Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
You’ve been around the block a few times. Maybe you’re an experienced thief, a respected priest, or perhaps you were a sergeant in the Last War. Over the past two years, life around Khorvaire has begun to settle into some degree of a tense calm. You do what you can to get by day-to-day, but for some reason, you keep getting a nagging feeling that there’s something bigger that you should be doing, something that will impact not just yourself, but the whole country… the whole world. Then, late one afternoon, a Dragonborn courier approaches you with a small wooden case. After confirming your name, he respectfully hands it off to you with a nod and disappears. Inside, you find a handful of platinum pieces and a note, which reads:

quote:

Hail,

We have heard many things about you, and humbly request your aid in a matter of grave concern to all of Khorvaire. We would like you to meet us in the Drunken Dragon in the Clifftop district of Sharn at noon on 20 Olarune. Enclosed should be enough coin to cover travel. We will offer additional compensation at our meeting should you choose to accept our offer, and of course, further still upon completion.

Respectfully,
The Order

You can’t help but feel the threads of fate pulling you towards this meeting, nor can you ignore the significance of the meeting date--surely there must be a reason for… whoever they are… to be calling on in on the anniversary of the Day of Mourning. Hopefully that reason isn’t as ominous as it feels in your gut.

---

Welcome to Khorvaire Died Screaming! This will be a game focused on interacting with the people of Khorvaire and investigating mysteries. Combat will be present, but not at the forefront. In this game, your party will be tasked with addressing matters that could alter the fate of the continent - or even the world.

The game will be co-DM’d by myself and Look Around You. We will be doing Play By Discord. This is all to account for weird-rear end schedules and hopefully keep the game moving at a decent pace! We will take character submissions in this thread.

---

Character Creation Rules:
Starting Level: 5
Background: One
Themes: Yes
Starting Gear: One magic item <= level 6, one magic item <= level 5, one magic item <= level 4
Starting Gold: 840gp
Bonus Feats:
Improved Defenses
Melee Training
One Expertise
Inherent bonuses are on
Bans:
Dragonmark feats; you can still be dragonmarked, but the feats are wildly unbalanced. We can figure out workarounds for paragon paths if necessary.
Pixies
Maybe not the Paladin|Warlock hybrid
Just a general rule of: try not to do anything too game-breaking. We’re all here to have fun as a group and it’s less fun for everyone when someone is too OP

In addition to your backstory, please ensure you answer the following questions somewhere in your app:

-What did you do in the war?

-What have you been doing since?

-What are your thoughts on fate?

-What kind of mark do you want to leave on the world?

-What compelled you to take this job?

---

Please join the discord server here: https://discord.gg/6v5RZjc

Applications close at 11:59pm eastern US time on 9/21!!

ETA: Please add a PDF of your character sheet to your app!

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Character Submission Tracker:
pre:
Player		Character	Race		Class		Role		Source		Stats		Sheet?	Bkgnd?
PMush Perfect	Adaire		Kalashtar	Warlock		Striker		Arcane		CHA/INT		Yes	Yes
berenzen	Akros		Half-Orc	Ranger		Striker		Martial		STR/DEX		Yes	Yes
Relentless	Vitrin		Minotaur	Barbarian	Striker		Primal		STR/CON		Yes	Yes
Captain Walker	Val		Human		Rogue		Striker		Martial		DEX/CHA		Yes	Yes
Old KY Shark	Inspector Lim	Changeling	Monk		Striker		Psionic		DEX/CHA		Yes	Yes

Ryuujin		Rikard		Mul		Warpriest	Leader		Divine		WIS/CON		Yes	Yes	
Capfalcon	Baern		Dwarf		Warlord		Leader		Martial		STR/INT		Yes	Yes

Unknown Qty	Main-gauche	Warforged	Swordmage	Defender	Arcane		INT/CON		Yes	Yes	

NovaLion	Nephrex		Tiefling	Psion		Controller	Psionic		CHA|INT		Yes	Yes
ProfessorCirno	Kava Ringtail	Rzrclw Shifter	Druid		Controller	Primal		DEX|WIS		Yes	Yes
Rhjamiz		Killian Graves	Human		Mage		Controller	Arcane		INT/CHA		Yes	NO

Plutonis	Index		Warforged	Wiz|Art		Con|Lead	Arcane		INT/CON		Yes	Yes
TheArchimage	NilesGanderhall	Half-Elf	Bard|Pal	Lead|Def	Arcn|Div	CHA/WIS		Yes	Yes
Wahad		Camilla		Genasi		Wiz|Fight	Con|Def		Arcn|Mrtl	INT/STR		Yes	Yes

Klungar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 14, 2020

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I'm interested! I only played a little bit of 4e but I'll roll something up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Image Source: Kika-alf

Adaire of Thelanis
Immortal Kalashtar Warlock, Fey Pact
Striker - Arcane - Charisma Primary
Character Sheet: Orokos - PDF

It has been almost two millennia since the Kalashtar fled Dal Quor, and found a place in Khorvaire, spreading upon the Prime Material Plane among the mortal races. Ask a human, an elf, even the most learned of the Kalashtar themselves, and they will tell you this story as truth, with all the certainty of historical and scientific fact. They are mostly correct; unbeknownst to all but the longest-lived of races, there were some who fled the Realm of Dreams that felt the Material Plane to be stifling. Concrete laws, abundance of mortals, and constant warfare, it was, for a rare few, altogether too much. Saying nothing even to their fellows, these rare few found a different home: Thelanis, the Faerie Court, forming symbiotic relationships with the eladrin and fey.

Adaire is the product of one such union, and spent many centuries living in the enchanted forests, quite content with her immortal life. All of this changed, suddenly and violently, during the final years of the Last War. The Day of Mourning, which destroyed the nation of Cyre and twisted its remains, sent ripples through all of the planes, Thelanis included. Terrible blights and aberrations, beings with no right to exist in the Faerie Court, began to appear, leaking through tears in reality. Adaire found this unacceptable, and entered the Material Plane with a single goal, to find the source of this catastrophe, and put an end to it.

This proved to be much more difficult than she anticipated. The twisted, corrupted space of the Mournlands repelled her from entry, eating away at her very existence. Since that day, Adaire has wandered Khorvaire, destroying the aberrant perversions wherever she could find them, always seeking a way to gain the strength to enter Cyre and ends its curse. This is her fate, her very purpose, and the message from the Order is the first, best lead she has had in some time. Whatever the path forward is, she will walk it, pursuing the destiny she has chosen for herself.

-----

For most of it, Adaire lived her life in Thelanis completely unaware and uncaring about mortal concerns. After the Day of Mourning, she traveled to the Material Plane, and began to investigate what the cause of this multidimensional catastrophe could be, and how to put an end to the ever-increasing damage.

Much the same, now with more of a focus on becoming strong enough to survive the twisted effects of the Mournlands that repel her kind.

Short-sighted mortals, they see fate as something immutable, that must be obeyed, or resisted. Adaire has lived much too long to have such a simple view, and prefers to think of it as something that can be bargained with. Compromised with. Tricked.

Ideally, to undo the damage caused by the festering wound that was once Cyre. Failing that, to at least keep it contained within the Material Plane, and out of Thelanis.

A lack of other credible leads. Too much conflicting information, too many attempts to get into the Mournlands on her own that failed. The message she received from 'The Order', if nothing else, came at a serendipitous time.

----

I've been playing D&D 4e on and off since the first public playtests, and I'm always happy to see a new game. If need be, I can change Adaire's class, but it's been a while since I played a Striker, so that's definitely my preference.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 14, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Looking at an archaeologist/dungeon crawler trying to get to the bottom of the Day of Mourning. A scholar with a connection to nature, but a fondness for insects rather than the bigger predators, possibly because of all his dungeon crawling.

