Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
"move along home" aired 30 years ago today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XvrpEx6H4

allamaraine! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dude was also a massive nerd; he was literally playing with model armies before it was cool fully commercialized, and apparently had a huge blast being in star wars and wished he could be in another

lol, he got his wish in the worst possible way

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm gonna indulge in cynicism here and say i think a lot of people were just starstruck by "oh wow, it's london! and it's in modern times (so relevant, look at those floating text messages, wow!) and benedict cumberbatch is doing the sheldon-from-bbt thing (autism!) and watson was in afghanistan (in the 2000s, so topical!) wow!!!"

yeah, agreed. it's not that the modern spin really bothers me, it's the way they did it. it just comes across as completely unnecessary. iirc holmes was a heroin addict? well, afaik in the books he used cocaine: that will definitely get someone obsessive about them into a mystery-solving mood

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

picard season 3 episode 5 continues to disappoint. it again seems like a good show on the surface but if you think about it at all, it's deeply stupid

- ro laren comes back only to die in the same episode
- these are indeed meatbag changelings. beverly helpfully suggests that this is evolution that has occurred over the past 25 years :shepface:
- kirk acevedo shows up! but he plays a british vulcan gangster for some reason. lmao.
- the changelings have infiltrated starfleet comprehensively, relying on their semi-solid abilities to evade detection. i'm sure this won't be dumb as all hell and a chance for the very smart writers to constantly misdirect us
- jack has some sort of extremely stranger things-esque hallucinations going on. this show can't do anything original. i'm guessing he's part borg, because those scenes are usually tinted heavily red and he looks like a cylon, plus he single-handedly wastes 4 changelings in this episode
- worf and raffi's story finally gets tied into the main plot but it remains a huge millstone around its neck. man, those scenes really drag
- speaking of scenes, you still can barely see what the hell is going on. apparently nobody on a starfleet ship needs to see more than 3 feet in front of them

:ughh:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 16, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its seriously so bad. in the previous episode it's justified as a result of being in a nebula, but the lights very occasionally get turned up to what you might consider "normal starfleet level", because of power surges. even then it's pretty obvious that they just bumped up the luminosity digitally because everything briefly gets washed out. they didn't even bother to adjust the contrast

and right off the bat in this episode ro orders the uss titan-a to "power down" (and surrender), which again seems like a lazy out for them to justify the lighting being absolute garbage. its therefore completely intentional and hilarious to watch the executive producer/showrunner (terry matalas) whine about it on twitter because he also wrote most of the episodes, he literally loving chose this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i had something of a real-time realization in the tviv thread. jack isnt a borg. he's a changeling

Beeftweeter posted:

i just watched jack's scenes again and yeah, i think he's somehow a changeling but doesn't know it. every time we see the cylon eyes or some hallucination, he had just seen or been around a changeling. the branches are probably a literal representation of the great link because this show does not do subtlety

they also don't want to hurt him, just capture him. well, no only one changeling has ever harmed another. it would also explain why he was able to identify them and start blasting

:negative:

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, he's probably something like shinzon

...only this time beverly somehow stole him before they could activate him or whatever. that is, he was probably meant to replace picard (technically a nemesis spoiler)

never thought they'd return to that well, but here we are apparently

Beeftweeter posted:

ahh god it all fits

odo doesn't know he's a changeling at first either. bev bizarrely highlights the importance of jack "sleeping"

someone else pointed out that they don't do a DNA test on him to confirm his lineage

it all fits, it's just dumb as hell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the leaked episode title was also wrong, it's "impostors", plural

while yes, we see several, this... also fits. lmao

god its dumb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

RIP Lance Reddick, star of Resident Evil, Tron: Uprising, Fringe and some other stuff.

wtf

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

apparently he was in the middle of a press tour for john wick 4 too :wtc:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

aw man, look at his twitter. seemed like a cool dude :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

im watching the twilight zone and this episode is a guy who goes to vegas with his wife and becomes a crazy slot machine addict

it's really really bad. i didn't know they made twilight zone episodes this bad

how did you not mention that episode is "The Fever" lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

You should press Enter, there's probably a full movie on that disc.

