Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Bros vs Lucha Express 12 15.38%
Jakeico vs Sonny and Joey 8 10.26%
Nyla vs Tay 4 5.13%
Dustin vs The Mister 54 69.23%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Majinfoose posted:

How do you feel about Dexter Lumis, wrestling serial killer, who is a face?

The gimmick itself could work with literally anyone else doing it. It's just early Stone Cold.

E: Anyone else meaning not WWE. Limits himself could probably be better if given more.

E: Just saw the news about Hobbs, gently caress yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

serial killer but a face was the whole concept of Dexter. can't wait for the lumberjack match

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

I think Kris Statlander is on record that the big deciding factor in going to AEW rather than WWE was that AEW would let her work indies.

This plus allowing her to continue to pursue her day job a la Dr. Britt Baker, DMD (Physical Therapy, I think).

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

rantmo posted:

I think another big factor that gives me hope that we won't see many defections is that AEW is a really light time commitment and/so you can still work indie shows. poo poo, this weekend there's a show in a far south suburb of Chicago that has five AEW roster members and some short-termers (Pillman Jr. and Thunder Rosa) and it's just so hard for me to imagine anyone jumping ship no matter how much money the Fed backs into their proverbial driveway.

Yeah agreed my friend. You can just feel the energy. You can feel the love of wrestling. You can feel these wrestlers are living a dream.

Let’s face it: WWE is gonna remain #1 forever just like Fox News will. It’s the way it is.

But I get this feeling AEW talent are also in it for a big fight. How incredible is it to be part of startup and claw and fight to be the best? You got so much to proof. Together.

WWE talent doesn’t have to do that. They’re already at the top. They got nothing to prove. The fans are there for life. Not like they’re gaining any new fans at all. They’re not. I haven’t come across one message this year at all that says, “I just started watching WWE and Cedric Alexander or X wrestler, I am hooked now. I didn’t know you! Now I do! I’m hooked!”

Compare that to the hundreds of messages I read about, “Abadon holy gently caress. Yes I am buying your shirt! Ricky Starks, I’ve never heard of you and NOW I’m a fan for life!” It’s just so fresh. Incredibly fresh.

I want to believe a lot of talent want to be part of that. And many of the talent in AEW right now, and this I do know, have been rejected at some time by WWE. They absolutely have something to prove where as in WWE, what’s there to prove? You’re just gonna go through the motions, wrestle without showing any soul and cash your bi-weekly check.

I think the AEW team loves the chase and the thrill to go all in and see if they can make new fans and put up a fight against the big brand.

The thrill of the chase, baby! I feel it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

serial killer but a face was the whole concept of Dexter. can't wait for the lumberjack match

"Bad guy who is only liked because he targets other guys who are even worse" is an incredibly common trope and there's zero reason it wouldn't work for Dexter here if someone with any talent or brains was writing it. But you know, WWE.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

This plus allowing her to continue to pursue her day job a la Dr. Britt Baker, DMD (Physical Therapy, I think).

If I remember correctly from an interview, she actually did have a contract ready to go for NXT, it was enticing and then they just went cold on her and she thought they got cocky like she would sign anyway—who turns down WWE?!

If AEW wouldn’t have had her on Dark, then I think she would have went to WWE 100%, despite wanting to keep working indies and her other freedoms.

I’m glad she didn’t and I hope on her return, she is featured on TV weekly and gets those reps in so she can have the poise to hold a championship belt with pride and as a regular TV ready wrestler. That’s a dream for me as a fan!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My pick to jump would be Private Party. They’re obviously a long term project with AEW but it’s clear their time at the top won’t be for a while. I could see WWE promising them fame and a run at the top of their division (then they’d promptly lose to Lars Sullivan and some ref’s kid).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

The gimmick itself could work with literally anyone else doing it. It's just early Stone Cold.

see people say this but Early Stone Cold was terrible, Steve Austin himself thinks so and he changed it to what it later became as soon as he possibly could

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I will say if any of the tag teams jump to WWE expecting to be treated well they're straight up stupid.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ricky Starks has said that, at the moment, he has no interest in WWE because he values his creative freedom, so I wouldn't expect him to jump ship. As more indy guys start developing and marketing characters for themselves, they might be less likely to sign with the company that scrubs all that and makes them start over from scratch unless the money is really, really good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jungle boy would love to go to wwe. he doesn't care about anything except fame

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Turn your monitor on

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cavauro posted:

He had a tryout and they told him to gain 30 pounds. He's probably sticking with AEW.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I hope if any of their big prospects like MJF, Jungle Boy, Starks, etc are about to jump to WWE, beyond the contract AEW can offer they can just have Mox, Jericho, Miro, Brodie, FTR, and Matt Hardy tell them exactly how their time in WWE will go, including the honeymoon first few weeks of their debut and last few weeks of their contract where they’re trying to get them to re-sign. That’s basically the entirety of everyone’s push there nowadays.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's why he didn't go to wwe. it's hard to gain 30 pounds. He'd love to

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I am down for Fat Future Jungle Jack

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

All Elite Wrestling is on TNT tonight at 8 PM unless you are in a bad time zone. Enjoy!

isn't it always?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

isn't it always?

basketball does hosed up poo poo to timeslots

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

JOHN CENA posted:

isn't it always?

it was unclear as of approx. 4 days ago

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Jungle Boy could watch Ricochet on Main Event if he’s curious what his time in WWE would be like.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

CombineThresher posted:

He had a tryout and they told him to gain 30 pounds. He's probably sticking with AEW.