Mechanically a Swarm Druid, probably hybrid with Serene Runepriest. So a mostly melee range controller with some tankiness and off tank capability.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ok, I lied. I made a Half-Orc Pirate Ranger instead. Picture incoming, when I find one that fits well.

Akros
Orokos Sheet
Music

What did you do in the war?

The Stormbreaker was a gun for hire during the war. We raided supply lines of whoever wasn't our highest bidder at the time. We looted merchant ships, crippled vessels of war, and capsized an elemental galleon or two- the Lyrandar house weren't too happy about that, nor when we when renames the ship to its new moniker after we did that. Wasn't our fault that the ship was undermanned, or they decided that chasing a pirate, sorry, privateer for 3 days straight into a reef that we'd mapped out previously was a productive thing to do.

What have you been doing since?

After the war, I had enough plunder and enough people that had sworn vengance on my head that I decided that it was a good time to lay low for a while. Plus, there was the whole Treaty of Thronehold that told me that officially pirating was looked down upon. So I took a few berths on some smaller ships, less pirating more guarding for merchant vessels. Helped to know the local waters and local call signs to keep us away from any pirating vessels, usually. It paid ok, let me relax from the horrors of the war, and provide a safe haven from the assassins of some nobles that I had helped relieve of thier burden of wealth.

What are your thoughts on fate?

She's a fickle bitch, with a penchant of schadenfreude and mirthful callousness. Talking straight? I don't think it's a thing. This whole buggered idea that the world is the way it is because it's written out before hand? I cast it into the Devourer's maw. That's the talk of kings and nobles when they want to convince you that they deserve to be where they are, and don't you think about rising from your place. We make our own fate, and the people that get lucky enough? They're the ones that make it into the stories.

What kind of mark do you want to leave on the world

It's be nice to have some ballads and shanties written about me. I figure that my name will fade into history like so many countless others. Eventually I'd like to settle down, have a couple kids, and try to give them a world that they would enjoy living in.

What compelled you to take this job

I've been feeling the adventuring itch for a while. Like something's calling out to me. Maybe it's the just the timing with the anniversary of the Day of Mourning, and that I've never heard of a 'The Order' before. There seems to be a weight of importance to this that I just can't seem to ignore. So of course, I'm going to sail headlong into the winds, bearing my teeth into the storm and laugh as I see where this takes me.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 14, 2020

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Registering interest, I'll get a character up later!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Oooo! It’s 4e and Eberron so I can’t not apply, but the focus on the larger world is refreshing. The setting has so much more going on than FR and it’s perfect for intrigue.

Expect an arcane character with high INT; either artificer or bard.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 11, 2020

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Nephrex "Nowhere"

Music
Orokos | PDF

Born to human parents towards the end of the Last War, Nephrex's "malformations" at birth were always seen as a boon to his family and his home. It was always thought he was "meant for greatness" (something his mom would constantly tell him), and when he began to manifest his mental prowess the nation's military intelligence wing was quick to enlist his aid. He spent the majority of his adult life extracting precious thoughts from prisoners of war when all other avenues had failed. It was almost unheard of that he ever had to face the hard realities of the war first hand, which only fed into the illusion that his subjects were delusional in their thoughts and that the world wasn't as bad as they thought.

This all changed, of course, on the Day of Mourning. Dispatched to an outpost on the Breland border to assist in investigations there, the catastrophe shook him to his very core. His friends, his family, all gone in a single instant. Alone and without direction, Nephrex was sent into a spiral of insecurity and doubt. Despondent, he wandered aimlessly towards Sharn. There wasn't so much hope, as he had no idea what else to do. A fellow survivor would eventually take him in, even going so far as to asserting his qualifications to a local Count for courtier duties. When asked where "such a creature could possibly come from", he answered in morose tone: "Nowhere." He's since been put to use primarily as an in-house investigator of sorts.

quote:

During the war, Nephrex worked as an interrogator for a contingent from Cyre. His telepathic abilities coupled with a knack for putting subjects at ease gave him considerable favor with his superiors, and eventually he took the virtue name "Know" when it was casually remarked that Nephrex always "seemed to Know".

Nephrex has taken up work as a wandering Courtier, listening to the idle thoughts of his patron's friends, colleagues, rivals, etc. It isn't work burdened with glorious purpose, but it fills the void of time and perhaps he won't feel as responsible for missing potential notes that could have prevented disaster.

"I've looked into the minds of hundreds of men across all races. Invariably, they all think the same thing of fate: the universe, the gods, they're doing this to me. They're all wrong. The world and our place in it is what we make of it, not random chance."

What kind of mark do you want to leave on the world?
"I need to find out what happened on the Day, and how I missed it."

What compelled you to take this job?
"They've heard many things about me. Either they mean work as courtier or...something much more problematic. Either way, I need to know what they know, and perhaps they know something that can help me find what I missed on the Day."

Voltron Option
There are at least 2 other warforged in here, and I think a whole team of mechs would be both funny and fun.

NULL

Music
Orokos | PDF

Originally built as a collaboration between a minor artificer and a near-useless wizard, NULL was constructed with the intent of literally carrying his would-be masters around in a sedia gestatoria. Before they had to chance to activate him and put him to use, they were both conscripted into the War and NULL was taken as a front line troop.

The general ineptitude of his creators is apparent when you have a chance to converse with NULL, because they didn't make him the sharpest sword in the scabbard. He is, at the very least, overtly friendly and relatively positive. He's always excited to help and lift anything heavy you might need moved.

quote:

"Nasty business, that. Mostly I was set up on front lines and held it there. Before too long I was conscripted into service under a great wizard, as part of his personal retinue. When the Day of Mourning came, I survived when they did not."

"I operate as the warehouse supervisor for the Hammer & Throne, local draft house. I'm very good at moving the ale kegs."

"I'm not convinced Fate has anything in store for me or my kind, but I'm sure it's a sight better than the past."

"I think we should rebuild Cyre. I can help with the lifting."

"Well the letter says they need help, and if I wasn't built to help I don't know what for."

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 18, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Oh poo poo I want in on this. Not sure what I want to apply with though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Index, Artificer/Wizard Hybrid
PDF

The end of the Last War resulted in many Warforged wandering around Khorvaire, relieved from their duty to the Kingdom and Dragonmarked Houses. Many became to work as adventurers and mercenaries, went on to join the Lord of Blades in the ruins of Cyre, and a very few decided to use their new freedom in order to study and learn about the nature of life itself and the world around them, with Index being one of these. Formerly one of the many Warforged that worked helping and maintaining the Creation Forges that spawned thousands of his fellows during the War, Index found himself without a purpose after the decommissioning of these huge machines and yet intrigued by the very nature of them... and himself. A curious and inquisitive soul by nature, he joined House Sivis and worked as a steward at the Library of Korranberg, hoping to satisfy the persistent question that has gnawed on his very being ever since his days working at the Forges.

"What is the nature of a sentient being's soul, and how was it possible to ascribe them to Warforged?" This mystery has eluded him for years, and with the resources of the Library not leading him any closer to the answer he has sought, he now wishes to take his research to the only place where he could find it... The Draconic Prophecy of Argonessen, a record of the creation of the World and all of the events that happened or will happen in the future and past. Believing them to not only be the sole guide towards the answer to his question, Index decided that he would travel to the land of Dragons and study it by himself, being perhaps the first Warforged to do so. Unfortunately, such a daunting journey to the eastern continent would require far more resources that he could actually acquire, and now he is at a loss on how to prepare for that...

quote:

"I was one of the many maintenance crews of House Cannith's Creation Forge #3 in Aundair. Helping with the creation of more and more of my kind that were sent to battlefront was... well, not a very pleasant experience on retrospect, yet it was a valuable one when it came to gaining some measure of knowledge about alchemical processes and set me on my current path."

quote:

"After #3 was shut down and House Cannith let us walk away, I decided to work for House Sivis in order to feed this lingering curiosity that I felt about the metaphysical mysteries of the world. Working as a librarian allowed me to do some research of my own, including even a certain amount of magical research in the off-side, although not on the same level as professionals on the field."

quote:

"Thoughts? If anything I'm trying to actually know what it actually is before I can give any thoughts on the matter. Many of my kind are plagued by the idea of finding a purpose, and I believe the concept of Fate is something that other sentients use to find theirs. Still, the existence of the Draconic Prophecy, this mount that I must climb... It perhaps could clue me on the nature of this concept or even if it actually exists."

quote:

"A mark is not important, but rather the contribution that one makes to a cause or the welfare of all. If my research brings some light to this fog that clouds the minds of many of those who search for the truth, then that by itself is a good enough motivation to press on."

quote:

"According to calculations I have made through several nights, the amount of money necessary for my pilgrimage to Argonessen would take several decades of work in my current laboral situation. Not to mention of course, the mystery of this wonderful little note. A threat that menaces all of Khorvaire? Who sent it? What is the nature of the threat? Why did they search for a mere librarian like myself? A seeker of knowledge cannot just ignore that!"

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 14, 2020

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Vitrin, The (Charge) Barbarian

Character Sheet
PDF Character Sheet

Like a lot of the Minotaur tribes of Droaam, Vitrin didn't exactly have a lot of career choices growing up. He hunted, he killed interlopers, he fought the other tribes. The war, though. The war was their chance. Their chance to take land, expand, fight for glory. Create a nation of their own. Do something GREAT in the name of the Bloodhorn tribe. For all of us shunned by the humans and elves and dwarves. For Droaam.

Unfortunately, Vitrin was part of one of the advanced units. Seeing how much land they could take, how far they could push Breland. At first their enemy fell back, unwilling to fight for wasteland, but then they came to the verdant plains. Land worth fighting for. They were outnumbered, but no matter. They broke the Brelander army under their charge... but soon the humans recovered, surrounding them. Once Chief Ridwak fell, the rest soon followed.

But, instead of executing their prisoners, the Brelander commander saw how effective they had been and pressed them into service to fight Breland's enemies. Their war rations weren't great... but more plentiful than what Vitrin had at home. He did his job, he got fed. They put his tracking skills to use, and found an odd home in the Breland Army's vanguard. Turns out breaking the enemy's ranks with a charge is significantly more effective if you follow it up with a bunch of pikemen pressing the advantage.

Against all odds, Vitrin survived the war, over two dozen battles. He apparently made quite the impression, because afterwards, he was approached by a couple different mercenary companies. He doesn't particularly remember why, and suspects a fair amount of whiskey might have been involved, but he signed up with the Iron Wolves. Things were good for a couple of years... But all good things must come to an end. The Iron Wolves' leadership changed, and the new Commander was significantly less friendly to the more monstrous of their members. It started with the lizardman archer in his squad having his bow broken, and then one of the full blooded orcs was beaten in the middle of the night... Vitrin saw the writing on the wall, and went into business for himself.

Vitrin isn't a particularly religious person, but between the war and the mercenary life... He's starting to think he might be destined for something. Of the Bloodhorn warband he went out with years ago, he was the only one who hadn't returned home, under the protection of the Daughters. The rest were too scarred, mentally or physically. Too unwilling to trust someone not from their homeland. Vitrin alone was still out in the world. All the times he should have died, but twisted out of the way at the last second, or had an arrow hit the buckle on his armor. He wasn't sure what life had in store for him, what god or goddess might be watching out for him. But whatever the plan is... one day the bards will sing tale of Vitrin The Valorous, Slayer Of... Maybe a Beholder? Wyvern? Probably not a dragon. But maybe...

But this offer, on this day? Vitrin has been taking some bounty hunter jobs, tracking down escaped prisoners and one war criminal, but they just didn't pay that great. Sharn was great, but, too many people all trying to climb on top of one another. Literally. Hard to get ahead, nevermind properly make a name for himself. Maybe this job where the next leg of his story leads. Even if not... if they pay as well as the invite indicates, maybe he'll start his own Company. Bring glory to the Bloodhorn name after all.

Used to DM 4e, never got a ton of opportunities to play, but charge barb just always seemed like simple and stupid fun. I tried to go with a lot of flavor and not over optimize... but Badge Of The Berserker is just so goddamn good for this.

I also built him as a fighter who knocks everybody over. For reasons. Good ones.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 17, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Relentless posted:

Interested, quite possibly building a charge barb to counter all your guys Int and Cha.
Too many brains. Need some unbrains.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Vivian Blackstrand

Orokos sheet

The Lhazaar Principalities are host to all types, and depending on when and where you are, you could be dealing with hard-working, honest businessmen or cutthroat pirates that pillage and extort. Generally speaking, chivalry or, indeed, honor in any form beyond honor among thieves is a rare sight. Enter Vivian, a self-proclaimed knight for hire, promising to take any protection or escort job and cut down anything that would stand in the client's way. They have a reputation of being reliable, strong, oddly quiet, and possessing of an aura that exudes coolheadedness and yet also menace. There are many rumors of their creation and nature as well. Some state that their words are rare as they are forever focused on the next target to kill, or perhaps their knowledge of language is limited due to being raised by rabid beasts. Whatever the case, they are a visible presence when traveling from isle to isle.

In reality, Vivian has a strong natural magnetism and poise, but has difficulty speaking to others, often using as few words as possible or simply presenting prewritten thoughts and responses to situations. Their upbringing is one they're still not entirely sure of themselves, but they're fairly certain their lineage contains at least some form of monster in it just based on this bestial ferocity that overcomes them in times of conflict. Despite their best efforts to be an upstanding knight that reassures their clients that there is at least some order and honor to the world, they've been branded a "dark knight" and became the subject of many unflattering rumors. Not one to give up easily, however, Vivian has done their best to maintain this "dark knight" image and continue to profit off of their strong sword arm and strong sense of justice.

GM posted:

There's a bit of fidgeting from Vivian as they begin to flip through a set of notes. They at first try to offer them as something to read, but then sigh. "...I fought off pirates, bandits, and monsters escorting couriers and merchants. It was...a chaotic time. Taverns were very loud, very crowded, and low on supplies. I don't like remembering those times."

GM posted:

"W-well, now that the pirates have settled back down, I can get bodyguard work anywhere, but unless work takes me somewhere, I'd rather stick to the isles. Jobs are usually shorter there, and I don't have as many awkward silences with people...That's not to say I can't be with a group! I just don't have a lot to say."

GM posted:

They put a lot of thought into this particular answer, raise a finger to answer, then lower it and simply write out a response.

I don't think anyone's path is ever truly set in stone. You can always do something different or make a different choice, even if it's not immediately obvious or available. Life is not so unfair that you would find yourself stuck in an unwinnable situation without having made at least one decision on your part. Or at least, I'd like to think that. My job isn't going as well as I hope it would, and neither is my search for friends, but I'll adapt and find another way to make it happen.

GM posted:

"I'd like...to be remembered as a knight and a hero, and make lots of friends, rather than be remembered as this...'black-hearted steel-clad monster that can stare into your soul.' If I have to get over this...speech impediment to do it, I will."

GM posted:

Without hesitation, they produce a pre-written response.

Salutations, and thank you for your offer! I am quite pleased to learn that my exploits are known across Khorvaire, and even moreso that you find such a grave matter worthy of my attention. If someone is willing to place enough trust so as to pay for travel from Regalport to Sharn, then I find myself obligated to hear their request, and more than likely accept it the job and its associated terms are not unreasonable. Let us hope for a mutually profitable business venture.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 14, 2020

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kava Ringtail, Razorclaw Shifter Druid
PDF here

Across the southern reaches of the, uh, Eldeen Reaches, the Towering Woods and Byeshk Mountains form a barrier dividing the Reaches and Droaam, the nation of monsters. But political boundaries have always meant slightly less to the druids and shifter septs that roam the forest, and while the great Lycanthropy Purge either killed all lycanthropes or pushed them out of the woods in the history books, the truth o the matter is far more hazy. Between Eldeen and Droaam proper are many groups of shifters who maintain relations with their cousins across the mountains, trading goods and stories and knowledge and, on occasion, maintaining, ah, "deeper" relations.

