Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’m not really into cop shows but man Bosch is so good. all the actors are excellent, the writing is pretty good, the cinematography is outstanding. everything is good and I didn’t realize another season dropped back in April so I’ve been watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I tried a couple episodes when it first came out but thought "oh look yet another gritty rear end in a top hat alcoholic detective but actually he's brilliant show" and dropped it. if it manages to transcend that maybe I'll give it another shot

also I'm watching gundam unicorn and the plot is convoluted garbage but it has some of the best giant robot pew pew action I've ever seen

i admit that one of the things i like about it is that it is technically well-executed. i'm really tired of tv shows where they change camera angles literally every five seconds or less. i have a hard enough time paying attention as it is, i don't need the tv to switch it up for me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bosch is honestly one of the most deranged pieces of copaganda and one of the running subplots is dealing with Chinese spies.

My favorite season is the one where they deal with the BLM movement, and a black lawyer who is suing the department for doing another rodney king. The whole season they paint the black lawyer as an absolute piece of poo poo, he cheats on his wife frequently, neglects his son (which causes him to get into dealing drugs), and things like that. The lady who is heading the BLM movement is painted as an violent extermist despite only organizing peaceful protests the whole season, and told by the police chief that they only way they can change the system is by joining it and trying to change it from the inside. Bosch also has a whole line about how there are good cops and bad cops, and it's on the good cops to root out the bad ones.

It should be added that he lives in a huge mansion in san francisco despite being a police detective and treats his teenage daughter (who has dealt with a shitload of emotional trauma) as a stay at home wife in later seasons.

The best cop show is Justified because the whole show is supposed to show the marshals as nothing more than a bunch of goons who terrorize people, but timothy olyphant unironically believes that is a good thing for cops to do.

I’m not really defending the content since acab but I still enjoy the filming and scenery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for less coptroversial submissions I think lovecraft country is worth a watch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

justified loving rules.

bosch the tv show is ok and bosch is never presented as a house/holmes type savant. bosch is an rear end in a top hat whos just smart enough to use the system to hide his crimes. if hes better than other cops its just because he actually does the work, not because he sees the things other people dont. hes an rear end in a top hat to his co-workers because he thinks they dont work as hard as he does and hes an rear end in a top hat to people he thinks are criminals because he has mommy issues.

the hero of the show is a defense attorney who spends her days fighting abusive cops, which of course would include bosch.

this is pretty accurate.

i like justified because im from kentucky and tbh it was just nice to see a show that wasn’t (entirely) about “lol those dumb hillbillies”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

even the lesser half of the series (generally: odd numbered seasons) is so much better than so many other cop type shows it’s baffling

tbh i think my favourite character on the show is still mags bennett

I think martindale is a good actor generally though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that's literally the face i make whenever someone tells me "no you'll like this anime i swear

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

reading Ash: A Secret History but im getting pretty annoyed with the main character being incredibly horny for one of the bad guys for no apparent reason

i guess she likes to be humiliated and betrayed? i guess thats fine if shes into that but its getting tiresome

man for the most part i hate when "romance" gets shoveled into a book. i don't have anything against it as long as it's not the main plot, i guess, but mostly writers are so bad at writing them and it brings the rest of the book down

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

done with raised by wolves

that certainly was a television show

it had so much potential and ended up using none of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

supernatural needed to end like nine years ago. I’m a masochist so I watched this season. the cowards went and literally made the angel gay for dean in the final episodes to force some kind of awkward emotional moment. I found it pretty distasteful to be honest, like how terf Rowling ex post facto’d gay dumbledore

I stopped watching twd after it became argument farm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I hadn't watched new Simpsons for a few years and tuned in to see this year's TOH. man they all just sound tired

I always watch toh because I can’t not at this point but it’s true that most modern simpsons eps fail to get a laugh out of me.

I watched family guy for the first time in a while the other week and it was just a half hour of jokes about what losing a child does to your relationship and I honestly don’t get finding any of it funny

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

American Dad is worse than Friends

f🔴r🟡i🔵e🔴n🟡d🔵s has zero redeeming qualities and its ongoing popularity mystifies me

american dad is pretty watchable for the most part though it’s hit and miss for me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

more twilight for men

while that’s obviously hot garbage i never understood the appeal of so many - or any, for that matter - pop culture references. theyre boring, lazy writing, sure, but i always find that they instantly take me out of the book

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was thinking about starting Gideon the Ninth next, space necromancer swordfighting sounds fun

i just read that, not bad tbh, not like, high lit or whatever, but fun read

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just finished Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

extremely good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

one of the things i really like twitter for is following book people and authors and getting recommendations. i've been really enjoying Rebecca Roanhorses stuff. she has a modern/urbanish fantasy series about a post-apocalyptical world set in the navajo reservation (which escaped in many ways unscathed).

she's also got a new one out called black sun, which takes place in a fantasy realm based on pre-columbian mesoamerica. i've not gotten very far into it yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

yo mediaphage id never heard of Rebecca roanhorse but that sounds right up my alley, thanks for the rec!

yw! she’s very readable.

have you guys read vita nostra? only the first has been translated from the ukrainian. extremely good take on the idea of magic, apprentices, and training (which is not a great description, but it’s the best i got). also enjoyed max barry’s lexicon not too long ago, which might be chrarcterized as a similar genre, if magic were limited to channeling influence.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i just bought a wizard of earthsea and futurology

gonna do some reading over thanksgiving

earthsea such a classic. one of the first real series i read in elementary school

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I tried to read a piers anthony book and ended up throwing it across the room

i read a bunch of them as a kid

i picked one up when i was older and found a plot about a 50 year dude wanting to have sex with a 16 year old and stopped and threw them all out