Now I'm imagining Jungle Boy's face on Rush's body, including the bacne

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If AEW doesn't pay the paltry rights fees to use Baltimora for Jungle Boy's entrance when he goes solo Tony truly is a coward.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I hope if any of their big prospects like MJF, Jungle Boy, Starks, etc are about to jump to WWE, beyond the contract AEW can offer they can just have Mox, Jericho, Miro, Brodie, FTR, and Matt Hardy tell them exactly how their time in WWE will go, including the honeymoon first few weeks of their debut and last few weeks of their contract where they’re trying to get them to re-sign. That’s basically the entirety of everyone’s push there nowadays.

I think Colt would have some advice for them too.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I could see people jumping to wwe if they aren't locked down for 5 years, a higher pay rate for one or two years might entice some people

Of course WWE won't do that so

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Pylons posted:

I will say if any of the tag teams jump to WWE expecting to be treated well they're straight up stupid.

Sometimes I think about War Machine in AEW and it makes me very sad.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Has there been a main event on Raw or SmackDown lately where guys the equivalent of Best Friends and Santana & Ortiz we’re given the ball like they’re getting tonight on Dynamite? Like, I remember from when I watched mot nights you didn’t know the main event until 20 minutes into the show, which I’m sure is probably still the norm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Like, I remember from when I watched mot nights you didn’t know the main event until 20 minutes into the show, which I’m sure is probably still the norm.

Many Raw and Smackdowns nowadays we have no clue what the main event is until 20 minutes before the END of the show. Sometimes the main event is on and we're still not actually sure if it is the main event or not. This is a normal and sensible way to run a wrestling promotion.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Has the WWE has booked a tag team strong is what you're asking me?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jackie D posted:

I could see people jumping to wwe if they aren't locked down for 5 years, a higher pay rate for one or two years might entice some people

Of course WWE won't do that so

I mean that’s the thing. Signing for shorter term deals would make sense for a lot of guys. Do we know how long AEW contracts have been for? I seem to think 3 years but no idea that that idea is based on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean that’s the thing. Signing for shorter term deals would make sense for a lot of guys. Do we know how long AEW contracts have been for? I seem to think 3 years but no idea that that idea is based on.

I know they've signed some people to 5 year deals - MJF, for example.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

All Elite Wrestling is on TNT tonight at 8 PM unless you are in a bad time zone. Enjoy!

wednesdays are usually pinball league night but during World End 2020 ive been playing my home machine for an hour starting at 8 while the commercials build on the DVR and getting progressively more hammered, then finishing up the night with AEW.

it's something, anyway :smith:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Giving up the indies, your t-shirt shop, your creative freedom, your screen time, your side hustles, your entire reason for wanting to be a wrestler - that is, good wrestling - is not going to be as easy a sell for this generation as the last. Ricky Starks talked about his favorite WWE performer - Undertaker. Who is gone. The lost generation isn't going to entice anyone to work there. A lot of the cool charismatic people are mistreated or were mistreated then left. I can see a couple people maybe going, but giving up a job you love for 5 years of misery when they need to offer you WAY more than AEW/impact/njpw/indies given all the stuff above is not going to be the easy slam dunk. You're not going to get your Ricochets who line up to be shat upon by "the dream job" nearly as easily. People like MJF and Jungle Boy know their worth.

And rumors of stuff like not giving Keith Lee a new contract when he went to main roster so he's making low six isn't going to help either. Or the covids. Or the saudia arabian situations. Or the systemic racism, sexism, harassment...

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

oh but seriously I posted:

Has the WWE has booked a tag team strong is what you're asking me?

Two tag teams in a non-title related angle, actually. Typing that out, I know the answer, but imagine. The Terri Invitational Tournament is the last thing I can remember that might qualify, and even that has stink on it from the backronym they shoehorned in.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Giving up the indies, your t-shirt shop, your creative freedom, your screen time, your side hustles, your entire reason for wanting to be a wrestler - that is, good wrestling - is not going to be as easy a sell for this generation as the last. Ricky Starks talked about his favorite WWE performer - Undertaker. Who is gone. The lost generation isn't going to entice anyone to work there. A lot of the cool charismatic people are mistreated or were mistreated then left. I can see a couple people maybe going, but giving up a job you love for 5 years of misery when they need to offer you WAY more than AEW/impact/njpw/indies given all the stuff above is not going to be the easy slam dunk. You're not going to get your Ricochets who line up to be shat upon by "the dream job" nearly as easily. People like MJF and Jungle Boy know their worth.

And rumors of stuff like not giving Keith Lee a new contract when he went to main roster so he's making low six isn't going to help either. Or the covids. Or the saudia arabian situations. Or the systemic racism, sexism, harassment...

That problem is going to keep growing too. Look at their ratings. A big portion of the next generation of wrestlers will not grow up seeing WWE as the dream.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Are WWE still only handing out 5 year contracts? If so, for a ton of the young guys especially, that's a huge commitment for their life. You're stuck there unless they end up firing you, which seems to be a toss-up of how you do after you come back from being fired.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

And god forbid you suffer an injury that lets them prolong your contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dynamite Thread
New Discussion Thread

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 17, 2020