Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If Louis CK could get a second chance I'm sure Juice can get one.

Especially now that norm isn't around anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

oh poo poo same dude who made the lighthouse? i am in.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the dispossessed was my first exposure to world building where they actually tried to show how an anarchistic society would function, i found it super interesting.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao at neo getting cock blocked by a literal chad in the first 15 mins

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 23, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah ill spoiler it sorry

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The new matrix has a lot of bad parts but the whole self aware aspect makes me wonder how much was intentional. The new cast was completely flat and pointless, you literally don't care about a single one of them and their collective bad acting made it so much worse. It's just a Neo/Trinity love story.

The aesthetic of this iteration of the matrix (the actual matrix, not the movie itself) was a lot more subtle, instead of everything being green tinted it was all very shiny and looked questionably too perfect. The CGI was bad but it was limited to scenes that took place inside the matrix, so it had to be intentional. Same for the weird frame rate effects, like somebody was turning on motion smoothing on my TV. The part where Sati was in the grassy field looked so incredibly fake. It made me wonder if the terrible choreography was an extension of this idea.

Trinity's final one-liner "bye" was so loving funny and bad lol.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

i'm seeing a number of people going with "it was intentionally bad, as a criticism of both the studios and the audience wanting more of the same poo poo", which is certainly a take, but not one that makes me interested in seeing the film

yeah, it is what it is. it's funny and arguably worth seeing if you enjoy that kind of satire but if you want a meaningful continuation of the matrix story then you will be disappointed. even the satire aspect isn't that great.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

i think the wachowskis are generally about as subtle as a brick upside the head

there was a scene with The Merovingian where he acknowledges that the whole thing is nothing more than a spin off so yeah.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The first act of matrix 4 was great. It was the perfect way to handle a 20+ year later sequel to a franchise that had such a huge cultural impact. I especially liked how they shifted the question away from "is reality just a computer simulation?" to "is reality just an illusion in our minds?" (not considering this a spoiler as it's heavily suggested in the trailer). If they somehow managed to extend that into the full length of the movie with more philosophical mind gently caress themes, it would have been so much more satisfying. Even learning about the fate of zion and the infighting with the machines, and how it lead to a new age of human/machine cooperation was very cool.

Oh well time to watch the resident evil reboot.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I watched kevin smith’s tusk last night. it’s sci-fi i guess. it was pretty decent

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

what exactly do they think a pay grade is

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have never read a harry potter but I remember laughing a lot when everyone was running around shouting snape kills dumbledore intentionally spoiling it for everyone

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

somebody told me to watch kevin smith’s tusk blind and i did and it was also really hilarious. i mean the movie wasnt great but the twist was hosed up enough that it was worth it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

agreed sicario is good but it's probably villeneuve's weakest. actually enemy was just OK but it was weird enough that it kept me hooked.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

re: dune jokes, I am pretty sure they put every single one of the quips in the trailer. it definitely made it look like it was going to have a lot more and i was really disappointed about it. they absolutely made that trailer appeal to the marvel crowd as much as possible. i would prefer there to be no humor at all frankly, lol. the spit scene was fine though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's absolutely loving dumb though. picard doesn't need to bring "the comforts of home" with him, he lived in space for literally decades, he was a career starfleet officer.

i like how it was never addressed how insanely hosed up it would have been for him to live those 40 years as a scientist in "the inner light", and then suddenly returning to the enterprise to resume his duties like no big deal lol

i never bothered watching picard but its nice to know my gut feelings about it were correct

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 20, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

picard also literally became a borg drone lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah tv back then very much had to bring things back to the status quo by the end of each episode. it's just fun to point out the absurdity of it :)

i dunno when things started to change, twin peaks was definitely ahead of its time in that regard.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

i didn't think the spit scene was humorous. in the books it's treated as a tense confrontation and then everyone is just relieved when they understand. if someone think it's funny i don't think they get what's going on

the body language in the movie gives it some humor i guess, but yeah. they never really emphasized how god drat important moisture preservation was compared to the book.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 21, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

started watching the boys as a distraction when on the stationary bike. p good so far

i also enjoyed it more than i thought i would. please do not watch past season 1, though. it falls off extremely hard after that. so bad. just pretend season 1 ended how you hoped it would and leave it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

understood, thanks!

I should clarify that since a lot of the negative reviews for season 2 seem to be that it got "too political" or "too woke", which seems to be a low key way of outing yourself as piece of garbage person, I have to say my gripes with it are completely unrelated to that. The subject matter is fine. I just thought that many character decisions seemed to make no sense at all given previous motives and huge plot points basically get tossed to the side after the slightest hurdle. It was just really frustrating and not satisfying to watch.

"oh that thing that was super critical in season 1 and was going to justify everything we've done so far? yeah the bad guys pulled a sneaky and turns out it's not important anymore haha oh well"

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 21, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i understand why it doesn't have sound but god drat i wish it did

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

are there any actors male or female out right now that could pull off the same kind of intense dynamic that pacino and deniro had in the 90s?

i am not trying to be facetious, i legitimately don't watch a lot of new movies and i am struggling to come up with exceptional younger actors that haven't all just given up and started doing comic book stuff.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 27, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

indigi posted:

lol I’ve been trying to answer the same question all morning. Oscar Isaac and Jake Gyllenhaal was the best pair I came up with, and Oscar is busy with Moon Knight and Metal Gear Solid for who knows how long lol

yeah you are right, i was thinking oscar isaac but forgot about jake gyllenhaal

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

can’t believe the reception isn’t a trainwreck, gonna have to peep

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I was into the first 2 ring of power episodes but you could tell they blew their load on those first 2, because the 3rd was way less engaging. it's fine though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

indigi posted:

the thing I'm most annoyed by is this dude pretending he isn't Sauron. I don't feel like waiting a full season or two for the reveal, that's stupid.

is that who that is? lol - i don't know anything about lotr besides the peter jackson movies

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Roosevelt posted:

what? no that's gambalf

this was my naive assumption knowing nothing about the history of the story

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i know anime is against the rules but I recently finished attack on titan and that poo poo was so good. can’t believe I gotta wait for 2023 for the finale

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i hate to be the guy that says “you gotta give it a chance, it gets good, trust me” but it really does

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

idk I don’t watch anime at all really. i liked the ridiculous fight scenes but also it has more character development than 90% of other shows on tv lately

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i saw there was a new animated show on disney+ based on that big hero 6 movie. watched it with the kids and season one was 6 episodes long and each episode was 7 minutes. apparently 45 minutes is good enough to call a season nowadays

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah im fine with ~11 minute episodes because its half a 30 minute time slot when airing on cable. adventure time is all 10-11 minute episodes, but they have like 30-50 episodes per season

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

distortion park posted:

e: actually check out this author photo from a book I got given. gotta be fun at least

lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

iirc this is basically exactly what happened with peter jackson and the hobbit. he basically admitted he had no idea what he was doing and just winged it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://youtu.be/4PUIxEWmsvI

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

westworld season 1 was a lot of fun. never made it past a few episodes of season 2, it was real dumb.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’m watching the new cronenberg and it’s super weird and gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao walked right into that one