Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the ep with Death is really good. show stalls at the diner ep and is in freefall by the end of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the comic that (i assume) it’s based on is one of the best in the series

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if we're talking about meeting the immortal in the tavern I agree

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i liked it

im curious to see where they’ll go with a season two if so

i didn’t like lucifer of tarth’s dialogue that much but i do like the casting

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I like how they represented the demon entity at the end of the last episode.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
everybody seems to be panning the diner episode and it wasn’t great but it’s pretty faithful to the comic at least

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

one of my least favorite stories in the comic too, so that checks out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

everybody seems to be panning the diner episode and it wasn’t great but it’s pretty faithful to the comic at least

i thought it was the highlight of the show

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you would

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

i thought it was the highlight of the show

i also thought it was good and haven't figured out the flak

and lmao that honesty mode turned everyone bisexual

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

psiox posted:

i also thought it was good and haven't figured out the flak

and lmao that honesty mode turned everyone bisexual

all the actors sucked except for the cuck and he was just ok, the story was boring and overwritten, the end was unintentionally hilarious. extremely obvious filler bottle ep, could have done that in 10 minutes in a different episode

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1560370321328316416

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5YUmkWf_Y

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

smoka!! wb

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

this looks sick as hell, finally seeing 80s/90s ultraviolence / sexuality / transhumanism with OVA quality animation after years of "sensibile investment" shows/movies with no balls. just look at that cyber-axe deployment "ku-CHUNK", loving hell do I want a Trigger series of Bloodborne now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

!

https://twitter.com/netflix_sandman/status/1560522190755287041?s=21&t=Q1FBHBMgWNKDUaqtqpI3ag

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that seems like a great model for releasing tv series with extremely short seasons. drop the season then a couple months later release a bonus episode, another one a few months after that, maybe one more 3 months before the new season starts

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

that seems like a great model for releasing tv series with extremely short seasons. drop the season then a couple months later release a bonus episode, another one a few months after that, maybe one more 3 months before the new season starts
Makes you wonder if they could sustain more interest in shows by breaking it into even more chunks. Maybe even, I don't know, 1 episode per week for a number of weeks, although I know that sounds crazy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

Makes you wonder if they could sustain more interest in shows by breaking it into even more chunks. Maybe even, I don't know, 1 episode per week for a number of weeks, although I know that sounds crazy

:wth:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mystes posted:

8 episode seasons are still too short for this to make a real difference. dump a season sept-oct, release a Christmas special, maybe another one in June (everyone goes to the beach)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just do one episode a month year round forever. always something new to talk about

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't think production on a schedule like that would work

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not on a scripted show with vfx, no

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

I don't think production on a schedule like that would work

i guess i fail to see why production and editing can't be done like they are now and the network / streamer airs them whenever?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cause they'd need to begin production on the second season before the third episode airs or the staff is going to find new jobs during the 18-20 month layoff, plus you'd need to pay holding deals to the main cast to ensure availability. doubt many studios want to commit that much to season 2 that early

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they could make it work with desperate writers and actors but it's more risky, and if it's popular people will want to move to better jobs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

cause they'd need to begin production on the second season before the third episode airs or the staff is going to find new jobs during the 18-20 month layoff, plus you'd need to pay holding deals to the main cast to ensure availability. doubt many studios want to commit that much to season 2 that early

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they could make it work with desperate writers and actors but it's more risky, and if it's popular people will want to move to better jobs

mm, fair point. i imagine it could work with certain properties, and with certain streams, but yea prolly not at the moment for any sort of standard thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
26 episodes a season, air them once a week. 2-4 million per episode. when the season ends, you switch to a different show w/ 26 episodes that season

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/roadroIIer/status/1558832006938726400

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

26 episodes a season, air them once a week. 2-4 million per episode. when the season ends, you switch to a different show w/ 26 episodes that season

could be p cool

i guess i wonder about how good 26 eps straight out would end up. tons of stinkers in shows that do that, usually

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sure but its generally better overall cause you get more opportunity for small stories that arent part of a big epic season long arc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

sure but its generally better overall cause you get more opportunity for small stories that arent part of a big epic season long arc.

hn agree to disagree maybe. i'm not sure i'd agree there's any trend to greatness in terms of episodes / season aside from surely dropping off at some dumb number

though i know some international scripted (?) shows put out shedloads

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think there's any specific correct length. A 4 episode show and a 26 episode can both feel poorly paced.

Rather than focusing on some arbitrary target length I'd prefer if they would just focus on whatever suits the specific show and how much interesting content they are able to write.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

some shows do a good job of having only few episodes that tell a story, eg only murders in the building

some shows need space to tell small stories and breathe without constantly having to be part of a huge narrative, eg star trek

halfway competent writers can always pad a season with fun one-off stories. it's much harder to keep a single pReStIgE sToRyLiNe interesting for 12 straight episodes or whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah what mystes said

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I don't think there's any specific correct length. A 4 episode show and a 26 episode can both feel poorly paced.

Rather than focusing on some arbitrary target length I'd prefer if they would just focus on whatever suits the specific show and how much interesting content they are able to write.

i agree and that's presumably what some streaming sites can do though i imagine it's harder for networks.

they could probably do a better job of generating some oneoffs, etc to mix into gaps in programming, though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

one of the big problems with :smug: PRESTIGE TV :smug: is that they also have lots of filler but it's all these interminable pointless scenes of people bitchily talking past each other instead of a fun episode where they play baseball in the holodeck or whatever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shaggar posted:

nobody but networks are doing more than 13 episodes a year anymore, for whatever reason. even cutting it to 20 per year to allow for crew breaks/holiday off-weeks is probably unreasonable to hope for now

mediaphage posted:

i guess i wonder about how good 26 eps straight out would end up. tons of stinkers in shows that do that, usually

this is also down to production. if you keep the writers and crew working 12 months a year rather than 8 to produce the same number of scripts, the quality will improve

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

hn agree to disagree maybe. i'm not sure i'd agree there's any trend to greatness in terms of episodes / season aside from surely dropping off at some dumb number

though i know some international scripted (?) shows put out shedloads

tng and ds9 and sg1 are all great and even though they have some stinkers the huge episode counts allowed for way more stories to be told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I bet if you restructured how serialized television is delivered it would satisfy everyone. you produce ~18 episodes per season: a 10-12 episode "story" that is aired sequentially over three or four months and is the standard prestige tv format, then six-eight one off shorts that focus on smaller characters and wrap up side plots, make experimental/holiday episodes, or do worldbuilding, and these are released every four-six weeks until the next "story" comes out. this way the main cast still gets several months to go shoot movies or other shows but you keep the writers, crew, and supporting actors working all year