Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao the fact the 99/100 this would have been an actual HK stuntman makes the obvious dummy even more egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
A+

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

it was too much fun

and lena headey's performance for the purple wedding really sold it too

did not expect

what show are we talking about ?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yep lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

oh yep lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMFLDb3CbI

yeah that part

sarah connor does not like it when her firstborn incest baby dies

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSw1zeYdcQ

for when you really, REALLY need to let people know you smoke w̨͌ͯ̈́̅͢͏͇̬̺̤͚̜ ̳͈͓̼̼͊̿͑̍̄̋̑ę̷̶̞͚̙̻̹̺̙̠̲̐̋͗͌̀̎ͤ̚ ̖̪̹͕̳̺̪̖͕̋̃͑ͨ̊̓̏͡ȩ̵̛̘͈͕͈̭̄ͮͥ͋͑ ͚̰̘͆̾́ͭ̓̃ͨ̆̈́̀d̓̿̾ͩ͏̧͖̭̳͇̞̗̘

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rewatching The Phantom Menace for the first time in almost fifteen years and I think I've figured out what the problem with the movie is. it's not that jar jar binks is a poo poo character. it's not that the writing sucks. it's not that the early pre-LOTR digital film and CGI combination is noticeable and kinda janky

it's that there are scene cuts every loving 30 seconds. I'm half an hour in and there have been at least fifty wipes, most of which are jumping completely out of the context of what's going on prior to the wipe. it's all still in the naboo/trade federation/palpatine story but it's insanely jarring and it feels absolutely nothing like any of the other star wars films. even Attack of the Clones has the sense to make any given scene last five minutes -- we're not spending 30 seconds on mandalore then jumping back to the senate then 30 seconds later popping over to the council then back to mandalore, we spend a good chunk of time with Obi-Wan on Mandalore going over the clone project and meeting actual important characters, culminating with an interesting fight scene

we haven't even met Anakin yet and this is already an insanely disjointed mess that makes me wonder when george started eating solids for breakfast instead of yayo

e: good loving work to the 4K blu-ray team on this one for placing the hardcoded watto subtitles in a manner that gets cut off by the 3840x1608 matte. even the lucasfilm dipshits knew this film wasn't worth saving.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kazinsal posted:

rewatching The Phantom Menace for the first time in almost fifteen years and I think I've figured out what the problem with the movie is. it's not that jar jar binks is a poo poo character. it's not that the writing sucks. it's not that the early pre-LOTR digital film and CGI combination is noticeable and kinda janky

it's that there are scene cuts every loving 30 seconds. I'm half an hour in and there have been at least fifty wipes, most of which are jumping completely out of the context of what's going on prior to the wipe. it's all still in the naboo/trade federation/palpatine story but it's insanely jarring and it feels absolutely nothing like any of the other star wars films. even Attack of the Clones has the sense to make any given scene last five minutes -- we're not spending 30 seconds on mandalore then jumping back to the senate then 30 seconds later popping over to the council then back to mandalore, we spend a good chunk of time with Obi-Wan on Mandalore going over the clone project and meeting actual important characters, culminating with an interesting fight scene

we haven't even met Anakin yet and this is already an insanely disjointed mess that makes me wonder when george started eating solids for breakfast instead of yayo

e: good loving work to the 4K blu-ray team on this one for placing the hardcoded watto subtitles in a manner that gets cut off by the 3840x1608 matte. even the lucasfilm dipshits knew this film wasn't worth saving.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

“The Phantom Menace” was depressing, perhaps because of the centrality of the child Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), whose perky earnestness in a holy cause makes the movie feel like a homiletic children’s broadcast. The actual emotional peak of the film—the “Ben-Hur” parody of the space-chariot race, which Lucas realized with obvious verve and delight—occurred early on, while the huge quantities of exposition and lengthy establishment of the conflicts underlying the episode and the series turned the film into a slog. Nonetheless, the sheer volume of that exposition, the invention of an intergalactic politics to counterbalance the quasi-religious story, impressed me even more than the mythology of “A New Hope”—even if Lucas here relied on even duller methods to deliver it. What’s more, one visual device—the red zone of the shield generator, which filled the screen to look like a faded and scratched color print running sideways—was utterly arresting (I watched it three or four times in a row) and it suggested realms of invention that Lucas was barely ready to tap.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress me I totally forgot about the whole virgin birth angle

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

I wish I could go back in time and get george off the blow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kazinsal posted:

it's not that jar jar binks is a poo poo character. it's not that the writing sucks.