Kava Ringtail is the particularly strange daughter of a pureblood were-tiger. With her exceptional knack for druidic power and unlikely birth, she was fostered quickly to the Moonspeakers, the spiritual leaders of both shifters and lycanthropes. Her talent was great enough that she came to be apprenticed not only to the Moonspeakers, but to the more traditional Wardens of the Wood as well, and when it came time for Eldeen to split from Aundair, she was present for the announcement. The trip was enough to spark something new and very irresponsible in her - a desire and love to travel. While acting as minor delegate, she was entranced with what she saw of the outside world, and has pushed herself forward to work as delegate on other Eldeen diplomatic matters.

Though she lacks her mother's cleverness (and indeed, while few would comment on her intelligence to her face, likewise few would disagree with her lack of it in private), she has incredible instincts and has passed her druidic fellowship and apprenticeship with flying colors. She constantly looks like she wants to say something, and has troubles repressing her emotions and not acting on impulse. With the arrival of the box, she is ecstatic - though much of her Moonspeaker brothers and sisters less so. She's taken up the "civilized" clothing she's collected, made sure she had her prized pocket watch she's positive will impress all the other city-folk she's going to come across and, even as those around her warn it might not be the best idea, ventured out to Sharn.

Not much, till the end. I was a cub for most of the war, learning to better intermingle my Moonspeaker training with the teachings of the Wardens of the Woods, while everyone else was off kiling each other over who gets to wear a special hat. Near the end though, I'm proud to say I was part of the delegation that announced our formal secession. Hah! You should've seen how mad they were! Not that they could do anything, of course. Aundair was drained down and back again.

Travelling, best I can. Not many people know it but Eldeen keeps pretty good relationships with a lot of other places. We kinda have to - we know Aundair would take us back by force if they could, so the Wardens are always trying to keep in touch with other places. Also, much as we druids like to pride ourselves in self-reliance, it doesn't change the fact that this is a big world filled with lots of people with lots of needs, and every person's a part of a greater sept. Of course, just because we NEED to be chummy with others doesn't mean everyone *wants* to be, so it hasn't been too hard for me to claim most job that involve leaving the woods.

Sounds like a load of rubbish. Oh, I've been told I got some kinda grand fate probably, because I'm theoretically a first generation shifter, but that doesn't stop the bugs from biting. The woods don't care about destiny, animals don't care about destiny. Only the races of men think themselves so important. And dragons, but who knows what their deal is, anyhow.

I heard folks out there still look down on us shifters. I mark I'm about as shifter-y as it gets. Would be nice to prove 'em all wrong. And speaking of proving them wrong, I wanna prove the other Moonspeakers wrong. They're so sure me venturing out is nothing but trouble. But how bad could this really be? Oh, oh! I also wanna show up some Silver Light types. You know, the kind that openly hunted my kind? Yeah. Them.

Never been to Sharn. I mean, there's a few other reasons, but that's the biggest one, simple as it may seem. A proper druid can't just live in one forest their whole life. As a Warden of the Woods, I'm to help tie together the wilds and civilization and lead them to coexist peacefully. As a Moonspeaker I'm called to be spiritual leader to my kin. And as a druid, my duty is to safeguard Khorvaire from whatever extra-planar nasties might be abouts. A big important meeting like this, on THAT day? Sounds like they need someone who can do all of the above. And I don't back down when I'm needed.

...Ok, that's my good dutiful answer, but also, I've never been to Sharn! I've heard it's incredible! Do you think they'll like my coat? What about my pocketwatch? It's a REALLY nice pocketwatch. You won't believe the strings I had to pull to get it. Oh, don't worry, I've already been told everything there's a rude rear end in a top hat. Whatever. I'll win them over with sheer force of personality.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 20, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Going to make a Dwarven Fighter-type (not sure of exact class yet) who really just wants to be part of the nouveau riche in the Aurum.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Rickard Human (Mul mechanically) Warpriest PDF of Sheet

Rickard was always a wise child, smart in his own way, and filled with a voracious desire for more knowledge. Orphaned at a young age, raised in a church, he began his search for knowledge among the many books of the church. Learning how to tap into the divine power as it aided his search for knowledge. In time the church could not contain his desire for knowledge and lost lore. He went out into the world, first visiting what great libraries and universities he could. Though the war proved a bit of a difficulty. From time to time he was dragooned into one side of the war or another as one kingdom needed more soldiers or another needed more healers. These were distractions, annoyances, still he certainly helped out when necessary. Eventually he moved on from universities and libraries and began to scour ruins and dungeons for lost wisdom, forgotten relics, and anything else he can learn.

Eventually the war ended and in a way even he couldn't ignore. The Day of Mourning. And no one knew how it happened or who caused it. This perked Rickard's interest. This was beyond finding some lost relic, discovering some long forgotten lore, or deciphering an ancient language. This was something knew, a great big mystery. A challenge. Rickard's thirst for knowledge was fully engaged and he went about trying to find out the secret's behind the Day of Mourning.

And then he received the message. Cryptic. Possibly a lead on finding the secret to the Day of Mourning. Or at least granting him funding that could help him continue his own search. He collected his things and set out to meet this mysterious Order.

Mostly investigating ruins and dungeons in search of lost knowledge and artifacts. But I could not help getting drafted into the front line as a healer or soldier time and time again.

Doing what I can to try and get to the bottom of the Day of the Mourning.

Fate? I don't think of fate. Knowledge is everything, and determination, not letting oneself give oneself over to fate.

I wish to leave the world a more knowledgeable place, finding the secret behind the Day of the Mourning and perhaps even finding some way to fix the Mournland.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 13, 2020

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Val, Changeling Spy for the Cyran Royal Court
Jairaen "Joker" Valmont, Human Rogue

It's incredible how willingly people believe their eyes and ears instead of their guts. Guild Valmont was feared by four nations, but the Royal Eyes couldn't seem to find their location. The face of Kolin Valmont, their mastermind, face was on wanted posters all over Sharn, but the Citadel could never find him. Even scrying and divination never revealed anything about Cyre's five most notorious state-sanctioned operatives. How could you not suspect changeling trickery? Some did, to be sure, but Jairaen invariably caught wind and sent Qira to hunt them down. The only person who knew anything for sure was Fandara Aberdeen, the Cyran courtier who made sure the Valmonts were feared appopriately. And, of course, the guy wearing their faces and names. Myself.

Aberdeen's family was new money and they did not come by it honestly. They were war profiteers and everyone new it. Fandara, to her credit was a little more forward-thinking. World wars are bad for business; if your cargo doesn't get seized by suspicious border guards, it's just as likely to be destroyed by a wyvern strike on a nearby encampment. World tensions stoke competition, and Fandara was willing to pay up front to get someone's rear end on the throne of Galifar. Preferably a Cyran rear end, but she was perhaps less picky than Queen Dannel would have liked. Everything I did as the Valmonts was in service of that goal. It was early in Olarune when Fandara told me that it was almost over. "Go take a vacation," she said. "Take the whole month off, relax, because the real work waits."

That's why I was in Sharn that day. I was kicking back in a place called the Drunken Dragon. Not an inn, a restaurant; that's what they call the fancy Upper Plateau pubs with good eating but no rooms. I'd just ordered a hard Karrnathi vodka to go; it was expensive, but I'd figured it was time to head home. I didn't expect so much as a bar fight to happen, let alone a historic catastrophe. But it did happen, and I felt it right away, like so many others something truly horrible had come to pass, with millions of lives snuffed out in moments. Then, of course, we saw it over the horizon. No sound. Just the fog, and the oppressive silence that dug into your brain.

