Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
here we can talk about furniture, share pics of furniture, ask questions abut furniture, etc

we're thinking about buying this coffee table but cant agree on which style it is, i say it's brutalism because it seems to fit the definitions i've found, but then i look at brutalist furniture and the stuff looks different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I don't know if that piece itself would be considered modern, but it wouldn't be out of place in a modern style room.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

There are arguments for and against that being a brutalist piece.

In my personal opinion it doesnt express enough visual weight to be considered truly brutalist, and the only component that arguably could be considered brutalist is the concrete portion of the base. The curviness and mixed materials give it a sense of whimsy, which is very un-brutalism.

I guess the real question is why do you like it and does the definition really matter?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i dunno why i like it, my wife said she thought it was kinda ugly but agreed it would look good in the living room. figuring out which style it's in (and maybe which year it's from) is just curiosity

but yea it does seem whimsical rather than imposing. whimsalism

anything is better than this ikea piece of poo poo which ive come to despise

baw fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 15, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Glass tables are annoying, use something you won't gently caress up accidentally or trip on in the dark and is less likely to break things that you drop onto it.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Xaintrailles posted:

Glass tables are annoying, use something you won't gently caress up accidentally or trip on in the dark and is less likely to break things that you drop onto it.

I had a sibling throw a large block of legos at me in anger as a child, which I supremely dodged, and it smashed a glass table, for which my siblings allowance was repurposed to pay for. Suck poo poo.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's actual mid-century modern, west elms version of it is a little safe and only leans into one general pallette of what was happening with modernism in the 50's -70's
It's a little bit Niemeyer but kind of clumsy. I'm sure someone who has studied architecture will be able to point out why it's not at all like him and share who it is closer to.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

It's actual mid-century modern, west elms version of it is a little safe and only leans into one general pallette of what was happening with modernism in the 50's -70's
It's a little bit Niemeyer but kind of clumsy. I'm sure someone who has studied architecture will be able to point out why it's not at all like him and share who it is closer to.

well dang with some googling that makes sense

just found out that it is marble rather than concrete, and the brown part is wood rather than steel. so i'm not super enthusiastic about it now

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm on a mission to make some furniture.

Very hyped to have a hand-made dinner table. So far, I've purchased the wood for the top.

1.5 inch thick, 10ft long and 44 inches wide totals made up of walnut boards.

In the end, it'll probably be 8ft long, 3 ft wide, and 1 1/4 inches thick or less.

I'm working on the design for the legs. Nothing set in stone yet.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I recently replaced my coffee table with one that lets you lift one side of the surface up a foot or so. It's great for eating on the couch and I am happy with my purchase. :mayo:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

all of my furniture is cheap and old like me

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

baw posted:

here we can talk about furniture, share pics of furniture, ask questions abut furniture, etc

we're thinking about buying this coffee table but cant agree on which style it is, i say it's brutalism because it seems to fit the definitions i've found, but then i look at brutalist furniture and the stuff looks different

I have no idea what to call this table, other than something just itching to injure toes and shins. I'm just glad something called "furniture thread" is actually about furniture.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a big clam chair. :backtowork:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If that big curve is marble then that thing weighs like five hundred pounds.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have the pine version of that black table you currently have, op. i agree that it is not great and you should look to trade up with a big swirl of rock and glass

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Man, I really like this rug.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's a nice rug but it would look better on a wall

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m not an engineer but the circled point below seems like a bad idea.

I feel like a kid could push hard enough on the glass on that side to tip it towards them?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Not much to add beside that is a really cute table and rug. :allears:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
My recent furniture obsession is the pouf. I need several poufs in my life.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a nice rug but it would look better on a wall

Russian bot spotted

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Logging onto Habbo Hotel to beg for furni

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I feel like a kid could push hard enough on the glass on that side to tip it towards them?

generally, stone is denser than children. i think the risk here is low

baw
Nov 5, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

we just have three cats so even if they could technically team up and try to tip over the new table im gonna ask them very nicely not to do that

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Das Boo posted:

Man, I really like this rug.

its from ikea lol. i had one, but they stopped making it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
table no. rug yes

RVWinkle posted:

My recent furniture obsession is the pouf. I need several poufs in my life.
https://i.imgur.com/3bokvfY.mp4

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I think its a weird ugly table and it will look dated in most surrounds unless youre like, Jackie Treehorn.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The_Continental posted:

I think its a weird ugly table and it will look dated in most surrounds unless youre like, Jackie Treehorn.

pls post a table that you like

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I really like this:

But own one of these:

E: the first is a Paul Evans that costs about 10k. The one I have is from IKEA and costs a bit less. I have a coffe table Iike as well, but cant photograph it right now. :)

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 16, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

generally, stone is denser than children. i think the risk here is low

You’ve clearly never had a toddler run full bore into you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you have clearly never met a stone other than pumice, the most effete of rocks

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The_Continental posted:

I really like this:

But own one of these:

E: the first is a Paul Evans that costs about 10k. The one I have is from IKEA and costs a bit less. I have a coffe table Iike as well, but cant photograph it right now. :)

oh dining room tables are another thing

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The first is a coffee table

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ok we saw the table in person and well, the wood part is cheap looking and i guess the whole thing is cheaper looking that i hoped. and smalle

so back to facebook marketplace

:negative:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

these all seem exquisitely tasteful op, i don't see a problem

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A glass top coffee table is a very bad idea. You'd bang your legs on it uncountable times. And extremely dangerous if it breaks.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm probably getting my own place next year which means goodbye to roommate furniture and furniture is loving expensive.

I think the table in the OP looks interesting which makes it compelling. OTOH, glass coffee tabletops are gross because anything you can see fingerprints on is gross.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thinking about buying a new bed frame with a big padded headboard since i work from bed for the first couple hours every morning (hungover)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
furniture sucks OP, its heavy andh ard to move and ya gotta move every year so the trick is to not get much furniture if you can help it. if you must, make sure it collapses and is easy to move else youll have to get your hunky friends to come big muscle time it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a moderate amount of furniture but none of it's worth looking at or talking about