Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also yeah the audiobook for dune is good and so are the next few. i stopped after the initial trilogy and suggest you do the same or sooner

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beamed posted:

children of dune didnt quite do it for me. it's when the endless Duncan Idaho begins and why does anyone care about him

it felt weaker than dune and dune messiah. was that the one with the most monologues/internal monologues? i felt like once that started creeping in it felt like it dragged more

the old thread adage that 'its never too soon to stop reading the dune novels' is true. i suppose the first three make a decent story arc, but it gets too goofy when leto II does the worm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

last time i re-read the dune books i actually found i liked god-emperor more than children of dune.

maybe i should give it a go. the audiobooks are also decent and im at a dearth of science fiction in my audio list right now

i tried starting yiddish policemens union (had snagged it a year ago) but it seems either too hard boiled for me or, as discussed in the earlier thread, too much like the culture is not written from a place of authenticity. im not a noir reader normally and also am out of my element here. i would probably be better served going with some classics

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

consider phlebas perhaps as an anthology adaptation would be the most viable for general appeal, but thats not really the culture material i want to see happen. pretty sure in a few years player of games could work as some sort of esports political intrigue show

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Corla Plankun posted:

i think you are right but both of those shows sound horrible

i think the main thing that i like about banks's writing is the way he makes it easy to imagine things that could not possibly exist or be coherently rendered by any reality-adjacent rendering engine; Lededje's infinitely intricate skin is fascinating and easy to imagine but there is absolutely no way to ever actually put it on a screen, same with Azad and the assassin cloud and probably hundreds of other extremely memorable scenes

oh, yeah, those would not be particularly great shows for several reasons and you nail it that imagery is a big one. banks could capture the imagination and i dont know if a show for a steaming service could match that even if it was done competently. just the scale and set piece shifts in those two would be a lot for a single show and capturing the detail right would either be lost or ruined in the process

qirex posted:

nobody seems to have a midlife crisis on star trek or is it because human lifespan is so much longer that the whole "become an insufferable ambassador and travel the galaxy annoying young people" is the equivalent?

its all midlife hubris when they turn 100 and try to create super humans or brashness when theyre 20 and get stabbed in the heart in a bar brawl

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

becoming old in star trek means you become mark twain and harass androids

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

anyone have that gif of picard's face on troi's body? asking for a friend.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

while im think about riker and troi

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

true blood werepanther season sounding accurate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

theaters with 6 ft spacing enforced by gom jabbar

stillsuit required for full viewer safety

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

its so fuckin bad

i mean everyone has their fandom but its like if season 3 tos became a franchise now

what if spocks brain but its in a watch

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for the record ive not seen much old who so i presume it was more low budget bbc fun intentionally or otherwise

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

I noped out of torchwood when the main dude and main lady were hiding from a monster and she said "i can feel your hard on"

that joke worked better in jack of all trades but thats purely because that show knew the jokes were corny

Shaggar posted:

torchwood is dr who x 10. its really bad.

torchwood is dr why

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tom baker goes to 11 in a fun way and the grimdark new seasons miss a lot of that goofy energy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they missed a real opportunity to use the original book name all you need is kill

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

the cannibal island religion bits in consider phlebas always seemed a bit off for a culture-aligned orbital

also a big part of why I don’t recommend it as a first culture book

the first three books in reverse published order are how i started and id likely recommend them that way. it makes the outside view of the culture in the first make more sense and player of games more cerebral as a counter to the end of use of weapons

qirex posted:

anyway most scifi authors suck at religion, the ancillary/radtch books probably get it close where there's a strict set of cultural norms but nearly everyone breaks them in small ways, continuously

putting it that way, the books do hit close to the mark

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ep 2 has been good so far. theres a lot of directions it could go in and i def look forward to them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah, I'm like 10 minutes into episode 2 and the costumes and sets etc are super good

that medic android they carry along is really well done, and im digging the armor being somewhat regressive. a bit prelude to 40k vibe

now that more cgi is accessible and becoming convincing, it sort of gives low budget a leg up to cut costs with fakes for otherwise difficult or messy practical effects. i mean it still can look somewhat unconvincing but i agree they get a pass

