Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

https://twitter.com/fartron/status/1306237264834551814?s=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

the zoidberg planet national anthem being the kirk/spock fight music is a nice touch

just watch up to the opera, which is a really nice and sweet ending for the series.

all the other stuff is bonus features

yeah anything after “the devils hands” should be viewed as dvd extras.

some of it is good, but that’s the “real” ending

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

also i will never not laugh at whalers on the moon

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

https://twitter.com/comicbook/status/1313492127490494464?s=21

would you care for a spot of tea-baggins while you’re “under my hill”??

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

but the dwarves delved too greedily and too deep, they spent days washing the poop out of their sheets after it was all over

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Battle of Balls Deep

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fanghorny forrest

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

made it to season 2 of seaQuest - it’s really bad.

A plot element in this episode is “we’ve been polluting the universe with radio waves for 100 years and suddenly seaQuest is acting like a giant antenna” picking them all up at once.

It’s scifi written by people who don’t have the patience to crack a science book.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

in my dim 90s memory seaQuest was “star trek in the ocean” and it would be a silly but watchable complement to all of the star treks i have watched up to this point during the pandemic. well i have made it all the way thru TOS -> TNG -> DS9 -> voyager and now bakula trek, the most shameful trek (until star trek discovery, arguably)

bakula trek looks like genius level writing compared to seaQuest

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The worst part about seaQuest is that I WANT it to be good, but it isn’t.

This episode is about a group of terrirists who are genetically engineered soldiers who want basic human rights so they take control of the ronald reagan memorial orbital laser platform and use it to blow up the atmospheric oxygen regeneration stations that were put in place after the great rainforest clearcutting of 2014. Not only that, the terrorists WIN.

That plot could be *amazing* but literally every part of the execution beyond that basic plot outline is complete garbage.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

i feel like i may have mislead you. it doesn't actually get better than this. if you're not enjoying it at this point, you probably won't enjoy the rest of it either.

lol no, i am enjoying it, but for me the enjoyment is in complaining about it after i watch it, and getting my poor girlfriend to watch it with me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

they find the crashed alien ship in the 2nd to last ep of s1. that was some silly poo poo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

based on everything said here i popped 2x benzodiazepine for seaquest s2 e3 where the aliens come back to earth and its goddamn amazing now.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

seaQuest: still bad but can’t stop watchin’

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

actually 30 rock had the best final season and finale, and will forever.

rewatching 30 rock this year and i gotta say it got so many things right that were just waiting to blow up 5-10 years after the snow ended.

bill cosby and harvey weinstein are the most obvious, but it’s kinda amazing how culturally relevant the show still is, for being a pretty topical show at the time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sopranos is good and hilarious.

thinking back to people not getting it and wanting to be tony soprano is super funny and adds to the enjoyment of watching it again

its like mad men in that some people really get caught up in the aesthetics, the veneer of glamour, and not realize that the people are all terrible and/or horrible failures.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oh drat people watch that poo poo?

30 rock is very silly but it has so many jokes per minute that if like 1 in 5 jokes land it’s still pretty funny.

it’s definitely not a serious show, though. the main fun is watching alec baldwin play a bush era republican

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm not watching that nbc cbs sitcom poo poo

it’s a good show. it’s a little too earnest for 2020 but i still think the idea of president bush nicknaming someone “cooter burger” is funny so judge me if you want.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lol anime

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

do you even have to ask that, look at british indian food etc

chicken tikka masala is really good tho. this is an objective fact.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm about halfwya through season 3 and the best characters are the borg and deanna troi's mom

trois mom is definitely the best character. she’s the most horny and therefore the most star trek of all of them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

don't bother with space truckers

space truckers is good for the square pig joke and that’s mostly it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

it's always hilarious to me that one of the arch villains of the whole franchise is a horny cougar

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

starfleet can not handle “chaotic horny”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

the real kink is cosplaying victorian era prudes

i organize all these little victorian vases on little victorian stands and there’s no TIME to gently caress aaaahhhhhhhhghhghhg

