Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FMguru posted:

great cast, good production design, just a disaster of a script

they wasted so much potential it's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oneiros posted:

they wasted so much potential it's incredible

it was like g*d himself stepped in

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
I read flowers for algernon one time and then i also watched the lawnmower man

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

at the end of queen's gambit I was half expecting her secret service handler to offer her a position on an elite team of crime fighters

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

raspurtin posted:

at the end of queen's gambit I was half expecting her secret service handler to offer her a position on an elite team of crime fighters

too pure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntv9R1She5A

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hoverwife burst out laughing when they played that leitmotif during the ed norton one

she wasn't familiar with the old show ofc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

will ferret?

he sure will!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

he sure will!

xD

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wife: "Hey season 2 of that weird ferret show starts tonight."

is that Hamilton? gently caress watching this show I guess

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

is that Hamilton? gently caress watching this show I guess

i would watch the hell out of hamilton adapted

played like the The State of Georgia v. Denver Fenton Allen

no talent white guys just reading it with maybe cartoons or animes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIxOqv5Cs0

is now available """On Demand"""

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

reading Ash: A Secret History but im getting pretty annoyed with the main character being incredibly horny for one of the bad guys for no apparent reason

i guess she likes to be humiliated and betrayed? i guess thats fine if shes into that but its getting tiresome

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Carthag Tuek posted:

reading Ash: A Secret History but im getting pretty annoyed with the main character being incredibly horny for one of the bad guys for no apparent reason

i guess she likes to be humiliated and betrayed? i guess thats fine if shes into that but its getting tiresome

man for the most part i hate when "romance" gets shoveled into a book. i don't have anything against it as long as it's not the main plot, i guess, but mostly writers are so bad at writing them and it brings the rest of the book down

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

romance is fine, i just have an incredibly hard time understanding the motivations at play here

shes this larger than life joan of arc character who is super badass etc etc who meets this knight who seems familiar at the emperors court. like immediately after, the emperor arranges for them to be married.

she realizes that they met once before the main story starts, when they were teenagers, and he literally had his friends hold her down and they all pissed on her which is pretty gross and wtf

so now theyre married and he is constantly being an rear end in a top hat and calling her whore and slut, then he goes over to the enemy and gives them intel so they can capture her and send her to her certain death, she escapes and meets him again and he is still being an rear end in a top hat, all "waahh dont blame me, im just a coward, also i hate you and think youre less than dirt"

all the while she is so horny that she cant help but smell her fingers if she touches him, or imagine him naked, like it literally fogs her thoughts so she cant pay attention every time he shows up. everyone else is like "why wont you let us kill him???"

and now shes pregnant :sigh:

i bet it ends with him seeing the error of his ways and falling in love with her.

e: ive also considered a love potion or some dumb poo poo being in play, but it doesnt seem to be that kind of fantasy (its more like alt-history)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

when a woman falls in love with a schlub in a book, its a safe bet that the schlub is a stand-in for the author

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the author is a woman so :shrug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

the author is a woman so :shrug:

[consults Big Book of Freud] then its her dad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: ive also considered a love potion or some dumb poo poo being in play, but it doesnt seem to be that kind of fantasy (its more like alt-history)

an alt-history where aggressive negging works, apparently

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
done with raised by wolves

that certainly was a television show

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

done with raised by wolves

that certainly was a television show

it had so much potential and ended up using none of it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So, "I've got mad love" (as the kids say these days) for the Vorkosigan books but goddamn am I skeeved the gently caress out by the novelette Labyrinth where Miles deflowers a 16-year old werewolf then gets into v.high dudgeon over how immoral the scientist what created her was in wanting her destroyed rather than being sold as a slave.

:wtc: Bujold?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
:ohno:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/maryrobinette/status/1329175924659589126?s=21

The mouse gonna mouse.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo that's egregious

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

"we just bought the benefits and not the obligations" is some straight up supervillain poo poo. if supervillans were boring accountant lawyers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

if supervillans were boring accountant lawyers

:capitalism:

:shrug:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

gently caress disney

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Achmed Jones posted:

this is some straight up legal calculus poo poo, "let's try it and if it works we'll essentially argue it as precedent for a 'use it or lose it' style approach where the burden is on the writer to enforce the contract not us to respect it, and if they don't, we claim they've abandoned the work"

at the same time though, who the gently caress is buying the Alien novelisations? I think read the alien 3 one which i bought for 10p at a garden sale in 1997

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is some straight up legal calculus poo poo, "let's try it and if it works we'll essentially argue it as precedent for a 'use it or lose it' style approach where the burden is on the writer to enforce the contract not us to respect it, and if they don't, we claim they've abandoned the work"

at the same time though, who the gently caress is buying the Alien novelisations? I think read the alien 3 one which i bought for 10p at a garden sale in 1997

It seems pretty bad but will be immensely funny if there have actually just been 0 sales

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

seems at least two people bought it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Carthag Tuek posted:

seems at least two people bought it

are you suggesting I need to send Alan Dean Foster a royalties cheque?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

are you suggesting I need to send Alan Dean Foster a royalties cheque?

no, but since it evidently did get sold to someone disney should

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I forget if I/someone has brought this up, but I've been reading Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire and it's really, really good. The characters are compelling and the story is complicated in a really satisfying way. Like many series the first book is a little rough, but the second book hits it out of the park and I am really into the third so far.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Started re-watching Season 3 of Futurama, I'm amazed by how good/funny this season was.

E: Did we ever get a reason that owls are their pigeon-equivalents?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 19, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe a nod at birds being rare in blade runner/do androids dream of electric sheep?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC in the commentary they say it’s one of those things they decided to change at random because it’s funny

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its a pretty fun, dumb movie

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I only every watched S01E01 but apparently Supernatural has finally come to a close after fifteen seasons :prepop:

There's a few fandom blogs a couple reblogs distant from my usual follows and it seems the hardcore fans are not best pleased with how things have been tied up :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost