Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

I’d also wager there’s a bit of tom cruise not wanting anyone else to outshine him since he owns the franchise

that scene where him and cavill square up and they’re shown to be the exact same height was peak male fragility [cavill is over 6’ and cruise is like 0.95 toris]

a bit, certainly

he didn't at first though and that still applies for the first mission impossible, lovely second moore-braga mess, godawful jj abrams third, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

imdb posted:

Mission Commander Swanbeck (Sir Anthony Hopkins) becomes the first person in any Mission: Impossible episode or movie to actually use the phrase "mission: impossible".

Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga also wrote the screenplay for Star Trek: First Contact (1996), which featured the first cinematic use in dialogue of the phrase "star trek".
lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ron moore probably runs that Twitter account

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

speaking of ron moore, for all mankind is exquisitely watchable trash

just total garbage I'm shoving into my brain as rapidly as possible

(its an alt-history where the IRA successfully executed margaret thatcher. and some other differences.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wanted Uluru to be an actual monster they would have to fight in Heroes but nah that was just a dumb metaphor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
RDM is much better without braga i think, but he still whiffs it pretty hard sometimes

dude definitely knows how to spin a decent yarn but when he's in charge of the whole thing it usually gets kinda bad. probably because there's nobody to restrain his worst impulses

otoh that person is not braga. i have a feeling most of their collaboration consisted of moore saying "what the gently caress. no no no"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

otoh that person is not braga. i have a feeling most of their collaboration consisted of moore saying "what the gently caress. no no no"

wouldn’t it have been the other way around? BSG was to a large degree comprised of all the stuff moore wasn’t able to do on voyager

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

wouldn’t it have been the other way around? BSG was to a large degree comprised of all the stuff moore wasn’t able to do on voyager

i'm not sure what you mean. to me BSG was pretty good overall despite some stumbles and voyager has maybe 5 good episodes in total

obviously i'm not some definitive arbiter of quality though so ymmv

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how many beeftweeters out of five are we talking here?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bsg, 3.5 beefstars/5. plane missed the runway, no survivors

voyager, 0.5/5. partial credit for showing up

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there are good episodes and enjoyable characters on voyager which puts it leagues above picard

i hope mulgrew is having fun on that trek kids show they are making

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i remember liking bsg alot when it was on tv, but i tried rewatching it a few years ago and, aside from the prequel/miniseries episodes, i didnt really care for it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pseudorandom name posted:

speaking of ron moore, for all mankind is exquisitely watchable trash

just total garbage I'm shoving into my brain as rapidly as possible

(its an alt-history where the IRA successfully executed margaret thatcher. and some other differences.)

I love it so much but still haven't gotten around to watching season 3

the season 2 finale though, it was like the last 30 seconds of overtime and both teams have pulled their goalies and everyone in the arena is standing up because oh poo poo how is this going to end, but for an hour. just incredible tv.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pseudorandom name posted:

successfully executed margaret thatcher.

well now i'm gonna go back and commit. thx

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

bsg, 3.5 beefstars/5. plane missed the runway, no survivors

voyager, 0.5/5. partial credit for showing up

strong agree

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there are good episodes and enjoyable characters on voyager which puts it leagues above picard

i hope mulgrew is having fun on that trek kids show they are making

there's a handful but most of the characters are pretty reductive. you don't ever think "oh, janeway might do $bad_thing because she's a morally complex individual, sometimes hands have to get a little dirty." instead its "well yeah janeway is very obviously an insane person that should not be entrusted with the lives of hundreds of people."

chakotay is just there, neelix is an annoying yet somewhat likable buffoon (and neelix-centric episodes, with the notable exception of "tuvix" in which neelix himself does not appear much, are terrible), seven of nine is data with tits, tuvok is Black Spock, torres is worf with tits, harry kim is korean o'brien, tom paris is a dweeb, and the doctor is... probably the only somewhat good character, and a lot of that isn't the writing

picard is just indefensible. gently caress that show

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

korean o'brien

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a couple nights ago i watched shaolin rescuers

last night was the woman king followed by a couple episodes of the cyberpunk cartoon on netflix

tonight i will continue with edgerunners. when i'm done with it peaky blinders is scheduled for next but who knows if i'll follow through

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I’d also wager there’s a bit of tom cruise not wanting anyone else to outshine him since he owns the franchise

that scene where him and cavill square up and they’re shown to be the exact same height was peak male fragility [cavill is over 6’ and cruise is like 0.95 toris]

If you look at Tom's feet you will see that he is wearing three or four inch lifts and still can't flatfoot the motorcycle

If you look a little closer you'll notice that Cameron Diaz is actually a scarecrow

If you know exactly what you're looking for, you will notice the most baffling part, which is that the bike is actually an Aprilia SXV wearing Ducati Hypermotard plastics for some reason. I guess they had a marketing deal to use Ducatis but the Aprilia (lighter, longer forks) was more suitable for the stunt?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

well now i'm gonna go back and commit. thx

I also highly recommend For All Mankind. It's got a fair bit of irritating boomer nostalgia (okay seriously how many times do you need to remind us that in this universe John Lennon lived), but if you were a kid in the 80s who grew up watching the shuttle launches and dreaming of being an astronaut, it's pure and joyful wish fulfillment.

I got chills when they launched the
Pathfinder shuttle and they rotate the camera to reveal that it's on the back of a C-5 and then it disconnects and they hit the NERVA engine and they're all slammed back and he says "underway on nuclear power"

gently caress yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also feel really bad for Sergey and Margo :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of best tv there is also peep show and if you never seen it plz watch the wedding episode

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bdid got a tv show? lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

bdid got a tv show? lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
peep show is the best

people talk about 30 Rock having high jokes per minute but almost every line delivered in some episodes of Peep Show is funny

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the only peep show i've seen is this extremely yospos clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeKu0chuFA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://youtu.be/kQdJkMqmyPo

e: this is a good one too

https://youtu.be/P4_6e5IaQXM

it's hard to find ones that have no spoilers and need no context to enjoy. all the best ones are narrative and character based

e2: deep down I do still genuinely believe that's how heating and air conditioning work though

indigi fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 26, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also finished andor tonight, good poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

it's hard to find ones that have no spoilers and need no context to enjoy. all the best ones are narrative and character based

and some the whole episode needs to be swallowed whole for the terrible terrible ending to have it’s full impact like when mark and jeremy try and fail to burn that dead dog to hide the evidence and end up taking it aboard the boat and have to eat it in front of the owners of the pet it sounds so hosed up but it works

they’re both such tragic losers

https://youtu.be/8B7jnYg1Em8

if this doesn’t make someone want to see it nothing will

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

and some the whole episode needs to be swallowed whole for the terrible terrible ending to have it’s full impact like when mark and jeremy try and fail to burn that dead dog to hide the evidence and end up taking it aboard the boat and have to eat it in front of the owners of the pet it sounds so hosed up but it works
this is where i dropped off of peep show all the way back in the day and it's still one of the most iconic eps. i haven't picked it up again since perhaps because i subconsciously thought it couldn't top that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

also finished andor tonight, good poo poo

it sounds genuinely intriguing and i'm a hopeless sucker for spy stories

i did read something saying that the producers were having trouble lining up directors for the second season though. i wonder if that's more a function of them not wanting to do a star war or if they took a look at the scripts and backed away because it's gone off the rails

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
some time I might try watching peep show but I can't really watch too much stuff that gives extreme second hand cringe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the ep in question has some of the most massive cringe ever, while still being funny, so yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

some time I might try watching peep show but I can't really watch too much stuff that gives extreme second hand cringe

it's also unique in that you hear their thoughts, and it nails this sad english life vibe sooo well

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

it's also unique in that you hear their thoughts, and it nails this sad english life vibe sooo well
"i am doing EXCELLENT shopping!" happens early and it really sets the tone

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I guess they had a marketing deal to use Ducatis but the Aprilia (lighter, longer forks) was more suitable for the stunt?
lighter and cheaper if you're gonna crash half a dozen

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

ron moore didn't really work with brannon braga that much on voyager. their big duo years started in the back half of TNG and ran through the first two TNG movies. generations was a turd, but in fairness to them they were literally writing it at the same time they were writing the TNG finale episode, to the point where on more than one occasion they'd be talking and have to stop and ask "wait, is this for All Good Things or for Generations?", and also they had a laundry list of poo poo that had to be done in the First TNG Movie and not nearly enough money to do it in

after TNG, moore went on to DS9, and braga went on to voyager. (braga poo poo all over the DS9 concept, "what, you're gonna wait around for the adventures to come to you??") by the time DS9 ended, braga had since been promoted to showrunner, and moore thought "oh cool i'll hop back over to voyager, do even more star trek, and it'll be like old times working with my buddy braga again!" well, braga basically held him at arm's length despite prior promises everything would be cool, and basically after like two episodes moore left and it took years for them to repair their relationship after that. the voyager writers' room was a very unhappy place.