And a thought came to me unbidden. Simple thought, but a terrifying one; four tiny little words that snuck into my head and never left, haunting me to this day. The kind of thought you only have if you've spent your life killing and stealing for your country; if you're a Citadel spy, you've had it at some point when you read in the Chronicle about some atrocity committed by an Emerald Claw cell or a Silver Flame extremist that was part of some scheme you were told to engineer. But on that particular day, I know was the only one thinking: "Did I do that?"

No. No, of course not. How do you store all that death and devastation in a package small enough to steal and deliver to the palace? When would I even have done that? I think I'd know if I was carrying a doomsday weapon. Nah, of course it wasn't my fault.

But I could never be sure.

These days, the Valmonts are considered another casualty of the Mourning. It's close enough to the truth; I can't even take off the Jairaen mask I wear, and I certainly tried. For weeks, the first thing I'd do every day was look in the mirror and try to change back, to remind myself I wasn't the guy I saw in there who killed nearly three million people. Every day I spent a little less time trying. Eventually I stopped. These days, I'm nothing special. Another Cyran refugee with some skill with a knife and a thousand-yard stare.

These days, where other people speak of the Mournland in hushed tones, I'm already planning a trip. One day, I'll walk right into those grey mists, right up to the ruins of Metrol, and I'll find whatever dread spell or eldritch artifact that caused all that death. I'll drop it at my feet and start a fire, and stand in it until the mists have burned away and there's nothing left of the Mourning but a pile of ash.

It's a nice loving dream, anyway. So what's this job pay?

Awful poo poo for awful people.

Less-awful poo poo for less-awful people, mostly. Every noble family and dragonmarked house has a dozen people in fancy shirts facing messy problems, and they pay me to clean up. Sometimes, when I'm feeling generous, I'll take a pay cut to do really awful poo poo to really awful people who actually deserve it.

Never touch the stuff.

Does it count if I want to undo the marks I've already left? Even if it's too late?

Oh, well, there's this geas that means I'm honor bound to protect Khorvaire from threats and by the Host, what a stupid question. Cash up front, you have my interest. Offer me something real, something besides more cash, and maybe you'll have my attention.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 14, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Image Source
You know, mother always said you could tell what kind of person someone was by the stories they told others. Haven't found anyone that proved her wrong.

Baern of Clan Doldarun
Dwarven Warlord, Tactical Presence
Leader - Martial - Strength Primary
Character Sheet

I cut my teeth on border skirmishes with the Karns. We'd declared independence almost 50 years before that point. Was one of the only things you'd find a Doldarun and a Kolkarun agreeing on, even till today. But Karns are nothing if not stubborn and prideful. So, they made it clear they never really accepted it, and we had no end of border skirmishes. Normally, I'd tell you all the grand stories about fightin' giants made out of skeletons and dark knights riding zombie chargers, but I can tell you're drifting a bit, so I'll spare you this time. Anyway, I showed I was made of sterner stuff than the average grunt and was brought back to the clanhold to help the next batch of recruits learn how to swing a warhammer without breaking their own wrists. Cushy job, but I knew it was only for a little while. Soon enough, they had me leading those raw recruits into the Realm Below to push back the monsters down there.

I don't tell those stories about our first few forays too often. They aren't good ones.

Since what? The war ended? Bah! That's the problem with people in the Five Nations. They think the whole world revolves around them. The aberrations in Dol Udar don't give two spits about the Day of Mourning! No, the War Below is still going, and I've been fighting down there since. Bought my share of treasure with blood and steel, and I've helped my sisters set up a good sized forge back in the clan hold. There doin' the family proud with their craft, but they don't have a head for the business side of things. 'Course, I don't have much of one either! Ha! But when you spread the wealth around like I have, you end up sporting copper rings like mine before long. Met many fine folk in the Aurum who are more than happy to give some advice when we need it.

More recently, though, I'm here on this lightning rail because I got an interesting package in the mail. Now, it's none of your business what it is, but I've told my family about it, and they agree it's something that bears looking into. Anyway, I put in for a bit of leave, and you should have heard the commotion in the barracks. Fresh recruits I hadn't traded two words with except to chew them out for their sloppy form were fallin' over themselves, begging me not to go!

Ha! It's good to know I'll be missed.

Gettin' a bit more philosophical, huh? Hm. Well, the way I see it, a clan's fate is bound together, like strands of a rope. They're all tied together, and you can't change the lot of 'em. A rope is a rope is a rope. But a thread's a fair bit smaller than that rope, and I don't think fate has eyes good enough to spot a strand or two out of place. 'Course, you get too many strands out of place and the whole thing snaps.

I want them to be telling stories about me long after I'm gone. Stories of glory and valor and riches beyond compare. You know, the best kinds of stories! What's a life worth if people don't remember you when you're gone? And even that ain't worth much if you aren't enjoying yourself along the way!

Can't take a hint, can ya? I said, it's between me and my kin.

...You still here? ...Fine, I can see you won't let me alone. Honestly, you'll probably be disappointed. It's not that good of a story.

Our story starts when I receive this mysterious package from an unknown benefactor, telling me to be in Sharn on the anniversary of the Day of Mourning to hear out a job offer while also paying my way to travel in comfort. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Mysterious and generous patron wants to hire you for a secret job that might be tied to the greatest mystery in the Five Nations? This is a very promising start to a story! I wonder why he didn't want to tell it?" Well, the reason is that I'm still ashamed I didn't jump at it. No, I hemmed and hawed, stalling about making the decision. After all, I had scouting reports to read, Aurum meetings to attend, forge orders to organize, and all sorts of other "important" things to do.

In short, I'd gotten used to the predictable, comfortable, and quite boring life I'd built for myself.

Thankfully, Bukdra, one of my sisters who was blessed with far more sense that myself, asked when I was leaving over dinner a few days ago. I told her offhand that I was still thinking it over, and before I could get another word out, she let me have it! Told me that she'd never forgive me if I didn't go and asked if I just wanted to be a clerk for the rest of my life? Needless to say, that put things in perspective from me. After spending a day or so setting affairs in order, she's seeing me off at the rail station, still wearing that smug grin on her face.

But that's family for you. No one's more likely to set you straight when you need it, but they're also never going to let you forget it.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 14, 2020

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Niles Ganderhall
Half-Elf Bard|Paladin of The Blood of Vol
Orokos | PDF

- What did you do during the war?
You wanna hear about what happened in the war? Alright, lemme tell you all about some bullshit.

So I got my start like many others in the army. Can you guess which one? Hey, you're right! I know I don't really seem the soldier type, and I'm not. My older brother got drafted but he was too weak and sickly to join the fight. After a bit of "encouragement" I was "volunteered" to take his place. Anyway you know how every unit has the one guy who's just enough of a pain in the rear end that nobody really likes them but he's never so annoying enough to run through and be done with it? That was me. I was useful enough to keep around and I was going to make that everyone else's problem. That was fun for a while but the thing about armies is they don't let you leave just because you're bored. They don't let you leave until they're bored, which I guess is what happened after the whole, you know, thing. You know the one. So I go home to pick up my pay and I find out my dear ol' brother had faked his illness, stolen all the money I had been earning, and high-tailed it to who-knows-where. And if that weren't enough he was spreading stories about me. "Watch out for Niles, he's a swindler, he's a deserter, don't you believe a word he says!" After all I did for him! The nerve! So not only am I penniless, but the whole town hates my guts and drives me out. Barely got away with my head attached to my shoulders.

- What have you been doing since then?
Say, how about another round? Lemme see, if I give you this and you give me one of those... wait, miscounted, hand me that and you get one of these instead. No wait, you were right the first time, gimme that one back. Alright, now where was I? Oh yeah, so anyway that's where I'm at now. I try to make a living as a mercenary, but the only skills I've got are how to shove a sword into people and boy is that a flooded market! I had to pick up a few skills, a little of this, a little of that. But I tell you the adventuring life sure isn't easy. People say money ain't everything, but it seems to me those who do always seem to have enough to get by. When you don't it's for sure a different story. But I talked to a few people who helped me get my head straight, gave me things to do besides scrounge for money. Ah, don't sweat the details, it just means I perform a few odd jobs now and then. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

- What are your thoughts on fate?
Man, all this talking has made me thirsty, how about one more? Yeah, just hand me back one of those coins I gave you and... no wait, one of those coins, there you go. Then I give you this, and now you can give me the change for it. I'm not much for heavy thinking so I don't pay fate much mind. If I did I'd probably hate it. Look, if fate's real, than nothing any of us does matters. It's not your fault if you're tricked, or if you end up dead in a ditch, that's what fate says should happen so you have to just take it. But then if good stuff happens; you get rich, you end up leading a nation, whatever, well you didn't do anything to deserve that, it was all fate! What a crock. Listen, no you listen, I'm being serious for once: we all own our own successes and our own failures. Get me? So if you want to make something of yourself, you've got to go out and do it yourself. You can't rely on anyone else. Now see, ain't advice like that worth the price of a beer?

'Compelled'? Nah nah nah nah, nobody forces me to do anything. I chose to take this job 'cause as sketchy as it sounds they promise payment. Now sure you can't just take people at their world. The people with all the money didn't get it all by spending it if you follow me. But I have a preeeeetty good ear for this sort of thing and if they have the eye to notice my talents and enough sense not to listen to any nasty rumors about me then I think we're gonna make a good team. What rumors, you say? Ah, don't worry about 'em. I mean you've been sitting here talking to me, you're a smart person, surely you don't need some randos telling you how to feel about people you've actually met.

- What kind of mark do you want to leave on the world?
I barely know if I'm going to be alive in a week and you're asking about legacies? Let's be clear: I want money. But I'm not selling my soul to those Houses, oh heck no. I'm making my fortune my way, with danger and excitement around every corner. Nothing but my wits and my skills between me and death. You think that's weird? Why not risk your life, you got it for free and can give it up any time you like! So if I can retire comfortably after grabbing my fortune with my own hands and taking it from everyone else who doesn't want it as bad as me, that'd be a life well spent in my books. Well I should be heading off but... ah what the hey, one more for the road. So one of these and one of those should cover it, and then- you can't make change? That's weird... alright, you there! You give her one of these, then she gives me one of those, I use it to pay my tab, then she gives that to you for change, and you give one of those to me, and... there we are! All accounts settled! What are you talking about, that's ridiculous, how could my purse have more money now than it did when we started? I've been sitting right here, not like I could have picked anyone's pocket with all this attention I'm getting. C'mon, would a face like this lie to you?

Niles is a master con artist and never gives anyone a straight answer, least of all to himself. After the War he ended up under the sway of the Blood of Vol, whose inherent distrust of outside forces dovetailed nicely with Niles' own self-interest. He does not reveal his true allegiance lightly as he understands the religion is poorly understood and outright hated by the narrow-minded, and would never give up social power for the chance to proselytize. Nevertheless, he keeps his eyes and ears open for hints of others that believe as he does and for opportunities to spread its influence throughout the continent. In the meantime he survives as best as he is able to, feigning dedication to one cause or another long enough to benefit himself.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 21, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Inspector Lim

Changeling Monk/Agent of the Traveler Cult

Orokos Sheet PDF sheet

No, your eyes do not mistake you; it is I, Inspector Lim! I am sure you recognize the name, if not the face, yes? You may have read about me in such trashy pulp doggerel as The Mystery of the Missing Khyber Shard and The Shifter’s Fate. That unauthorized pulp trash is largely a tissue of lies, except for the part where they called me one of the foremost independent Inquisitives in all of Khorvaire. The truth, you’ll find, is far more interesting.

I am a changeling, of course; I make no secret of the fact, except when it beenefits me to make a secret of the fact, if you catch my drift. I was born in Lhazaar, in the Grey Tide, part of the pirate Prince Kel’s utopian collective experiment to found a changeling homeland. To explain my childhood would take many hours, since those born outside the Grey Tide seem to have difficulty grasping what life is like in a society that disdains the basic fundamental strictures of shape, identity, and gender that everyone else takes for granted. Suffice to say, at a young age, I entered into religious service with the Cult of the Traveler, the patron deity of the changeling race.

You know little of the Traveler I am sure, and we who worship them prefer to keep it that way. Our sacraments are secrets, mystery, and deceit. While the church of the Shadow seeks knowledge for the sake of power, and Aureon’s followers seek knowledge for the pure sake of knowing, the Traveler savors the act of discovery itself. Because of this, from my earliest childhood I was taught two things; how to wheedle secrets out of the hearts of men, and how to defend myself with nothing more than my hands and feet if discovered. My service as an apprentice saw me work as a servant and a spy, an employee in banks, bordellos, and barracks halls. I have played a princess and a pauper, a soldier and a sailor, and even a priest to other gods. When I grew old enough to establish a cover identity, I made a name for myself as a licensed Inquisitive in Sharn, stepping out of the shadows when most needed to offer my services, for a price, to the City Watch, the Houses, and even, occasionally, the Brelish Royal Dark lanterns. I was, if I may be so bold, rather good at it.

And, of course, every mystery I solved laid another cache of secrets on the altar of the Traveler, and brought them to the eyes and ears of the shadowy collective of changelings and doppelgangers the outside world laughably calls The Cabinet of Faces, who are definitely not part of a secretive conspiracy to control all world governments. Promise!

quote:

Early on, I served my mandatory conscription as a humble sailor for Lhazaar and Prince Kel, guarding the misty borders of the Grey Tide against naval incursions. After that, I was in Sharn, working as a spy and inquisitive, uncovering plots by foreign agents and either foiling them or clandestinely aiding them as it seemed right to do; in the whole, I aided Breland more than I hindered it, because one of the Cult’s first orders was that Sharn must never be conquered, as it is simply too useful as a hub of commerce and intrigue to ever be allowed to burn.

quote:

The thing about being a spy, of course, is that the war never really ends, it just gets quieter and more intricate. In peacetime, I have devoted myself to solving less bellicose, but more bizarre mysteries; you heard, perhaps, about the case of the Missing Lightning Rail Carriage? It was I who discovered how it was stolen while en route to Wroat; an elaborate contrivance of silk sails utilizing a peculiar property of air when heated. It was I who defeated thirty bandits in their mountain compound with nothing more than a length of knotted rope and a kitchen knife. And it was I who recovered the dowager duchess, and spirited her away to her estates before the scandalous nature of her tryst could be discovered.

quote:

Fate is an illusion. Oh, things like the Dragonmarked Prophecies exist, but the chaotic hand of the Traveler on the world gives lie to all notions of permanent order: the future is as malleable as my face. Fate is a lie people tell themselves because they want there to be a bottom to the world, a firm floor to the endless layer of nested mysteries that is life. I’m afraid, for their sake, that it’s mysteries all the way down.

quote:

Why, Inspector Lim wants nothing more than to solve mysteries, of course! I did not create this identity for fame, or for fortune – consultancy fees for the City Watch do not pay particularly well. I did it because Inquisitiveness is, itself, a holy sacrament, and I am a priest of the Cult of Mystery.

quote:

Are you asking why I, Inspector Lim, who is both the most talented Inquisitive in Sharn and an agent of a continent-spanning conspiracy of shapeshifters, chose to accept a secret invitation from a bonded courier to attend a clandestine meeting run by a mysterious unnamed "Order" in the heart of my city?

I was bored, I guess.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Camilla ir'Sitta, Genasi Karrnathi Fighter|Wizard

"I Die Unconquered." That's the motto of the House of the Black Shield. Sitta blood runs through my veins, stranger. Find out what that will cost you if you persist.

House Sitta, the House of the Black Shield, while not Dragonmarked, is a name that nonetheless commands great respect in Karrnath - and even beyond. For generations, they have produced some of the finest soldiers in generals of the military force of Karrnath. Such, then, is Camilla - or such intended she was, at least. Like her ancestors, she flourished in her study at the Rekkenmark military academy, despite the Last War's crumbling of that once-glorious institution. Like her ancestors, she flourished in the compulsory military service, even in the gruesome last years of the war and all that it inflicted on Karrnath.

Quite unlike her ancestors, she left the army the very second her military service was no longer compulsory, and therefore is now ir'Sitta in name only; she has no inheritance, no estate, no more family. She only has herself, her blades, and all the money they can bring her. But nothing of that matters to her. Only one thing matters to her anymore.

Despite that, she has cultivated a relation as dependable, relentless and unflappable. Some hear her house name and see in her a perfect scion, a loyal soldier who will not back down. Some hear of the things she has done during the war, and see in her a horror with the blade, a whirl of blades that only ever moves forward. Some know well that her mind is just as sharp as her blades, and present to her mysteries that she either untangles or cuts open. But the name Camilla ir'Sitta is spoken in awed reverence in many taverns, barracks and road-stations alike.

I studied the blade, and then I fought. I fought alongside the men and women of Karrnath, watched them fall, and rise again when our necromancers would command them to serve their land even after their death. I fought from Loom Keep for most of my service. Awfully close to the Mournland. But I fought. It was what I was raised for. What I was destined for. Or so I believed.

Onesimos changed all that. One of the ministry's necromancers, attached to my company but not the gloomy half-dead type you might imagine. Onesimos was full of life. Smart as a fox. Sometimes too much so. Always analyzing, always inventing. The things Onesimos did with bones and flesh would boggle your mind. It boggled mine. But I did what I always do when presented with a quandary. I studied. I learned. Both the magic and the person. And Onesimos, in turn, studied me. It was a good time, despite the violence and the blood. Or perhaps because of it.

And then the Day of Mourning came. I survived. Onesimos...did too. I think. I hope. I have to hope.

I offer my services to any who pay enough for it. A bodyguard. A research assistant. A hunter. Anything that involves violence or smarts, I can do. I don't flaunt the necromantic tricks I picked up, but the ones that do see it don't live to tell the tale. Usually.

But more specifically, I have been trying to find Onesimos. Traveling into the Mournland is a fool's errand, but sooner or later I will have to. I am running out of options. They never found the body. Onesimos has to be somewhere.

Fate makes fools of men great and small alike. The world is a cruel and unforgiving place, and yet men think their fate is great fortune, or fame, or power. They charge ahead blindly, and Fate laughs as they tumble into the abyss.

Piss on Fate.

What mark needs to be left? I am a soldier, not a king. I just want to find Onesimos. What happens because of that happens. But once I find Onesimos, my world, at least, will be alright.

What compelled you to take on this job?

They've heard things about me. Maybe they know about Onesimos, too. And I'm runnning a little low on funds, so a new job is welcome either way.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 14, 2020

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian Graves, Human Enchanter Mage

Working on the rest

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Hey all, just an update that I added another question for you to answer!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Interest post, also wondering if Play by Discord is gonna be completely asynchronous like by post; or essentially if I'm in Europe and everyone else in the US will that suck?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My Lovely Horse posted:

Interest post, also wondering if Play by Discord is gonna be completely asynchronous like by post; or essentially if I'm in Europe and everyone else in the US will that suck?

If it is anything like Mel/LAYs other Discord Eberron game, it'll be asynchronous.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Klungar posted:

If it is anything like Mel/LAYs other Discord Eberron game, it'll be asynchronous.

Yep, it'll be asynchronous :)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Audience the Silvertounge

Warforged Bard [PDF]

A specialized model, Audience was created to serve as a bodyguard to high ranking officers and officials. As such compared to many of her fellow models she saw little direct combat, but of course was always ready to protect her charge.

Seeing things from a birds eye view, as it were, she gradually wondered what was the point, well, everything she was doing. She had been created to protect, entertain, and serve people who sent other people to die.

Then the Last War ended, and she was free to do what she wanted. Eventually she decided to try and understand the world she had been created in. Seeing what had come before her, and how things might end up afterwords.

Then, one day, in the midst of exploration, she received a letter.

Guard generals, politicians, and VIPs mostly. Audience also was quite a talented singer, able to produce music with no instraments. Of course, this was hiding her ability to manipulate arcane energies with the same song. Thus producing quite a clever hidden weapon.

Exploring the world, trying to understand the history of it. She has an special interest in ruins and other abandoned places.

Audience had been created for a specific purpose. Then the Last War ended, and she was let go. So as far as she's concerned "Fate" is a lie cooked up to try and keep you in a neat little role.

What she wants is, ultimately, for the past to be understood better so that the present won't make the same mistakes.

Curiosity mostly. This was the first time anybody had contacted her for a job. Especially since she had been in the middle of an old ruin when the message had been delivered. How had they known where she was?

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 15, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My app is primarily a striker, but I intend to dip into bard and knight hospitaler to provide some extra party healing beyond just the theme power. Also, the app should be complete at this point.

Orokos | PDF

Shinzou, Half-Elf Hexblade/Skald

"We all have our demons... some more literal than others."

Shinzou is a man of the common folk, working as a wandering priest and a healer. For the last few years he has traveled the south of Breland and volunteered his services to any town that will take him. He is a quiet, contemplative sort--he spends far more time listening and observing than he does speaking. He has a soft and gentle demeanor, and spends much of his time tending the ails of the wounded or soothing their spirits with words or a song. He also appears much more comfortable and interactive around common folk than the upper classes, where he is more wont to keep his distance and stay silent. He wears drab-colored clothing, and his hair is kept long and unruly. He has a special affinity for plants and flowers, and enjoys spending time tending to plants and

While largely unassuming, there are a few things that stand out about Shinzou's appearance. Despite being fairly young, he walks with a pronounced limp and uses a stout wooden cane in his right hand. The cane appears old and worn, with a multitude of faint notches scattered across the body of the cane. As well, the entirety of his left arm is constantly kept wrapped in cloth bandages. When asked about the arm, he explains that he received gruesome burns in a fire. If pressed, he will explain that an orphanage had been set ablaze, and he sustained the burns while saving several children. When he tells the last bit, one might mistakenly think they hear faint laughter somewhere in the background.

Shinzou is not telling the truth about his past.

The man who calls himself Shinzou was born with a different name into a minor noble family, and grew up surrounded by wealth and privilege. He was sent to the noble courts under the pretense of acting as a court entertainer, in order to gather information and spy on other houses. He was to use any means to help his nation gain an advantage over their adversaries. Unfortunately, he was never able to bring back the kind of truly decisive information that his house sought, leading to their resentment of him. Worse, during his travels he encountered a multitude of ways the commonfolk were neglected and abused by the continued war effort, and expressing these concerns--in an admittedly rather uncouth outburst--was the final straw. He was no longer simply unreliable, he was a downright liability. He had to be dealt with.

He was brought to the edge of the nation's border, in the middle of nowhere. One of his entourage plunged a blade through his chest and threw his body into a deep ditch. He was to be forgotten, like so many other lives wasted in the war.

But a voice called out to him. With fevered pitch, it implored.

"Hurry, take my hand! I can save you!"

Blackness quickly closing in, this was his only chance--so he took it. He reached out with his left hand, blindly, and it found purchase on something. It burned. Maddening, searing pain ran up his arm, and pierced straight to his heart. With fire coursing through his veins, it was a moment that felt like an eternity. But the raging fire would eventually run out of fuel to burn, and smoldered and sputtered and died out... but he could feel his heart beating.

