines state that your password must be as long as your penis.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's so frustrating when you encounter a system, like windows, that has password rules but won't tell you what they are.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

bossy lady posted:

The new NIST guidelines state that your password must be as long as your penis.

:smith:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Korthal posted:

I hacked your union rep and I'm holding evidence of a marriage-destroying love affair over their head so they have to do whatever I want. Good luck :cool:

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
No I CAN’T tell you your password. I can reset it, but if you don’t remember I can’t tell you.

No I CAN’T reset your password to your current password you have saved in a One Note file. Stop asking. (That’s our trick. Admins only, fucker)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

stop using passwords, require blood and seaman samples at each log

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
My seaman's been lost at sea, my dead IT admin

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm pretty sure a file got deleted by the server. I don't remember the name of the file or where it was but it's gone now. Please restore ASAP. This affects production.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

beejay posted:

I'm pretty sure a file got deleted by the server. I don't remember the name of the file or where it was but it's gone now. Please restore ASAP. This affects production.

Let me guess. You will not put in a ticket no matter what.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I had three SSOs at my last job

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Icochet posted:

We domain admins don't make the rules. Kerberos does. Who is Kerberos? We don't know.

He's a dog. The "hound of hades" as we affectionately call him.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

can i protect my SA account with 5 alarm authentication please?

Only when the server is on fire, and that typically only goes up to 3 bells before the network fails.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

meat police posted:

We received an official complaint via HR that a new user, sorry, customer, was infuriated she would have to use her personal phone as a secondary authentication method to log into SharePoint as the building is closed and could we kindly issue her a $500 cellphone so as to alleviate the need to install the Microsoft authenticator app on her personal device.

Richard Cabeza posted:

No I CAN’T reset your password to your current password you have saved in a One Note file. Stop asking. (That’s our trick. Admins only, fucker)

In AD if you check and uncheck the "password must be reset next logon" box it resets the password age :ssh:

BattleSausage fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 9, 2020

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Richard Cabeza posted:

No I CAN’T tell you your password. I can reset it, but if you don’t remember I can’t tell you.

I keep telling users that I can't. see. their. drat. password.

That lowers their guard and I just laugh all day reading their stupid passwords and forwarding the offensive ones to HR

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BattleSausage posted:

We received an official complaint via HR that a new user, sorry, customer, was infuriated she would have to use her personal phone as a secondary authentication method to log into SharePoint as the building is closed and could we kindly issue her a $500 cellphone so as to alleviate the need to install the Microsoft authenticator app on her personal device.

In AD if you check and uncheck the "password must be reset next logon" box it resets the password age :ssh:

In AD, if you check the "password never expires" box, it works. :ssh:

Leaves more of an evidence trail, ofc - but it's compliant with recommendations from MS and NIST, so fuckit.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Icochet posted:

I keep telling users that I can't. see. their. drat. password.

That lowers their guard and I just laugh all day reading their stupid passwords and forwarding the offensive ones to HR

narcs are the worst, can it even be racist if its just ****************************

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Hey cool.

Remember that changing this password doesn't mean it changes your password for your team's love notes to each other db or weird rear end poo poo thing that you use to log in to on the HR page that only you do, and you forget about every loving time you do this. So again, just a reminder, just try the old password that worked you loving moron.

And, if you use one password to login, and one for this, just try the the other one before you start screaching. I know this is a complex operational procedure.

I know you're a highly professional, classically trained smarter man than I ever could be, but if "TittyCat8" doesn't work, try the new one "9TittyCat", and if the old one stops working, try the new one. It's simply random nonsense designed specifically to frustrate super intellectual artistic producers such as yourself, however, you're gonna have to bear with me here.

protip: if you have to change one, go change them all.

even pro-er tip: don't use the same password for multiple things

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
In the company I work for we have a monthly password change policy, minimun requirements: one uppercase letter, one number and 8 characters long.

I bet you can unlock at least 80% of the accounts using as the password the current month with 1st letter uppercase + current year.

Another 10% can be unlocked with the previous month (1st letter uppercase) + current year.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Mozi posted:

all passwords must be at least a dozen characters long and cannot contain any letters or numbers used in any of your last dozen passwords

Password123Password123

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

El Chupacabras posted:

In the company I work for we have a monthly password change policy, minimun requirements: one uppercase letter, one number and 8 characters long.

I bet you can unlock at least 80% of the accounts using as the password the current month with 1st letter uppercase + current year.

Another 10% can be unlocked with the previous month (1st letter uppercase) + current year.

Thanks for telling us what YOU use.
lol why the hell would people use that combination? That's way less obvious than just keeping the same first seven chars and rotating the last digit