where people get this idea that moore wanted to do all sorts of stuff on voyager - and, tbf, probably would have if he'd been allowed to, but honestly that was more about UPN demanding the show remain as much in the "syndication pattern" as possible - is when he went and did a big interview after he left, in which he poo poo all over voyager for squandering its premise and dropping buckets of technobabble all over the place, and a lot of the things he said voyager should have been doing came up in BSG. like, hell, that line of dialogue where adama (or was it roslin? can't remember) says "we're gonna need to start having babies" was almost word-for-word what moore said in that interview.

Beeftweeter posted:

there's a handful but most of the characters are pretty reductive. you don't ever think "oh, janeway might do $bad_thing because she's a morally complex individual, sometimes hands have to get a little dirty." instead its "well yeah janeway is very obviously an insane person that should not be entrusted with the lives of hundreds of people."

i remember hearing that, reportedly, when voyager started the three showrunners (rick berman, michael piller, and jeri taylor) basically never came to a consensus on how to write captain janeway. and instead of sitting down and hashing it out once and for all, they just wandered off and wrote her (or instructed script writers to write her) to their preference, which led to her being so inconsistent that people joked about her being schizophrenic.

Shaggar posted:

i remember liking bsg alot when it was on tv, but i tried rewatching it a few years ago and, aside from the prequel/miniseries episodes, i didnt really care for it

it is very dated imo

someone once observed that while the 1978 series tried to portray a society that was, at least superficially, somewhat different from our own, the 2003 series went out of its way to be America, In Space. i'm curious which way the next incarnation of bsg goes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember hearing that, reportedly, when voyager started the three showrunners (rick berman, michael piller, and jeri taylor) basically never came to a consensus on how to write captain janeway. and instead of sitting down and hashing it out once and for all, they just wandered off and wrote her (or instructed script writers to write her) to their preference, which led to her being so inconsistent that people joked about her being schizophrenic.

yeah i wouldn't be surprised, that is quite literally how the character comes across. i suppose for a show like voyager where you have barely consistency at all in terms of setting it can work, but the motley crew they had running things really, really hurt it, and as a result you get "well, janeway might do a bad thing, she might not. if she does it will probably be for a bullshit reason, and if she doesn't, it will have a dumb justification anyway"

i think some of the most cringeworthy tng episodes come from either taylor or piller; ironically, for all the sonic wallpaper milquetoast poo poo he gets, the handful berman did are mostly fine and he was aware of that enough to leave the ds9 writers alone. they're certainly not that bad, just predictably mediocre. piller had a few good or even great ones, but the vast majority of his work sucks i think

a few years back there was a manuscript floating around about him struggling to write insurrection and it just sounded like absolute hell, but that was apparently the star trek movie he wanted to make. insurrection is terrible, it's probably the worst tng one. taylor has enough good ones to count on one hand imo. it's all just cultural appropriation with de minimis introspection and forced drama with characters making the most obvious, dumbest decisions possible

really bad writers

e: lol its me. i'm the bad writer

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 26, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've read Fade In too. i think piller was needed as a leader/manager of the writers in TNG, but yeah he was definitely the wrong writer for Insurrection. the notes he was getting from patrick stewart really didn't help either.

the writing is really where the TNG movies suffered most and it's nuts how the studio couldn't get anyone in there. like, for Generations, rick berman basically had a concept bake-off between braga/moore (who as mentioned before were already writing the series finale), and... loving maurice hurley, who had been fired after the second season. first contact was okay. then Fade In made it sound like basically berman had to twist piller's arm into it because nobody else wanted to.

nemesis had that hack john logan writing it, but that one was loving brent spiner's fault for making that a condition of him coming back to do nemesis, and then john logan somehow getting a clause in his contract that he absolutely could not be rewritten, and then the director was completely checked out because he felt he'd been screwed over by getting stuck with a trek project (b/c he'd been promised a directing gig for saving one of the mission impossible movies in editing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
nemesis is absolutely the worst trek movie, and until Picard hit second season it was the worst trek ever