Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

so holy poo poo i'm watching Atomic Blonde (2017) and its not scifi but is one hell of a cold war artistic color balance cold war nutshot asskicker movie and i literally never heard of it 4 hours ago

charlize theron gets her rear end kicked, a lot

there are so, so, so, so many fights in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it doesn't slow down any, right up to the credits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

try anna for more of the same. it was deece.

why did besson remake la femme nikita?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

is this real because if so lol

they were going to make an mmo, but it turns out that was a lot of work, so it became a tabletop rpg. later it became other things, including a tv show

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bezos is veppers from surface detail, right down to aws and hells as a service

i don't think i could handle the irony of amazon producing a culture series

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

power botton posted:

old guard is an actual decent movie instead of the crap Netflix shoves out for the rest of its "originals"

i'd believe you, but

haveblue posted:

it was a comic book, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"I should buy a boat"
- Ensign Harry Kim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

an end of life crisis, apparently

alternatively, bad writing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I'd say it's still a mid-life crisis. the TNG premiere shows Bones being still pretty drat spry at like 130 years old or something and picard's maybe 80-ish by that time?

"mid-life crisis" tends to set in in the one's late 40s/early 50s and average life expectancy in the US is something like 80

okay, but he dies at the end of the first season

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

boy howdy i hope you like malcolm mcdowell, furries, and incest

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol the monster has telekinesis and eye lasers concurrently

when you get locked into a serious superpower collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

after which was Red Green).

overlooked, but this was the real gem of your sunday afternoon

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I watched a few episodes of Who 4, Tom Baker for nostalgia's sake and I was at least entertained by his mad-eyed acting and the cardboard sets. Best Who (though not a high bar)

^^These guys, the Nimon were great, the poor actors were stuck in some terrible platform shoes and those huge top-heavy costumes.

they are wonderfully fun and the camp and the "barely transitioned from radio" feel of the 60 bbc is perfect. terrible costumes, props made out of literal garbage, a series budget that could have paid for an entire minute of "dallas"

also, ymmv, but douglas adams wrote a couple tom baker dr. who episodes and they are just great too. his sense of humour and baker's charming goofiness work wonders

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

but yeah unsurprisingly osc had multiple religions in space and since lds is a form of protestantism I can’t believe no one mentioned the expanse either?

Casual Encountess posted:

why is it always space catholics? every now and again there's like space mormons in the expanse or like in ender's game, but nobody else. I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space. where the space protestants at???

i mean, the op did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1308532659027685376

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uh oh, someone lit the stymie signal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

anime oppression in the scifi thread is anti japanese racism. you can probate or ban me for this post but that doesnt make it any less true

i will try to not absolutely poo poo this thread up with eva clips or w/e but banning video from the land of the rising sun is hamfisted and dull

i'm p. sure you can post super sentai clips or whatever and no one gives a poo poo. you can also post cartoons that are not japanese.

it's just japanese cartoons, and at this point i assume the reason is pure bloody-mindedness, because it's in the rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

otoh, i'm pretty sure the rule exists because of people absolutely spamming anime clips in some previous thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but if graph didn't constantly probe smoka for increasingly arbitrary reasons, who would?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

and the secret of kells. the latter i watched on a nice handful of mushrooms once and it was a pure ray of wonder the whole time

oh yeah. i watched that on something, possibly dxm, it was pretty good from what i can remember

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i was just thinking of dxm the other day. i can’t believe i did it twice. can’t imagine watching a show like that on it

it was quite a while ago now, but what i remember is that with higher doses you wind up being completely engrossed in whatever it is you're watching, fully engaged. the rest of the effects are often unpleasant and disorienting, but it's interesting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a japanese rockabilly bar just down the street from me. i've never seen anyone with a pompadour there, but i don't doubt there are

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fantasia was kinda violent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's based on a book of the same name, not written by hp lovecraft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8b-ZIQ4e8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've never been there, but I've heard nobody can hear you scream

i ain't heard poo poo except my own heartbeat in my ears

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's gotta be better than watching anime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

did you watch colour out of space? that was the good poo poo

it was pretty solid, i appreciate that they killed off every named character except the narrator, right up to a fakeout where it looks like he's going to save the girl who was otherwise the main character, but lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i dunno buddy, i see a ghost in the shell in there

loving the russian thumbnails

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

needs more star wars

and at least another no country for old men, maybe two for good measure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i cannot think of one character in the 90s

you know what's weird? only the first one is from the 90s

the other two are pure early 2000s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

that's actually kind of hosed up now that you mention. god they feel so 99

they do, although by the second and third one they were leaning pretty hard into post-9/11

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beamed posted:

e: still dont understand why folks ever liked star wars. literally a huge Nerd collective around a single good movie out of eleven

i bet you don't even own a television either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xaris posted:

refined down to a dull knob

:hmmyes:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Data is a really crappy name for an android, it's like naming your cat fluffy or some poo poo

the other one was named "lore"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

did data name himself that or did soong decide?

also you know that all of the soong androids were built as sex-bots. the fact that there's no lady bot just tells us that soong was gay

huh? no he made a robo wife too

i mean, he may have been gay as christmas morning, but he also made a wife

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

i enjoy the auralnauts parody star wars prequels

this is the only positive legacy of the sequels, but it makes up for a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsaKaRGjnxE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Fool posted:

is fantasy garbage allowed here or is it only for space nerds

i am re-reading the raven tower right now and it is very good

the thread title is dune, which is at least as much fantasy as sci-fi

so idk, how's your wizard hat?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

indigi posted:

so was Tenet any good? I haven't heard anyone talking about it anywhere

it's nolan, so i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest "not nearly as good as everyone was saying it would be"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you predicted that christopher nolan would make a christopher nolan film?

bold choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I liked inception but also i don't even really have a concept of "a christopher nolan movie" because maybe 10% of his output has ever actually impacted my exocrust

it's this

Sagebrush posted:

memento: a noir-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
inception: a action-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
interstellar: a sci-fi-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
tenet: reportedly some sort of pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!

and also this

Jonny 290 posted:

a nine fig budget so they could show off that year's camera tricks or w/e