Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

If you live on the west coast, at best your sky has looked like this recently:

I've been holed up with my SO in a tiny one bedroom in Seattle for months. Covid. Smoke. Friends beat up by cops, teargas in our house. We're deep in the poo poo, just like everyone reading this post.

Recently, my friend hit me up with one of the first truly encouraging pieces of news I've got all year. They work at a day center for unhoused people, and had just been given the go ahead by a local municipality to convert an old nursing/rehab facility into a full-service shelter! So we masked up and got to work.

To preemptively answer a question I had myself: I don't know exactly why the place closed, but a little googling suggests an answer:

I'm gonna level with you GBS, this is partially urbex and partially a person coping with a future in flux. I got some creepy pictures, and I'm not gonna pretend that the nursing home wasn't dank with primo ghost energy, but mostly I'm making this post because I'm sick of crying about poo poo in my basement apartment while my SO regresses from Switch to Wii to Gamecube in a sort of Nintendo-based coping fugue. He's a goon so i guess it will be funny if he sees this post, ily bb it doesn't matter how many times you restart this pikmin level.

The building was...normal enough at a glance, and ineffably sad and crypt-like.

I felt a little dumb for being relieved that the lobby was open, airy, and inviting. Whatever air filtration the facility used was still operational, so there was a weird negative space where the worst smells might have been. I wasn't complaining! My teeth and skin have felt chalky ever since the air quality went to poo poo, so the extra-crisp air of the facility was like a dry, sterile bath.

Walking the facility was an eerie, prescient experience. It had been vacated recently, arrested in time as a snapshot of this mutilated year of our lord, 2020. While inside, it was easy to feel as though the entire world was similarly abandoned.

There were little crumbs of the residents left behind, just enough to let you know they'd been there.

The floor plan doesn't really convey how sprawling this place is. I walked 5 miles just hauling commodes around. It's also unhelpful in every other way:

Some rooms had more legible stories than others, narratives of attentiveness or abandonment.

This was all incredibly sad and poignant but there was a motherfucking spooky basement to check out.

This is more like it! We were keenly on guard for any eloping grandparents or bombs. What we found was a depressing amount of soiled laundry, both personal and medical.

A weird spooky tunnel gave us pause:

The space in this photo required a person to crawl through on hands and knees. In the background is a full-sized door leading to a tunnel to the outside. The door was open. We theorized that this was how people were getting into the building to camp, which was a little funny given that we are converting it into a shelter. We shouted a few times to let any occupants know that we were in the basement, offering food and cigarettes. No takers.

Instead we found something significantly worse:

gently caress.

Anyway, this was day one. Our goal was to salvage medical equipment for a company that refurbishes such things. I'll be going back a bunch over the week to work on stuff, and I would love to shitpost with GBS about it. 2020 sucks peeballs and this is a way to not descend into abject alcoholism.

My next project will be consolidating electronics and beginning the process of clearing the rooms and offices of random (non-salvage) debris. I guess I'll keep this thread updated about it.

Feel free to post about any constructive poo poo you're doing in this hell year, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 10, 2014

Having worked on Census 2020 outreach for over a year it is nice to have a project even if 2020 dooms it! Hope this goes well, we need about 10,000 more places intended for the unhoused and I am amazed a municipality gave the authority to do that without the NIMBYs shutting it down. Kudos to your friends organization!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Party Time! Be excellent to each other.

I would wear gloves everywhere. Assume the bathroom surfaces and bedroom surfaces are all germy. Something can live for a couple weeks on hard surfaces so be careful. (Sorry I can't remember which germ it is rn.) 0ne very good thing is I didn't see carpet which is incredibly dirty and can't be sanitized.

That is a huge facility that could totally be made into an awesome place for unhoused people. Also I wasn't aware that there was a new more PC term for the homeless. I assume because it has less stigma attached.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Derpies posted:

Having worked on Census 2020 outreach for over a year it is nice to have a project even if 2020 dooms it! Hope this goes well, we need about 10,000 more places intended for the unhoused and I am amazed a municipality gave the authority to do that without the NIMBYs shutting it down. Kudos to your friends organization!

Yeah, the facility is in a part of town that is relatively NIMBY-free, fortunately. It's right on top of an arterial bus route and surrounded by lots of food and services, though the area itself is stigmatized for being dirty/dangerous.

Spinz posted:

I would wear gloves everywhere. Assume the bathroom surfaces and bedroom surfaces are all germy. Something can live for a couple weeks on hard surfaces so be careful. (Sorry I can't remember which germ it is rn.) 0ne very good thing is I didn't see carpet which is incredibly dirty and can't be sanitized.

