Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
watched the first ten minutes of Tomorrow War, very boring and cheap looking so far. oh boy a clumsy climate change allegory executed in the only way Americans could understand: a problem to be shot at with lots of guns. idk if I’ll continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
star trek sucksss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhq2U5jtAi0

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a friend of mine tried to convince me that discovery was good and I almost had to cut him out of my life

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
for smoka i guess
https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1411059203058421763?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there are some dumb things about discovery but about 60% of the complaints revolve around the fact that it has a black star as well as gays and nonbinaries front and center

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im sure there are some fringe people complaining about that, but 99% of discovery's problems are caused by terrible, terrible, terrible writing. picard has the same problem, although picard is definitely worse

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
picard was so bad lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

there are some dumb things about discovery but about 60% of the complaints revolve around the fact that it has a black star as well as gays and nonbinaries front and center

this is wildly inaccurate

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

picard was so bad lol

I have no idea why they decided to make grimdark star treks. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of trek.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because the people who made it don't actually like star trek and they didn't want to make star trek, but that's what CBS was buying

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have no idea why they decided to make grimdark star treks. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of trek.

it wasn't even that dark tbh, like there was some swears and some poorly conveyed violence but not much more

it felt like star trek nemesis as a tv series

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I only saw one season of Discovery but

- the protagonist was as engaging as a dead tree
- the show really tried to be grimdark and that sucks rear end
- the plot was so unmemorable that I simply don't remember it
- the technobabble was apparently written by I loving Love Science.facebook

I did like the Klingons in it though and I wanted to see more of them.

kloobies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The classic :capitalism: reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

kloobies

the show's production has been completely hosed since the first season and the revolving door of showrunners seemingly left them scrambling to figure out what the gently caress they're even doing for at least the first two seasons. they want to have big season long arcs but the writers can't actually write them, so they have a lot of really obvious and nonsensical plot holes* that you have to just ignore so that you can enjoy the characters, who unfortunately also aren't particularly strong.

there's more of a direct protagonist instead of the usual ensemble cast, but she's not really well enough written to carry the show. everything is pathos and melodrama to paper over the fact that nothing interesting is actually happening and every problem is ultimately solved with violence, presumably because that's easier to write than something clever and thoughtful

*again, star trek's writing has very rarely been good, it just didn't matter when they had 22 chances a season to make something decent and no plot ever had to last longer than an occasional two-parter

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 4, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

kloobies

mediaphage posted:

the complaints revolve around the fact that it has a black star as well as gays and nonbinaries front and center

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess if your read is that sagebrush finds the protagonist "as engaging as a dead tree" because she's a black woman

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 4, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

q/e

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it has its issues but honestly i enjoy it. and i thought the third season was ok even if i didn’t at all care for poison ivy

anyway it’s not near as bad as picard, which has no redeeming features at all imo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah they kinda hosed him over, but terrence howard is also thoroughly insane

yeah, the cops have fuckin snatched his crops

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/labuzamovies/status/1411178690600325125

ahhahahahahh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

it has its issues but honestly i enjoy it. and i thought the third season was ok even if i didn’t at all care for poison ivy

anyway it’s not near as bad as picard, which has no redeeming features at all imo

at least in the third season they got to soft-reboot things and do something that wasn't tied to that millstone of a premise they clearly wanted to abandon in the first season

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Okay Picard had its issues but personally I have no expectation of a star trek being good and also 7 gettin gay with it

Maybe it was just pandering and gay-baiting but idc

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mediaphage posted:

i tried really hard to like this show and the characters aren’t the problem, it’s the terrible plots.

making the whole plot mirror universe instead of one fan service episode is a very bad idea because mirror universe is very stupid

inventing a faster than warp travel that is based on fungus that will have to be retconned out is also very dumb and bad

i did like the giant tardigrade tho, that’s a good space monster

and the klingon makeup and costume design is good too

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 4, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't get the complaints about the spore drive

"oh no my magic spaceship is more powerful in this story than in the stories i used to watch!! what a mistake!!!"

and anyway they establish pretty clearly it was an experiment and heading to the future took care of it so whatever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a nice thing about star trek in 2021 is that you can't really tarnish its legacy anymore, and large franchises dying out is no longer a thing, so it is real easy to let people enjoy the things they enjoy and know that something else will roll around eventually.

has 'sisko' been announced yet?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/aanand/status/1411333889218560000

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's my view, too. i think disco is overall pretty lame, but have hope it'll turn around cause there are parts of it i like a lot. most of what i don't like about it is that it could be better - if it were just a generic space show with bad writing and the same characters, i'd prob watch it and not complain as much. ill watch it when the next season comes out, it's good-enough even if it isnt good

picard was also not very good (and for mostly the same reasons), but it might be better next season. lower decks is good. whatever the next series are might be good, and if they're not good enough to watch then i just won't. the more star trek that gets made the better. kinda like star wars imo - i loved rogue one and the mandalorian, and if the price of that is Solo and the life day special or w/e that's fine because it's really easy to not watch a particular movie or show

in summary

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

absolutely the least realistic episode of the entire series.

oh hey i'm wesley crusher a 16 year old boy and this hot girl my age wants me to play this game with her where were are both just constantly cumming. better say no and take the loving thing apart and play bobbsey twins instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

absolutely the least realistic episode of the entire series.

oh hey i'm wesley crusher a 16 year old boy and this hot girl my age wants me to play this game with her where were are both just constantly cumming. better say no and take the loving thing apart and play bobbsey twins instead

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wesley is an awful character, i'm glad they got rid of him for the later seasons.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i didn’t mind him when i was like six for the obvious reasons that he was a kid

as an adult though i understood why he was so terrible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Imo Barclay is probably the most relatable character. The brain of a computer toucher, completely terrified of everything, and uses the holodeck for the reasons most people would use it for.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its definitely important to keep children together with their parents, here on this starship that's on a 'science mission' but constantly getting into knockdown dragout fights with cube-flying wikipedia editors and oh yeah occasionally this pansexual trickster god shows up and tries to bang the captain. thats better than parking them in SF or on a secured space station somewhere in the solar system

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
i did always find that weird, even if there was no combat they are sure to be doing dangerous poo poo probing reality and such

better bring the 2.5 kids and the dog and promptly fly them into a time warp/black hole somewhere

also goddamn i hate wesley, but mainly cause he's a mary sue character and ugh

oh it just so happens that your dumbass science project saves the day huh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bringing the family to a nice battle to the death with the borg.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

crew of 900 and only like 6 of them had families

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Trabisnikof posted:

crew of 900 and only like 6 of them had families

USS Marissa Mayer over here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shala posted:

i did always find that weird, even if there was no combat they are sure to be doing dangerous poo poo probing reality and such

better bring the 2.5 kids and the dog and promptly fly them into a time warp/black hole somewhere

also goddamn i hate wesley, but mainly cause he's a mary sue character and ugh

oh it just so happens that your dumbass science project saves the day huh

they let him drive the ship

why did they let him drive the ship

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they let him drive the ship

why did they let him drive the ship

because the captain wanted to get his beverly crushered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

The federation is a post scarcity utopia. Only idiots join starfleet.