Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My parents were some of the last people to evacuate from Katrina and I still give them poo poo.

You can hate and distrust the government all you want, but when mayors and governors are telling you to evacuate, that's not a trick. No one wants to be the Mayor of Amity and say the mega-fire or the Category 5 or the ultra-blizzard is no biggie then God takes a big poo poo on your state.

Don't gently caress around unless you're mentally and spiritually prepared to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nvm its gone.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zoesdare posted:

Edit: Our sunsets have gotten very interesting with the prevailing winds from the west carrying so much smoke.

Klyith posted:

jesus christ there's been a high haze today in NY state, it's smoke all the way from the west coast?

Yep, the photo above is what the evening sun looked like for at least the past two days where I live, which is about twelve miles west from the Vermont border. It reminded me of how in 1935 the director of the soon-to-be-defunded Soil Erosion Service managed to time an address to Congress with a massive dust storm's arrival in DC:

quote:

The group gathered at a window. The dust storm for which Hugh Bennett had been waiting rolled in like a vast steel-town pall, thick and repulsive. The skies took on a copper color. The sun went into hiding. The air became heavy with grit.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ugh our AQI was down to like 230 yesterday and now its bounced back up to 314 and rising. Why can't it gently caress off

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
AQI where I am is right around the top of the scale. It smells like smoke indoors despite my air purifiers, my eyes hurt, and my CO2 sensor is reading >3000ppm due to the particles in the room
Looking forward to getting some kind of disease from this.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Malloc Voidstar posted:

AQI where I am is right around the top of the scale. It smells like smoke indoors despite my air purifiers, my eyes hurt, and my CO2 sensor is reading >3000ppm due to the particles in the room

Hell yeah it was like that here when it was nearly 600. Get some (not medicated) saline nasal spray and eye drops, it seemed to help my eyes and nose out a lot. Putting tape around potentially leaky windows also seems to help?

At least when we're dying of lung gently caress we can be smug about not doing it to ourselves like those dirty smokers (unless you're a dirty smoker ofc)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

Soil is actually a pretty good insulator and heat transfer can be more of a function of how long the fire sticks in once place rather than intensity, Im trying to find exact numbers but If I remember correctly you're probably fine temperature wise at a pretty shallow depth.

I once built a big bonfire on top of an underground hornet nest. I had enough brush to keep it burning for 5 hours.

The next morning the hornets were flying in and out of the hole in the ash like it was just another Sunday morning.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

trump did 9/11/2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

quote:

It's a cool place, and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now, wait 'til you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire, how 'bout yours?
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Oh yeah. I got full blown bronchitis after I was at the Thomas fire. Imagine a Christmas Eve family dinner, with lobster, crab legs, and shrimp, and then imagine being so ill and exhausted that this seafood feast makes you want to puke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't imagine that

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Isn't bronchitis viral?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sanctum posted:

Isn't bronchitis viral?
usually but it can also be caused by bacteria or just particulates

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/1306690180452167680

:coal:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sanctum posted:

Isn't bronchitis viral?

Anything that ends in "itis" means inflammation, and can potentially be caused by a number of pathogens or agents

In this case it is the bronchial tubes of the lungs that become inflamed

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Speaking of not getting bronchitis, the AQI here is down to 21 today. A passing thunderstorm knocked a ton of particular matter out of the air.

I'm honestly kinda wondering if we can continue to have a fire season into December. So much of CA has burned in the last several years that fire scars are everywhere, and while yes, they can still burn, they're never gonna burn as hot as they would without decades of fuel built up. I know from personal experience that the North Complex and the August Complex are burning into the fire scars of the Camp Fire and the Mendocino Complex respectively.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Cleared up a lot today, woke up gasping for air and had to slam a bunch of Bronkaid. Good news is thanks to the ephedrine in the stuff my house is super clean.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He's such a piece of poo poo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

Certainly makes News Radio a little harder to enjoy. Him and Andy Dick.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So how dead and hosed are the forests expected to be after this is over? Anyplace done burning yet?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Certainly makes News Radio a little harder to enjoy. Him and Andy Dick.

Andy Dick has probably caused less damage. Let that sink in

naem
May 29, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

So how dead and hosed are the forests expected to be after this is over? Anyplace done burning yet?

most plant life on the west coast evolved to survive fires

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

naem posted:

brb, evolving into an ent

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

naem posted:

Evolution is just a theory.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

VideoTapir posted:

Fun fact, fires are a part of the life cycle of those forests

Redwoods, for instance, cannot germinate without a fire

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yes, It's a fire adapted ecosystem, but its not really adapted this level of intensity.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Grass lands: The grass will grow back, greener and brighter in the next year.

Brush: Roughly 1-10 years of regenerative process, and it will return.

Oak Forests: Fire ain't no thang man. An oak forest can completely burn to the dirt and still be back in the next half-century.

Conifer forests: Depends on fire intensity. A super-hot crown fire will utterly wipe out a conifer forest, with a 95%+ mortality rate. Some conifer seed banks require fire to germinate, so they can fill the void, but a sufficiently destructive fire can set a conifer forest back for upwards of a century. In the meantime, other tree types will move in to fill up all that ecological space that just opened up. In a sufficiently destructive fire, ecological succession will mean that the forest can go through two to three centuries before it returns to the conifer forest it was. Adjacent stands of forest that didn't burn will also move into to fill the gap left behind, meaning you'll in-between types of landscape for many decades, with brush/oak mixes or oak/conifer mixes predominating in the landscape.

I worked the Rim Fire burn scar in 2018, about five years after the fire. Most of the oaks had already resprouted, and were happy little bushes with dozens of stems. Conifer mortality in some stands was really bad, but the ones that survived were already surrounded by a sea of little saplings. Even in areas that had totally burned up, you'd find spots where there were so many Incense cedar saplings it looked like a lawn. Life in CA evolved with fire, with the ecological record telling of times when the Conifer forests extended far into the Valley, and of times when they were pushed back by fire to the higher parts of the mountains.

The other key thing to remember about fire is that, in a sense, fire makes it super easy for the surviving life to thrive. The hard part of breaking down dead trees and brush is breaking down lignin (a molecule which Life itself didn't figure out how to break down for several hundred millions years after it became widespread, and the reason why we have oil and coal). When fire comes through a forest, suddenly the real hard part of decomposition (the breaking down of lignin and other assorted material) is already done for you. Which means that the soil is suddenly nutrient rich. With sufficient rainfall, what was once a blasted, charred black landscape becomes impossibly thick with brush and grass.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 19, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man reading that makes nuclear holocaust sound like a good thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are you patrolling the Mojave right now?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blind Rasputin posted:

The society of intelligent squids from the year 2,973,004,412 agree that the late-Cenozoic extinction of all land vertebrates was the key event in the eventual dominance of their clade. Many scientific debates question whether the sudden acidification of the oceans, which shell-less molluscs were also better adapted to, was directly related to the mass extinction on land, or just a "one-two tentacle grab" that coincidentally happened at the same time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Blind Rasputin posted:

Life, uh, finds a way

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

a sexual elk posted:

Cleared up a lot today, woke up gasping for air and had to slam a bunch of Bronkaid. Good news is thanks to the ephedrine in the stuff my house is super clean.

We've been like that in Portland for a while now. Yesterday, the AQI was in the 90s. Today, the AQI is 24. Woohoo! Thank you rain.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The view today near sunset on the East Coast, USA- all the way on the other side of the continent. I can actually smell the smoke

https://i.imgur.com/HrIDGyn.mp4

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

The society of intelligent squids from the year 2,973,004,412 agree that the late-Cenozoic extinction of all land vertebrates was the key event in the eventual dominance of their clade. Many scientific debates question whether the sudden acidification of the oceans, which shell-less molluscs were also better adapted to, was directly related to the mass extinction on land, or just a "one-two tentacle grab" that coincidentally happened at the same time.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

naem
May 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

I sure hope they don’t find out about my nine inch logn penis

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

naem posted:

I sure hope they don’t find out about my nine inch logn penis

Soft things don't fossilise.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Life is very good at going "Uuhhhhhhh let me work on this and get back to you" in regards to adapting to poo poo.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
e: wrong thread I am DUMB

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Pretty much fled from a mandated evacuation zone today. Granted I was only passing through, but I did get emergency texts telling me to get specifically out of there immediately. An advancing hellworld of smoke in my rear view mirror and bright blue skies ahead of me.