Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Can we not get the thread gassed for anime again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you got it chief, carry on

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

watched the first ep of fargo s4 last night

looking good!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

hobbits sucking and loving

hell yeah brother

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Agile Vector posted:

im just so tired of all these star treks

It's a good thing they can't ruin the best one with a reboot.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

lol gota say mormon raylan givens isnt waht i was expecting but its p lol

Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman were also weird choices that I think worked out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame that the man who invented the term Amerikkka got too pilled.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think the worst show i've ever watched has been the mentalist. The "finale" where he gets his nemesis was so bad. They decided to let it go on for a season after that until it was cancelled.

Also all the USA shows, but I love that garbage.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

psych was genuinely a great show. just absolutely 10000% better than it had any right to be.

monk was fun and enjoyable

burn notice had a very strong (for USA) first 1-2 seasons and woweee it went to loving poo poo real fast holy hell. they clearly wanted to filler it out and string along and the writing (especially fiona) went to absolute dog poo poo quick. fionas character handling was just ughhhh

Monk and psych are both really good. I rewatched both of them this year and while monk holds up, psych has a lot of very questionable episodes e.g. there is one where a white dude is raised by an asian family and talks with an asian accent the whole time.

Yeah i'm not quite sure what was up with Fiona's character. She goes from being gung ho about shooting bad guys, to being super clingy and so dependent on michael, to feeling bad about shooting people which is weird because she's an arms dealer and an ex ira member. The first couple of episodes are amazing because she has a really bad irish accent which I guess they told her to just stop doing for the rest of the show. Bruce Campbell was on point and really carried the show imo.

Suits and White Collar were also 2 USA shows that I stopped watching because they became way too hard to follow.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Finished The Boys S2, better than the first season by a good amount. well worth a watch and don't let the edgelord comic source put you off, it's gotten rid of the bad and kept the good.

Yeah it's very good, they got rid of all the edgy/racist poo poo Garth had in the comics.

The twist at the end completely caught me off guard, for some reason it didn't occur to me that the character in the comics had the same name.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

She has nazi eagles all over her outfit lmfao.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jabor posted:

I saw a trailer for that and one of the characters introduced themselves as "hey I'm Stormfront" so I'm not entirely sure they got rid of all the edgy racism

Her being a nazi is a big part of this season. The racist poo poo i'm talking about is how garth portrays black people in the comics. I have been rereading and there are real gross characters.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bashir's only redeeming quality was how disgusted he was that section 31 existed and worked to expose the organization.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wasn't the lady who was essentially just there to explain emotions to nerds also a doctor in TNG?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf bashir was some hitler wet dream eugenics test tube creation

and that such people are already well established in-universe to automatically be arrogant as poo poo, like to the point of being megalomaniacs and causing a world war, bringing about a planetwide dark age

lol wasn't there like one whole ds9 episode where they directly address that with him

Lmao yes I just rewatched both of those episodes recently. 1 of which involved all these genetically engineered humans who calculate that there is going to be a lot of federation life loss in their battle against the dominion so they decide to leak all federation documents to the dominion.

The more gross one is Bashir does some surgery to help one of the genetically engineered humans, and then starts a relationship with her.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm watching archer and they just made a solid foucault joke. this season is way better than last season

Agreed, kind of glad this is the last season. It felt like they were going the arrested development route of just making variances of the jokes that were popular in the first couple seasons.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I feel like the only actor that annoys me like that is Ben Affleck. Anytime I see him in a movie, I instantly shut it off.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eva is the story of how anime broke Hideaki Anno's brain.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Harrison Ford "I really don't care" response to the interviewer who asked him who shot first makes me crack up each time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

thsi season of fargo is really underwhelming

This season started off pretty good and then it felt like they introduced too many characters at once and the pace of the show slowed down too much. The Oraetta/Ethelrida plotline they started at the beginning has barely advanced and I still have no idea how Timothy Olyphant's character is relevant to the plot. Maybe this is because of all the Wes Anderson stuff i've seen but Jason Schwartzman seems very out of place.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I recently finished up umbrella academy and it was pretty decent for something based on a comic book. Has anyone read the actual comics? How are they?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mediaphage posted:

Iím not really into cop shows but man Bosch is so good. all the actors are excellent, the writing is pretty good, the cinematography is outstanding. everything is good and I didnít realize another season dropped back in April so Iíve been watching that.

Bosch is honestly one of the most deranged pieces of copaganda and one of the running subplots is dealing with Chinese spies.

My favorite season is the one where they deal with the BLM movement, and a black lawyer who is suing the department for doing another rodney king. The whole season they paint the black lawyer as an absolute piece of poo poo, he cheats on his wife frequently, neglects his son (which causes him to get into dealing drugs), and things like that. The lady who is heading the BLM movement is painted as an violent extermist despite only organizing peaceful protests the whole season, and told by the police chief that they only way they can change the system is by joining it and trying to change it from the inside. Bosch also has a whole line about how there are good cops and bad cops, and it's on the good cops to root out the bad ones.

It should be added that he lives in a huge mansion in san francisco despite being a police detective and treats his teenage daughter (who has dealt with a shitload of emotional trauma) as a stay at home wife in later seasons.

The best cop show is Justified because the whole show is supposed to show the marshals as nothing more than a bunch of goons who terrorize people, but timothy olyphant unironically believes that is a good thing for cops to do.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kenny Logins posted:

s2 was my fave season and sheís part of the reason why

https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/1256604369799262209?s=21

I love when his boss punishes him for murdering a small town's worth of people by doing this

and making him do his job.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zach Snyder sucks and shouldn't be allowed to make movies anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygDPQdiklw

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

fargo is so fuckin good

the mobsters broke dude's little figurines. in an earlier episode chris rock was gonna gently caress with them, but noticed they were his dead wifes and left them alone

It got a little a slow and dragged on towards the middle but it's really picked up. Gaetano tripping on a step and blowing his brains out was a very fargo thing to do.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Moore, Ennis, Gaiman, and co were the best and worst thing to happen to comics in the 90s.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My favorite part of batman begins is the scene where Alfred explains to Bruce that his great grandfather was part of the underground railroad and rescued slaves. Like a rich person wouldn't own slaves, and be the first person to turn them in.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The ending of this season of Fargo was quite mediocre. They tried making this Mike Milligan's back story, but it fell kind of flat since there were a billion central characters and Mike has 1 episode entirely about him, and is a B/C plot in the rest of the series.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

haveblue posted:

isn't he the only mandalorian that goes out and does contracts while the others all hide in their sewer outpost

so it's not like anyone's going to get confused by all the other mandalorians running around

Iirc they had a rule where only 1 person could go out at a time and I guess it was him most of the time?

In season 2 he encounters more mandolarians so I assume that they're a known quantity in the galaxy.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

i've had that book on my kindle for a year now. every time i see the length indicator i just start reading something else

I feel this way about Alan Moore's Jerusalem. I found a hard copy at a thrift store a couple of years ago and it literally weighs as much as a brick.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 9, 2020

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qirex posted:

I picked this up and itís good but itís extremely alan moore and it just keeps introducing new characters and giving them 100 pages of backstory, sometimes the same backstory as another character whose backstory you just read

the version I got is 3 volumes and I finished the first and like 5 actual things happen

One of my coworkers borrowed it a while back and gave it back to me a week later saying it was like reading a more convoluted version of "From Hell".

I think i'm like 1/4th of the way through and the only portion I can remember is about the stone mason who interacts with god.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

John Wick ft Bob Odenkirk looks pretty neat.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jesus christ, what an absolute piece of poo poo.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sweevo posted:

i really hated solo, but apparently i'm the only one :shrug:

I thought it was an okay movie but I also don't give a poo poo about star wars. What annoys me is that they have a literal universe to work with and create something new but they keep on using things from the original trilogy to drive the nostalgia factor.

I feel like mandalorian is heading in the same direction.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FMguru posted:

the return of bib fortuna!

also mark hamill shows up as cgi luke skywalker, wrecking fools with his green lightsaber and taking the li'l yoda away to train. artoo shows up as well!

Lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I was wondering how long it was going to take before they were going to tie mandalarian back to the new trilogy.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

he got real fat tho

I like how the actor who played Bobba Fett also got fat. I cracked up when I first saw him wearing the armor.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

the weird thing is, you can probably still show that stuff, use it as a backdrop for these smaller stories without needing to re-animate luke skywalker and a dozen other people you might remember from one of the films

It's very annoying because they have a literal galaxy of things they can make up to work with.

One of the chapotraphouse hosts described it as a show about doing fetch quests and that was why it fun to watch. Then they started tying things to universe and it became less enjoyable. It's hard to get invested when the show has done 0 character development outside of baby yoda and you're expected to know about these characters from other star wars franchises.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't recognize people without their normal avs.