Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I didn't know there was a difference in what you could use - assumed it was all fair game. Does that mean you can have a yellow bear in a red shirt named winnie the pooh but it has to be a completely different art style or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think it's more that if there was something added to the character by one of the later works, that wasn't in the one that's now public domain, you can't use it.

mickey mouse has a bunch of those, idk if winnie the pooh does though

mystes
May 31, 2006

They can't use the poohmarillion

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

polyester concept posted:

I didn't know there was a difference in what you could use - assumed it was all fair game. Does that mean you can have a yellow bear in a red shirt named winnie the pooh but it has to be a completely different art style or something?

basically

as an example, mickey mouse as seen in steamboat willie will be public domain next year, but mickey mouse as depicted in fantasia will be a copyright violation

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
can't wait for the cloverfield-style adaptation where pooh and piglet get stalked by the woozle

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah the Winnie the Pooh stuff makes me think Disney is probably right about perpetual copyright

seeing a calvin pissing on chevy logo sticker fo r the first time and weeping uncontrollably

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

as an example, mickey mouse as seen in steamboat willie will be public domain next year,

congress will make a heroic effort and pass a law extending copyright terms another thirty years the night before this happens.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bump_fn posted:

seeing a calvin pissing on chevy logo sticker fo r the first time and weeping uncontrollably

jordan peterson? is that you?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

congress will make a heroic effort and pass a law extending copyright terms another thirty years the night before this happens.

I hope Disney keeps pissing off Republicans

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Who gives a poo poo let the cheesy horror adaptations rain

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mr. Crow posted:

Who gives a poo poo

yeah this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol at clinging to the sanctity of anything

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

jordan peterson? is that you?

lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally watch unbearable weight of massive talent last night, incredible movie. Can anyone explain the paddington 2 meme was somebody imvolved in the movie involved with that or was it just monkey cheese?

apparently its well reviewed i kinda want to watch it now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Crow posted:

Finally watch unbearable weight of massive talent last night, incredible movie. Can anyone explain the paddington 2 meme was somebody imvolved in the movie involved with that or was it just monkey cheese?

all i know about p2 is everyone loved it. i'll keep waiting and watch it with my kid whenever

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i can confirm that paddington 2 is really good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i loved paddington bear as a kid

*gives you a cold, hard stare*

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Elder Postsman posted:

emptyquote

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bodysnatchers79/status/1639286958701572098

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
first of all i love it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

that's way freakier than arnold, totally a more cyberpunk style

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
like a robot boddicker from robocop

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

was it this guy? https://twitter.com/jaythechou/status/1634078283674587143?s=46&t=6JmnyOTQiHDGHEJoE0M-8Q

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

it really does seem to be a wonderful movie beloved by all who have watched it. i suspect that it was just somebody who had kids of the right age, and so saw it, being like "movie is a massive sleeper, i'm gonna put it in the script." that's totally a guess on my part though.

i still haven't watched paddington 2, but i definitely want to now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my brother over in jersey caught them filming the new joker movie

at this place: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aWUZrgvJoJR4GVUi7?g_st=ic

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljDDcTnTG0

friday night

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh nice TASCHEN have another huge artbook in the works, this time the master FRAZETTA

https://www.taschen.com/en/books/art/05357/the-fantastic-worlds-of-frank-frazetta/

love me some giant hardback book :allears:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm watching the Frazetta movie Fire and Ice right now. I've never heard of it and I'm going in totally blind. It already has cavemen fighting wizards so I'm optimistic about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
John Wick 4 is pretty good. could have lost 20 minutes without even noticing but some of the setpiece fights are really cool. the very second they wrapped Keanu became too old to ever star in another action movie, a couple of his fights were right on the borderline

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm watching the Frazetta movie Fire and Ice right now. I've never heard of it and I'm going in totally blind. It already has cavemen fighting wizards so I'm optimistic about it.

looks a whole lot like heavy metal

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

its also a ralph bakshi movie so its full of wonderful rotoscoping

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that's way freakier than arnold, totally a more cyberpunk style

also a robot that is claimed to be an infiltration/assassination model makes a lot more sense when it looks like lance henriksen than when it looks like literally arnold schwarzenegger

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i tried to watch early 80s Japanese punk movie 'Burst City' last night after it coincidentally got mentioned in two different youtube videos. I think i made it about 30 minutes in before giving up. half the shots are extreme closeups or handheld shaky-cam, you have no idea who anyone is, and there's almost no dialogue. it's like someone spliced together a dozen audience recordings of japanese also-ran punk bands, with a very tacked on narrative. even the wiki article says its a product of its time and doesn't really hold up as a film.

it also does that infuriating thing you see in a lot of japanese media, where all emotion is portrayed by people throwing their heads back and shrieking loudly. there are entire scenes of nothing but that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds punk as gently caress

tbh i think punk is supposed to be annoying and lovely and thoroughly unpleasant to experience, that's the whole point of the style

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 25, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
among the things punk is rebelling against is the idea that you have to be skilled at your art before showing it off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

among the things punk is rebelling against is the idea that you have to be skilled at your art before showing it off
                                                 /
                                                /
                                               /

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh nice TASCHEN have another huge artbook in the works, this time the master FRAZETTA

https://www.taschen.com/en/books/art/05357/the-fantastic-worlds-of-frank-frazetta/

love me some giant hardback book :allears:

i've moved around enough to usually want to avoid accumulating stuff but god drat

someone gave me a taschen collection of fritz kahn's work for a birthday and now i'd set aside a ton of space for anything they put out, especially badass barbarian art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

watched eeaao last night. fun movie. deserves the plaudits imo