jar jar is a different kind of character than we've had in star wars before. he's the key to all this.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress me I totally forgot about the whole virgin birth angle

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

I wish I could go back in time and get george off the blow

it's like hearing about the woman who had to transcribe tarantino's script for pulp fiction

barely intelligible and you have to wipe the blood and coke off the pages

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

"amusing"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

"amusing"

"and promiscuous"

-Spielberg

ya know for a 12 y/o

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway The Duel (aka Duel Of The Iron Fist) was wild. check it out.

not to be confused with Duel Of Fists, also from 1971 by the same director lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

it's that there are scene cuts every loving 30 seconds. I'm half an hour in and there have been at least fifty wipes, most of which are jumping completely out of the context of what's going on prior to the wipe.

george lucas is a terrible editor. star wars was famously saved in editing by his wife. really the credit for star wars' success should go 50% to marcia lucas and 50% to ILM.

as a terrible editor, if he had the final cut over phantom menace, which of course he did, that's why it's disjointed and awful.

he also sucks at directing. he did not direct empire strikes back, and it is obviously the best one.

he's not a good scriptwriter either (see those screenshots above).

and his ideas are all fundamentally ripped off from prior works.

what is he good at, anyway?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

making money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

WORLDBUILDING! here's the merchant character, who keeps child slaves and has a big nose

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

george lucas is a terrible editor. star wars was famously saved in editing by his wife. really the credit for star wars' success should go 50% to marcia lucas and 50% to ILM.

as a terrible editor, if he had the final cut over phantom menace, which of course he did, that's why it's disjointed and awful.

he also sucks at directing. he did not direct empire strikes back, and it is obviously the best one.

he's not a good scriptwriter either (see those screenshots above).

truth

the best thing he hasn't done was Andor which was a love letter to his student project THX 1138

clever man, that was also his phone number

lando, windu, etc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

taking the credit

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

truth

seeing her save his magnum opus from the dumpster fire it deserved is incredible

the best thing he hasn't done was Andor which was a love letter to his student project THX 1138

clever man, that was also his phone number

lando, windu, etc

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
ugh gently caress quote is not edit

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indiana jones is my favorite fictional character so i just wanna point out that, despite george lucas' best attempts, spielberg eventually decided marion was 16 and indy was a 26 year old grad student when they first met. it's gross but 1925 was a different time and indy is NOT a pedophile. :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

indiana jones is my favorite fictional character so i just wanna point out that, despite george lucas' best attempts, spielberg eventually decided marion was 16 and indy was a 26 year old grad student when they first met. it's gross but 1925 was a different time and indy is NOT a pedophile. :mad:

so with tenure and planes in place, what hat do you usually wear?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and motorcycles! don't forget motorcycles.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What the gently caress is this real?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

and motorcycles! don't forget motorcycles.

haha, true!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The best bad directing in Star Wars is Hamill and Fischer slipping into fake english accents whenever they are opposite Guinness and Cushing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

this one is kindof a bullshit criticism. it’s not like he’s lifting other movies scene-for-scene. liking to make art that deliberately calls back to other work or builds on it is not some grave artistic sin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

What the gently caress is this real?

as real as anything else: https://moedred.livejournal.com/2009/03/04/ under "TAPE TWO"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

this one is kindof a bullshit criticism. it’s not like he’s lifting other movies scene-for-scene. liking to make art that deliberately calls back to other work or builds on it is not some grave artistic sin

I'm not criticizing him for ripping off other movies, just countering the argument that "sure, he's not a great director or editor or screenwriter, but he comes up with such creative ideas!" His ideas aren't that creative in the end. Star Wars is Kurosawa plus Dambusters in space.

Star Wars is the best space opera series and Indiana Jones is the best adventure series, but that's because of the whole team. Lucas is just the boss

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

he's an ephebophile!
:goonsay:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

as real as anything else

uhh

mystes
May 31, 2006

I still don't understand if it's a real transcript or if it's some sort of fiction because it's on live journal :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorry, would it help if it had a blue check?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what? do you want to get into the burden of proof for a supposed transcript of an informal chat recorded in 1978, here, in the sci-fi thread?

either you believe that is a transcript of a recorded session or you don't there's not going to be a fulsome accounting and chain of trust here. this is some poo poo that would have been on some fan usenet 30 years ago, but instead it's on this person's livejournal page from 2009

the transcript itself has been posted elsewhere, not using this site as the original source, it's a thing that's been around for quite a while

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, at some point you need to consider the source and the context around that source and decide for yourself if it's something you're willing to trust because george lucas probably didn't have that conversation with entertainment weekly