Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

It isn't extremely good, I threw it together on the cheap which is why it's kind of pathetic that my local cineplexes tend to be even worse. Even a cheap 4K TV is fine, the only significant perks your common theaters have left is screen size and perhaps audio.

I mean the big thing is the isolating aspect of it- you're there to see the movie, you don't have another option over on the next channel or in another browser tab, you might look at your phone but doing that is discourteous, etc. At home there are always distractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
sure is a lot of backlash to the big HBO Max move, huh

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1336108590495637505
https://twitter.com/brooksbarnesNYT/status/1336089756527050752

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Nolan statement is pure comedy

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1336109484113092608?s=20

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

in an ideal world, WB would have given everyone ample advance notice, but a lot of the issue here is that theatrical exhibition has been the primary business model for Hollywood as long as it's existed, and that has engendered some pretty deep denial about just how hosed that business model is going to be for a while. yes, there's a vaccine coming, I still don't think theater attendance will get back to anything approaching pre-pandemic levels until well into 2022

also, WB gave Nolan everything he asked for with Tenet even though it guaranteed they'd lose hundreds of millions on it, he ended up giving them a handy data point against theatrical-only releases anytime soon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Their existence prevented me from watching movies when they are released at home, instead I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money to go to a local cineplex with garbage 2K digital projectors with worse visual quality than my own drat projector setup.

Not everyone lives near a fancy boutique cinema.

This is a whirlwind of contradictory statements.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barry Convex posted:

in an ideal world, WB would have given everyone ample advance notice, but a lot of the issue here is that theatrical exhibition has been the primary business model for Hollywood as long as it's existed, and that has engendered some pretty deep denial about just how hosed that business model is going to be for a while. yes, there's a vaccine coming, I still don't think theater attendance will get back to anything approaching pre-pandemic levels until well into 2022

also, WB gave Nolan everything he asked for with Tenet even though it guaranteed they'd lose hundreds of millions on it, he ended up giving them a handy data point against theatrical-only releases anytime soon

yeah Nolan being a huge chode about Tenet's theatrical release directly contributed to this, but it makes sense that he would continue to be a huge chode about it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I mean in what world does Nolan go 'oh wow yea I guess my insane insistence that people die to see my stupid movie ~properly in theaters~ really became like the iconic example of how obsolete theaters have become to tons of Americans, my b'? Of course he's gonna cry and and whine about it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

it's kinda curious that the people lashing out at WB for allegedly killing theaters are treating it as though WW84 and their 2021 slate were HBO Max exclusives, when they explicitly aren't.

maybe this is naive of me, but if your implicit assumption in attacking this move is that the exclusivity window is the only real competitive advantage theaters have over home viewing, that kind of reflects a lack of faith in the supposedly sacrosanct and magical theatrical experience, doesn't it?

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 8, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barry Convex posted:

it's kinda curious that the people lashing out at WB for allegedly killing theaters are treating it as though WW84 and their 2021 slate were HBO Max exclusives, when they explicitly aren't.

maybe this is naive of me, but if you're framing it as though the exclusivity window is the only real competitive advantage theaters have over home viewing, that kind of reflects a lack of faith in the theatrical experience, doesn't it?

Nolan is super patronizing about film; he knows the objective best way to watch a movie and the dumb plebes who buy tickets don't so you can only have his movies play The Right Way so that they don't have an inferior experience and you ought to thank Christopher Nolan The Film Knower for his guidance you mindless sheep

I love going to theaters and I think the theatrical experience is worth saving but there's definitely a particular kind of Film Guy who get this way to the extreme and Nolan is their poster child, he just happens to be able to bail it out by making good movies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barry Convex posted:

maybe this is naive of me, but if your implicit assumption in attacking this move is that the exclusivity window is the only real competitive advantage theaters have over home viewing, that kind of reflects a lack of faith in the supposedly sacrosanct and magical theatrical experience, doesn't it?

