Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.
Hail, and well-met, goony adventurer! Do you recall the tale of The Sword of the Bastard Elf? That was the 2015 forum thread about a fictional roleplaying game that was turned into a front page article and proved popular enough to be kickstarted into a well-reviewed actual roleplaying game.

Well, in this apocalyptic era full of crisi-tunities, interactive virtual shows are flourishing, annnnnd you already read the thread title, so I'll cut right to the chase.

I'm a long-time gameshow, burlesque, and comedy host with a voice actor / comedian cohost, and we're going to be putting on an interactive virtual performance of The Sword of the Bastard Elf, possibly as a series, with some help from its writer Sam Iacob, who will be joining us in the audience. We'll be engaging with audience members to put them in the driver's seat to determine what terrible decisions the elf is going to be making next and why, and we'll try to reach that holy grail of finding crash space on the elf's father's couch before the end of the show.

BULLET POINTS
- Speedy combat because I made an application to automate it
- The elf can die a few times before the show is over
- There's a time limit for the show, after which all combats (or "hassles") are lost automatically and any death ends the show
- Audience members in charge of the elf are chosen in rotation and change at every new decision point
- We'll likely be using Zoom
- The visuals will be alternating between video of the hosts and the illustrations from the book
- This will be free to attend, but we'll probably be using that Eventbrite free ticketing thing to manage distribution of the link right before the event
- This will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube

YOUR TURN
No date is yet set for this, because I'd like to collect a small group of around four people to try out a test run of this and offer feedback. I know Something Awful Forum Goons™ are famously hesitant to offer criticism, but if you want to help with the test run, shoot me a PM. Once that's done, a date will be set (probably in October), and this post will be updated with information about how to join in on the fun.

In the meantime, this is the place for questions and suggestions.

UPDATE
:boom:
October 24, 2020 at 4pm pacific / 7pm eastern / 11pm GMT
Snag free tickets on Eventbrite
RSVP on Facebook
Watch the full promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K3athcgUA

Horrormelon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hi I wrote this book and i'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, not least because i barely remember how I wrote it, or why.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's good to see this back on GBS because it's really a GBS production and it belongs here, at the bottom of the website

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

neat

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Will this be archived? I probably won't be able to catch it live due to time zones.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Lodin posted:

Will this be archived? I probably won't be able to catch it live due to time zones.

Absolutely! It will be recorded and thrown up (in every sense) on YouTube.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

We just did a private test-run of the show for a small audience that went for two hours before the elf died (beaten to death by a naked lich who was interrupted whilst bathing), and it went over really well. I recorded the session, and I'll be using the footage as part of a promo video for the main event. Once the video's done, it'll be posted here, along with a date and a link to snag a free ticket to the show. If you're interested, kindly bookmark this thread and look for it later. Or just PM me and ask to be updated.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if you need any illustrations for whatever reason lmk i have them lying around somewhere (or you can screenshot them off the pdf if you want that also seems to work)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
this is hilarious and i hope it inspires another animated series like Golan the Insatiable

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

By the way! If anyone's curious about the application that's streamlining hassle-resolution, or plays the game themselves and would like an easier way to run through combat, here's the "Bastard Elf Hassler" script: https://bastard-elf-hassler.phantomwatson.com/.

I still need to tweak it a little bit to allow for miscellaneous re-rolls allowed by special items or forced by status effects. And I might add dice animation, but :effort:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
this looks like a thing that's time has arrived, by adramelches pupating botfly!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
SKULLMUND DOT COM BITCH

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Nooner posted:

SKULLMUND DOT COM BITCH

What... the... fffuuuu :aaa: *jaw slowly unhinges, followed by confused gurgling sounds*

Skullmund certainly shares SotBE's / Saint Isaias Boner's infectious preoccupation with skeletons.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

woah I didn't know that was still going, I like what they did with the place

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Promo video finished, using footage from a small test-run! :toot:

I, my cohost, and Saint Isaias Boner just need to settle on a date a few weeks in the future for the show to give us time to promote and prepare. I'm suggesting maybe the first week of November, or the week before Halloween instead if everyone's too antsy to push it back that far. Once that's done, that info and the call-to-action will be slapped on at the end of the video and we'll start the countdown.