That is a huge facility that could totally be made into an awesome place for unhoused people. Also I wasn't aware that there was a new more PC term for the homeless. I assume because it has less stigma attached.

Yes! We're all using latex gloves as well as thicker ones for protection against any sharp, biohazardous things. We also have a doctor on hand to identify any of the more obscure/fiddly bits of medical equipment and any medications we might find.

As far as terminology goes: I think plenty of people self-identify as 'homeless'. I like saying "unhoused people" because it makes it sound like an actionable issue, rather than a permanent description of a person, if that makes sense.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

One more thing the facility might have had a way of dispensing sanitizing/cleaning solution like a wall rack mounted system. It's possible that their sanitizing products might still be usable and that stuff's kind of hard to get a hold of, just something to consider. I have a gallon jug of concentrated solution for sanitizing from that type of facility and half a capful is more than I need for a spray bottle. It's going to last me a couple years.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Spinz posted:

One more thing the facility might have had a way of dispensing sanitizing/cleaning solution like a wall rack mounted system. It's possible that their sanitizing products might still be usable and that stuff's kind of hard to get a hold of, just something to consider. I have a gallon jug of concentrated solution for sanitizing from that type of facility and half a capful is more than I need for a spray bottle. It's going to last me a couple years.

Yeah, they left a ton of useful stuff behind. Half the fun of the project is picking out what we're gonna keep on hand for future guests and residents as well as staff.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007
Let's get clean and smart

Sounds like a constructive project and I both wish you luck and am looking forward to updates.

Also, elopement?!?!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Pillbug

"Elopement" is when someone usually someone with dementia, wanders off, and is at risk of harm.

This is a good thing you're doing here, OP. But after the place is habitable, please turn that one book right-side-up again.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Spinz posted:

Some of those products do have a shelf life, especially if exposed to UV, heads up.

The machine that automatically mixes stuff in a ratio is the best thing ever, though.

Otherwise make an account with Zep or someone?

I haven't done this stuff in a long time but I think generally you still need to clean first then sanitize.

Jasus Christ
Dec 3, 2019

I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

This is awesome, good luck on this project.

Somehow, I guess because of how this year has gone, I had to hold back tears reading your post.

Best of luck on this, I have no idea about how to do anything really, so no advice from me.

gleebster posted:

please turn that one book right-side-up again.

Please let us know also if this uncovers a hidden room.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2007

I am Nooner

Sitting Here posted:

any medications we might find.

uhhh, what youre supposed to do is mix any meds you find together, crush them all up and ingest.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Nooner posted:

uhhh, what youre supposed to do is mix any meds you find together, crush them all up and ingest.

Tripping balls on grandma's heart meds sounds like a hell of a time yeah

I'm headed up there in a bit so hopefully I'll have stuff to report back about!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Day two was a little less dramatic than day one. There are smarter and more buff people than me doing more important things. I got sent off into the patient rooms with my loadout of bins, a lot of gloves, and an audiobook. It's loving heaven.

I want to observe the negative space left by a person called Beverly. I assume this isn't like a HIPPA violation because even I don't know this person's full name, just deduced stuff while clearing the residual debris of her.

Her room was situated right by a nurse's station. She had a daughter who raised goats and felt bad about not writing more.

I have a lot of feelings about this sign on the mirror. It feels trite to type them out. Maybe you'll have your own feelings about it. I stood there for a while thinking about what it was like to be Beverly, seeing a stranger in the mirror, looking to those words for guidance. I thought about the conversation I had over the phone with my grandma the other day, and was grateful.

The more I looked around, the more I felt helplessly pissed at the former staff. Even this makeshift garbage bag window blind extender felt shoddy and lackadaisical.

In happier news, we relocated our mannequin friends from the basement! They seemed pleased to be reunited in more savory conditions. The tortured spectral wailing went away after that.

This weekend I will be leading a bunch of volunteers into smell hell:

This "bistro" was never properly cleared out. Whatever food is in there has been in there for a couple months. When you walk by, you get the sense that some sort of malevolent rot demon has put the very tip of its putrid dick in your nose and is begging you to let it hatefuck your olfactory receptors. I am weirdly hyped to go in, with the proper equipment.

It was a weirdly emotional day. I was overcome by a need to hold in my hand the comforting heft of a penis and anus.