I mean obviously I have issues with how WB handled this, giving people barely any notice and all is rough and I do have sympathy for people in actual theater jobs (like, I mean, the dude scooping popcorn and poo poo not Mr AMC) because it sucks poo poo to just be in a dying industry and all, but in Nolan's case it's pure classism. He's mr film boy and he knows that film on the big screen is the only real way to enjoy a movie, but us pathetic plebes are too stupid to know that so obviously we'll flock to the ~easy way~ even though it's worse and thus a great injustice is happening to movie theaters.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

for what it's worth, while the pandemic has clearly hastened a long-term shift towards streaming that would have continued regardless, I don't know if WB's model is the exact one the industry will adopt as a standard going forward post-pandemic. I think we'll probably see more of a mix of films that take the WB approach of a simultaneous theatrical/streaming release, simultaneous theatrical/PVOD releases, and films that release to streaming/PVOD/VOD after a much shorter window of theatrical exclusivity than the pre-COVID standard (on top of streaming exclusives, obviously). but in the long run, who the hell knows

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barry Convex posted:

for what it's worth, while the pandemic has clearly hastened a long-term shift towards streaming that would have continued regardless, I don't know if WB's model is the exact one the industry will adopt as a standard going forward post-pandemic. I think we'll probably see more of a mix of films that take the WB approach of a simultaneous theatrical/streaming release, simultaneous theatrical/PVOD releases, and films that release to streaming/PVOD/VOD after a much shorter window of theatrical exclusivity than the pre-COVID standard (on top of streaming exclusives, obviously). but in the long run, who the hell knows

yea this was less of 'the villain WB murdered movie theaters' and more 'WB, perhaps lacking in some grace and empathy, put Old Yeller out of his misery faster than we expected'. I agree I think those two options will become the norm, nobody's going to outright cut theaters out of the loop but the 'ONLY IN THEATERS' label is gonna become even more meaningless than it does now, because it's just gonna mean 'yea like, I dunno, couple months before we put it on Amazon to rent'.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah Nolan being a huge chode about Tenet's theatrical release directly contributed to this, but it makes sense that he would continue to be a huge chode about it
You'd think the guy was sabotaging his own theatrical releases by making the dialogue mixed so low your best option is to wait to watch it at home with subtitles.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

it's obviously lovely on a human level, but from WB's perspective, it makes total sense why they didn't inform people in advance. with all the parties they'd have had to renegotiate with, it would have been impossible to prevent this decision from leaking out, and there's a very real chance that the agencies and talent would have coordinated and been able to organize enough of a backlash behind the scenes to kill it. They could still try, but they don't have the same leverage now that WB has publicly committed to the strategy.

basically, Kilar et al's thinking here seems to be that this is going to be a major loss leader to drive HBO Max subscriptions anyway, might as well just rip the band-aid off and then pay the people you've pissed off whatever you need to. as for what the lasting impact will be at WB and beyond, who knows

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's possible that was their strategy but I'm also willing to believe a certain ineptitude given how ATT-run Warner has been doing so far. This change is probably necessary but they handled it bad.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This isn't just about Nolan, or even the pandemic at this point, but about contracts.

All these stars, partner studios, film guilds, etc had contracts with WB that involved the films being released on theaters and box office revenue, in the form of payouts, royalties, and all that. WB will likely claim that they are sticking to their original contracts by having the movies being released theatrically for a month, knowing well that there's still a pandemic going on, and that those films are going to be BO flops. So they get out of doing payouts for these films, while hovering up subscription money for their exclusive service that they own from top to bottom. That they didn't give warning or discussed this move with their partners makes their intentions pretty clear.

Or at least they think they will, because WB is likely going to learn very soon that sending 100-200 million dollar films to streaming is not very profitable, unless you're in the investor scam business like Netflix.

As usual people like Nolan, the same thing with Spielberg and his beef with Netflix, would be better served in their arguments if they dropped the "theater magic" and just straight up said that these moves to streaming are what they are, a way of movie studios not paying people for their work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the big thing is the isolating aspect of it- you're there to see the movie, you don't have another option over on the next channel or in another browser tab, you might look at your phone but doing that is discourteous, etc. At home there are always distractions.

Or one can exercise some self control, not that I agree that a cinema is free of distraction. It's a public place, people whip their phones out and rustle through bags of food all the time, at least at home you're mostly in control over the watching environment.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is a whirlwind of contradictory statements.

No it isn't?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Electronico6 posted:

This isn't just about Nolan, or even the pandemic at this point, but about contracts.

