Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

v1ld posted:

Been using Geforce Now for a few days and just discovered this thread. It's pretty great for being able to keep playing your games while you travel - which I am for the next 6-8 weeks. Using your existing games and supporting cloud saves is a killer feature for me.

CP 2077 is running well with most everything maxed out, and RT in particular turned all the way up - including Lighting at Psycho to enable RT Global Illumination. Plays well other than some skips when zooming around on the bike where maybe their encoder isn't keeping up or something.

Settings I'm using for CP 2077: https://imgur.com/gallery/x0ETpUE These are far higher than I expected to be able to set.

How bad is the bandwidth usage gonna be? Need to ask the folks I'm going to be staying with what their bandwidth plans are.
On GFN the default "balanced" quality is 32 Mbps@1080p, which uses about 10 gb/hr, but you can crank it up to 50 Mbps@1080p which uses 15 gb/hr. If you select custom quality you can manually adjust the resolution & bitrate to whatever you want and it'll tell you the expected data usage for your settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

On GFN the default "balanced" quality is 32 Mbps@1080p, which uses about 10 gb/hr, but you can crank it up to 50 Mbps@1080p which uses 15 gb/hr. If you select custom quality you can manually adjust the resolution & bitrate to whatever you want and it'll tell you the expected data usage for your settings.

Yeah I went from 32 to 50 on my iPad and I couldn't really tell the difference TBH.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I meant to post this a few days ago but Stadia and GFN have workarounds for iOS.

It seems to work ok? GFN complains about not having a game pad but there are on screen controls that would work in a pinch.

I haven't tried the Stadia version yet but I'm gonna assume its the same.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just got provisioned a Shadow and it’s working pretty well so far. I haven’t tried playing cyberpunk or anything like that but it’s doing well with Outer Wilds and a very fancy modded Minecraft client with a bunch of shaders and all the settings turned up. I’ve also done some batch processing in Lightroom on it and it’s pretty fast compared to my MacBook Pro.

There’s very little input lag while in game but I’m a little skeptical of Discord voice chats- I’ve just been using a secondary device instead.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm finally using GFN with my 13" laptop screen away from home and CP 2077 looks fantastic at 1080p with RTX turned up. Looks a lot better than when I was testing it on a 34" 3440x1440 screen at home. So good that my motivation to scrounge for a 3080 when I get back just dropped - given the very few games I'm interested in using RTX for, GFN makes a lot of sense.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Monster Hunter Rise hype has me wanting to play World again though nowhere near my PC. No problem, let's fire up GeForce Now ... oh. Capcom's entire library is unavailable on GFN. :argh:

Maybe a good time to try out Shadow.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

v1ld posted:

Monster Hunter Rise hype has me wanting to play World again though nowhere near my PC. No problem, let's fire up GeForce Now ... oh. Capcom's entire library is unavailable on GFN. :argh:

They just rolled out a bunch of clients, I was slated to get access in February but I got it last week; so far it seems to run well. I've played a bit of both MHW and DMCV on it and I don't have any complaints, though I'm not like, a TrueStyle DMC player or anything so take that with a grain of salt.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Good to know, thanks.

MH World is not on PSNow either, looks like Capcom doesn't like streaming. How dumb.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

v1ld posted:

If you want to play Monster Hunter World you have to go off the beaten path with cloud gaming services like Vortex, Boosteroid, or I guess Shadow. There are no Capcom games available on Stadia either, probably because Capcom is pursuing their own cloud gaming path; RE7 on Switch actually runs in the cloud. RE7 is also the only Capcom game available on Luna.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still have shadow but I’m not super sure about it yet. The storage space seems so small and having to install things is kinda a pain.

It’s nice for games that you can’t normally stream though that’s for sure.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Think I'm going to pass on streaming MH World for now. Shadow seems flexible, but a bunch more setup than I want for a few hours of Monster Hunter over the long weekend.

I'm also in one of their "Explorer" states right now so. But it's very cool they clearly show you where their service is likely to be weak. Looks like a cool service, especially for playing modded or emulated games.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

It's a big week for Stadia because they are finally rolling out state share which they've been talking about since before Stadia even launched.

quote:

We're excited that State Share, the newest Stadia Enhanced Feature, is launching on January 20th across the entire HITMAN - World of Assassination trilogy. Capture a playable slice of a game and share that mission instantly with friends to try for themselves from the start. So you’re ready on launch day, here are our tips & tricks for how to use State Share.

We’ll keep an eye out, but be sure to title your posts here on r/Stadia (and elsewhere) with the specific HITMAN game that your game state is captured from! Players are required to own the specific game that a state is captured from in order to play.

Jump into HITMAN 1, 2 or 3 on Stadia and play any mission or create your own custom mission.

Anytime during the mission or at the mission complete screen, take a capture by pressing F12 on a keyboard OR the capture button on a Stadia Controller OR the mobile touch gamepad.

After you exit the game, use the message that's shown to jump to the "Captures & game states" library.

Click a capture that has a game state (it'll have the State Share icon in the corner).

Click “Share” to generate a link and give it to friends, post online, etc. Anyone who gets your link can see your capture and play the game state. Sharing is not yet supported in the Stadia app. Be sure to leave a note wherever you are sharing the link indicating which HITMAN game or expansion pack your shared state is captured from!

Click "Play" if you want to have another go at that mission yourself.

On Launch day, share your game states with us in the comments below!
Both GFN and Stadia will soon be available on new LG Smart TV's without any additional hardware (besides the controller).

GFN's rolling out to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Australia

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1356324379873968129

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"We're not gonna kill off Stadia!"

[cue music]

Google kills off Stadia

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haha I just came to post this

Lib and let die posted:

"We're not gonna kill off Stadia!"

[cue music]

Google kills off Stadia

Also this lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
And there's the final nail, confirming the story: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1356331925431066628

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1356338465219207181?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ha!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I think it always bears repeating that Google couldn't sell a streaming service during a pandemic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shadow is having some issues.

https://shadow.tech/blog/news/a-new-beginning-in-sight-for-shadow

It doesn’t seem like it’s going to be around for much longer in its current form. I can’t imagine how much money they are bleeding every month.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Welp, guess it's time to start socking away money for a ps5. PC gaming has been fun, but I'm not interested in maintaining a windows box.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been using GFN a lot more recently and my biggest gripe is the UI and how long it takes to get into games sometimes.

It works great when I’m in game but getting there seems like a slog sometimes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Welp

https://gizmodo.com/cloud-gaming-platform-shadow-has-filed-for-bankruptcy-1846441660

quote:

Cloud Gaming Platform Shadow Has Filed for Bankruptcy, a 'Victim of Its Success'

Joanna Nelius
Yesterday 6:30PM

Image: Shadow
The company behind the cloud gaming platform Shadow has filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. and receivership in France, according to 9to5Google. Shadow recently posted an update to its blog confirming that it was undergoing a “reorganization” to get rid of the debt it had amassed building its cloud gaming platform in several countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Don't worry, there's an investor lined up:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-03-08-cloud-gaming-firm-blade-seeking-investment-after-filing-for-bankruptcy posted:

Omdia analyst George Jijiashvili notes on Twitter that Octave KLaba, founder of OVHcloud, has stated his intention to buy Blade and its Shadow service through his investment fund.

However, Klaba apparently plans to focus on developing "European alternative to Office365 [and] G-Suite" rather than building up the gaming service.

Oh. Well, I guess it only makes sense that if you have too many new customers, you should just leave your market and compete directly with Microsoft and Google in the Office productivity space.