Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the best part of Warrior is what a fuckin hunk the main dude is. the second best part of Warrior is when he finally fights the Irish dickhead at the end of season two

e: I remembered the show has a third white girl (the cop's wife) and she's very good

e2: another good part about the show is that it's very diverse, but they don't do that BBC thing where they pretend that racism and homophobia weren't dominant cultural forces at the time and all the main characters are paragons of 21st century liberal virtue

indigi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

i know you had a tight comprehensible plot, but now it's time to add a world- (or better: galaxy-) level threat so that everyone knows you're serious

okay now make the real stakes higher. that was a red herring, right?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
just watched the teddy perkins ep of atlanta. lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

me whenever soeone posts "ban all cars" in yospos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that scene was so loving good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got bored in totk so now i'm watching warrior. just the cold open to s1e1 and hell yes this is extremely my jam

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's got a bit more horny than i care for in my shows, but it's still very well made. enjoy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah it's the best sales pitch I can think of for a tv show

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

It's got a bit more horny than i care for in my shows

indigi posted:

the best sales pitch I can think of for a tv show

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

yeah warrior is great, its Cinemax so some most episodes are so very horny

highly telegraphed cinemax spoilers below
"oh yeah just come up to my loft where i just happen to keep my self painted nudes everywhere, a sex couch, and a bathtub in the middle of the room Ah Sahm"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well look at Ah Sahm. it breaks suspension of disbelief if they aren't trying to get the pipe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wait what tv show has a bit o horny?!!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Halfway through the first expanse book and the story and setting are great. Writing is pretty workmanlike though so might watch the TV series instead unless someone says that it picks up in the later entries.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

wait what tv show has a bit o horny?!!

"warrior" is apparently a show on cinemax (which often is just softcore with some story)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

"warrior" is apparently a show on cinemax (which often is just softcore with some story)

hbo has purged their streaming library of all the “late night” content in favor of the super popular “white people misusing mining equipment and committing environmental crimes” genre from the discovery deal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

hbo has purged their streaming library of all the “late night” content in favor of the super popular “white people misusing mining equipment and committing environmental crimes” genre from the discovery deal

lol WBD is such a shitshow. i don't think literally anyone is happy with them, they just managed to piss off the DGA last week too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they don’t even have the full run of mythbusters plus almost no history channel content [I think discovery licensed that stuff separately]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

distortion park posted:

Writing is pretty workmanlike though so might watch the TV series instead unless someone says that it picks up in the later entries.

it gets worse as it goes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

they don’t even have the full run of mythbusters plus almost no history channel content [I think discovery licensed that stuff separately]

i saw last week that they're going to be "retiring" a bunch of content too. as in, put it on MAX to reel a bunch of rubes in and then cut it out next month

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

they just managed to piss off the DGA last week too

this one is extremely funny because if the DGA and SAG-AFTRA also strike then the entire visual entertainment media industry is at a standstill. you won't even be able to produce the trash you can get away with without writers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

this one is extremely funny because if the DGA and SAG-AFTRA also strike then the entire visual entertainment media industry is at a standstill. you won't even be able to produce the trash you can get away with without writers

since theres lots of crossover between roles sometimes (especially for high profile people) disney tried to take advantage by saying "you must still perform your showrunner/producer duties too" and it backfired pretty hard, so e.g. the mandalorian is now on a production pause

i don't see where the studios think they're gonna go with this either

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the studios are hoping for a strike, and that the workers will break before they do. there are a lot of people in hollywood who aren't filthy rich and for whom striking is a real hardship. it's also pretty easy to buy public opinion; i assume the studios are banking on a "the writers/directors/etc are just very greedy" narrative taking hold in the public consciousness like it does with every strike ever in the united states

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

lol WBD is such a shitshow. i don't think literally anyone is happy with them, they just managed to piss off the DGA last week too
its so funny. all the shows on the new streaming 'max' app have, instead of writers and directors and actors being credited as such, just thrown them all into a single field as 'creators' - which is in violation of all sorts of contracted agreements about exactly how credits must be presented. and it wasnt even some sort of power play from WBD, the engineers on the app had a hard deadline to launch and zero guidance as to how to merge a dozen different libraries of content with a dozen different idiosyncratic ways of structuring them so they threw them all into a single field and called it a day, and that tech decision might lead directly to strikes from the DGA and PGA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if I had to bet I'd say the writers are gonna fold. the studios knew that the writers would be the first to strike over AI and minimum contracts, and although they're the most "militant" of the Hollywood unions, due to the way they've been squeezed for the past 15 years they're also less capable of riding out a long strike

if the writers accept no streaming royalties and AI assistance now, the directors and actors will have a much weaker position to resist that stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i don't see them folding without at least a few token concessions and so far they haven't even managed that. the situation seems dire enough for writers and viewers and everyone else that i hope they don't. bad writing impacts basically every part of the production process, producers and directors don't really want to put their name on a turd either