(The following image is a penis and an anus. It's not work safe.)

https://imgur.com/a/S19BLot

More soon!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Gem

nightmare fuel imagining that resident lying on their own waste and scraping the wall

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

GL OP

Jasus Christ
Dec 3, 2019

I like to assume Kenny and Billy are also goats. Maybe Yvonne, too.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007
Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

Drink the Ensure, OP.

Iím also wondering whether Internal Threat refers to patients or staff or both. Or severe internal disturbance, like a crap attack from taco Tuesday.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gun Saliva

MoonshineWilly posted:

Drink the Ensure, OP.

Iím also wondering whether Internal Threat refers to patients or staff or both. Or severe internal disturbance, like a crap attack from taco Tuesday.

It could be those things, I suppose, but in my experience Code Orange usually refers to stuff like chemical spills, gas leaks, basically non-fire hazards that still warrant an emergency response of some sort.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005

Set Phasers to FUN!

Do you ďgetĒ to pocket any cool drugs you find?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

This thread makes me realize I still have a lot to be grateful for. Great pics op

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Jasus Christ posted:

I like to assume Kenny and Billy are also goats. Maybe Yvonne, too.

The twist is that the facility is actually a petting zoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do you “get” to pocket any cool drugs you find?

I suppose no one would stop me, but the ones I've found have all been boring. Just normal-rear end medical drugs, for helping people. ugh!

Spinz posted:

This thread makes me realize I still have a lot to be grateful for. Great pics op

Thanks! I feel really lucky to be helping out with this, but it's just a drop in the bucket. To get to the facility I go by hundreds of tents in encampments that have popped up all over the city. We have so much work to do, and projects like this are unfortunately just one tiny part of it but it's good to feel gratitude

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I wish you and your friends well in the conversion ! Cool pics also. Could be spookier and worse tbh. Guess nursing homes are just really depressing to begin with. Coulda been a funeral home ya know?

I'm assuming a shelter for the homeless? If not it should be a shelter for cats and dogs They can live in peace together and get into wacky animal situations !

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers

Top Cop

Get a proper electrical inspection from a licensed electrician. Check the main circuit breaker panel and the various wire runs. There is some crap old school stuff in older buildings out there that needs replacing for years now and does not get looked into until too late.

Grats on being a good human!

1redflag
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, be careful about demo in old facilities; even the floor tiles are made of asbestos.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Thank you for the words of advice friends. This project does have a reasonable budget and one of the things my friend is working on is scheduling all the requisite inspections and contractors. I believe some inspections have already been done, but there are still some large hurdles to getting the facility running as a homeless shelter.

Today we mostly talked about how to optimize the volunteer team this weekend, with a huge focus on covid safety. It's great that people want to help, and the place is big enough that several people could work without coming into close contact, but obviously the stakes are pretty high. Also, to be frank, these are upper-middleclass people who want to do a few hours of feelgood work. We need to have things streamlined to be as professional as possible. That demographic tends to have spare income for ongoing donations to homeless shelters and non-profits, so it's important to us that they feel like their time is being put to constructive use (because it is!).

I got the exciting job of inventorying all the furniture today! Wandered around listening to Harrow the Ninth on audiobook, counting dressers.

I didn't find much of interest, but I was intrigued by these random whiteboard scrawlings I didn't see yesterday.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I wish you and your friends well in the conversion ! Cool pics also. Could be spookier and worse tbh. Guess nursing homes are just really depressing to begin with. Coulda been a funeral home ya know?

I was a little sad when the facility turned out to not be a derelict sanitarium overrun by vengeful spirits tbh. I've got big "survives to the end of the horror film" energy, so I was prepared. On the bright side: we don't have to allocate any of the budget to ghostbusters.

I'm not normally moved by kitschy art, but I like this. Might relocate it to a public area.

Hopefully after this weekend I'll have some nice progress pics as well as more information about the next steps of the project. I am going to keep updating this thread, mostly for my own sanity, but if anyone else is doing something cool or inspirational, you should post about it too.

I did a pretty short day today. A few days in a row of moving around in the lingering smoke has me feeling sluggish, though I'm not sure if it's the smoke itself, the emotional component, or a combination of both. To toot my own horn a little, the nonprofit my friend works for is getting more insistent about possibly hiring me. I technically have a jobóat a hotel. Which is sort of like not having a job right now! So we'll see where that goes. It would be a very emotionally challenging gig (since I would be working with people coming to the shelter, who are often in very serious crises and it's sad as hell), but I'm feeling increasingly attached to this project. Who knows.

extra row of teeth
Apr 27, 2007

Float like a butterfly, sting like a Beerus

This thread honestly made me break down for a couple of minutes, OP. Lost my grandma in early 2018 after a 10 year long battle with dementia. We were very close, she was honestly a more stable mother figure than my actual mom.

