Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

infernal machines posted:

it's bad writing

it truly just seems like a lot of back-writing to get to the cool battle scene he thought of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think i could forgive a lot of bad writing/acting/etc if it was a cool battlescene, and i saw it in the movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I still haven’t watched it yet due to work stuff, but I’m at the point where they’re getting unloaded at the battlefield now. I guess I’ll prepare for disappointment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi posted:

it truly just seems like a lot of back-writing to get to the cool battle scene he thought of

tbf, you don't go to a nolan film for the story, you go for the spectacle. as long as he delivers on that, he's doing fine

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
you need to watch tenet a second time to fully understand it, but it’s because of the audio mix not the plot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

tbf, you don't go to a nolan film for the story, you go for the spectacle. as long as he delivers on that, he's doing fine

I had such high hopes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i was
underwhelmed by it but not being able to hear/understand the dialogue was not something i recall struggling with

maybe it’s like a tarintino movie you either enjoy the movie or see nothing but feet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nolan audio is ok, they speak and if you dont hear it its fine cause the movie will show you what you missed

many people say that the audio is bad but imo its fine. i have tinnitus and luck. i only use subtitles for french, and thats cause im trying to learn

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 19, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ups

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not that you asked but one of the things that helped me beef up my language skills (also french) was reading books i’d already read in english, in french. especially books for children like harry pooter or whatever

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i don't think i've seen a nolan film newer than either batmin or inception because everything besides the action setpieces are dogshit

momento holds up though

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did grogu die yet in the magolorian

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Now Mando S2 has finished I'm watching it all this weekend, wow but S2E4 (the 'abandoned base' one) felt so much like an original Star Wars Dark Forces mission; the previous 3 eps were OK but a bit 'thin' feeling, but this one I was totally onboard for. Also the return of Kenner Toy Favourite the Troop Transport, and were those goddamn Dark Troopers at the end? :eyepop:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
neat!
https://twitter.com/simonstalenhag/status/1340029749608001538

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

mediaphage posted:

not that you asked but one of the things that helped me beef up my language skills (also french) was reading books i’d already read in english, in french. especially books for children like harry pooter or whatever

I buy multi-lingual books for my tiny baby and read them that way. my partner is a polyglot and I figured the best way to learn is at the same time a baby does! it's mostly vocab and stuff obviously and I use Duolingo for the grammar, but I'm definitely gonna buy more children's books in other languages to help learn.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
ora ora ora

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

were those goddamn Dark Troopers at the end? :eyepop:

is this some expanded universe poo poo or something? I'd never heard of these and thought the name was some of the laziest writing I'd ever come across

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
wow golden kamuy is full 1900s russian revolutionary now, loving awesome

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are any of the apple TV shows any good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Ted Lasso is fantastic and its such a drag that its on apple+ where nobody is gonna watch it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i like the space show. the moon scenery alone is worth watching it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve heard good things about Ted Lasso. I shall procure it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

you need to watch tenet a second time to fully understand it, but it’s because of the audio mix not the plot.

i just watched it again and I still don't understand half of it but I actually kind of like the audio mix. That crazy sawing/pulsing noise was very effective at adding tension

I did have to ride the volume control though as holy poo poo does the subwoofer I have get a workout at points

Edit: that happens with other films too though. I think it's just too good at kicking out low level bass and I need to gently caress with the calibration or something to shift the curve right if that's even possible on the amp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once we had a resident movie expert here and once said that proper blu ray dolby poo poo does something so that the movei is more like inthe movies but if youre just watching rips you wont get that so you'll have this obscenely huge difference in volume between dialogue and action

or maybe you arent watching a rip coz wholesome individual

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
pirating media is ethical and no different from buying a used book

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

once we had a resident movie expert here and once said that proper blu ray dolby poo poo does something so that the movei is more like inthe movies but if youre just watching rips you wont get that so you'll have this obscenely huge difference in volume between dialogue and action

or maybe you arent watching a rip coz wholesome individual

I actually bought the 4k hdr disc because amazon wanted 50% of the price to stream in HD and I have an hdr TV (Idk if it makes much difference tbh), also my wife never managed to watch it in the cinema because she was pregnant and the first gunshots like 10 seconds in caused the baby to flip the gently caress out and she had to leave.

baby slept through the film at home though :shrug:

I do need to recalibrate the amp but the subwoofer is way overpowered tbh

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

is this some expanded universe poo poo or something? I'd never heard of these and thought the name was some of the laziest writing I'd ever come across

they're from the game Dark Forces.

the episode was good and all but i don't like how they seem to be hinting about the new movies. it's harder to enjoy when you know it's leading up to TFA.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dark troopers were the empire unique unit in the age of empires ii star wars clone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

i think i could have forgiven this IF there was a cool battle scene. i guess the plane scene but in reverse was cool. rest of it had really loving horrible action. the end-shootout is literally just team fortress 2 color coded teams going at it shooting empty buildings and empty cars and helicopters exploding for no real discernable reason.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I assume tenet is like 2 and a half hours long, so I'm never going to watch it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the "dark" part of the name is because they're automating away stormtrooper jobs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you're not scorsese I'm not watching your 3 hour long superhero fuckfest

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the "dark" part of the name is because they're automating away stormtrooper jobs

judging by the way the stormptroopers are performing at their jobs throughout the series, imperial management is making a wise decision

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
wow sugimoto is fuckin PISSED

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

thats me when mcdonalds forgets to put the sauce in with my chicken nuggets

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

he's immortal you know

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

thats me when mcdonalds forgets to put the sauce in with my chicken nuggets

I'm devastated when I get home from Wendy's and there's no honey mustard in the bag

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm devastated when I get home from Wendy's and there's no honey mustard in the bag
woe to he that does not heed the wisdom of joe pesci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRP8Tl4BsUQ

FMguru fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I assume tenet is like 2 and a half hours long, so I'm never going to watch it

to it's credit, it doesn't feel too long because its like a bunch of 30-second quiet scenes rapidly cutting between each one but underscored by an ongoing trumming violin score. but also mostly because i kept waiting for it to get good and then it ended