Achmed Jones posted:

it's also pretty easy to buy public opinion; i assume the studios are banking on a "the writers/directors/etc are just very greedy" narrative taking hold in the public consciousness like it does with every strike ever in the united states

they could be, but i don't think most people would buy such an argument. since some studios are also tech majors they make an absurd amount of money

those figures would be giving writers literally everything they're asking for too, which obviously won't happen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's also not really clear that the studios are winning the narrative, c.f. david zaslav's commencement speech

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

it's also not really clear that the studios are winning the narrative, c.f. david zaslav's commencement speech

yeah, you can't really have a bunch of very visibly greedy rich people being the face of your "those drat strikers are just greedy" campaign lol

things have changed since the last time this happened. the rich are much richer and the poor are poorer and have been exploited even further. i think most people are aware of it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, you can't really have a bunch of very visibly greedy rich people being the face of your "those drat strikers are just greedy" campaign lol

things have changed since the last time this happened. the rich are much richer and the poor are poorer and have been exploited even further. i think most people are aware of it

I also think a lot of people noticed their tv shows missing from the streaming services they're paying extra for

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I also think a lot of people noticed their tv shows missing from the streaming services they're paying extra for

i'm sure people have also noticed the overall quality of production is lower now too, and if the writers are to be believed that's a direct consequence of their working conditions. i'm not sure to what extent their proposals will fix anything (because some of it is clearly just bad writing going from a bad premise) but i believe them when they say that the studios meddling in what their traditional roles are (and how long that should take) led to the decline

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lmao, found a great dunepost on tumblr summarizing the story

quote:

CHAPTER 1
“The fact that I will commit unspeakable genocide and lead a holy war across the galaxy is very bad,” said young Paul Atreides. “For me.”
“I too feel morally conflicted by my role in a ruthless eugenics program,” admitted his mother, the Lady Jessica. “Does that make me a bad mother? Who can say….”
At that moment the Duke Leto Atreides returned home from a grueling day churning out propaganda to convince his troops that he was worth dying for. His regal face was lined with deep moral complexities. “It’s tough when you’re me and everybody wants to gently caress you so so bad,” he said. “But that’s the price I must pay for the future well-being of my ancestral house.” He sighed, deep and melancholy. When was the last time he’d thrown around the old pigskin with his boy? Would he ever get the chance again…?
That’s fully-manual ascetic space feudalism for you, he thought libertarianally.
Paul looked around the room and was struck by the sudden and horrific realization that he was the smartest person to ever live, and that even his own loving mother and father could never hope to understand Time Cube.
But that’s a problem for another day, Paul decided, not for the last time.
CHAPTER 2
“It’s a beautiful day to be grossnasty, don’t you think?” said the Baron Harkonnen homosexually as he surveyed the ravaged landscape beyond the window. Acid rain pelted against the glass and melted the flesh off the shrieking peasants below.
“Sure. Whatever,” said Feyd-Rautha, not looking up from his sketchbook, upon which he had scrawled the words ‘I love killing and maiming’ in large bubble letters.
“A-h-h,” said the Baron. “That was a trick question: every day is a beautiful day for being grossnasty. You must learn this lesson well, nephew, if you ever hope to get anywhere in life. Piter, what are you doing over there with that huge and evil brain of yours?”
The mentat violated the Hays Code six times in the few seconds it took him to reply. “I’m calculating a mathematically perfect slur for orphans,” he said in a gay voice. “Just as you requested.”
“Finally! A productive use of your time,” said the Baron, and flipped him off. Without a word, he snatched the pen from Feyd-Rautha’s hand and wrote ‘and oppressing the populace’ beneath the words the youth had already written. “There,” he said. “Much better.”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm into it. Where's the rest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best spice move

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why wouldn't you post a link

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

indigi posted:

why wouldn't you post a link

oof, i had thought i had but was too busy donuttyping to actually hit paste i guess, also the original user has deactivated so here's a rando reposter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

psiox posted:

lmao, found a great dunepost on tumblr summarizing the story

this is a lot more readable than frank ever managed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
akshully the barons laughs in an evil bisexual way iirc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

its so funny. all the shows on the new streaming 'max' app have, instead of writers and directors and actors being credited as such, just thrown them all into a single field as 'creators' - which is in violation of all sorts of contracted agreements about exactly how credits must be presented. and it wasnt even some sort of power play from WBD, the engineers on the app had a hard deadline to launch and zero guidance as to how to merge a dozen different libraries of content with a dozen different idiosyncratic ways of structuring them so they threw them all into a single field and called it a day, and that tech decision might lead directly to strikes from the DGA and PGA

it was probably some dickhead product owner who decided that the kids would like it more if it said "creator" because thats their word for person who makes stuff on tiktok

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

saw the little mermaid. it was surprisingly good. i was never a huge fan of the cartoon so figured it'd just be whatever but i liked it a lot. it was better than the cartoon and looked rad. all the actors crushed it (big ups to awkwafina) and max was super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did you know that halle berry and halle bailey are completely different people?

for a few minutes i was seriously confused about why they would have a 56 year old playing an ostensible teenager, digital deaging or no