Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

An all-Kroot army would be super cool, if they ever gave them any drat models lol. They have a neat aesthetic and a sorta classic sci-fi vibe that I've always liked.

Yeah I actually meant to ask if this means a new shaper, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/26/after-over-two-decades-of-terrorising-tabletops-the-avatar-of-khaine-is-putting-his-feet-up

They're making it rather obvious that one of the Friday reveals is going to be the new Avatar model. :v:

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Yeah I actually meant to ask if this means a new shaper, maybe?

The pre-orders for the codex and relevant model (Darkstrider) have been shown off so probably not anytime soon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It sounds like they're hinting at the option to have the Wailing Doom in spear form and even maybe, axe form? That would be pretty cool if it came with all three options.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

The pre-orders for the codex and relevant model (Darkstrider) have been shown off so probably not anytime soon.

It's possible there's another Kill Team something for Tau in the pipeline. The new Kommando models weren't on the Ork codex datasheet but were available around the same time.

There have been official IG & Tau themed social media posts about LVO this week, and one had a date reference to a year when Vostroyans fought a Tau Commander.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kind of dumb question but, is Mosler stuff really confined to the core rule book along with novels and black library stuff? Getting my first set today and I figure I may pick up a codex or two, but I was wondering if it’s just numbers or fluff and crunch.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking for a bit of advice. I've been playing small games with a friend with armies only 50PL in size. However, knowing I play Chaos he tends to bring a Space Marine army that's very shooty and beats me pretty easily (I'm not that experienced). I've been reading some stuff and think that maybe creating an Emperor's Children army with Noise Marines and Havocs will make for a more shooty army that could compete from range, is this a good idea? Also am I able to bring Slaanesh demon into my army? I did fancy bringing in some daemonettes instead of cultists.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/26/after-over-two-decades-of-terrorising-tabletops-the-avatar-of-khaine-is-putting-his-feet-up

They're making it rather obvious that one of the Friday reveals is going to be the new Avatar model. :v:

Make sure to watch the video, there's a silhouette of the new model at the end.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Kroot and Kroot hounds have always given me such a sour aftertaste since they sort of remind me of Gungans..probably since they came out around the same time.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm starting to rethink my opinion on the Grey Knights Combat Patrol, in light of

-the fact that the only Grey Knights I have are the Hexfire ones (Crowe, Dreadknight, one Strike Squad of 10) and Voldus
-the reality that I'm never going to play in a real competition setting
-the points changes basically completely reshaping GK Lists That Work, so I might as well get that second Dread, a Librarian, half a box of a Strike Squad because sometimes they're run as 5 and sometimes 10, and some Terminators/Paladins because why the hell not, it might make sense if I'm just gonna be playing local games.

I think if I'd already had more Grey Knights than I have currently, I'd probably skip it. And the Thousand Sons box is still poop city!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

When are those combat patrol boxes out anyhow

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hope we get some more CSM previews at LVO. All the Eldar reveals are neat but I'm ready to see some other stuff, and I'm really hoping the rumors of more Traitor Guard end up being true because that's a little side project I've had on the back burner for a long time.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Kind of dumb question but, is Mosler stuff really confined to the core rule book along with novels and black library stuff? Getting my first set today and I figure I may pick up a codex or two, but I was wondering if it’s just numbers or fluff and crunch.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're referring to.

I think what you're asking is if the fluff is mostly confined to the rule book and novels, in which case the answer is "sort of". The codices include bits of fluff for the entire army but used to have an entire page of writing for every individual unit, now there's like two sentences per unit.

bessantj posted:

Looking for a bit of advice. I've been playing small games with a friend with armies only 50PL in size. However, knowing I play Chaos he tends to bring a Space Marine army that's very shooty and beats me pretty easily (I'm not that experienced). I've been reading some stuff and think that maybe creating an Emperor's Children army with Noise Marines and Havocs will make for a more shooty army that could compete from range, is this a good idea? Also am I able to bring Slaanesh demon into my army? I did fancy bringing in some daemonettes instead of cultists.

Firstly if you're playing with PL instead of points it's clearly not meant to be a competitive game right? In which case I would suggest you build the lists together to make for a fun game, instead of each bringing a list you think will do well. If they want to play competitively, stop using PL. If they refuse, point out in the rules when using PL you can summon as many daemons as you want for free.

If you're playing non-competitively and writing the lists together to be a decent match, then it's important to look at both armies instead of just looking at what you can do with just the CSM army.

If you are playing competitively, Emperor's Children is generally considered one of the stronger legions. If you can throw in some Keepers of Secrets as a soup option that might be good.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm starting to rethink my opinion on the Grey Knights Combat Patrol, in light of

-the fact that the only Grey Knights I have are the Hexfire ones (Crowe, Dreadknight, one Strike Squad of 10) and Voldus
-the reality that I'm never going to play in a real competition setting
-the points changes basically completely reshaping GK Lists That Work, so I might as well get that second Dread, a Librarian, half a box of a Strike Squad because sometimes they're run as 5 and sometimes 10, and some Terminators/Paladins because why the hell not, it might make sense if I'm just gonna be playing local games.

I think if I'd already had more Grey Knights than I have currently, I'd probably skip it. And the Thousand Sons box is still poop city!

So Crowe is just for cool points really, same with Voldus. So from a "What is good" PoV you've got a Dreadknight and 10 Strikes (let's say two squads of 5).

If you get the combat patrol the automatically "good stuff" is the Dreadknight and the strikes so that's 2 Dreadknights and 3 x 5 Strike Marines. Typically most people going Dreadknight heavy will have a techmarine, but you only have two so he can wait. People also tend to take Draigo but you could arguably take voldus instead. If you don't take Draigo or Voldus you will 100% need a librarian so thats fine.

That leaves you with the terminator box, which you can use to make a Brother Captain and an Apothecary. You can then make 3 Paladins which I actually think at 1,000 points aren't a bad shout because secondaries aren't as important at those levels anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

bessantj posted:

50 PL is like what, 1000 pts? Hard to manage. Your friend sounds like a bit of a dick if he’s bringing lists specifically that you’re weak against. Anyway I think all the answers to your questions are “yes,” though I’m less sure about the requirements for souping with daemons. But Emperor’s Children are maybe the best CSM legion right now and Noise Marines with Endless Cacophony are super strong. This goonhammer article has a pretty good, recently updated overview:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-emperors-children-tactics/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Firstly if you're playing with PL instead of points it's clearly not meant to be a competitive game right? In which case I would suggest you build the lists together to make for a fun game, instead of each bringing a list you think will do well. If they want to play competitively, stop using PL. If they refuse, point out in the rules when using PL you can summon as many daemons as you want for free.

If you're playing non-competitively and writing the lists together to be a decent match, then it's important to look at both armies instead of just looking at what you can do with just the CSM army.

If you are playing competitively, Emperor's Children is generally considered one of the stronger legions. If you can throw in some Keepers of Secrets as a soup option that might be good.

Yeah it's very much a casual game, though I do suspect that there is a bit of a competitive streak in him. I'm not sure if he'd pick lists together but it's something I will suggest, it's an interesting idea.

Re: summoning as many daemons as I want for free. I didn't realise, I need to read up on 9th rules and summoning more. Thanks for the heads up.

Captain Magic posted:

50 PL is like what, 1000 pts? Hard to manage. Your friend sounds like a bit of a dick if he’s bringing lists specifically that you’re weak against. Anyway I think all the answers to your questions are “yes,” though I’m less sure about the requirements for souping with daemons. But Emperor’s Children are maybe the best CSM legion right now and Noise Marines with Endless Cacophony are super strong. This goonhammer article has a pretty good, recently updated overview:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-emperors-children-tactics/

I think he uses some lists to test as he also plays with another group. I don't mind too much it means I really have to read into what Chaos can do and pick from there. Thank you for the link I keep forgetting about goonhammer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitchner posted:

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're referring to.

