Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

snl has been running for 45 years

maybe 10 of which were genuinely good. the really early days with dan akroyd, john belushi, bill murray, chevy chase, etc... and the mid-90s renaissance with chris farley, norm macdonald and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

shin godzilla is so good

on opposite day

nobody i watched it with liked it, including one weeby guy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

and on the topic the melissa mccarthy ghostbusters is fine too. i didn’t get the hate. it’s just a movie

now a woman comedy that is truly awful? bad moms christmas

they went heavy on woke marketing by trying to brand anyone who dared speak ill of it as some nazi chud chauvinist pig. they were also banking on it making so much money that it would fund a studio dedicated to a ghostbusters cinematic universe, which failed miserably. it wasn't a total financial bomb, but i don't think it made enough to come out ahead after the production and marketing costs, let alone fund a studio dedicated to sequels, spinoffs and video games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

inception was explicitly “dumb set piece: the movie” so it is his best film imo

inception was a movie to make dumb people feel smart

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

There's literally an old cop in the future police department who worked with Sylvester Stallone 35 years earlier.

If they wanted it to be only 35 years in the future, I guess they could have said it's in a weird little disney mormon planned city enclave or something where violence has been wiped out. But it doesn't make sense for the entire world to have changed that much within a single generation

the police chief was older as well, so it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't know how things were either. at the very least there would be some 50 year old army veterans who know how to fight

there's no mention of the larger world outside of the fictional city the movie is set in, and unless they are the only refuge of humanity after some kind of global holocaust or they have a berlin wall situation going on, why wouldn't they just encourage the meat eating sewer people to go live on a farm where they can raise livestock curse and eat meat to their heart's content?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

this is so much better than that matrix chase scene its not even close

that matrix highway chase is probably the only thing most people remember about the sequels, and i'd bet that most people can't tell you if it was in the second or third, since they're both basically just a blur of cg poo poo on the screen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

- freeway chase scene
- albino rastas
- sex cake
- monica belluci's boobs

This is kind of cheating as it all happens in the same act within 10 minutes of each other

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

My 16 year old brain thought this was interesting, but it's just completely unpredicable due to the rapid direction changes and unnatural deliveries from the actors.

yeah, any enjoyment i have of mallrats as an adult is basically nostalgia. too ridiculous, too much slapstick comedy, etc... i still enjoy clerks when i have it on in the background once in a while, but even then it's a product of it's time. a time when slackers having existential debates about star wars was novel instead of annoying and 90s nihilism reigned

e: and the magic eye poster isn't a sailboat

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 18, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

all giant robot anime ends with the final villain just dissolving because he hates love or something and the hero learning the power of friendship which makes him magic somehow

also all jrpgs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

idk, i think there's something to be said for giving actors something on set to act with/against. if it's a cgi hulk fighting a cgi iron man who cares. but giving sam jackson a fake gun for a scene where he's sitting in a chair just seems excessive.

look at obi-wan's "reaction" as grievous pulls out four lightsabers and does his little dance. especially the cutaway to his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlzSd9I7V50&t=55s

there's a clip in the behind the scenes of attack of the clones where natalie portman breaks down laughing filming the conveyor belt part because she's just jumping over blue foam blocks in a blue room and she can't take it seriously

the prequels were bad and only got worse with age as the cg looked more and more dated, but by the third one the actors clearly had a look in their eyes of "i don't want to do this anymore"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/2Hsri5l.mp4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kernel Sanders posted:

back in the 90s europe got all the movies 6 months later than the us. my dad was a av gear junkie and bought a lot of grey import dvds, among them the matrix.

i went into it completely blind, thinking it was some kind of b-level hacking thriller since those were in vogue back then, and well, lol.

that was my matrix story, thanks for listening.

when the advertising for the first matrix movie started in the us, it was the guy from bill & ted and speed along with cowboy curtis from pee-wee's playhouse running around in black trenchcoats waving guns around while some cryptic "WHAT IS THE MATRIX" text appeared on the screen. until it was actually in the theaters, nobody knew what it was actually about

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

how are british people so fuccking retarded

centuries of inbreeding

e: also purging that from my youtube history before i start getting some real weird recommendations

