Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Problem description: After upgrading to a Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX (from a GT 1030), I've had system stability issues. Notably, Firewatch crashes to the desktop or kills Windows entirely, even when just idling in the game. I also noticed I can't complete a run of MemTest, as it gets hung up on the L3 cache check.
Attempted fixes: I replaced the power supply thinking that might be the cause, but I'm still getting crashes and blue screens. I also attempted a clean installation of the GPU drivers. Then I unplugged the power on the GPU and used the integrated graphics, where I noticed the problems were resolved.
Recent changes: Installed the GTX 970 and the power supply
Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 Pro
System specs: Intel DH67CF motherboard, Intel i5-3570K, 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Memory, Crucial MX500 512GB SSD, Thermaltake 700W Smart Power Supply
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thinking out loud, I think the next steps would be to try stripping the system down to as little as possible for power requirements to see if I can get MemTest to run. Then introduce just the graphics card again and try MemTest again. If I can't, I guess maybe this ThermalTake power supply isn't gonna do it either. I ran FurMark for a while with the GPU and my previous power supply (a Corsair CX430M) without issue, but I only did that for 15 minutes.

Another thought is that maybe it's Firewatch really. Even with a GT 1030 I was able to play the game, but it crashed pretty regularly, even with really low settings.

That said, I'd still appreciate any ideas you all had. I'll give the stripped down run a go this evening and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Might be a Firewatch and Windows 10 issue. I have the system pretty stripped down, and I was still getting blue screens (for an unexpected_system_exception), but I loaded it up on my Ubuntu partition and it seems to be running OK after installing Nvidia's Linux drivers. I'll give another game or two a try, but it seems like it's an application problem more than a hardware one at this point. Might try a reinstall of Windows and a fresh copy of memtest as well, as I've just been using my motherboard's built-in version.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 18, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So it might be a memory issue after all. The problem is it isn't really clear what is to blame. Basically it seems to fail MemTest86 when both sticks are plugged in, locking up on what seems to be the first test. Individually they seem to do alright. I haven't done anything like a 24-hour run on them yet, but they were able to hold up with no errors for over an hour a piece in each slot on my motherboard. As soon as I switch to any configuration with the two sticks though, it halts.

I suppose this could be the motherboard, CPU, memory, or possibly me hooking up the PSU wrong for the motherboard. The last bit I wonder about, because I've got an 8-pin plug on my PSU but only a 4-pin plug on my motherboard. I plugged it in the only way I could get it to plug in, but I still wonder if it's right with this.

So outside of that mis-plug possibility, I'm curious how I should narrow down what's at fault. Would it be a matter of acquiring parts and swapping them out to test (different CPU, motherboard, memory)? Would anyone blame me for dumping them all and starting over with a Ryzen rig instead of doing that?

As a last note, it's failing Prime95 and HCI Memtest runs as well as crashing games and causing BSODs in Windows.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, I'd run memtest using onboard graphics and see if it crashes or not. Maybe you already have I'm not sure.

If it locks up with all non-essential peripherals connected then it's probably a motherboard failure.

Is your motherboard almost ten years old?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I hadn’t tried that, but it crashed even stripped down with both sticks of the Crucial memory.

That said, I tried some Samsung memory I had from a parts computer and it worked fine. Ran memtest without error for several hours, so I’m starting to think it’s the memory again. I may just run it with just one of the sticks to see if it does any better that way. Most of the games I’m playing have pretty light system requirements, so I should be ok in the short term.

Curious though the Samsung memory is DDR3 1333 and just 1x2GB, so it’s less demanding and thus OK? And the DDR3 1600 2x4GB is too much? I tried an over-volt up to 1.6 but it didn’t help FWIW.

Edit: My motherboard's going on 6 years according to the person I got it from.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Curious though the Samsung memory is DDR3 1333 and just 1x2GB, so it’s less demanding and thus OK? And the DDR3 1600 2x4GB is too much? I tried an over-volt up to 1.6 but it didn’t help FWIW.

Yes, it's possible the memory is the issue.

Or a combination of the memory and that motherboard.