In every single one of those rooms, there was a story. An individual, with an entire lifetime of unique experiences. A family member - some treasured, and some forgotten like used garbage. Itís sobering to think about.

Youíre doing a wonderful thing.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

extra row of teeth posted:

This thread honestly made me break down for a couple of minutes, OP. Lost my grandma in early 2018 after a 10 year long battle with dementia. We were very close, she was honestly a more stable mother figure than my actual mom.

In every single one of those rooms, there was a story. An individual, with an entire lifetime of unique experiences. A family member - some treasured, and some forgotten like used garbage. Itís sobering to think about.

Youíre doing a wonderful thing.

Losing someone to dementia is one of the most depressing things that can happen. Your gratitude for her care and stability is such a lovely record of who she was, though. I am glad you had her, and sorry you lost her in such a specifically painful way.

You can feel the weight of the stories leaning on this place, tbh. I don't really know what to do except think about them and know they were there.

We did find a small wooden box of photos with enough family info that we could possibly locate relatives. So that's something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

Down the Rabbit Hole.

Sitting Here posted:

I didn't find much of interest, but I was intrigued by these random whiteboard scrawlings I didn't see yesterday.

When you say you didn't see them yesterday, do you mean they weren't there or your eyes missed them? Because I hope it's the former and we have some spooky poo poo going on.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

sigher posted:

When you say you didn't see them yesterday, do you mean they weren't there or your eyes missed them? Because I hope it's the former and we have some spooky poo poo going on.

I do not recall them being there. But that's not all that abnormal for this place! We are presently having issues securing the building overnight, so people are able to get in and camp. It's pretty normal to come back in the morning and have stuff moved around or missing. I've cleared a couple sleeping spots while on garbage duty as well.

We're a little perplexed by some of the proclivities of our night friends. Taking our radios and big garbage bags made sense, but why make off with a fuckload of sticky note pads?!

1redflag
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Maybe they thought they were prescription pads?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost are only real if you believe. So, ignore all those floating flower pots and get to work!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

cats can have little a sunglasses, as a treat

Incredibly cool project OP, you're doing good work here. Looking forward to seeing progress pics as you go

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

The smoke has thinned from an apocalyptic mustard to a funereal gray. My bus skipped my stop, so I had to hoof it a ways to the facility. The road outside the former nursing home is a long, straight arterial that runs for a couple hundred blocks, connecting downtown Seattle to the northern sprawl.

Paradise.

Before I continue I'm going to introduce a few key people so I don't have to keep referring to them as the collective 'they'.

Bear: My longtime friend, managing this project for the nonprofit that is making this project possible. Describing her would require a whole dedicated thread.
Badger: Same role as Bear, has huge get poo poo done energy. I don't know her too well but the general vibe is "surly badass with a heart of gold".
Neurotic boss: does what it says on the box, only appears for brief intervals. He's the liaison to the city council.

So today when I turned up for duty, Bear informed me that I would be Grim Fandangoing around the facility. She needed a pixel hunter (her words). I was instructed to find toilet paper, cleaning supplies, errant cleaning rags, and the tiny key that we apparently need to open the paper towel dispensers. I also was tasked with scouting out usable bathrooms for the volunteers. This was basically permission to poke around the place at will and nudge through piles of stuff. We've temporarily put cleaning on hold since it makes more sense to tackle the big jobs when we've got the volunteers.

*clicks* nope no hidden keys

Cleaning supplies?? *clicks*

Nope, though perhaps useful for a different quest.

Okay this is obviously going to solve a future puzzle.

finally, a proper find! I brought this to Badger, who was ecstatic for mumbly reasons I couldn't fully parse.

That's more like it. In all, I fished out a bunch of perfectly good turbo-cleaners from the basement (and successfully located the relevant MSDS binders). I hadn't really spent much time down there after the first day, most because there's been so much to do topside. Bear, Badger, and Neurotic Manager were all clotted up in the office annoying each other, so after depositing my haul I decided to go back to the basement and poke around for that goddamned missing paper towel dispenser key.

The key is, alas, still missing, but did you know that video magazines are a thing??

Down in the basement laundry room, I noticed some pretty significant damage in the dryer ventilation. The dryers are functional so I assume this is safely isolated from the rest of the system (nerds: is that what those tags are for?), but not exactly a reassuring sight, given the overall state of the building. I don't want to make it sound worse than it isóthe place is really in decent condition, but it's obvious that many issues were left to go indefinitely unresolved, kicked down the line to be someone else's problem.