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

scrapu ando scrapu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZqOkeYbB0

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

only reason star wars and avengers were not in kh3 is that the deals were cut before disney owned them. (yeah, kh3 took a ridiculously long time to make).

square-enix's japan studio basically has duke nukem forever levels of development time for everything now, so even if they wanted kingdom hearts 4, it probably wouldn't come out until 2030 at the absolute earliest

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

this post made me go watch the hunt for red october opening titles again. poledouris was a genius

it was (is?) on prime in 4k. i hadn't seen it since i was a kid and i forgot how good that movie is. except, now that i've had more exposure to hearing actual russian, listening to connery and sam neill trying to speak it is... yikes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

to be clear, it turns out paris invested in a lot of mutual funds and good stocks and basically played dumb hot bitch to grift, then turned that into 100 million dollars, and i cannot hate on that

wow, someone who became famous because her family had a lot of money wound up making even more money by doing what financial advisors tell her to do? this is unheard of, she must be a genius!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

also all of those bankruptcies were 100% on the level and totally not ways for his various friends in nyc or russian orginized crime to launder money

a lot of builders, even more local ones, will often do things like throw up a bunch of lovely housing on a swamp, and 2 years later when the houses are sinking, the homeowners discover that they are on their own because the builder went "bankrupt", which just means that they took the money and abdicated any responsibility, and are now doing the same thing again under a new name.

growing up, there were a lot of those sleazy pool/hottub and appliance stores that "went out of business" every couple of years, only to come back a short time later under the same ownership, but with a new name. it was basically a way to write off their debt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

indigi posted:

does zizek talk like that in his first language

yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0y6FEUyIOk&t=58s

in spite of his lisp, he actually speaks very cleanly considering that the slovenian language has something like 900 dialects, some of which are utterly incomprehensible to anyone outside of the tiny area where it's spoken

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i also just wouldn't want to pay anything to loving cryptominers. i'll do all my gaming on DOSBox before i give a dime to one of those scumbags

:hai:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

daniel radcliffe on the set of the weird al yankovic biopic

he looks like a kid dressing up as weird al for halloween

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the first season is weak but 2-7 are classics and 8 is still very good

the first season leaned really heavily into being the anti-cosby-show and it's largely one of those parts of entertainment history where you had to be there or you wouldn't get it. a lot of the episodes have really dark overtones and are pretty depressing

the show was still finding it footing in season 2, but it had it's moments. "three men and a comic book" and "bart the daredevil" are genuine classics that feel like they are from later seasons

seasons 3 through 7 are some of the best television ever produced though. season 4 in particular is basically non-stop hits. the cracks started appearing in seasons 7, and season 8 seemed to be more weak episodes than good ones. early season 9 has the infamous "the principal and the pauper" episode, which is the point where even the writers and voice actors admit that the show officially jumped the shark.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 3, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

banned from megatokyo

i was going to make that joke, but i can't believe that the megatokyo guy actually drew enough comics for something like that to happen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i had to look, and the latest is from feb 22, and is #1601

is that 1601 actual comics, or is that including all of the "boo hoo me, i can't draw anything this week month, so here's a sad looking robot anime girl talking l33t sp33k"?

yes, i knew a supremely nerdy guy in university who owned and wore a megatokyo shirt, why do you ask?
no, it wasn't me you dorks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i saw clerks 3 last week. it was bad for a lot of reasons (don't see it), but one of the subplots is wrapped up by someone selling nfts for millions and saving the day. the movie only just came out and already feels quite dated from this.

also, people having existential, pedantic arguments about star wars/comic bullshit is extremely played out at this point, and watching two 50-ish year olds act like goofy teenage stoners doesn't really work.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kevin smith caught lightning in a bottle 30 years ago with the first clerks and is still trying to recapture it

without success

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

films about comics and toys becoming politicized is a hollywood marketer's wet dream

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

what was the lethal weapon spoof that had emilio estivez

loaded weapon

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

indigi posted:

Epic Movie killed spoofs

in the rlm top secret re:view they pointed out that, by the epic/date/whatever movie point, they weren't even parodying whole movies anymore, since the parodies were basically being produced at the same time as the source material. they were just taking concepts from trailers and making a quick, cash-in movie around them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

polyester concept posted:

christmas vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlWrt-zmTo