Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i think that chapter existed probably because Tolkein wrote it for his kids a while back and just still liked the character so he crammed it in
iirc tolkien pretty much said just that - that bombadil was one of those things that just dont fit neatly into everyones formal mythology and sometimes stuff exists for no discernable reason and that is perfectly ok, theres always a little mystery in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
readers can have little a mystery, as a treat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

did george martin steal the RR thing from tolkien

yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats bullshit, he stole it from pirates

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

George Raymond Richard Martin[1] (born George Raymond Martin; September 20, 1948),[2] also known as GRRM,[3] is an American novelist, screenwriter, television producer and short story writer. He is the author of the series of epic fantasy novels A Song of Ice and Fire, which were adapted into the Emmy Award-winning HBO series Game of Thrones (2011–2019). He also helped create the Wild Cards anthology series, and contributed worldbuilding for the 2022 video game Elden Ring.

What the hell, why does he have 4 first names

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Georgie Ray Dick Marty

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
george &
ray &
dick &
marty

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

wait till you find out about catholics across the world

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
grrm fandango

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sapozhnik posted:

Tom Bombadil is but a happy chill dude who lives in the forest smoking weed living with his eternally young smoking hot wife

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Gandalf is a lesser god that takes a huge interest in the affairs of men

;-*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

still bitter that my twitter parody account detailing the life of Dwayne Harkonnen, night manager of the Geidi Prime 7-11, didn't take off

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm a sucker for a good premise that hits the ground running and the book had a great one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anPvDxghU3s&t=3s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

grrm fandango

run you pigeons, it's robert baratheon!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

thats bullshit, he stole it from pirates

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

readers can have little a mystery, as a treat

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

George railroad martin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin lol

“choo choo” he cries out from his slumber

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm reading Barbarians at the Gate and while it's not fiction, it's got some pretty wild characters. the central dude (they are almost all dudes) is some frat boy ceo who's trying to basically steal the tobacco company he runs from the shareholders. his main concern throughout is whether the company will continue to pay for his golf club memberships and private jets (like 10 of them). noone else really cares much about this, but do care about a bunch of personal grudges

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

distortion park posted:

I'm reading Barbarians at the Gate and while it's not fiction, it's got some pretty wild characters. the central dude (they are almost all dudes) is some frat boy ceo who's trying to basically steal the tobacco company he runs from the shareholders. his main concern throughout is whether the company will continue to pay for his golf club memberships and private jets (like 10 of them). noone else really cares much about this, but do care about a bunch of personal grudges

just pretend nabisco is called Maas Biolabs or Weyland-Yutani, boom instant cyberpunk :awesomelon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also im reading The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfield and its not bad so far. its got a weird necromantic empire, not so much Harrow the Ninth but more like Ninefox Gambit or Radch. also theres an illegal planet-spanning mind

what a garbage title tho

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

just pretend nabisco is called Maas Biolabs or Weyland-Yutani, boom instant cyberpunk :awesomelon:

honestly...it works. i'd read or watch something about corporate machinations at the top of a cyberpunk setting. we always get lots of sexy shots of neo-tokyo's grimy underbelly, but there's interesting possibilities elsewhere.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

george ronald reagan martin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

distortion park posted:

honestly...it works. i'd read or watch something about corporate machinations at the top of a cyberpunk setting. we always get lots of sexy shots of neo-tokyo's grimy underbelly, but there's interesting possibilities elsewhere.

there was that show from uh syfy? about the dude from the slums who used a stolen identity to become an exec in some cyberpunk corp. about half of it was about corp stuff. only got 1 season i think, but it wasnt bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nv1m1FZuGY

dude could play a oscar isaac clone

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Coming in before 'Cyberpunk' was a big thing in the general public consciousness, Its a drat shame this and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIs3xwBAxSU

got the chop so ruthlessly - Almost Human didn't even get a full season, it got axed at the midway point (of course that's still 11 episodes, I'd rather they had a 12ep run from the start and planned the story a bit tighter)

edit: pls don't scan my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm0irSIFaUQ&t=34s

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 23, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

run you pigeons, it's robert baratheon!

I love this joke/line and use it irl but I don't think anybody ever knows what I'm talking about

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Truman Peyote posted:

in killer mike voice: six six six six

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

in killer mike voice: six six six six

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Beginning to think that the "rings of power" is not going to contain any rings

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

"Rings" refers to Jeff Bezos calling you to ask why you haven't watched the latest episode

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I started watching apocalypse now right afterwards and the difference is staggering. you can tell one group of people had an artistic vision

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the rings of power seems to have slaughtered galadriel and elrond's characters

it's fine, i'll be watching Lighting Up the Stars this weekend and i can forget all about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they couldnt resist the siren song of elfs doing bad action scenes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

they couldnt resist the siren song of elfs doing bad action scenes.

it feels like a Disney production sometimes. but also interminable for some reason. Nothing happens!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Andor seems good. I'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow but so far it legitimately seems like its own thing rather than yet another rehash of existing star wars stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

Andor seems good. I'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow but so far it legitimately seems like its own thing rather than yet another rehash of existing star wars stuff

we said this about mandalorian season 1 and, well

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

we said this about mandalorian season 1 and, well
lol yeah I know... at least so far there's even less callbacks than the mandalorian and no baby yoda, but there's nothing stopping them from randomly inserting other star wars characters or something stupid like that at any time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

distortion park posted:

i got a ring in there last night!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Truman Peyote posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I watched more of the dragon show and that chick wanted to gently caress her uncle, but then it didn't happen, so it's a good thing