Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Stymie is the mind-killer. Stymie is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face stymie. I will permit their posts to pass over me and through me. And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see the thread. Where stymie has gone there will be nothing. Only my posts will remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

is that the one where that guy does a school shooting then just walks out? and there's some sort of of rabbit quarantine island?

also free smoka that redline intro thing was actually ok and I don't even like anime

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah star wars rules

darth vaper

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

indigi posted:

so was Tenet any good? I haven't heard anyone talking about it anywhere

I liked it. I thought kenneth branagh wasnt really menacing enough and the sort of not twist but.... Idk justification that he was dying of pancreatic cancer so didn't care and was gonna take the whole world with him 'because if I can't have it no one can' was stupid. but the set pieces were undeniably cool to watch and pattinson was very good

i did come out feeling like I needed to draw a diagram though.

Also I got fined £65 for driving down a controlled zone that didn't used to be there on my way back from the cinema and I'm blaming Nolan for that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

indigi posted:

wait, the bad guy from Wild Wild West is in this? now I'm excited

gently caress I forgot he was in that. God drat now I'm going to have "wiki wiki wah" in my head

indigi posted:

fuckin hell. I'll tweet the gofundme link

reduced from £130 for prompt payment! bastards installed a whole load of cameras to "deter people with sat navs from rat running" but i used to goddam live there and was taking an old shortcut

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

>grow beard

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the futurama episode with the pre crime division was legit genius and was really late on

"that's a violation of the law of lorentz invariance, bust him! "

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

what the gently caress

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

one of my favorite sf movie traditions is hiring a serious british actor (alec guinness, judi dench, sian phillips, etc) to appear in your space wizard film to try and give it a touch of gravitas

judi Dench in riddick was hilarious. I hope they paid her a lot for that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

at least highlander had the big dude. the grizzler or something

that is his name. 100%. its the grizzler.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh my god the grizzler was played by Clancy Brown no way

pretty sure the last time I saw that film I was about 12 and had no idea who he was

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

the gbs simpsons meme thread is doing simpsons/dune mashups

this had better have a "stupid sexy feyd" one in it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sounds like heresy imho

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

David lynch

darth vader slides into the room, naked from the waste up and wearing something like a diving mask: ah obi wan it is good to see you, shall we see now who is the master?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

idk who mentioned it but The Mentalist was great and I'm pretty sure everyone was in on the joke and they just threw the ending out because they were tired and had to wrap it up somehow

I think maybe 10% of episodes actually related to the overarching plot and the rest were just jokes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also I just remembered that Star Trek Discovery had "breath authentication" on a door as a plot point in an early episode

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol every time

lmao I don't think I've seen that episode

Simon Baker always just looks like he's having so much fun. I also highly appreciate the solidly maintained stoicism of kimbal "the raging Asian" cho who doesn't change expression for 7 solid seasons

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Also sci fi adjacent: I started playing Disco Ellysium again as I only played all the way through once (possibly as the Mentalist aka psychic cop) and within 10 minutes I've punched a child in the face and laughed out loud because I didn't think that was what that dialogue option did

who's the bitch now Cuno?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

was that wrong?

should I not have done that?

no it is the children

Kitsuragi is just jealous because he can't substantiate these thoughts into the *real* like me

edit: I put all my points in empathy and physical power/muscles so we'll see how well this goes!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 17, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

reading posted:

First post in 4 years. Welcome back YOSPOS.

I stepped away from the forums for 4 years and when I came back, it was just reposts from twitter. :-/

a valuable service imho as it means I don't have to go on twitter

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just realised I've never heard Sacha baron cohens real voice until now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Interstellar is terrible, though. It is the canonical example that Christopher Nolan produces films where the sun is less than the total of its parts.

negative its actually good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The Great Bene Gesserit Bake Off

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This week is spice week and Baron Harkonnen is cooking a special surprise for Leto to impress the landsraad

Next week: it's also spice week and Leto II has an incredible sand trout show stopper

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think I had an audio book version of The Witches and that was pretty good. I think it also kept the kind of bleak ending from the book where he stays as a mouse so has a like 5 year life span but doesn't mind because the he'll die when his grandmother does.

Edit: lmao they kept the original ending in the new film and now people are losing their minds

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Jolly road-trip novel The Road by Cormac McCarthy is only a quid on Kindle today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FV4T9I

Pricing elsewhere may be different

Also the new Stross Laundry book dropped a few days back, I haven't gotten round to it yet but apparently it takes a time-jump to after CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, so I'm at least intrigued to find out what the gently caress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Lies-Dreaming-Novel-Laundry-ebook/dp/B07Y4QLYZN/
I haven't read any of the laundry books since the one with the super powered policeman as I thought he'd sort of run out of ideas, should I pick the back up?

Edit: oh yeah it's because the synopsis for the delerium brief made it sound like it would be 300 pages of the same joke about consultants in suits and the PFI complex and I've got Private Eye for that

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 3, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Honestly if you aren't 'sunk cost' in the series I wouldn't, I preordered the latest book but even I have series fatigue at this point. I mean all the books have fun bits in them but I don't think it's a series I'll ever return to. Look up some detailed synopses if you dgaf about spoilers and see if anything interests you.

I do still want to read the last of the Merchant Princes TNG series he has ongoing to see how that wraps up though.

I'll consider my assumptions vindicated!

I never got into merchant princes, I think I got half way through the second one and stopped

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also book chat, although my brain is rotted by posting and not commuting anymore so I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to, I will always find time to read a new Neal Asher space explosion fest

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the pilot they had people calling bilbo the n word to his face

is Peter Jackson going gritty for the silmarillion?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

indigi posted:

the Bourne movies rule actually

indigi posted:

except for the Hawkeye one that one sucked poo poo

:hai:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Umbrella Academy reminded me a hell of a lot of The Transition by Iain M Banks, particularly in how they represented The Handler in the series

It was good.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo that's egregious

this is some straight up legal calculus poo poo, "let's try it and if it works we'll essentially argue it as precedent for a 'use it or lose it' style approach where the burden is on the writer to enforce the contract not us to respect it, and if they don't, we claim they've abandoned the work"

at the same time though, who the gently caress is buying the Alien novelisations? I think read the alien 3 one which i bought for 10p at a garden sale in 1997

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

seems at least two people bought it

are you suggesting I need to send Alan Dean Foster a royalties cheque?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

game of thrones is the worst series to rewatch because you already know a bunch of horrible stuff is gonna happen and everyone you like will die

and the end sucks and the acting seems to get progressively worse

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

apparently craig charles has cleaned up which is nice

he's been running a radio show on 6 music for years, I actually kind of wonder how he turned himself around from "literally smoking crack in the back of a taxi" to "being paid by a national broadcaster"

I haven't watched Red dwarf past series uhhhh 6 I think? Whatever the one where red dwarf itself was back with all the crew and they had waaaay too much cgi going on.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just remember that Craig Charles presented a vr gameshow in the 90s that also starred Patrick Moore and was nuts. I thought it was *amazing*. Those graphics :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLj-xibrpoM

astonishingly powerful 90s energy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sweevo posted:

that's series 8 - the one where they spent the entire series in the brig and it's full of prison rape jokes.

yeah that's it, I remember thinking "uhh that's a bit much" on some of the jokes even back then and as an idiot teen

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

six young attractive people, unemployed (except for ross i guess), who somehow can afford to live together in large NY apartments and all have deep bonds of friendship with each other. it's a fantasy show.

tbf the others did have jobs I think? Well three of them did.

I always thought that they were essentially unemployable though, I mean can you imagine putting up with that bullshit in the office?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ᖴ Γ ᐱ Ƨ I Ξ Γ Ш ᐱ ᐯ Ξ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

L
M
A
O