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

polyester concept posted:

… a way better movie, where was it at the oscars?

this has never been relevant to the academy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll watch a week of coen bros movies before i watch a minute of a wes anderson movie

lol they're both good. imo you gotta be in the mood for either one though

but incidentally as i've gotten older i've done the inverse, i can't stand a lot of coen brothers stuff these days while a wes anderson flick is absolutely fine to just zone out to :shrug: they're more visual i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

I mean for the Coens they don't have one style or tone, so it completely depends on what movie you pick. Raising Arizona is gonna get you to a far different place than Barton Fink.

yeah, i mean, it's really an apples-to-oranges comparison

wes is more consistently whimsical i guess but he doesn't really have one style either. the grand budapest hotel probably sticks out to me here because i saw it most recently, but it mixes a variety of cinematographic styles very effectively i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i haven't seen it but i've become a robert pattinson fan

https://ew.com/celebrity/robert-pattinson-blew-up-microwave-invent-pasta-dish/

quote:

According to a recent GQ profile, the actor had a bit of a mishap while trying to invent a "pasta which you can hold in your hand." He even has a cool Italian name picked out for the would-be creation: Piccolini Cuscino or "Little Pillow."

During the interview, Pattinson attempted to recreate the recipe, which included a "giant, filthy dust-covered box of cornflakes," presliced cheese, sauce ("just any sauce," the actor said), sugar, penne, aluminum foil, and water.

After burning himself with the pasta fresh out the microwave, Pattinson then accidentally lit one of his gloves on fire. But he didn't give up, wrapping the dish in even more aluminum foil and putting it in the microwave, which he assured GQ was an oven and not a microwave (it was a microwave). That's when the magic really began.

"Proudly he is walking back toward the counter that his phone is on when, behind him, a lightning bolt erupts from the oven/microwave," GQ writer Zach Baron recounted. "Pattinson ducks like someone outside has opened fire. He's giggling and crouching as the oven throws off stray flickers of light and sound."

"The f---ing electricity … oh, my God," Pattinson said. Then, "with a loud, final bang, the oven/microwave goes dark."

"Yeah, I think I have to leave that alone," Pattinson conceded. "But that is a Piccolini Cuscino."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hell he seems like a goon lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

there are posters on other sites. twitter for one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

he's actually a very fine actor. i feel ashamed for judging him on his twilight nonsense, he deserves to stack that royalty money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hmm. who is your favorite on-screen batman? there have been so many

all of the live-action actors are pretty good, even if the characterization is not. except maybe ben affleck and even he wasn't that bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i was gonna say val kilmer was actually pretty decent, when i was a kid i actually liked batman forever :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

keaton is good, clooney was even pretty decent

kevin conroy in the animated series is excellent of course

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the animated series batman really did strike an excellent balance. he's a misanthrope, but still pretty positive; he's a good detective, but he only does really dumb poo poo on occasion; he's distinctly bruce wayne, but also batman; he's a smartass, but not a dick (at least until the later episodes); he's serious, but not grim, etc.

its one of the very few kids shows i still enjoy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

its really well written and didint treat kids as idiots, for the most part.

the 2 parter heart of steel freaked me out as a kid with the idea of robots replacing people and i think thats a good thing

also the dark-deco style is so excellent

the art style is incredible and i'm so glad a remaster finally came out

yeah those eps are great. the bulk of them are at least very good i think, there's really only a handful i can think of that are an automatic skip

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

a man whose super power is immense wealth and mental illness.

we have one of those, his name is elon musk.

he thinks hes a different mentally ill superhero billionaire though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

in adult anime news, charges against justin roiland were dropped so he's started his "TOTALLY EXONERATED!!! UNFAIRLY CANCELLED!!!" twitter tour

https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/1638629789258100737

*burps* you can't — you can't cancel me morty. i'm uncancellable. my genius knows no bounds and *burp* everyone will know how much i want to gently caress little kids. its legal, morty, if you wait until they're 18. i'm not really a grandpa, you know, i just play one on tv

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

speaking of bad lighting, picard season 3 episode 6 was absolutely terrible lmao

good stuff:

- for better or for worse, the plot moves forward
- we finally see all of the tng cast

really bad stuff (major spoilers because it's nearly the entire episode):

- the lighting still sucks rear end
- the dialogue for literally everyone is really really bad. they're full-on action movie characters now
- picard's dead human body is stolen by changelings
- kirk's dead body is also in storage at the daystrom institute for some reason
- data is back, and he's human somehow, but it's also lore, B-4, R2D2 and one of the soongs
- riker is kidnapped by changelings
- moriarty returns, for about 30 seconds. riker defeats him by whistling at him
- jack crusher has irumodic syndrome
- they steal the cloak from the hms bounty (the bird of prey from the whale movie) and then have trouble installing the cloak on the uss titan
- ...having shown the defiant not even a minute beforehand
- literally all of the references to previous shows or episodes are explicitly referenced in dialogue, including
- an actual clip from "encounter at farpoint" that ultimately doesn't matter

it wasn't even enjoyable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i can see why they screened the previous 5 for critics. they were dumb, but at least enjoyable enough

this episode was a return to form for the previous seasons

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm amazed they held it in for five whole episodes

they didn't really, the warning signs were all there lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nope that happened. it mentions something called "project: phoenix" too (you can kinda see it in your screenshot), so i'm guessing they wanted to turn him into a fleshy robot also

