Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MacPac posted:

The fellas making a animation short based on the Blindsight novel by Peter Watts just dropped the finished product after 4 years:
https://vimeo.com/467342474

https://blindsight.space/
this is cool but it's more of a trailer of a movie that was never made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

hit me. there’s too much fantasy for me to pick. I recently really liked the Raven Tower
read unsouled if you haven't already and also red sister

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the time skips really reduced my enjoyment of the witcher as well, i get what they were trying to do but it was just really unnecessarily confusing. find a different storytelling device

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
all the story beats in the hobbit are off because it was designed for 2 movies and then stretched into 3 so they had to make it work somehow

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

reading narnia to my son and I discovered that all the new publishing runs have magicians nephew as the first book
only a few decades until the dune series starts with brian/kevin's books

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
my favorite part of that movie is where the one dude keeps collecting titles because no one wants to take responsibility

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
maybe people crave being connected to a wider culture because american capitalism strips community and belonging from people to better exploit them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah appropriation isn't cool, im just saying i think that's whats driving a lot of it since most of our cultural options are deeply sad and steeped in irony (MLK jr, columbus, thanksgiving)

plus we really fuckin love an excuse to drink, any excuse

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

german themed amusement parks are not especially popular
h3vr sold a lot of copies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMwK9GAOV8

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the bo burnham special on netflix is good. the "white woman on instagram" song is loving hilarious
its brutal

to put it in a little context the final screen is a number for the suicide hotline

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

man, "nobody" was great. had to look up the credits: directed by the guy who did "hardcore henry" and written by the guy who did "john wick". no wonder they got the tone exactly right. some great moments I was lol for real
this movie was bad, op

if it had an ounce of self-awareness it could have been a good movie but instead it just whiplashes between tepid slighty-off absurd moments and homages to toxic masculinity and emasculation. it could have been a really cool movie juxtaposing those who are secretly hoping for any excuse to do violence with someone who actually lived (and is missing that life, unlike wick), exploring the long-term real consequences of the idealized "masculine action hero" that some people think they could transform into but instead it just leaned into every lovely action trope from the last decade without any irony or introspection at all

the fight scenes were over the top and it just really felt like a b-movie copy of better movies because it completely missed the emotional subtext that made those movies great. bob odenkirk stretched a little with some of the scenes about aching to go back to the only thing he ever enjoyed but fell flat because the director/editor/writers/whatever couldn't nail the followthrough

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 5, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
there's a lot of subtle touches that people don't notice because it requires esoteric knowledge or specific inside jokes

like the song "look who's inside again" chord progression is D-E-A-D and the bit with the microphone cord and the camera stand falling was taken directly out of one of his standup acts where he knocks over a water bottle and then stops and explains even accidents are performative and staged in advance which a really meta joke on the whole show itself which is shot to look like a youtube channel ep using spontaneity and authenticity to build rapport when the whole thing is really a scripted performance on a netflix produced show and he's performing a bit

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 12, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a perfectly smooth movie for a perfectly smooth brain

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
can't stop won't stop (wearing a mask)

where's my dune stillsuit mask cover?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the documentary was a great movie

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
baru is good so maybe one then the other

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Malazan had some cool ideas, like from what I remember the magic in the world is all opening up portals to "warrens" or demiplanes of pure aspect like fire or air or whatever, and then you find out there's more esoteric ones like healing, and then you follow the story through the royal line who carved out an empire based on their ability to connect and travel through their warren which is presented as an ash wasteland tasting slightly of metal, and as they travel they come across some bone shards and it's revealed later that it's not a pure plane but the ruins of a civilization that once lived there and instead of creating it they really just sort of stumbled on it and claimed it, and it's clear things still reside there because there are huge slither trails and people disappear every once in a while...

Or the sword that emanates wailing of souls and creaking of wheels when drawn, and when someone is killed the soul is chained to and forced to pull a huge wooden wagon that's slowly being kept ahead of an encroaching tide of dissolution and chaos, containing an original piece of an aspect of the world (or a portal to it?) which is teased and sort of threaded through a bunch of the books.

It's a shame the story's disjointed and the way the ideas are presented isn't that great. A lot of people like the bridgeburners storyline and I hardly remember most of the plot but there are a couple of really well written scenes and reveals - imo not worth reading the whole thing for, but still cool.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 20, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

as god is my witness...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

it's not great, it's a neat idea (cribbed from heavy metal) that's executed okay, but not particularly well. there are bits and pieces that are cool but overall it's a bit disappointing, especially if your memories of it are from seeing it as a teen when it came out.

im hoping dark city isn't this because i've been wanting to see it again and it's been more than a decade

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

bad news about dark city: i really like the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING
oh i saw that movie, i think you're thinking of sunshine

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
saw matrix 4 and that was a boring, a disjointed movie that didn't need to be made and when it WAS made it should have had a better editor to cut it up into something worth watching

shame because matrix 1 had such an impact on me when it first came out, what a wet fart end to a series that should have been a single standalone movie

i don't ever want to see a movie that has endless clips from previous movies again

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the bodies hitting concrete was pretty gruesome and visceral at least

unfortunately it gave tonal whiplash

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
fun fact about gene wolfe, he invented the pringles machine you know the machine that extrudes pringles

and the guy who invented the can is buried in one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i'm not watching any "bat man" that doesn't run down the street holding a cartoon bomb above his head and then throw it in the bay to diffuse it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the casual existence of robot motorcycle packs killing people with katanas while cool seems wildly implausible in 2022 even excepting all the other cyberpunk style poo poo. or maybe that stuff's in the sequel since it's the story's really a two book series? It's been a long time since I've read them

I still think AR is eventually going to go in the direction the book supposed, where you've got various info channels you can tune into via glasses and you just subscribe/enable them to get overlays like switching tv channels

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
blood music was fantastic and probably my favorite book of his

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I haven’t read the book in a while but I think it all had to do with old rules of engagement agreed on by the big corps when they went in there. it was a very cold war sort of thing where they weren’t allowed to war crime in the open because it causes escalation that no one really wants. Remember that this is somewhat of a sideshow against the backdrop of the larger universe (more in the sequel) where the corps all have to tip toe around each other and bodies lead to uncomfortable questions and lack of deniability

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
just lie and betray actors, tell them you’ll drop them on the count of three and drop them on one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that “troops” cops tv show spoof from 20 years ago could use a reprisal, remember that? where they shoot the running suspect in the back

simpler times

e:beaten like a jawa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
jodorosky’s jesus with the same development process (he never read dune, said it ruin his creative vision)