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Stymie is the mind-killer. Stymie is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face stymie. I will permit their posts to pass over me and through me. And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see the thread. Where stymie has gone there will be nothing. Only my posts will remain.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the brown eye of sauron

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

soundtrack composed by gandalf's fist

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kindle and audible have had low key badges and stuff for about two years hidden in some subtab of a submenu, im guessing some intern project that nobody cares about until now

like apparently I had a great 36 week streak in 2018, but it doesnt check both platforms so it says i read a few books this year in one and well over a dozen in the other

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

It’s scifi written by people who don’t have the patience to crack a science book.

its flipper: the next generation

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

The worst part about seaQuest is that I WANT it to be good, but it isn’t.

This episode is about a group of terrirists who are genetically engineered soldiers who want basic human rights so they take control of the ronald reagan memorial orbital laser platform and use it to blow up the atmospheric oxygen regeneration stations that were put in place after the great rainforest clearcutting of 2014. Not only that, the terrorists WIN.

That plot could be *amazing* but literally every part of the execution beyond that basic plot outline is complete garbage.

this is like the finale of enterprise but worse. amazing. i think i blanked the whole show out aside from the twist season 3 as a form of self preservation

infernal machines posted:

oh, fair.

it's good mst3k-esque get sloshed and yell at the screen with friends fodder. and trust me, it gets weirder into season 3

ooo thats the right way to enjoy it honestly. it was goofy fun at times

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i like some though so i'm guilty (the orville was good and i hope they make more)

it was a fine tng-like considering post tng is ds9 but also voyager and enterprise

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Uptime Sinclair posted:

got it for xmas and i keep meaning to start, thanks for the reminder

same and same. i shamefully moved it to the shelf and it faded away in the queue

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the gimmick that keeps on working

https://mobile.twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1314072753549475843

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im just so tired of all these star treks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh good ng+: the book

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

earnest decline

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm about halfwya through season 3 and the best characters are the borg and deanna troi's mom

heck yeah those ones are fun

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just realised I've never heard Sacha baron cohens real voice until now

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Uptime Sinclair posted:

the first rule of kompromat is to make sure your kompromat is not recorded and distributed as part of a major motion picture

/
v:smugdon:v

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 23, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we watched the new borat today and its good but his daughter really sells the film. the rudy scene was gross and lol and the cpac interruption was unexpected because it somehow went under my radar as far and weird poo poo happening goes

the way the story worked the pandemic into the plot was loving clever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

I was annoyed at first because I hate tom cruise....but then i realized that this is the PERFECT tom cruise movie if you loving hate tom cruise lmao

lol literally how i told a coworker to pitch watching it with their spouse because they hate cruise too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i heard the actor playing his daughter just sold the poo poo out of it

---

btw we're post gender and not using the word 'actress' any more right? i know this is a dumb question but i like the new way

yeah i think so, if not im good with it becoming normal. it can go the way of comedienne and fall out of use

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i live slacked my watch of it and on the last night when i did the last two episodes people just spammed CONGRATULATIONS to me in chat, and i was like "haha ok" and then the end scene happened and i was like YOU MOTHERFUCKERs

lol dang that kinda awesome

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

is dexter a precursor to relationship failure can confirm: yes

also can confirm that my life is filled with better shows now; turns out standards matter in more than tv show choices v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

the underlying message is that if you have trouble making friends and are good at video games and solving kings quest graphic adventure puzzles then its because you are a genius and are probably the reincarnation of sun tzu and the eventual savior of the human race (much like that other picked-upon fellow, jesus christ)

not hard to see how it picked up the audience that it did

did ernest cline do anything original lol