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dont forget gimli son of gloin and gloin father of gimli son of gloin.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this looks v 1970s

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mystes posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Project Hail Mary (by the guy who wrote The Martian) and they just pronounced multimeter mul-timeter (like altimeter) rather than multi-meter.

that’s how it is pronounced

you don’t say “THERM oh meter” it’s “therm AH meter”

same for speedometer, odometer, pedometer, etc.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

in the final scene as spacey walks out of the courtroom - after testifying and putting the bad guy away forever - the judge realizes that he was Moleyster Söze all along. in shock he drops his gavel on the ground, shattering it. he reflects that he should not have bought a ceramic gavel.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PCjr sidecar posted:

netflix marvel always had five eps of plot in a ten ep season

this is what i called the ~2005 bsg reboot. 15 minutes of plot crammed into a 45 minute show.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i re watched the first few seasons of sg-1 and remembering that it was a showtime show with full frontal nudity in season 1 is lmao as hell

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i just watched the ds9 doc “what we left behind” on the recs from this thread and it was really very good. if you like the star trek you should watch it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

hell yeah! how'd that minute of marc alaimo cringe hit you lol

it was worth it for the funny when nana visitor said “anyone but Marc Alaimo” instead of “anyone but Gul Dukat”

and then realizing “… hey, she’s sitting as far away from him as she possibly can during this interview” 🤔

really threw him under the bus with the editing there

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

and as far as ds9 itself actually goes, we made it through all the treks from kirk to bakula during the pandemic and while I really liked tng when I was a kid and it was on, it doesn’t hold up as well as ds9 these days. it’s still good but when you can watch stuff all at once the serialization of ds9 makes a big difference in terms of the character arcs and the overall plot.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

yeah season 1 of ds9, like most serialized shows, is mostly about setting up a larger political environment for the bigger conflicts later. agreed with johnny that season 3 is where it gets good. enough time to have characters that you now care about getting into poo poo that’s over their head.

watching the shameful nerd show babylon 5 right now and while it’s also a space station that ends up as a hub of a huge space war it’s very different, but they both get pretty good amd have actual important stuff happening by season 3

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

babylon 5 is fun because of all the main cast members who you can recognize in minor uncredited tng/ds9/voyager appearances.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

like, the lost in space kid who is there when nog loses a leg in ds9

and

was crusher’s stunt tng stunt double and is in like every trek iteration

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

indigi posted:

lol Star Trek fans always say stuff like this

i mean, isn’t this the case for many tv shows? characters all acting correctly for their motivations and personality and all the production kinks being ironed out. especially 20+ episodes a season 90s tv shows

less so with modern prestige tv where you spend the budget on 8 episodes, and maybe with comedies

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

the thing about these old syndicated shows is there weren't a lot of choices on when they were airing, and they've been replayed for going on 30 years.

with tng at least you can just drop in and watch an episode from wherever, same with TOS and probably voyager. there's no need to "invest" time in watching episodes you don't like because there's absolutely no payoff to doing so and it won't affect your understanding of anything that happens in any other episode

yeah there is an awkward teen phase to serialized tv in the 90s for sure where it’s half episodic and half serial plot.

but for most of these that are pre-dvr I just never watched them on broadcast tv because making sure you’re there for a certain time each week just isn’t worth it when that week might not address the actual plot and the monster of the week stuff can really be hit or miss. and i have never watched syndicated reruns of any of them for the same reason.

over the last year when you can stream them all and everyone’s been been working from home and not able to see many friends, though? there’s plenty of time to put them all on in the intended order back to back, even if it’s during the work day and i am only half paying attention. the filler just kinda melts into the background while i am doing work or laundry or cooking or whatever and i can pay attention during the good parts. 🤷🏼‍♂️

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Achmed Jones posted:

watching the sex ghost tng ep right now btw lol

tng is still the horniest trek iteration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted: