Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Oregon, California, and Washington are all having horrific wildfires that are still spreading. I don't think it's ever been this bad. On top of widespread respiratory disease and millions of broke people we now have wholesale destruction and smoke everywhere. Extremely strong winds are making the situation worse and knocking out power in places where the fires haven't reached.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/the-west-coast-wildfire-season-is-getting-worse.html

The capital of Oregon looks like a Doom WAD currently:

Here is your morning forecast:

Edit: More pics

Bidwell Bar Bridge in Oroville, CA
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1303848038587338756?s=20

Enchanted Forest - Turner, OR

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjSTEVbF4o

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Fires suck. How badly underfunded and under prepared are your fireys? I remember reading you use prison labour?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was reading that some of the fires were started by a bunch of poo poo sippers lighting off fireworks for a gender reveal party. Please be mad at that lame rear end family.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

kntfkr posted:

I was reading that some of the fires were started by a bunch of poo poo sippers lighting off fireworks for a gender reveal party. Please be mad at that lame rear end family.

Maybe that happened. It's certainly possible, however: We just finished an inquiry into the bushfires that ravaged eastern Australia last year that found that almost all of them (and all of the major ones) were started naturally. There was a targeted and deliberate campaign by the conservatives and related vested interests to paint them as arson (especially as eco-terrorism carried out by environmentalists to give credence to their cause). Western America is burning because it's dry and it's hot. It's dry and it's hot because of climate change.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

That’s a lot of quests!

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Will these states ever run out of underbrush and generally flammable poo poo that causes these fires, or do they pretty much grow back after a rain resulting in a never ending cycle of rebirth and immolation?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Fires suck. How badly underfunded and under prepared are your fireys? I remember reading you use prison labour?

Get this, in California the prison system is so psychotically negligent that there is a fire fighter labor shortage due to rampant COVID

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

bromplicated posted:

Will these states ever run out of underbrush and generally flammable poo poo that causes these fires, or do they pretty much grow back after a rain resulting in a never ending cycle of rebirth and immolation?

It grows back for every day it isn't frozen and gets full brush size in a month.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Don't you wanna know how we keep startin' fires?
"Fire started by gender reveal party"
Oh no...

We burnt our country down last year so no giant fires for us :sadpeanut:.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mr. Lobe posted:

Get this, in California the prison system is so psychotically negligent that there is a fire fighter labor shortage due to rampant COVID

L-lol?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone posted Disco Inferno yet?

How about Ring of Fire?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

While 100% true that a lot of California wildfire firefighters are prison labor and that's inherently hosed up no matter what, I feel obligated to point out that it's exclusively volunteer and extremely difficult to become a part of mainly due to the fact that once you're in, you're very likely(but not guaranteed) to live in dorms off-prison-site and not...well, on prison site so everyone wants in. Very recently, far too late but better late than never, laws finally changed to allow them to continue their careers as firefighters after being released from prison. Aside from the "Once you get out of prison, you can't be a firefighter. lol??" part, which no longer applies, I'd heard nothing but good things from everyone involved.

It sounds hosed up but it's a pretty good program.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 9, 2020

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Oregon, California, and Washington are all having horrific wildfires that are still spreading. I don't think it's ever been this bad. On top of widespread respiratory disease and millions of broke people we now have wholesale destruction and smoke everywhere. Extremely strong winds are making the situation worse and knocking out power in places where the fires haven't reached.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/the-west-coast-wildfire-season-is-getting-worse.html

Slightly south of Oregon’s capital is Enchanted Forest, which is the mom-and-pop shop equivalent of Disneyland (but just fine if you’re a little kid). They posted this to their Facebook. They’re also located on a forested hillside, so who knows if they’ll even be around in a few days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I can’t even remotely bring myself to care If you’re stupid country burns down

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I can’t even remotely bring myself to care If you’re stupid country burns down

Dang maybe we shouldn’t have done all that bad stuff that everyone else hates for the last few centuries.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bob Socko posted:

Slightly south of Oregon’s capital is Enchanted Forest, which is the mom-and-pop shop equivalent of Disneyland (but just fine if you’re a little kid). They posted this to their Facebook. They’re also located on a forested hillside, so who knows if they’ll even be around in a few days.

