Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Bros vs Lucha Express 12 15.38%
Jakeico vs Sonny and Joey 8 10.26%
Nyla vs Tay 4 5.13%
Dustin vs The Mister 54 69.23%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MJeff posted:

The first part was loving dreadful, but I liked it once Miro came out.

Didn’t need tomhe first two beats at all, but at least it was only a 5 minute deal instead of 15, and the Kip/Pillman match we get on Dark (or maybe Kip/Miro vs Pillman/Garrison match) will probably be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I enjoyed the FTR segment way more than the recapper did. I kind of love the idea of FTR trolling the unranked teams and refusing to defend the titles now that they have them.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Troxartas posted:

Did anyone else notice tay Conti looked like she hurt her right knee? She was grabbing it after the powerbomb and wasn't putting weight on it during the post match beat-down and when Shida came for the save. Hopefully it's nothing major

Yeah, I just finished that part of the show and noticed the same thing. Wonder if she tweaked it in the transition from the submission to the powerbomb.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

A good chunk of the east coast Dynamite was running against the Celtics-Raptors game that went 2 overtimes to force a game seven, so I might temper expectations for 1 Million viewers. Still a strong show though, and looking forward to next week, even if they had a weirdly hard time explaining the schedule next week.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Vince MechMahon posted:

"gently caress man, we don't even know," is at least honest.

They’ve known about it for weeks! “Next week we have a special one hour late night edition of Dynamite immediately following the NBA game on Wednesday night, followed by a brand new full episode on Thursday!” Boom, done.

Both JR and Tony sounded weirdly distracted when they were promoting stuff, so I wonder if they were trying something new with production this week.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

IcePhoenix posted:

the background of Miro's video sounds like a Brandi vs Anna Jay match on Dark?

I thought that was Brodie’s music during the main.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I feel like that FTR promo was foundation for them to lose the titles relatively quickly and make those belts the TNT title of the next build phase as a bunch of teams go after them.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

ICR posted:

I believe Ol’ Mancer was named in the speaking out movement (if I’m wrong, sorry—it didn’t seem to get much traction but he was named nonetheless) so when I saw that spoiler I was like, “ok so that won’t be true for sure”.

I don’t think it gained traction because it was him hitting on someone via DM, and when it came out he immediately apologized explaining he didn’t realize the other person wasn’t into it and he felt terrible that that was the case.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 10, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Bucks were fined $5k each, not suspended.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Somebody get in a time machine and tell someone in Setember 2018 that in two years Luke Harper and Goldust would tear it up in the TV main event of a basic cable weekly wrestling program.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

AEW and Eddie Kingston’s jorts getting some coverage from the new site everyone who left Deadspin just started:
https://defector.com/an-appreciation-of-wrestling-jorts/

https://twitter.com/tayconti_/status/1304128911610122242?s=21

You could see Nyla clawing at her knee to get out of the armbar/triangle choke, which I am surprised apparently left that kind of mark.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 10, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Big Bicep Tony going to break out the good stuff.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

ICR posted:

I believe that at this point, the internet and reddit and twitter all thinks they’re controlling the wrestling narrative. People care about the war or the backstage politics or whatever else is out there that many of US know since we follow the dirt sheets and maybe even the lives of our favorite wrestlers, yadda yadda. Well, those loud voices don’t matter as much as they think.

There’s a ton of people who we don’t meet or even interact with here on the internet that just want to watch wrestling. Probably don’t care to really talk about this and that with it: just want to watch it and go to their next show.

What an increase for AEW and it’ll go up if TNT keeps promoting it (they will) and WWE gives up on Wednesdays (they won’t because their promotion is literally using their paid talent to simply take viewers away, not actually be entertaining. Just a pawn in the game).

Imagine being signed to NXT and your boss tells you, “I don’t care what you do here. We are just trying to put another company out of business. Don’t worry about anything else at all. That’s why you were signed ok see ya!”

Anywho, my original point, there’s a lot of wrestling fans out there. They’re coming back slowly. They’ve just been waiting on their moment.

This is correct, we are only slightly less weird than the people who reflexively reply to Alvarez’s rating tweets.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/silvernumber1/status/1304187057997312002?s=21

This idiot child is doing such great work.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Give me Beaver Boys vs Best Friends, just four weirdos getting weird with it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

oh but seriously I posted:

i find the best friends entertaining enough but they're p. high up there on the Guys That Can Be Got Rid Off To Make Space In The Men's Division List for me

why is this a list

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

How fast is that C&D gonna fly outta Stamford when the “Miro Day” t-shirt hits PWTees?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think it's cool AEW fans outside of one occasion I can remember when they chanted "We The People", which is arguably the worst and most nonsense catchphrase in WWE history, AEW fans don't chant peoples old gimmicks at them, that poo poo can kill a new arrival dead and it's good they know better.

Bray Wyatt got Husky Harris chants for literal months when he left NXT it was so lovely.

I generally agree, but they were chanting Miro Day last night and he almost cried because he was so touched by it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

tao of lmao posted:

Hear me out:

JR to sit-down-interviewer, CM Punk to commentary.

They already have Veda Scott’s phone number.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Looks like the only difference was that the AEW logo is raised now.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It appears that FTR’s picture was taken the night they won them, and the social thing linked earlier happened at Dynamite. You can see the (minimal) difference between the belts in the video.