I think what you're asking is if the fluff is mostly confined to the rule book and novels, in which case the answer is "sort of". The codices include bits of fluff for the entire army but used to have an entire page of writing for every individual unit, now there's like two sentences per unit.

Yes, apologies for the bad speech to text and me not checking, but that is exactly what I was wondering. Like I didn’t want to buy the imperial guard codex if it’s just know straight rules, but if it’s a mix I’m fine with that. Since it allows me to gauge my interest in that army/faction better.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Kitchner posted:

So Crowe is just for cool points really, same with Voldus. So from a "What is good" PoV you've got a Dreadknight and 10 Strikes (let's say two squads of 5).

Hard disagree. Assuming you're running a non-Rapier brotherhood, and only looking to field two HQs, he's a solid second pick. With Tide of Convergence and his sword, you're looking at a sub 100-pts character that punches way above his weight.
I usually run him instead of a techmarine.

Edit: Draigo is of course better if you have the spare points. Librarians are, in my experience, too situational, and Chaplains are also very much viable, and performs well with huge infantry blocks.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, apologies for the bad speech to text and me not checking, but that is exactly what I was wondering. Like I didn’t want to buy the imperial guard codex if it’s just know straight rules, but if it’s a mix I’m fine with that. Since it allows me to gauge my interest in that army/faction better.

If you want a good idea what a codex would look like, check second-hand book stores for an older codex and look through that. Most codices don't change all that much from edition to edition.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

An all-Kroot army would be super cool, if they ever gave them any drat models lol. They have a neat aesthetic and a sorta classic sci-fi vibe that I've always liked.

I'd kill for updated plastic Kroot kits

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

bessantj posted:

Yeah it's very much a casual game, though I do suspect that there is a bit of a competitive streak in him. I'm not sure if he'd pick lists together but it's something I will suggest, it's an interesting idea.

Re: summoning as many daemons as I want for free. I didn't realise, I need to read up on 9th rules and summoning more. Thanks for the heads up.

The summoning is about the use of "reinforcement points" which only exists in matched play games. If you're not playing a matched play games reinforcement points isn't a thing. The fact my Word Bearers could summon a Greater Daemon every turn for 5 turns is basically my nuclear option for how to keep people honest in Crusade. If they want to try to play competitively in a clearly non-competitive format, then I have the ultimate "This game is broken and you lose" button.

These days if I'm not playing a competitive game I tailor my list with my opponent to make a fair contest. Like if they really want to bring some knights cool, I'll make sure I have anti-tank. If they want to bring loads of infantry, I will also bring loads of infantry, or vehicles with anti-infantry etc and vice-versa.

Essentially both players should look at both lists and draw lines between stuff to say "OK this list has A, and the other list has B which could deal with it".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

The summoning is about the use of "reinforcement points" which only exists in matched play games. If you're not playing a matched play games reinforcement points isn't a thing. The fact my Word Bearers could summon a Greater Daemon every turn for 5 turns is basically my nuclear option for how to keep people honest in Crusade. If they want to try to play competitively in a clearly non-competitive format, then I have the ultimate "This game is broken and you lose" button.

These days if I'm not playing a competitive game I tailor my list with my opponent to make a fair contest. Like if they really want to bring some knights cool, I'll make sure I have anti-tank. If they want to bring loads of infantry, I will also bring loads of infantry, or vehicles with anti-infantry etc and vice-versa.

Essentially both players should look at both lists and draw lines between stuff to say "OK this list has A, and the other list has B which could deal with it".

So I can summon a demon of some sort once a turn? I really have to look into the summoning stuff. Also surprised that Emperor's Children can be quite good in shooting and melee at the same time.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Quick question, what's the easiest way to score CP with an Unbound army? Fortifications?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Demilich posted:

Quick question, what's the easiest way to score CP with an Unbound army? Fortifications?