For anyone who wants to see a sneak preview, here's the everything-but-the-date almost-finished promo video.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
this is just the sort of transcendental media we've been needing for quite a while now and i'm extremely happy to see it be a thing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

haha that video, holy poo poo

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Nooner posted:

SKULLMUND DOT COM BITCH

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Holy poo poo. I didn't know you actually made this thing for real. I loved this thread!

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Thursday Next posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't know you actually made this thing for real. I loved this thread!

It's real and it's like twenty pounds of fun. Seriously, you could play through the absurdly expanded story dozens of times and/or leave the book on your nightstand in case you ever need to brain a burglar with it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Horrormelon posted:

It's real and it's like twenty pounds of fun. Seriously, you could play through the absurdly expanded story dozens of times and/or leave the book on your nightstand in case you ever need to brain a burglar with it.

I still don't think anyone has ever seen everything in it, I don't think that's possible for one person

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

:boom:
October 24 at 4pm pacific / 7pm eastern / 11pm GMT
Snag free tickets on Eventbrite
RSVP on Facebook
Watch the full promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K3athcgUA

Horrormelon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

that looks cool, but why don't you play it on the forums?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ChubbyChecker posted:

that looks cool, but why don't you play it on the forums?

id do it but i feel kinda weird about running a let's play of my own book on the forums

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

id do it but i feel kinda weird about running a let's play of my own book on the forums

ive never understood why people watch videos of other people playing games

running it on the forums and letting goons vote on stuff seems like the more entertaining option

i could do it, if you give permission to post the relevant pages on the forums

e: perhaps i should let the op do his thing before. where should i buy it from, which option gets you the largest amount of money?

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 3, 2020

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ChubbyChecker posted:

ive never understood why people watch videos of other people playing games

running it on the forums and letting goons vote on stuff seems like the more entertaining option

i could do it, if you give permission to post the relevant pages on the forums

e: perhaps i should let the op do his thing before. where should i buy it from, which option gets you the largest amount of money?

You got my permission to do whatever, it's best to buy it off drivethrurpg but I make roughly the same amount wherever you get it from and in whatever format, unless it's on sale (or five finger sale) and then I'm just glad people want to play it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

You got my permission to do whatever, it's best to buy it off drivethrurpg but I make roughly the same amount wherever you get it from and in whatever format, unless it's on sale (or five finger sale) and then I'm just glad people want to play it

check

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
this is incredible

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

People have LPed their own poo poo before, and I don't think anyone's going to complain if you do so, especially something like this. Plus it'd get more people to check this poo poo out.

Hell, doesn't have to be in LP either, could be in The Game Room or here in GBS. Bonus points if you can make it work in QCS.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell yeah!

I loved all of your CYOA threads SIB. Look forward to checking this out.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
This book saved my life when I used it to squash the biggest fuggen roach in my life. It's still under the book, I've grown too weak to lift it off the bug corpse

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's going to lift that one day and kick your rear end in

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hell yeah!

I loved all of your CYOA threads SIB. Look forward to checking this out.
Hey!
I can't really remember what happens in the book so I'm looking forward to it too

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Getting the word out about this has been tricky. The promotional video (and I guess the event's title) use too many naughty words for Facebook to approve an ad (censorship notwithstanding), and there's some error with the Something Awful ad-uploading page preventing me from buying an ad for this thread. I'm not getting any response from the SA support email address about it either. So for now, looks like it'll just have to be word-of-mouth. :\

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Horrormelon posted:

Getting the word out about this has been tricky. The promotional video (and I guess the event's title) use too many naughty words for Facebook to approve an ad (censorship notwithstanding), and there's some error with the Something Awful ad-uploading page preventing me from buying an ad for this thread. I'm not getting any response from the SA support email address about it either. So for now, looks like it'll just have to be word-of-mouth. :\

stop buying forum ads until the deal is through

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Ownership STILL hasn't been transferred?!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Horrormelon posted:

Ownership STILL hasn't been transferred?!

nope

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jeff of yospos: sept 27 posted:

The contract is written and Lowtax and I have agreed on terms. We are awaiting Lowtax's signature on the written contract, but the sale is proceeding. I have the credentials for Cloudflare, Steadfast (the hosting provider), and other associated services and am prepared to put them in my name. I will let everyone know as soon as we move forward.