Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pseudorandom name posted:

speaking of ron moore, for all mankind is exquisitely watchable trash

just total garbage I'm shoving into my brain as rapidly as possible

(its an alt-history where the IRA successfully executed margaret thatcher. and some other differences.)

I love it so much but still haven't gotten around to watching season 3

the season 2 finale though, it was like the last 30 seconds of overtime and both teams have pulled their goalies and everyone in the arena is standing up because oh poo poo how is this going to end, but for an hour. just incredible tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

so uh is this one set before or after crystal skull

it looks like before because there's nazis instead of communists but also Harrison Ford is a lot older so

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Truman Peyote posted:

despite my earlier comment i actually like kid a but nothing since then really does it for me. ok computer really is the peak imo. that said i don't listen to either album very often

yeah same/agreed. back in the day i bought amnesiac because jeez i liked the bends and ok computer and kid a, but i think i listened to it once and then never again.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i was mad enough about that that i stopped listening to radiohead for a long time. i was a broke college student and buying a new album on release day was kind of a big deal lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I never read any 'American Classic' hard-boiled / noir detective fiction before, but I'm about a third through Hammett's RED HARVEST and it's a hoot - I love the straight, sparse no-nonsense text peppered with 1920's slang and the wry, cool-headed detective shaking down Poisontown. Rare a book makes me go Oh drat IRL and this has dropped it on my several times already.

just put this on my kindle, looks good from the first bit I read.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i watched the lotr extended versions a couple weeks ago and it took me six nights to get through them

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

FalseNegative posted:

Yea I couldn't make it past the first half of S5. Maybe one day. I just googled the ending, and I'm glad that Bester gets what he deserves.

the telepath poo poo sucks but the rest of s5, esp the back half is really really good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Achmed Jones posted:

lol so if you skip the beginning and the end, it's totally worth watching honest

i want to like babylon 5 but everyone who recommends it has so many caveats that it makes me think it's not actually worth watching unless you have Powerful Nostalgia. unlike ds9, which is cool and good even at its nadir

it's a 90s show with 22 episodes per season, it has the same caveats as such as TNG, SG1, DS9 - there are some episodes that aren't great, might be more filler, or clip shows or whatever. people love it for good reason but then people who've only heard that people like it have this expectation that it's just absolutely incredibly amazing from the start and, well, it's a 90s show with 22 episodes per season.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

mystes posted:

I don't understand why people are watching it but I enjoy hearing everyone complain about it

same

Shaggar posted:

yeah stop watching that poo poo. The only people who should be watching nutrek are mike and rich and jay (by force) because they deserve to suffer.

the rest of you loving stop and cancel your cbs+ or whatever the gently caress it is.

agreed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i wish i hadn't watched picard season one but man at least i didn't watch 2 or 3. what the gently caress y'all

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i've only seen the mission impossible movie where they spent basically the entire time pulling off rubber masks to reveal they're actually someone else

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i think there was a motorcycle chase too

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

mystes posted:

you all realize the joke was supposed to be that basically all the movies have those two things, right?

lol i wasn't really trying to make a joke, literally all i remember is everyone pullin' off masks and a motorcycle chase that ended outside a concrete bunker

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao drat you dur

does that happen in all of them???

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the episode with the black hole was kinda neat

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the episodes with rainn wilson as harvey mudd were pretty ok, the rest was kinda poo poo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

return is the jedi is great and features the best space battle ever made

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i like that one episode in season 2 with the planet of old earth humans. the overarching storyline in s2 was terrible though, i gave up on the show after the cyborg lady died

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

but you know it actually comes in handy. a little kids pain blows up all of the existing dilithium everywhere, simultaneously, so warp becomes basically impossible for everyone else

sorry, what???

what about romulan ships that get their power from a singularity, can't they still do a warp

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

sorry who

this is a prequel to tos, they have no idea who the romulans are

but surely the vulcans knew about the romulans

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

that doesn't tell you anything the first couple minutes of the third season opener will not, its not really a spoiler

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Burn on the other hand is absolutely chock full of spoilers (don't read it jonny)

wait a minute this says it happened in the mid30th century, they knew about the romulans then, wtf

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

they use their fancy spore drive to travel to the future so they can escape a crazy ai thats trying to steal their data

yes yes of course that makes perfect sense and all but in the 30th c all the history of things since the 23rd century happened and that includes romulan warbirds with black hole power soooooo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

" the ship crashed on Theta Zeta, a planet composed of dilithium, at the center of the nebula."

lmao gently caress off

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's like poetry, it rhymes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

one of the few things I liked about the jj trek movies was that the view screen was a big ol window

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

the canonical explanation for that is that lorca was from the evil universe, so actually, they're all bad men. checkmate :smuggo:

because of course it is

it’s a stupid explanation because one of the non mirror universe characters went to elon musk high school

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i was finally watching mike and rich talk trek about picard season 2 because that's the only way i'll consume picard and discovery now and when they brought up gary seven in picard? lol. lmao.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

"hey remember this cool thing?

yeah and like the shiny new ship is a refit constitution saucer?

and it has the old style phaser nubs, and the new style phaser banks??? oh and they cut the back off and

it's just all so stupid

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

mystes posted:

Well you're all apparently watching it anyway

yeah i watched season 1 but i'm only watching the mike and rich recaps for the rest because them talking about star trek is one of my favorite things

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i really liked strange new worlds

lower decks is great too

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Achmed Jones posted:

strange new worlds is good. it would be better with no spock though (i am so sick of spock, he's the skywalker of star trek)

yeah. it does at least make sense in SNW because he always was on the enterprise under pike. but putting him in discovery, and also he's the half brother of the main character and

it's just all so stupid

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

guys i am begging you: discuss at least one other show

absolutely not

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i like talking about star trek even more than i like watching it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

indigi posted:

join me in watching The Knick for the first time. I just started season 2 it's good

hey i started watching that recently too. i'm about halfway through season 1 and yeah it's pretty good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

The Fool posted:

it got canceled because disney is a bunch of fucks

they did this to the mysterious Benedict society too and I’m going to be mad about that one for ages

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

lower decks does new ship new characters new planets and it's a top tier trek, so it can be done

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

e: avatar 2 the effects work breakdown here is super interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Gd0bR2kb4

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

indigi posted:

this is cool but I really hate the one on the left

lol yeah he's a little much

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

still watching the expanse. why did they build a replica of the transamerica pyramid in new york city? :confused:

maybe it's not a replica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PokeJoe posted:

dur do u still have the kitty tank?

no it got thoroughly destroyed several yers ago. we have a couple target cat houses now.

also a witch hat house, and a tv house.