All these stars, partner studios, film guilds, etc had contracts with WB that involved the films being released on theaters and box office revenue, in the form of payouts, royalties, and all that. WB will likely claim that they are sticking to their original contracts by having the movies being released theatrically for a month, knowing well that there's still a pandemic going on, and that those films are going to be BO flops. So they get out of doing payouts for these films, while hovering up subscription money for their exclusive service that they own from top to bottom. That they didn't give warning or discussed this move with their partners makes their intentions pretty clear.

Or at least they think they will, because WB is likely going to learn very soon that sending 100-200 million dollar films to streaming is not very profitable, unless you're in the investor scam business like Netflix.

One of the pieces on this brings up the point that WB has preemptively paid off the cast/producers of WW1984 because they know that's a big ticket movie and they want a sequel to it so couldn't afford to burn them, and they're not offering that sweetheart deal to others productions effected the same way

Also that WB gave all these properties to their own faltering platform instead of shopping them around for the best price, and in some cases actively blocked them from going to platforms that had offered better deals

People awfully quick to side with the poor defenseless mega corp who had their arm twisted by the arrogant movie man

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

I do not understand how anyone takes Christopher Nolan seriously anymore after he literally told audiences to go die at the theater for his movie during a pandemic.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Loveshaft posted:

I do not understand how anyone takes Christopher Nolan seriously anymore after he literally told audiences to go die at the theater for his movie during a pandemic.

I had a big discussion about what Nolan said about HBO Max the other day with a few other filmmaking friends. I think it's cute that there are still film people who believe fully that Nolan's all about films being shown in theaters and that the experience is the sole reason for why he wants films in theaters rather than the 20% profit participation of the gross he receives from theatrical.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Christopher Nolan list a lot of his right to complain about HBO Max now that I'm reminded that Tenet premiered in loving Fortnight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hbo max needs to hit Roku and I'll sub

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I subbed to HBO Max yesterday and today I got Cyberpunk and it came with a code for a free 30 days of HBO Max for new subscribers. I'm owned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Christopher Nolan list a lot of his right to complain about HBO Max now that I'm reminded that Tenet premiered in loving Fortnight.

Did it really? I was waiting for that but I never heard any follow up

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Huh. Looks like it didn't? Nolan was on the game awards and the host made a joke about how it premiered in Fortnight, but looking it up all I'm seeing is news about the trailer being a premiere.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Fortnite showed previous Nolan films such as Inception and Interstellar to promote the release of Tenet. Tenet itself did not premiere in the game.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Villeneuve is very mad.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1337202568955498499

He's not wrong that it was lovely of Kilar et al not to give more advance notice, but I continue to think a lot of people with some combination of emotions/egos/money invested in the theatrical exhibition model are greatly underestimating just how long a return to pre-COVID "normal" audience behavior might take in the US. not sure exactly which "science" tells Villeneuve that "everything should be back to a new normal next fall," but I sure wouldn't count on that given how inadequate basically every American institution has proven to be at dealing with the pandemic

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t even know which sources are telling him that we’ll be back to normal next fall - Dr. Fauci, who himself has not been doing a great job, estimates we won’t be going back into movie theaters until early 2022 at the absolute earliest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t even know which sources are telling him that we’ll be back to normal next fall - Dr. Fauci, who himself has not been doing a great job, estimates we won’t be going back into movie theaters until early 2022 at the absolute earliest.

Entirely too many people drank the kool-aid. I had to listen to multiple people in management talk about how it's going down already because of Pfizer and that Biden is going to take all the credit and how dare he and yadda yadda my work is full of chuds

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Len posted:

Entirely too many people drank the kool-aid. I had to listen to multiple people in management talk about how it's going down already because of Pfizer and that Biden is going to take all the credit and how dare he and yadda yadda my work is full of chuds

Tangentially related, but I remember when the whole lockdown was first happening in March (also this is Canada I should mention), the CEO of the start-up my friend was working at was making serious proclamations and bets that the whole thing (i.e. covid) would be done in just a few weeks, guaranteed.

Now it's almost a year later and we're going back in to a lockdown because of rising cases, and our rising daily caseload is like a blip compared to almost all states (per capita or absolute, doesn't really matter).

Some people really hang their hopes on it just being a dream and believing everything will go back to normal any day now. Lots of managers convinced they can go back to being in the office and watching over their employees in person any day now, lots of CEOs convinced it will be over and they can go back to doing business any day now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/the-covid-19-stimulus-bill-would-make-illegal-streaming-a-felony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This is definitely going to be abused by stream snipers.