Achmed Jones posted:

and, like, if you can't not write the sex scene, at least

you know

don't use the word "impaled"

gently caress you william gibson, gently caress you larry niven

also not allowed: “turgid member”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

alexandriao posted:

To the writer:

........ never NEVER use "ham" in the context of talking about a vagina

no!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!

that's because the proper metaphor is obviously roast beef. specifically, curtains thereof.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like comic books like any middle-aged manchild but tbqh i'm pretty sick of superhero movies (yes i know there are non-superhero comics and poo poo save your bits)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

it was a good show

every ep of better off ted is great. they did an outtakes clip of the time where the memo is accidentally written that employees must now insult each other with some truly filthy quips. i dunno how well it’s aged tho since i haven’t watched it forever but that ones on youtube.

also i always liked the veridian dynamics commercials.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

iirc they had an ep where the building’s smart sensors couldn’t see the black lab tech. it probably holds up well

the commercials were all pretty great yeah

yeah i was thinking of that as i wrote the post. trying to remember if it was before or after hp shipped webcams that couldn’t see black people because they didn’t have any black engineers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i liked it but it wasn't surprising in any way? which is fine, entertainment doesn't need to be full of twists, but it felt very of a type and not anything new.

with that said i bet writing it was kind of a bitch in terms of planning all the car poo poo and stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shoeberto posted:

The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop, everything else is TRASH i assume

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh nice, B5 is getting a remaster rerelease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HS5K3MdMY

not sure if it's from a better source, an AI upscale or a combination of the two, but a lot of the shots here have far more detail. Some of the skin tones are a bit warm, but I'll take it. Hopefully it's 4:3 and not cropped 16:9, and if I'm really wishing the CG could be redone in proper-res with a bit of effort.

been a while since I last watched it, this might give me some impetus.

i don't think itunes would sell an AI upscale, though i could be wrong. this was originally shot on widescreen 35mm, the issue as you note is the CG which was rendered at 720x480. some of those shots, especially anything showing an instrument panel is like night and goddamned day, it's nuts. no way that's an AI upscale at this point in time imo. some of them go from unrecognizable blurs to clear, sharp lines. what would be neat is if they machine upscaled the CGI, maybe (vs a proper rerender and/or edit); surely some combination would be cheaper than the TNG effort?

i wonder whether they rescanned film or used one of the film transfer produced for 4:3. either way i might finally watch more than a few episodes.

in re anime chat, i pretty much can't stand the majority of series i've seen but some of the movies have been watchable. i liked some of the ghibli stuff. spirited away was nice, princess mononoke was ok, had an interesting conversation with neil gaiman about how the studio hosed all over the translated screenplay he came up with apparently.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol i mean the rules thread bans all general video game discussion even so i think prior posting is not indicative of future performance here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao there’s a matrix four?? what??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

kind of looking forward to it, the trilogy gets too much poo poo by far, and while they only have one wachowski sister that is enough to make me cautiously optimistic.

2 and 3 were kind of eh ok for me, i think they get poo poo on because 1 was so great. and if it's cool to hate on that, idc i watched it so many times in college that i can probably still recite it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

really curious what keanu reeves and carrie anne moss will be doing in that movie since both of their characters died in part 3 (spoiler alert)

3 options imo:

flashbacks (possible)
agents pretending (less likely)
existant as raw energy and programming within the matrix (this seems like it might be right up their alley but who knows)

theoretically i guess the robots could just reboot them but eh that seems lazy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

option 4: clones (backups)

i thought about clones but it didn't seem matrixy enough tbh

i kind of hope its not clones

i kind of like the arnie clone movie

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i saw fight club with my dad and bro and well let's just say my dad has a good credit score and was not pleased

i mean he was right about people liking that movie too much the way people like rick and morty and breaking bad

good inspiration to start making my own soaps tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

please just don't use an EMP device to erase VHS tapes

that's an essential part of our culture

i got u fam

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Jupiter Ascending deserved a sequel more than Matrix deserves a 4th.

poo poo, Speed Racer deserved a sequel more than Matrix deserves a 4th.

i actually quite liked jupiter ascending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

then I'll usually start thinking about how Twin Peaks was a good show and how maybe I'd like a slice of pie or maybe just a sandwich

maybe just a drat fine cup of coffee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

FACT: rotor irl is like the Dave Foley character in Kids in the Hall in that i have a cup of coffee in my hands at all times, day or night.

i literally just finished a big mug as i sit here with a bird waiting for bird bedtime

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

I really enjoyed russian doll and taika waititi's work, shame they've been devoured by the mouse

russian doll was outstanding

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like the idea of a new indy, whether still set back then or in modern day. you could make it with modern sensibilities by having the character defend people/place/thing from theft / encroachment / whatever.

but at that point you could probably just start a whole franchise with a cool character that doesn't have any of that baggage. also maybe not with a white saviour again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also didn’t know about the foot thing but i am becoming increasingly less of a fan of any of his stuff so i don’t expect this to bother me too much

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I’d suspect that almost everyone in Django had feet, otherwise they would find the American South/West a very difficult environment to navigate (disability access being, on the whole, a fairly low design priority during the time period portrayed)?

E: although, I’ll bet the (relative) survivability of amputation in the American Civil War vis-à-vis previous wars probably meant more demand for disability access, cf. post-WW1 German experience, although I’m sure other polities experienced similar?)

you could just get a trained baboon to help out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

remember when that dude is angry at zuckerberg in “the social network” and he slams his computer down

that was sick: love seeing computers trashed

i accidentally shut my dell jet plane laptop too hard back in the day and it killed the spinning hard drive (100gb, so big!)

fortunately dell was lenient enough to just overnight me a new hard drive at the time gratis