Now they just need a slightly scaled up Women’s title and we’re in business.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I hope when they announce the Dark card, Tony pretends like they made Dark extra good this week because a million of us watched Dynamite.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lid posted:

All this potential commentator talk and no Goldenboy

Also acceptable. He’s still on the roster page so they just have some sort of agreement in place with him.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

ICR posted:

Honestly, I don’t want anybody else signed at all until the second show comes.

When that comes, my hot list would be Hammerstone for men’s and bring me Savoy for women’s.

There’s others I have but honestly, when it comes to heavy pursuit, that’s it.

I’m fine with them adding more women, especially since it’s going to be a long time before we see any overseas travel, and even then it wasn’t the deepest division. Given the format change to Dark with the pandemic, I think they’ve got the space to warm folks up there and rotating up to Dynamite (acknowledging this would be fundamentally different to how they’ve been booking the women).

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Minidust posted:

I enjoyed watching it, but it's kinda odd that they did a women's tag-team tournament when it had to be thrown together with an executive, a backstage interviewer, and like 2/3rds unsigned talent. It'll be fun to see what a similar tournament looks like a year from now.

It was pretty purposefully used as a means to tryout those unsigned talent.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If anything, AEW has really shown a capacity to refine and focus something to make it work if it doesn’t land right away. I’m not sweating much of anything they’re doing right now.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, and I absolutely think writers telling wrestlers what they have to do is a nightmare and flat out not wrestling. Like, what WWE does really doesn't fit my definition of pro-wrestling because to me it's at least partially improvisational as an art form and WWE tries to remove that whenever possible. But having other creatives that the talent can lean on if they want to? It'd probably help.

edit: I also honestly agree with the post above me. AEW is in good hands and when stuff doesn't work they figure it out. My brain is just broken and going "oh but if they did this it would be even better!" is just how I engage with things I enjoy.

All wrestling really needs is someone giving notes on what worked, what didn’t and what almost worked. Producers/agents work well for that, but I think there’s value in including perspectives from non-wrestlers as well, even though I’m sure a lot of wrestlers would disagree with me.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean tony khan isn’t a wrestler so they’ve already agreed to let non-wrestlers have a say.

I don’t think acting training would be a bad idea for some of these folks. There’s some real cringe promos.

If I had the right contacts and didn’t live on the wrong coast, I would 100% be trying to grift my way into doing improv workshops for AEW. Surprised Chris Harrington isn’t working that angle between spreadsheets.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 11, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

Sarah Shockey would be another good one for this. She's IO trained, hugely knowledgeable about wrestling, knows a bunch of the talent and specifically has an in with Colt as she taught him improv.

I’ve seen her at a couple sketch/improv festivals and it took me forever to place her when she started popping up in wrestling related stuff.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Ganso Bomb posted:

Bryce is another big improv guy already on the roster and I'm pretty sure Chuck (and maybe Trent?) has performed with him at UCB in the past.

Please let weird improv connections be the way Vacation Jason winds up on Dynamite.
Dark Order becomes a Harold team.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Has anyone been successful subscribing via VPN and then watching on the FITE App on a Roku? Also, are there immediate replays on FITE? We’re about to cut YouTube TV again.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MorningMoon posted:

The extra perk of PPVs going from 50 down to 20 also does a lot. That's what motivated me to make the jump after Revolution. I mean i'm british.

Guess I gotta figure out how to do a VPN.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MorningMoon posted:

That's the specific case that needs some real VPN fuckery. To trick the FITE App on Roku you essentially need to be passing a VPN through the modem itself, and that only works on certain devices. It was a hassle to try it and it didn't work for me.
There are a lot of other devices you can try, though. The ultimate thing is that you only need to have subscribed on your account with the VPN, once that is done the show's url is "valid" with your account, so whatever device you're logged into that you can punch that url in will stream it. Obviously the easiest thing is hooking up a laptop to a tv, but a console like a PS4 also has a web-browser that can handle that.

So probably also similarly a pain on iOS as it is on Roku?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Matt Hardy taking a run at Mr. Brodie could be interesting.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

JR is hyped about the Parking Lot Fight

https://twitter.com/jrsbbq/status/1304595744964444163?s=21

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

the escape goat posted:

people in Portland have given up on masks which is insane at the moment since we have the worst air quality in the world right now due to wildfires. drinking on patios while the air is literally considered hazardous.

Mask compliance has seemed pretty good when I’ve been out and about, but we’re pretty much completely holed up. I’m sure any of those patio folks have been lulled by into a false sense of security our relatively low case counts though.

The chuds are going wild in the replies to this, including asserting that the rating would be even higher if Jericho/Hager were facing “real opponents.”

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 12, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Jurassic Express also just had a banger against the Young Bucks where Jungle Boy needed to take 3 finishers to stay down and beat Lucha Bros earlier in the show. They’re clearly planning something for them, and FTR’s whole deal could easily be setting themselves up for a short reign undone by hubris.

Jurassic Express are also the closest thing AEW has to distilled babyface energy that FTR’s worked best against (American Alpha, DIY in the before times). I am interested to see what they do with it.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Big Butch and the Blade getting their Buffalo pals paydays.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think it’s really cool that the folks brought in exclusively for Dark are starting to do poo poo like cutting Twitter promos to try and make something happen (KiLynn King posted one before her match with Ivelisse the other week too), wondering if that’s something AEW started to encourage recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Wouldn’t be surprised if the folks who they keep bringing back aren’t on some sort of deal that’s functionally a development deal.