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh it's dumber than that: they do the reverse to data. he's a "human" android, and literally right after this exposition about just how human he is they show him projecting a hologram of jean-luc's dead body out of his face

like, picture R2D2 doing "help me obi-wan kenobi, you're my only hope", but instead of a cute little trash can it's an elderly brent spiner

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

subtitle edit owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

polyester concept posted:

I didn't know there was a difference in what you could use - assumed it was all fair game. Does that mean you can have a yellow bear in a red shirt named winnie the pooh but it has to be a completely different art style or something?

basically

as an example, mickey mouse as seen in steamboat willie will be public domain next year, but mickey mouse as depicted in fantasia will be a copyright violation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i loved paddington bear as a kid

*gives you a cold, hard stare*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my brother over in jersey caught them filming the new joker movie

at this place: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aWUZrgvJoJR4GVUi7?g_st=ic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao. loving terry

he is seriously subpar fanfic level bad. there's a uss new jersey (ncc 1975) that is very prominent in the most recent episode and i noticed a uss raritan (a town in northern nj) in a previous episode also

considering how clunky that is i figured that terry had to have been from ratitan and born in 1975. of course, that was right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that's just shameful.

i hope at least brent spiner cajoled him into that poo poo just so that he could have some fun if they're going to keep digging up that corpse to gently caress

levar burton and brent spiner have an interview up in variety today: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/star-trek-picard-brent-spiner-levar-burton-geordi-data-1235562874/

its really not worth reading, they really don't say much, but i don't get the sense that much of what happens was either of their ideas. spiner name-drops terry specifically several times, but in particular:

quote:

Brent Spiner: We had fun. We were on soundstages with no windows for 14 to 16 hours a day for 10 months a year. If we didn’t have fun, we would have murdered each other and we wouldn’t be friends today. But I wouldn’t say it was exactly the same [on “Picard”]. It was different. We didn’t have fun anymore. No, I’m kidding. We had fun. We enjoyed each other, but I don’t think it was quite as raucous as in the old days. We were trying to serve Terry Matalas, who had given us such nice stuff to play.

makes me think a lot (possibly all) of this was terry's idea. yes, it's one line in a puff piece interview, and that's not to say spiner and burton don't have their own dumb ideas of course, but this specific type of dumb nostalgia is very on-brand for terry. i don't think spiner is a producer this time around either. if he wanted credit for bringing data back again i think he'd almost certainly take it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

welp. i guess terry matalas can own this one then

some guy from the memory gamma heydays got to write an entire season of star trek

basically yeah. a lot of people in tviv were saying like "ah they should just get a superfan to write it!"

well, that can work: that's kinda what lower decks is (mike mcmahan ran the "TNG season 8" twitter before getting the showrunner job) and the show harnesses that really well imo. they clearly really love the franchise and whenever they make fun of it it's not necessarily mean-spirited (although sometimes it is, and that's still funny i think)

...but thats rare. usually you end up with someone like terry writing picard and the results are absolutely awful. it still has its defenders of course because there are (somehow) a lot of people that love that kind of poo poo, but man it's just not for me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

that reminded me that one of the writers on enterprise got the job because they wrote the "where no fan has gone before" episode of futurama and someone involved happened to see it

lol, i went looking for more behind that and apparently it was because braga and berman wanted enterprise to be funnier

lol, i did not know this and went to go see their enterprise credits

oof. a couple mediocre episodes of an already mediocre show

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

the uss cerritos is kind of a dumb design. do you seriously have to take a turbolift through the warp nacelles to get from the saucer to the engineering hull? what happens if the nacelle springs a leak and fills up with warp plasma? sheesh

i dont think so?

there is no engineering hull

e: The California class consisted of a saucer section with a pair of warp nacelle pylons attached directly to its ventral surface. The pylons contained turbolift access in their aft-most section. A small secondary hull, bearing the navigational deflector dish, was mounted between the nacelles via a second pair of pylons. (LD: "Second Contact") https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/California_class

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

the secondary hull is the engineering hull. that's where the warp core is

well either way it seems like its mounted between the pylons (without apparent turbolift access). the exterior shots make me think thats how it's configured also

Sagebrush posted:

nerds?? on this website? in this subforum?? localized entirely to this thread???

this has been stuck in my head after i saw it yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYvAKEDuuo

:piss: