Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

don't wear a man bun, ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

man buns are sexy and cool

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wear the man bun and become Jonny Snow 290

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
260 rides and works on bikes so a man bun is acceptable and encouraged unless you want to get scalped

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

man buns are sexy and cool

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wear the man bun and become Jonny Snow 290

SmokaDustbowl posted:

260 rides and works on bikes so a man bun is acceptable and encouraged unless you want to get scalped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiSaWAIMek&t=78s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i tried watching eva on netflix. is it like mega abridged or something? the opening made no sense, the boy being a giant pussy made no sense, and his chaperone chick being all thirst bait detracted from everything too idk.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i tried watching eva on netflix. is it like mega abridged or something? the opening made no sense, the boy being a giant pussy made no sense, and his chaperone chick being all thirst bait detracted from everything too idk.

well yeah, it’s anime

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it’s called in medius res op

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I enjoyed eva a lot but none of what you say is inaccurate. tbh skip it if you aren't feeling it and watch something that you definitely like. try it again some other time if you want

if you haven't watched redline, go do that asap. no exaggeration it is one of my favorite pieces of animation ever. just, like, watch it as an audiovisual experience more than as a narrative one. kinda like fury road in that way. or fantasia. except, you know, violent fantasia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fantasia was kinda violent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gruesome broomstick murder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

lol if you care what people do with their hair as long as its clean

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

found a good yosmas present for a lucky yosgoon https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Anderson-Seven-Books-Collection/dp/B0052JSYQG

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the weirdest thing about eva is that it's super dark and the entire ending is a hosed up look at existentialism and despair and depression...

...and then you can buy branded everything from watches to diamond rings to noodles to bags and if you didn't know better you'd think Eva was just like Gundam or Transformers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont watch the netflix dub. its bad.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

NGE is a show about major depression, isolation, and self-determination, masquerading as a giant robot show. there are cool fights yes but thats not the point.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

new episode of raised by wolves is getting weird imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the netflix dub is fine, watch whatever you want

is lovecraft country good?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
am I the only one who has no patience for weekly releases anymore? like I want to watch Raised By Wolves after the positive reviews it’s gotten here but I think I’d rather wait til all the episodes are out and watch them all in a few days

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

am I the only one who has no patience for weekly releases anymore? like I want to watch Raised By Wolves after the positive reviews it’s gotten here but I think I’d rather wait til all the episodes are out and watch them all in a few days

big :same:

unless there's a good chance it'll get spoiled, we generally wait on new serial shows until the season is out. this means we forget shows a lot though- still haven't watched Chernobyl for example

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

is lovecraft country good?

eh. not great, not terrible

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

is it actually based on lovecraft stories, or is it something else?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's based on a book of the same name, not written by hp lovecraft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8b-ZIQ4e8

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I can't remember who recommended it but i bought that D&D Art & Arcana book and it's hella nostalgic and good so thanks

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

indigi posted:

see i hate that. i miss weekly shows on actual television and theorycrafting with friends over battlestar, lost, and heroes. i get annoyed that online releases do entire seasons at once. i like the natural week to week tension. i think early game of thrones was the last time i did that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

I can't remember who recommended it but i bought that D&D Art & Arcana book and it's hella nostalgic and good so thanks
that was hph

and it is a good book

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah it owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

confirmed that book rules

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha

who's a very special dragon?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

indigi posted:

i think the way they're doing it is kinda smart cause they're protecting you from binging but also giving you 2 eps each release day. if there was more content to fill out the other days i dont think people would care as much.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casual Encountess posted:

see i hate that. i miss weekly shows on actual television and theorycrafting with friends over battlestar, lost, and heroes. i get annoyed that online releases do entire seasons at once. i like the natural week to week tension. i think early game of thrones was the last time i did that.

i mean we have fargo coming up that's better than pretty much anything hbo has and pretty sure it's week by week

so is the boys and raised by wolves has a staggered release

say hi to the water cooler gang

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

i think the way they're doing it is kinda smart cause they're protecting you from binging but also giving you 2 eps each release day. if there was more content to fill out the other days i dont think people would care as much.
i think this is true. i can see the pros and cons but yeah having other content is important.

from an Big Netflix-type (or even really any media), you want your show to remain in the zeitgeist for as long as possible and keep subs going (be it cable or streaming services). there is also the ability to release-as-you-go although I think most of the time they're already finished before they go out the door. from my limited experience, and I can't say I watch much tv these days, is that shows that drop a big steaming dump all at once get some brief flash fanfare and then wink out of existence very quickly. there's also that just having "too much dumped on you" at once is kind of discouraging in a way that seeing yet another Big Triple AAAA publisher Open-World game is just dauntingly ughhh whereas picking up something that "has just started" is easier. But also waiting too long in between is also dumb--maybe (and probably) weekly is optimal, maybe twice-weekly works just as well, maybe every other week also works almost as well although prob not

people with a lot more data than us and being paid infinitely more than any of us have probably mostly figured this out. i think one of the give-aways is that streaming services initially tried "big steaming dump" of episodes all at once approach and have seemed to backtracked to a more cable-approach of weekly-releases, so they're probably came to the similar conclusion for their bottom line.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 25, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every other week is too long.

The whole point of having a regular release cadence is to build habits - "every Thursday at 9, we sit down and watch the new episode of the show that just came out". If you only do it some Thursdays and not others then what's the point?

It's the desperation move you do when you don't actually have enough content in the pipe and need to stretch out what you do have so it's not as obvious.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i assumed the multi-year gaps in their release schedule was what killed venture bros

yeah yeah animation scheduling but that still seemed too long even for that

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hardly anything sticks anymore in general because poo poo that happened six months ago feels like years ago

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i assumed the multi-year gaps in their release schedule was what killed venture bros

yeah yeah animation scheduling but that still seemed too long even for that
definitely. i was surprised to hear it was even still A Thing because I remember watching that poo poo back in the early/mid 2000s and dropped off in like... 2009? like it pretty regularly went 3-years without a new season and very easy to go "huh was that still on?" like everyone does when you mention Archer which at least came out once a year - 1.5 years

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My attention span is so completely and utterly shot to hell that I can barely even watch a single episode of anything in one sitting and you're telling me there's people who mainline 12 episodes of something in a row like some sort of audio visual hot dog eating contest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
12 episodes of a half hour show with commercials removed is less than 5 hours, that's not unreasonable if it's something that really grabs you and you have nothing else to do that day

12 episodes of a streaming drama at 50-70 minutes per is a bit much though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i watched the entire run of other space today while working

the hot at&t lady is horny in it. also joel and croooooow are there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyone else excited for the mark hamill / patrick stewart star wars / star trek crossover movie