Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the loki series was honestly very good for a serial, and i am approximately 0% invested in any kind of comic book superhero poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im planning on watching the old adventures of sonic the hedgehog and the old inspector gadget series soon

not sure how theyll hold up, but i remember loving them when i was a kid

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

let us know how inspector gadget is. some of the first comics i ever drew as a kid were embarrassing self-insertion inspector gadget stories

will do o7

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im planning on watching the old adventures of sonic the hedgehog and the old inspector gadget series soon

not sure how theyll hold up, but i remember loving them when i was a kid

update: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is nostalgic, but at least the first few episodes are kinda bad (because theyre for children in the early 90s)

i'll hang onto them for the kids to watch when theyre older lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this is incredible

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I liked the mando show but not enough to remember that there’s new seasons

Andor looked really good as a behind the scenes no 6 heroes/families to save the universe kinda show, which imo Star Wars suffers from massively

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sweevo posted:

i hope we can all agree that solo was the worst

Solo was bad but the worst part was sitting through it and it felt like it was about to turn a corner and be good, and then that never happened

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really enjoyed rogue one but I also really enjoyed the new trilogy so my opinion is probably poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

we found someone that liked rise of skywalker? wtf

i was a dork that read every single star wars EU book and liked how they borrowed some plots from Thrawn(?) series

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

turns out that both firing the director with a solid vision for what they want to do AND pushing the actor you want to base the movie around to a drug overdose is a bad way to end up with a coherent movie in the end

hamill is really good at doing crazy weirdos so im glad they went in that direction with Los Ultimos Jedi. I wish there was a full recording as him as mozart in amadaus because that was probably a great show.

wait who OD’d??

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

his Star Trek movies were really good imo

that being said, I’m not a Trekkie

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

One of my favorite examples of institutionalized chauvinism in academia.

Men, for decades: "obviously these figures have some sexual meaning or were used in fertility rites, because they're naked ladies and the men who carved them gave them huge honkers and a dump truck rear end. I'm horny for the statue"

A woman: "no, they're just self-portraits done by a woman looking down at her own body."

this is a great post ty

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol user/post

lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

lol at the end of this week's game of the rings

some guy turned the knob from NO MORDOR to FULL MORDOR

I thought you meant they turned Sauron from angel to demon until I realised you meant a figurative knob and not A Knob

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really enjoyed the belgariad when I was a kid :sigh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

holy fuckin poo poo

https://www.newspapers.com/image/94018775/

I didn’t make it far past the “caged in the basement for 2 days for refusing to eat his dinner”

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

you're made of stronger stuff than I, I didn't make it past "you need a subscription to view this page"

lmao

I just clicked the reader button

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

do kids still read the Martin books? those always made me crave bread and cheese and other delicious food

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

assuming you mean redwall stuff, idk, but im lookin forward to reading these to him as well

yeah that’s the one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

The Knick is an awesome show he made about 1900s NYC doctors staring Clive Owen. The techno soundtrack makes the whole production feel modern and vaguely cyberpunk, which matches how these characters feel about their own changing world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9rKY8MLWTU

this looks really good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have obtained the Knick and will be watching it tonight. thanks folks!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ok so the knick is very good, but Jesus Christ I was not prepared to be wincing and squirming from watching 1900s surgeries

the missus likes it too so I see it as an absolute win

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

absolute perfection

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this just seems to be evoking lizard brain fear. Like waking up at night as a kid and hearing weird sounds and being afraid to stay in bed but also afraid to run to your parents room

it sounds like fever dreams of have when I was a kid

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Doesn't Justin Roiland do the voices for, uh, both Rick and Morty, and like half the other characters in the show

are they just gonna get an impersonator?

imo they should kill the current Rick and morty with the new Rick and morty voice guys and then have them comment about how annoying those two’s voices were

I will also accept r&m having a different voice every episode

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really enjoy the show, but I’m not like a die hard fan or have merch for it or whatever

if the show is as good or gets better, awesome, if the show sucks or gets cancelled, bummer

bring back venture bros you cowards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

qirex posted:

I think a large part of the appeal of that 70s show was people really liked looking at mila kunis, laura prepon

absolutely yes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

a kind of lovely realization i had a few months ago is with my latest lap into older films that i can now say that i've pretty much seen every notable movie from like 1973-2005. like sure there are like hellraiser sequels and whatever i havent gotten to but for the most part i can confidently say that ive seen almost every mildly notable movie from those eras. and its kind of wild to me that many of those movies will never have any kind of modern equivalent made. like heat for example, or like the hunt for red october. hell even a theater comedy like superbad that just absolutely swept pop culture is never really gonna happen in that way again. movies like die hard or terminator 2 were lightning in a bottle that just doesn't happen like that anymore.

like as a grown up i am appreciating the gently caress out of miramax's role in 80s and 90s cinema in terms of getting out movies that weren't AAA megablockbuster affairs. marvel movies and franchising have absolutely fuckin wrecked the curve on cool mid range movies. and yeah i guess netflix and hulu et all are publishing those midmarket films but none of them have been GOOD. like 5 years of hulu featured films and ive yet to watch one that sat in my brain the way dogma or fast and the furious or elephant. like i honestly have a hard time thinking of films released in the past decade because of just how generic everything has felt and seemed.

I would argue Fury Road and Terminator 2 are cut from the same cloth, in that FR was the first action movie I had seen in ages that I left the theatre all smiles

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

has anyone done that besides Lucas? and he only did it because he was so gobsmacked by the possibilities of CGI compared to 70s practical effects and no one was able to tell him it was a terrible idea and force him to stop

I thought Lucas did that to be able to release under Lucasfilm and cut his ex wife out of any earnings on the original releases

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I didn’t watch the hobbit trilogy because I heard it made Gandalf cry ☹️

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everything I see when I google it says 12mil

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

skipping 800 posts to say I watched Shin Godzilla, and it’s the first reboot I’ve watched that gave me the same feelings as watching the original ones when I was little :3:

it’s very very good and I really like the obvious allusions to Fukushima and the tsunami and the condemnation of its handling

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I enjoyed the Star Trek movies with Chris Pine, but that’s the extent of Star Trek that I’ve watched since I was a kid

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

then the AIs will just be journalists

are we sure the journos arent bots already

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

speaking of 2001, does anyone remember what old movie it was where they venture into a black hole? I remembered it the other day but I’m pretty sure it’s not the 1979 one. I can’t find a clip of them going through the black hole and just remember it being super trippy and weird, but I also don’t remember the android slave stuff either

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I haven’t been to a movie theatre since the last Star Wars movie came out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

actually I lied, I forgot we went to see Top Gun 2

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

ugh, that would be enough to keep me away from movie theatres for four or so years too

I enjoyed the new trilogy, but I am also the idiot who read every single Star Wars EU book that exists before Disney bought it and scrapped the whole thing :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

oh ms jones and i watched the new top gun today and it fuckin owned. i expected to be like "yeah that was pretty fun" but i full on loved it. they don't make movies like that very often any more

it was the first movie in a very long time that I went to see in theatres twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

my kid is about to turn 3 and we just showed her ponyo. she has an eye mask she sleeps with that she will pull over her eyes if something is too exciting but for the most part it was just a fantastic journey for her. such a cute movie

I was thinking about showing my kids Ponyo, but I couldn’t remember if it and the other Miyazaki movies were 2 and 4 yo friendly. based on this, we’ll watch it this week! :)