Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I mean a manager of a Costco is in charge of over a hundred people too but they don’t exclusively hire their friends and children to run the produce section.

not exclusively but have you ever worked in a place like that? give someone the slightest amount of hiring authority and they will absolutely fill subordinate slots with people they already know or family, regardless of qualification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

a patagonian cavy posted:

not exclusively but have you ever worked in a place like that? give someone the slightest amount of hiring authority and they will absolutely fill subordinate slots with people they already know or family, regardless of qualification.

Yeah they’ll treat it like some kind of circus

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1360442555796779009?s=19

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1360443094659964929?s=19

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

BrownThunder posted:

Yeah they’ll treat it like some kind of circus

qualifications are actually important in circus though

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That’s why most head coaches will delegate hiring of assistants to their coordinators. Doesn’t help if the coaches uncles brother is defensive coordinator or whatever the gently caress though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

But Chris was good! Urban said he knows the guy, what more do you people need?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

BlindSite posted:

I think something that's kind of overlooked a little bit too is that an NFL headcoach is in charge of over a hundred people and it's also why coaches often don't make good GMs. That's a lot of people to be responsible for and there has to be a level of trust when it comes to who you choose to be in charge of the smaller groupings.

If a head coach has 100 direct reports that seems problematic from the jump.

I do wonder how organizational structure works within NFL teams though. Like -- does the defensive line coach report to the defensive coordinator report to the head coach? Or is it just a free-for-all where everything lines up under the head coach?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Position coaches report to coordinators, but most coaches wear more than one hat as far as ancillary duties so those might be direct reports to the HC. There's tons of organizational bullshit to do during the week.

Remember how Bill Bedcheck got his nickname.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's not how it works

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I mean a manager of a Costco is in charge of over a hundred people too but they don’t exclusively hire their friends and children to run the produce section.

It’s always seemed a little weird to me that when a new coach is hired, the entire staff turns over. In other organizations you don’t fire loving everyone regardless of whether they’ve done a great or terrible job when the senior leader changes. I guess it makes sense for some positions in that coordinators tend to be one trick ponies so if Their Scheme doesn’t match what the coach wants, it’s a problem. But it’s still odd that continuity at any level of the coaching staff is looked at negatively.

The only parallel I can think of is presidential administrations. Which, well, there is probably a lot of overlap in the kind of maniac it takes to become a president and an NFL head coach.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some coaches stick around for forever. Like the Patriots have had Ivan Fears on staff as a position coach since 1991 through 5 head coaches. Scarrnecchia was around for almost as long as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, it’s not uncommon for some assistants or position coaches to stick with teams through multiple coaches. Scarrnecchia is probably the best example most people know, but another good one is former Giants TE coach Mike Pope, who had two long stints with the team across four head coaches and ended up being on all four of their Super Bowl teams. Those kind of situations usually go under the radar a lot of the time. There’s also been a few notable cases where a coach keeps (Or tries, anyway) to keep part a staff in place that had been working, such as Jon Gruden keeping Tampa’s defensive unit intact when he first got the job there in 2002 as an easy example.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think it’s more that there are very few coaches who get fired when their teams are doing well, and as such there is very rarely an entire unit on either side of the ball worth preserving, and if you’re tearing down part you might as well bring in all your own guys unless an assistant is truly exceptional or has a really good relationship with a star

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The reasons for cronyism and nepotism are not a mystery that needs to be solved. We already understand it.

What needs to happen is greater incentives for hiring practices that actually reward merit regardless of who you know - or what you look like. The 3rd round pick thing is a good start.

My point was more what's often chalked up to or framed as nefarious sometimes isn't and for lasting and effective change hurdles need to be accurately identified. I agree though I think incentivizing a broader approach to hiring coaches is going to be much more effective than a punitive one.

Docjowles posted:

It’s always seemed a little weird to me that when a new coach is hired, the entire staff turns over. In other organizations you don’t fire loving everyone regardless of whether they’ve done a great or terrible job when the senior leader changes. I guess it makes sense for some positions in that coordinators tend to be one trick ponies so if Their Scheme doesn’t match what the coach wants, it’s a problem. But it’s still odd that continuity at any level of the coaching staff is looked at negatively.

The only parallel I can think of is presidential administrations. Which, well, there is probably a lot of overlap in the kind of maniac it takes to become a president and an NFL head coach.

I think sometimes it depends on the incoming philosophy. No point in keeping your corner back coach if you're changing from a man cover off coverage scheme to a jamming zone one kind of thing. I think you also run into issues with competing philosophies sometimes like the situation in Carolina with meeks. There's also probably situations too where the whole staff is a bunch of old school boomers and you want a completely fresh, rebuilt from the ground up approach. Get rid of say a defensive bend but don't break defense and run game, clock management based offensive philosophy to a new modern high speed offense, blitzing defensive one. I think there's a few coaches though that serve as stuff like "quality control" where they may not have a specific job but they can keep players motivated and know the ins and outs of the fundamentals where they're valuable just floating in different areas who stick around.

Shrimpy posted:

If a head coach has 100 direct reports that seems problematic from the jump.

I do wonder how organizational structure works within NFL teams though. Like -- does the defensive line coach report to the defensive coordinator report to the head coach? Or is it just a free-for-all where everything lines up under the head coach?

It's not necessarily direct reports but leadership is about ownership - If a bunch of players gently caress up off the field its often the head coach who ends up having to answer questions about what kind of atmosphere is being fostered within the team etc. Its kind of my point, you rely on your subordinates to ensure their corners are covered which requires a lot of trust.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Disregard my above post. that is how it works.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1361329624685432836

:shrug:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well, he's paid his dues and earned it!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ew.

For those who don't remember, he took formally took over for his father Bill as GM of the Colts in 2009, but it was suspected he'd been doing a lot before that as well. The Colts drafting in those years was mostly bad. His Wikipedia stub is somehow even less thrilling:

Wikipedia posted:

On November 27, 2009, he was promoted by Colts owner Jim Irsay to his position. He had previously served in other roles in the Colts football operations. He concurrently extended his contract through the 2012 season.[1] His father was the President of the team, Bill Polian.[2] Both Polians were fired by Irsay following the 2011 season in which the team posted a 2–14 record.[3] On May 2, 2013, he was hired by Jacksonville Jaguars as Director of Pro Personnel.[4] In January of 2020, he was no longer part of the Jaguars' organization. [5] On February, 15th, 2021 Polian was Hired by The Washington Football Team as the Director of Pro Personnel.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you were wondering, the answer is yes, hurney was hired by Bill Polian on his way out the door in Carolina.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/wyche89/status/1364338828228628483

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

We joke about McVay assistants getting poached extremely quickly and I want to see if this holds true now that a black man is standing next to McVay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Ches Neckbeard posted:

We joke about McVay assistants getting poached extremely quickly and I want to see if this holds true now that a black man is standing next to McVay.

The unstoppable force of the fetishisation of McCay vs the immovable object of holding back black coaches from promotion.