I've never been but I hope it stays it looks great.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Valentine posted:

While 100% true that a lot of California wildfire firefighters are prison labor and that's inherently hosed up no matter what, I feel obligated to point out that it's exclusively volunteer and extremely difficult to become a part of mainly due to the fact that once you're in, you're very likely(but not guaranteed) to live in dorms off-prison-site and not...well, on prison site so everyone wants in. Very recently, far too late but better late than never, laws finally changed to allow them to continue their careers as firefighters after being released from prison. Aside from the "Once you get out of prison, you can't be a firefighter. lol??" part, which no longer applies, I'd heard nothing but good things from everyone involved.

oh man thats weird its almost as if people are given opportunities to be constructive and contribute to society they trnd to be pretty happy with it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vincent Valentine posted:

Look we rely on a practice that straddles the line of slave labour to protect ourselves from natural disasters but hear me out, recently we changed the law so those people are no longer locked out of the same job once they're released from prison.
Pretty good compared to what?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
getting tortured by ISIS

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The USA looking more and more like the Crisis on Infinite Earths every single day.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It was actually kinda cool yesterday because of the hellscape sky blotting out the sun. May today bring more ash and smoke so I may save a few bucks on AC electricity.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We should take the fire and move it out into the ocean.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

honestly who gives a poo poo?

it does it every loving year. let it loving burn what's it gonna do? what difference does it make?

Oh poo poo we built our house with no basement out of plywood on top of pinestraw in an area known to start itself on fire and now the house is on fire again wow stunning

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

12 million acres on fire and the evening news shows a dude with a hose and a helicopter with a water bucket and asks for prayers.
I'm sure the billions being spent on that dude and the helicopter is helping the same thing that happens every loving year

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
If you watch the show Fire Chasers on Netflix they show a group of female prisoners going thru fire camp and training and eventually getting on the fire lines.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i read that "prehistoric" california also burned a gently caress ton

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Capisano posted:

If you watch the show Fire Chasers on Netflix they show a group of female prisoners going thru fire camp and training and eventually getting on the fire lines.

Cool, monetizing literal slave labor for entertainment purposes what a wonderful concept

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

honestly who gives a poo poo?

it does it every loving year. let it loving burn what's it gonna do? what difference does it make?

Oh poo poo we built our house with no basement out of plywood on top of pinestraw in an area known to start itself on fire and now the house is on fire again wow stunning

It's not summer in California until the first wildfire happens.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Honestly much of the west is naturally designed to burn. Lightning did (and still does) cause this all the time, and a lot of plants and trees depend on regular fires to reproduce.

Humans doing their best to put fires out all the time because houses are in the way is really making things worse. No matter what you do it will eventually catch, and when it does you end up with these huge mega fires where decades of poo poo that should have burned gradually goes up all at once.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I absolutely refuse to believe any culture on earth calls them "fireys"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

I absolutely refuse to believe any culture on earth calls them "fireys"

Dost thou wishest to sucketh myne baylls syre??

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
When isn't California on fire :viggo:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is fine.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
When you have maybe one forest ranger per 10000000 square miles and rely on loggers to clean up brush out of the goodness of their hearts you end up with America.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Derpies posted:

When you have maybe one forest ranger per 10000000 square miles and rely on loggers to clean up brush out of the goodness of their hearts you end up with America.

What you're saying is we should press more penal battalions into fire service.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Also important to note Utah's on fire from our annual "idiots shooting exploding targets in the brushland" escapades.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

What you're saying is we should press more penal battalions into fire service.

It worked for the Soviets in WW2, so sorry that's communist and a non starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Good news is maybe we won't get anymore tainted produce for a while