"You're alive," came the faintest whisper. And then he could hear laughter.

---

In the intervening years the man took on a new name, and a new mission in life: he would seek out and aid those most affected by the lingering pains of the war. He spent a time with a troupe of priests, living as paupers and providing alms to those in need. Though he and the troupe eventually parted ways, he carried on their mission and their deeds. He has spent his time as far away from the spotlight as he could, giving his home and any area of nobility alike a wide berth. His work, however, has gained him some notoriety among the poorer folk of the nation of Breland. And, it seems, "The Order" has taken notice of him, as well.

Shinzou's tale of a burning orphanage is, of course, a complete fabrication. His limp, as well, is largely performative--he is able to walk well enough without the cane, though he does in fact have a very slight limp in his gait. The cane is actually his arcane focus, and the notches are disguised arcane sigils. He is able to perform most tasks normally, though great bouts of exertion will leave his body aching for some time after.

Since his return to the living he has been plagued with pervasive thoughts and whispers from an unknown voice. He has sought a way to silence or identify the voice, but all attempts have proven unsuccessful.

With a practiced, patient smile, he answers: "I served much the same as I do now--perhaps under a different banner, but I sought to bring peace to the land all the same."

"In truth, I served as an envoy for one of the warring nations. I saw the terrible things the nobility was willing to subject their own people to for the sake of a war that had nothing to do with the commonfolk. I turned my back on the nobility. And for it... I died."

"You were reborn. You serve a greater purpose now.”

"I am a healer, both of the body and of the spirit. I seek out the destitute and the downtrodden, to provide aid to those least among us. The war left many of us broken, perhaps beyond repair. But everyone deserves peace and succor."

"Biding time.”

For a moment his face betrays a hint of a scowl, before settling back into its typical placid, peaceful demeanor. "Fate is fickle. The gods do what they will with us. One must hope our service may please them, so that their guiding hands are gentle and righteous."

"You think your will your own. You are wrong.”

"The world has left its mark on us all. It is our turn to find a way to grow and to heal, now that the war has ended. I wish to lend one such healing hand, and bring some comfort and beauty back to the world."

"I will carve the deepest scar!"

"I am compelled to serve in any way I can, in the service of bettering this wounded world. If this 'Order' knows of something about to befall Khorvaire, I wish to know of it, and stop it."

"Compelled, indeed."

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 22, 2020

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Nimir Vadu, Vistana Half Elf Iron Soul monk
PDF Sheet

Nimir was outcast by his fellow Vistani at a young age after offering shelter to a group of dusk elf monks looking to end the existence of his lord. Speaking of prophecies and his fate, they convinced him to take up arms and defend them in a time of need. For this act, he was bound and left to the mists.

After being left for dead, Nimir was eventually found and taken in by the very same monks that he had helped, having no possessions left but his clothes and a single Tarokka card, he spent the next several years being trained in the ways of the Iron Soul.

As some lost in the Shadowfell invariably ended up
at the monastery, Nimir learned of great tragedies befalling many worlds. One such tragedy was told him by what appeared to be at first glance, a warrior encased in sleek, blackened armor. "The Last War, A conflict that nearly ended the world. and destroyed vast swaths of it." Nimir later learned that this warrior, known as Raven was a warforged. A sentient weapon created to fight in this so-called Last War.

Seeing the misery that existed in the creature, he stepped into the mists one last time, together with the warforged.

When he emerged he was in a strange land, alone as a single raven flew overhead. A dragonborn waiting for him a few paces away.

“Nimir Vadu I take it? This is for your eyes only.”

I trained myself to fight, and to live a better life than my heritage would have me. In a monastery on a broken shore in the Shadowfell, where mists crashed into the cliffs, rolling like waves of entropy.

I had been sheltering refugees at the monastery, those lost to mists and despair. To give them hope, purpose and a new start. This all changed when the raven arrived.

Fate is immutable, Fixed. My fate is not for me to know, only to accept.
Mother Night sees to it that all Vistana become what they need to be.

A bright one, a mark of hope and understanding. If a humble Vistana like myself can do right by others, all should be able to.

My fate revealed itself to me on the day that the raven walked into the walls of the monastery. and confirmed itself when the dragon was waiting for me when I arrived in Eberron.

Sheet might change a bit as I'm still learning 4th

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mossy, Warforged Warden
SheetPDF

Mossy is an old warforged, old enough to have spent time out of commission and been found again. Forged twenty-five years ago, Mossy fought in The Last War for 15 years, leased and sold to various factions before ending up as a footsoldier for Aundar At the time, he was rather simplistic and single-minded, and for a long while obeyed commands unquestioningly, even when those commands were immoral or atrocious, and Mossy has many dark memories of this time. During a push in the eldeen reaches, Mossy was trapped in a crevasse between roots and held fast there by magic; eventually, his platoon was forced to retreat, leaving him trapped beneath a tree, unable to move. Here, the warforged could do nothing but observe the beauty of nature, and think.
For five years, the warforged did nothing but think, and watch, and think, trapped halfway in the ground. He watched the seasons turn while moss grew on him, saw birds build nests in the branches above him, mice scurry along him, the moss die with the cold and regrow with spring...

It was five years of nothing but thinking and watching until he was found. A child from a new village, founded by settlers displaced by the war, dug him up and dragged him to the village. Though his new community was not... exactly trusting, they did evententually clean him up and talk to him until he returned to being something resembling a propper person. It took some time, and a new name, "Mossy," to get him returned to talking and being social, and when he did, he was a very different person than the unthinking warmachine he had been. With a newfound respect for nature, and a bitter shame and disgust at his own actions as a soldier, he turned to the local, druic religion for support. Through his long communion with nature, he had grown quite close, and it took very little effort for the local druids to help him achieve his power as a warden.
Since then, he has protected that local village, and been repaid in kind with kindness, friendship and a place to belong. He rarely speaks, and is considered somewhat remote and distant, but he has a heart full of kindness, love of plants and animals, and a gentle strength. Since the end of the war and the establishment of a militia and a relationship with the local wardens of the wood, however, he has felt an itch to move, to find other places to use his gifts. He is a guardian, and this village is safe. To serve the world best, and redeem for his actions during the war, he seeks greater ways to help Khovaire.

What did you do during the war
"I fought"

okay? for who?
"many."

Ah. Did no one end up keeping you on?
"Aundar"

Who did you serve? what sort of things did you do?
The warforged's face fall silent, the light in his eyes flickering darkly for a bit. "I served several officers, most of whom have been rightly forgotten. As for what i did... I am sorry, friend. Can we talk of other things?"

He killed innocents and butchered captive enemies as ordered

"Protecting people. Gardening. Thinking. Turning into me."

Can you tell me some more about that?
The warforged nods, and his eyes flicker for a moment before he responds. "I have been protecting people who found me. And they gave me a garden. I have planted pretty flowers and nourished bushes bountiful in berries for my friends. I grown trees for the birds to nest in, and bushes

What do you think of fate?
The warforged thinks for a while, only answering when someone reminds him that he has been staring into the air for twenty minutes. "I do not know." he replies. "I was made to fight and kill and destroy and despoil. But I do not destroy or despoil, and I kill only in the protection of innocents. Did i escape my fate? Or was my fate not what i was made for? I do not know."

What kind of mark do you want to leave on this world?
"Safety. and more gardens."

"I must make up for past mistakes. Helping all Khorvairie does that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Thanks for all the apps! It was a seriously hard decision and sparked a lot of debate between Look Around You and I.

The threads of fate have tugged upon:

Kava (ProfessorCirno)
Baern (CaptainFalcon)
Adaire (PMush Perfect)
Vitrin (Relentless)
Camilla (Wahad)
Shinzou(Dick Burglar)