Kinda a fun thought experiment I guess, but if I wanted to maximize it:

You can get 1 CP per battle round from outside sources like Ultramarine's Scryer's Gaze spell, Mind Raid, or Perifidious Tome for Thousand Sons - if you're unbound just take a few of these so that you can reliably score that 1 CP per turn.

Next, stratagems I believe get around the 1CP/turn thing, so take stuff that can get Kurov's Aquila with Imperial Guard or Player of the Twilight for Harlequins. This will usually mean reacting to something or using the stratagems after achieving whatever trigger they need

There's a bunch of these traits/stratagems for practically every army but if you're unbound you may as well take whatever! If any of this got FAQ'd it's OK to make fun of me

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

bessantj posted:

So I can summon a demon of some sort once a turn? I really have to look into the summoning stuff. Also surprised that Emperor's Children can be quite good in shooting and melee at the same time.

You can summon demons with any character who doesn't move on their turn. So potentially more than one per turn.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

bessantj posted:

The rules are in the Daemons codex. Technically every CHAOS CHARACTER can summon a Daemon unit every turn. Then a Master of Possession can summon another with a psychic power.

Honestly summoning is pretty lame and it's only easily abused if you're playing with PL instead of points.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Would be nice to see the summoning rules get a rework. I love the image of a Chaos Knight being a walking hellmouth, but that doesn't get you very far in the current rules.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I honestly think summoning rules will sadly go. The argument will be if you want to use Daemons and CSM they need to be souped in.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
AoS putting limitations on summoning by making it an expected part of the game, and having it cost resources with bespoke faction rules for gaining it was one of its better ideas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd turn summoning into a better version of deepstrike or something. Let daemons pop up out of reserves next to characters on a 4+, simplify the whole system.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just make summoning super powerful, gently caress it, who gives a poo poo.

Avatar leaks, sick: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldar/comments/sdjlpk/leaked_avatar_pics_he_got_options/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any rumors of new genestealers on the horizon? I want some for my GSC army, but the current models look really old compared to the hybrids.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

There are no rumors of new GSC as far as I know, and tbh with the codex just being released the window is gone for any announcements of such.

Rumors say next up after all the Tau and Eldar stuff is CSM, then World Eaters, Squats in some format, and Imperial Guard. I’m leaving something out but not GSC.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m talking purestrains though, the kind that Tyranids can also take.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tyranids are definitely getting something but at this point no one knows what that is

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What did I just get myself into? lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He's got a motherfucking Wailing Doom Axe now! :rock:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

A lifetime of pain. Welcome and enjoy!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

An army that you should build very, very slowly, as money and time permit, and if you ever get the urge to start a second one, get one with super low model counts, like Custodes (or, for synergy, Knights!).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

An army that you should build very, very slowly, as money and time permit, and if you ever get the urge to start a second one, get one with super low model counts, like Custodes (or, for synergy, Knights!).

I can assure you my wife will help ensure a slow build. lol

I really wish the rules didn’t have that special synergy bonus, because I was thinking of wanting to have like a combined guard and space marine set up, granted players can just all agree to waive the rule in the end anyway, so it’s not like I can’t have it anyhow.

Custodes would be cool as I loved a lot of If The Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device, so there is an odd sense of nostalgia. lol

For a Zenos faction I would say I’m going for Orks (if I ever do), just because I love how Batshit crazy they are and silly, as it’s nice change in tone from the usual grim dark.

Koopa Kid posted:

A lifetime of pain. Welcome and enjoy!

Thanks!

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Helpful additions to this: a half-decent pair of clippers and some poster/blue tac for testing fit/assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I’m talking purestrains though, the kind that Tyranids can also take.

Lol I don’t know how I misread that, sorry.

Really don’t know on that front but I have heard nothing.