Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Winged Foot Golf Club just outside New York City in Westchester County, NY was the site of Phil Mickelson's most famous collapse. In the 2006 U.S. Open, Phil was in the final group and had a 1 shot lead going into the 72nd hole. He missed the fairway leading to a double bogey and gifted Geoff Ogilvy his only major.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6d-10pjcEE

https://www.usopen.com/

Air Times (ET)
Thursday
7:30am-2pm Golf Channel
2-5pm NBC
5-7pm Peacock

Friday
7:30-9:30am Peacock
9:30am-4pm Golf Channel
4-7pm NBC

Saturday
9-11am Peacock
11am-7:30pm NBC

Sunday
8-10am Peacock
10am-12pm Golf Channel
12-6pm NBC

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday ET)
1 8:07 AM Collin Morikawa Justin Thomas Tiger Woods
10 8:07 AM* Rory McIlroy Adam Scott Justin Rose
1 1:16 PM Bryson DeChambeau Dustin Johnson Tony Finau
1 1:27 PM Phil Mickelson Paul Casey Jon Rahm

Odds (Ladbrokes as of 8am ET Monday)
Dustin Johnson 15/2
Jon Rahm 10/1
Justin Thomas 14/1
Rory McIlroy 14/1
Xander Schauffele 16/1
Collin Morikawa 18/1
Bryson DeChambeau 20/1
Webb Simpson 25/1
Daniel Berger 28/1
Hideki Matsuyama 28/1
Patrick Cantlay 28/1
Tony Finau 28/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Tyrell Hatton
DJExile: Justin Rose
torgeaux: Tommy Fleetwood
Anno: Jason Day
mattfl: Bubba Watson
Kirios: Adam Scott
Dr. Capco: Matthew Wolff
BCRock: Tiger Woods
Kameh: Phil Mickelson
Mcqueen: Matthew Fitzpatrick

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the tournament winner was one of the top 4 favorites: DJ, Rahm, JT, and Rory.

Also you can pick Tiger for the pool but I didn't because he missed the cut here in 2006 and hasn't played great lately.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

[throws dart at wall]

Uh... Justin Rose!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fleetwood.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit thought about switching to Tyrrell Hatton but backed off. He's totally gonna win the pool now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 14, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll take JDay

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubba has his head right lately so I'll stick with him. Gotta rep the Ping driver crew!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The disrespect to Rahm in the app

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Screw it he's been playing well - give me Adam Scott.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfx86KMkBy0

This is an awesome video overview of the course. Those greens, just loving perfect.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Phil poking fun at himself in the Callaway commercials about his 2006 debacle at this course is pretty funny, I’m surprised they got him to do that.

The weather should be just about perfect. I’m a couple hours further upstate than Winged Foot and I’m probably playing every day for the next week or more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Phil poking fun at himself in the Callaway commercials about his 2006 debacle at this course is pretty funny, I’m surprised they got him to do that.

Phil seems wonderfully self-aware these days and more power to him for that.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'll take Wolff

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The US Open is the only major I ever watch, I love watching these top golfers struggle. That and the Open Championship when the weather gets lovely. It tests different interstiting things then like the FedEx Cup stuff.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Give me Tiger so I can give back some of this money I won.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm pretty indifferent to Reed and his dumb shenanigans he gets up to, but dunking on him like this will always be funny to me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LionYeti posted:

The US Open is the only major I ever watch, I love watching these top golfers struggle. That and the Open Championship when the weather gets lovely. It tests different interstiting things then like the FedEx Cup stuff.

Well to be fair, the BMW Championship a few weeks ago had Rahm and DJ shoot -4 and Rahm won the playoff with that crazy putt. Only 5 people were under par for the tournament. But this was the FedEx Cup event sandwiched between DJ's -30 at the Northern Trust and the Tour Championship where DJ shot -11 and Schauffele shot -15 so it's definitely not typical but you could tell it was set up like a typical US Open and it was great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gently caress it I’m changing my pick to Hatton. If anyone wants Reed they can take him

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The closest comparable tournament we’ve had is the BMW Championship which players said was set up like a US Open. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the top 25 finishers won here.

https://twitter.com/golf_com/status/1305570834120146944?s=21

Conveniently, that includes top 4 betting favorites. Hitting the fairway will be at a premium, so it’s conceivable that if Tiger takes less than driver off the tee, he could perform well since he’s the best iron player of all time and still says “5 iron down I’ll take on anyone.” He finished T51 at BMW but that wasn’t as important to him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

Give me Tiger so I can give back some of this money I won.
FML I went to the trouble of looking up Tiger’s performance in 2006 but didn’t see that was the first major after his dad passed away. He won the British Open a month later.

I should’ve picked Tiger. :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hnnnggggghhhh :flashfap:

also that needs to be the new standard of measurement for rough growth

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tee times are out, looks like early Thursday has the best groups:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

oh god drat those rule

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think I'm more hyped for this than the PGA Championship. I like the track a lot more here.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Well to be fair, the BMW Championship a few weeks ago had Rahm and DJ shoot -4 and Rahm won the playoff with that crazy putt. Only 5 people were under par for the tournament. But this was the FedEx Cup event sandwiched between DJ's -30 at the Northern Trust and the Tour Championship where DJ shot -11 and Schauffele shot -15 so it's definitely not typical but you could tell it was set up like a typical US Open and it was great.

Yeah if the Majors are the true test of the best golfers in the world they need to be challenging.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm no fan of the par or worse to win a tournament. Put the best golfers on a muni, the best golfer still wins, even if it's at -45.

On the contrary, courses made crazy penal don't test the best golfer, they test who can play a certain type of conservative golf, not the best golf. Yeah, penal rough makes fairways more valuable, but taking away a long players advantage isn't rewarding a better golfer. Putting holes in pin locations that will not hold an approach, or greens so fast that putts are all lag putts?

Tougher rougher, faster greens, tough pin locations all make sense. The US Open has been stupid about it in the last ten years.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
GIMME MICKELSON

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Another nonexistent day of productivity in our capitalist nightmare. Excellent.

Matthew Fitzpatrick is the pick.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What odds would someone have to give you to bet Phil to win? I'm not forking over a dollar until we're approaching like +50000.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1306375784437886982

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 17, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You have until the first tee time at 6:50am to get your pick in for the pool or if you want to change it!

This is the best overview of the course I’ve seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWl3FJN4ITg

The NBC USGA music is the best. GET HYPE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jZeu58l-A

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
The Fried Egg interview with Gil Hanse and Geoff Ogilvy, set to drone footage.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't know how you guys feel about him but EAL posted a fantastic breaking 90 video for Winged Foot. Great look into the course conditions for the weekend (we may have a second massacre at Winged Foot on our hands).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pretty good featured groups

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just now on GC: “We’re gonna have full coverage of Tiger’s preparation once he gets on property”

Unironically want dat warmup coverage. :getin:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Boss on vacation for the next 2 days so that means nothing but smoooooth golf watching all day!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I could’ve gotten a winning score of -1 or higher at -145. Should’ve backed up the truck on that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: NBC Golf Channel and the United States Golf Association are proud to present a national championship :siren:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, Jordan's second shot looked fine, until it caught the wrong slope and almost rolled off the front of the green lol

Do we have a SA Golf discord or anything where you guys wanna chat about the golf today or anything?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Wow, Jordan's second shot looked fine, until it caught the wrong slope and almost rolled off the front of the green lol

Do we have a SA Golf discord or anything where you guys wanna chat about the golf today or anything?
The SAS discord, if anyone even posts there, doesn't have a golf channel. What's wrong with posting here? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The SAS discord, if anyone even posts there, doesn't have a golf channel. What's wrong with posting here? :colbert:

I like real time interaction lol

Nice shot by Tiger there and even better one by Justin