Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
chapter house goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what do you call whatever jean-luc is going through in picard

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you could probably rile up dr. who nerds by telling them that the best episodes are the ones they'll never be able to watch, because the bbc recorded other stuff over the master tapes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every other week is too long.

The whole point of having a regular release cadence is to build habits - "every Thursday at 9, we sit down and watch the new episode of the show that just came out". If you only do it some Thursdays and not others then what's the point?

It's the desperation move you do when you don't actually have enough content in the pipe and need to stretch out what you do have so it's not as obvious.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what do have against taiwanese films

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i enjoy the auralnauts parody star wars prequels

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the story made no sense, the action scenes were laughable, never any real stakes or pathos

perfect mindless action flick imo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
young will smith going all bmx bandit (but with a motorcycle) on old will smith was funny as gently caress

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
and then the writer gets hit by a speeding vehicle

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I saw a trailer for that and one of the characters introduced themselves as "hey I'm Stormfront" so I'm not entirely sure they got rid of all the edgy racism

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i feel like cheap, instant transportation would lead to a radically different world than anything we could expect

sure, some scifi authors have played around with the idea, but authors of the past also played around with the idea of ubiquitous instant communication, yet the world we actually live in is still rather alien to them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ol qwerty bastard posted:

oh cool we're to the point again in the sci-fi thread where no matter what someone wants to talk about, someone else immediately comes in to say it sucks

fun while it lasted i guess, see y'all in the next one

they only say that about the bad sci fi

most sci fi is bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Fingerprints!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's subtitled anime so not good for just throwing on in the background, you do need to be paying attention to it to understand what's going on

the old series is good but very long. it doesn't feel like it gets caught up in wheel-spinning filler, though. the new series is much shorter and still hits the major plot elements, but sometimes feels like it was made for people that already watched the old one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i reckon they could have made a bitchin' duology out of it

the fact that it ended up as a trilogy with far too much inane filler smacks of studio meddling

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
fischer random is better than vanilla chess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the dragonball z of sports shows

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
someone should tell sci fi authors to go jerk off before writing instead of churning out some excruciating scenes while horned up

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why would they bother assaulting the death star with a fleet of small fighters, losing many fighters and skilled pilots in the process, when they could have accomplished the same thing at the cost of one small ship and one obsolete piloting droid

why would you build a death star in the first place instead of just a hyperdrive factory where you build drives and install them on asteroids

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also maybe relative mass in hyperspace is also an issue. they had to build the death start to explode a planet, presumably navigational errors at relativistic speeds aren't exploding planets and moons all over the place

this was always my understanding - big gravity wells mess up hyperdrives, which is why e.g. the transports needed to take off and fly away from Hoth before entering hyperspace. it makes sense that they're affected by gravity wells because whenever you drop out of hyperspace, you've approximately matched speed with whatever the most massive object in the vicinity is.

also if you accept the expanded universe take that making the kessel run in the shortest possible distance is an awe-inspiring feat that really happened (instead of just a seasoned spacer bamboozling a naive farm boy), cutting your corners as close as possible to a bunch of black holes without actually dropping out into one is a pretty daring thing to do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
book dune they're super duper mentats, huffing spice gives them enough brain to look at the data and figure out a safe way to go from a to b. the actual space folding isn't what they do, they just steer. the physical deformity poo poo is because of how much spice they need in order to get there.

i'm not sure if it's explicitly stated that machines used to do those calculations before the butlerian jihad, or if it's just implied. (not counting brian herbert fanfic here). but it definitely comes up that one of the players in the story is trying to build new thinking machines to do the astrogation.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

does the book even talk about physical deformities? i thought the book just says nobody outside the guild has even seen a navigator

the original book doesn't, but frank's later books do

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Good, I hate feeling like I'm behind just because I can't binge twenty hours of television all at once

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you gotta admit, it's pretty on-brand for "rich person theme park built around samurai"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dark troopers were the empire unique unit in the age of empires ii star wars clone

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the lord of the rings is fantasy epic comprising six books in three volumes with nearly half a million words. the hobbit is a shortish novel with less than 100k words to work with, a lot of them set dressing.

one of those is suitable for adaptation into a three-movie epic trilogy, and the other just simply isn't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also the hobbit is a children's book

you could get a single good feature-length film out of it, or perhaps a duology of 90-120min children's films, but padding it out to three features is just insanity. there's not enough meat on them bones.

ultimately it's a trilogy because it's a lazy hollywood cash-in. overall not worth your time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
have to one-up snow white somehow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they're one of those species where the first one to mature kills the others to prevent competition

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Internal reflection in the camera lens, same reason you get circular lens flares offset a bit from where the sun actually is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
was watching Counterpart recently. starts out okay, a bit of a rough chuckle at this bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWi9_gD4dmY

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the problem with indivisible currency, i guess. rampant deflation has made things kind of insane ever since the one guy that made the coins in his basement got into a trade dispute.

the assassins should really establish a central bank to float the currency under a sustainable monetary policy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it was a big production you could have some of your leads over with the B unit filming Avasarala In A Small Room while the A unit takes on James Holden Talking To Fred Johnson.

Not sure if the expanse is large enough for that and I've never sat through the credits to be able to find out.

But I think it's reasonably safe to assume that the guy writing up his d20 modern adventures didn't say "let's split the party here to save future people some money when they adapt this for television".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i really liked the baltimore scenes for fleshing out his background. it really humanizes him, and he gets a nice, deeply personal, win at the end of it. shame it's immediately rendered meaningless by the larger events, i wonder if there'll be any reminiscing on that at any point or if it'll just be ignored to focus on the main plot

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

mando in baltimore?

that'd be cool, just get some real fourth wall poo poo going.

i was talking about the expanse tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Casual Encountess posted:

have u uh. read the churn

i just watch the videos on my television. no spoilers please.

i may check out the books at some point, after the show is done.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the clone wars series is an insane trip

torture, callous executions, dismemberment, etc. without any censorship or even tasteful cutaways, because it's a cartoon and the weapons cauterize wounds so there's no blood. rated PG in most places, G in quebec

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what's wojack with you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
same but it's not a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010