Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

One of my favorite examples of institutionalized chauvinism in academia.

Men, for decades: "obviously these figures have some sexual meaning or were used in fertility rites, because they're naked ladies and the men who carved them gave them huge honkers and a dump truck rear end. I'm horny for the statue"

A woman: "no, they're just self-portraits done by a woman looking down at her own body."

That's as good an explanation as the other ones but there's probably no way to know for sure and I'm not sure there's even much reason to even try with objects like this that aren't functional when we have nothing to go on.

Assuming it's some sort of religious object always seems like bullshit though.

People can't even agree on those stupid roman dodecahedrons which may or may not have been functional.

Edit: Like while it does explain the proportions well, I'm just a bit skeptical because trying to make a self portrait like this and get a decent result while intentionally leaving the proportions like what you would see looking down at yourself just seems like an absurdly pointlessly hard thing to do and if you interpret these figures as going for a high level of realism but just at a weird angle you would think there would be a lot of other figures from other angles too?

OTOH if it was a very common practice exercise or something that could explain why those are what survived; I guess that's one theory about the dodecahedrons too

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

/sarx

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

One of my favorite examples of institutionalized chauvinism in academia.

Men, for decades: "obviously these figures have some sexual meaning or were used in fertility rites, because they're naked ladies and the men who carved them gave them huge honkers and a dump truck rear end. I'm horny for the statue"

A woman: "no, they're just self-portraits done by a woman looking down at her own body."

this is a great post ty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is a great post ty

lol user/post

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

"The Ballads of Gurney Halleck" by Sir Patrick Stewart & Sting. This rare LP was made in 1984, but all copies were destroyed at the warehouse due to an erroneous credit on the cover. "THE Sting" instead of "Sting." No copies of the LP survived, because none of this is real.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

every movie could use a little jennifer coolidge imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

she is my favorite part of Best In Show

i sometimes say things like "we both like soup" and "we could talk or not talk for hours" but few people ever get the reference

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol user/post

lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

well see it was common in ancient times to drop infant girls in well-lit caves with nothing but a hammer and a chisel and sustainable food and water sources to see what sort of art they would produce without ever having seen another human being

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

iirc this is basically exactly what happened with peter jackson and the hobbit. he basically admitted he had no idea what he was doing and just winged it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
superbad is a much better movie and far more culturally relevant than any of the new star wars movies

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

polyester concept posted:

iirc this is basically exactly what happened with peter jackson and the hobbit. he basically admitted he had no idea what he was doing and just winged it

many such cases

mystes
May 31, 2006

polyester concept posted:

It sucks when you're supposed to make a trilogy of three hour movies and you run out of content so you just have to increase the paragraph spacing and insert gratuitous action sequences

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gratuitous action sequences own that wasn't the problem with those movies

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't make it past the first one so I wouldn't know I guess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
*main character gets hit on the head and passes out, wakes up, goes home*

"Wait, it's over? Where's the rest of the book? I was counting on that to fill out a third movie!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

superbad is a much better movie and far more culturally relevant than any of the new star wars movies

better soundtrack too

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://youtu.be/4PUIxEWmsvI

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

finally watched thor 4: more thor and it had some moments but felt kind of up and down

also disney added “thor will return” to the credits without doing a new deal with hemsworth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the silliness knob was cranked to 11 and ultimately made it disappointing and forgettable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the next one should be beta ray bill

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

:hai:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

echinopsis posted:

:hmmyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qirex posted:

also disney added “thor will return” to the credits without doing a new deal with hemsworth

they introduced the idea that anyone can be Thor

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
im thor

'cause i was doing goblet squats with mjolnir and overworked my quads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if everyone is thor then no one is, thus ends the franchise

thanks taika waititi, you've finally saved us from marvel

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Watched the new episode of Star And/or Wars and it was still pretty decent.

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

if everyone is thor then no one is, thus ends the franchise
Maybe they can do a new thing for disney+ where you upload a picture of yourself and then you're thor for the new movie

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Watched the new episode of Star And/or Wars and it was still pretty decent.
Star Wars: Boolean Logic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
disney++ subscribers only

mystes
May 31, 2006

hashtag !!disney

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/shackerferesoth/status/1575837204307386368

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/richard_kadrey/status/1575325285309988866

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awesome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
smdh if you dont already own a ratty, much-used paperback copy of mirrorshades

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only own a ratty much-used copy of neuromancer, what does that count for

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

I only own a ratty much-used copy of neuromancer, what does that count for
quite a lot, imho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have the sprawl, bridge, and blue ant trilogies, all purchased from my local thrift shop over the course of a decade

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I liked blue ant but it doesn't really count as cyberpunk imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Fool posted:

I liked blue ant but it doesn't really count as cyberpunk imo

gibson wrote the same trilogy 3 times. the first time was far-flung fantastical pure science fiction. the second time was restrained plausible near-future fiction. the third time was just the real world