Another infuriating thing: I found, with minimal effort, detailed narcotics records and other sensitive patient data inexplicably sitting around the maintenance room. These were reported to Neurotic Manager immediately and are being handled appropriately.

Satisfyingly, I found an explanation for the damage by the dryers:

Well I'm glad they learned their lesson

Back up top, Badger had gotten (part of) the CCTV system up and running.

We had our longest, most animated conversation yet, which mostly consisted of me going "wow that's rad" and Badger going I loving RULE, I AM GODDAMN BRILLIANT, HOLY poo poo I AMAZE MYSELF. If it had been anyone else I think I would have been annoyed, but Badger is the embodiment of a laconic hard worker. She's the sort of person who you have to scold to sit down and have something to eat, ffs.

We finished the day by setting up for the volunteers, who will be coming tomorrow, under the supervision of Neurotic Manager. It'll be the first day that Bear and I won't be there (due to scheduling conflicts), and we're both pretty anxious about missing the first day of volunteers. They're going to do a great job, but I think Bear, Badger, and I have developed a pretty personal sense of ownership over this project. Neurotic Manager cornered me wanting to talk about the job offer: motherfucking facilities director. I have no idea if this is something I'm prepared for. I said I'd give it some thought. Honestly I don't think I'll take it, but the idea of not remaining involved with this facility somehow is making me feel increasingly bummed. Part of me doesn't really want the project to end.

Anyway, I guess I won't have much to post about until Saturday. Thanks to everyone who's reading along. This is my sanity right now.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 18, 2020

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Thank you for this thread, Iím enjoying it. Good luck on your next irl point and click adventure!

Perhaps you can order replacement paper towel dispenser keys?

Also, why not take the job? Seems like youíll know the facility inside and out after this.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Serendipitaet posted:

Thank you for this thread, Iím enjoying it. Good luck on your next irl point and click adventure!

Perhaps you can order replacement paper towel dispenser keys?

Also, why not take the job? Seems like youíll know the facility inside and out after this.

I think ordering a new key from the supplier is in order, yeah. I was really hyped to find that key, though. Holding out hope it'll turn up this weekend.

As for why not? I dunno, I hate being in charge of stuff, and I am not sure my dumb heart could deal with being responsible for the care of our most destitute people. The crises are real and they are rough. The reason my friend "Bear" can do the job she does is because she's been through an ungodly, inhuman amount of bullshit, and I infer the same is true of Badger. I am by comparison a soft unblooded babby.

e: I don't think I ever clarified that Bear and Badger both work at another facility for unhoused people, but it's a bit limited in its services. They've also both done overnight work at full service shelters. I am not sure I could handle the things they handle with particular grace.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 18, 2020

Jasus Christ
Dec 3, 2019

My partner works with youth experiencing homelessness, and she says it is the most heartbreaking and the most rewarding job she has ever had. The lows are very low, but the highs are very high. Obviously you know your limits best though, respect either way.

I had to order a replacement key for some file cabinets once, $7 a pop. Just break them shits open if you don't need to lock them and they still latch. And, if you don't think people will take them - I might, if I knew I was headed into a long period of camping on the streets w/o tp.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Late for my I-llama-nati meeting.

Sitting Here posted:

I got the exciting job of inventorying all the furniture today! Wandered around listening to Harrow the Ninth on audiobook, counting dressers.

The audiobook is really good and feels like the perfect accompaniment to wandering around a spooky facility.

Sitting Here posted:

As for why not? I dunno, I hate being in charge of stuff, and I am not sure my dumb heart could deal with being responsible for the care of our most destitute people. The crises are real and they are rough. The reason my friend "Bear" can do the job she does is because she's been through an ungodly, inhuman amount of bullshit, and I infer the same is true of Badger. I am by comparison a soft unblooded babby.

Yeah, don't set yourself on fire just to keep someone else warm, as I always say. That's the moral dilemma of social work... your capacity to do good in the world goes way up, but at the risk of wearing you down. I wish it was an easy choice. Give it some thought, but don't feel bad if it just isn't for you. You're already doing a good thing helping them out.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Friend to Crows
Lover of Fungi
Queen of Blood

Clapping Larry

Jasus Christ posted:

My partner works with youth experiencing homelessness, and she says it is the most heartbreaking and the most rewarding job she has ever had. The lows are very low, but the highs are very high. Obviously you know your limits best though, respect either way.

I had to order a replacement key for some file cabinets once, $7 a pop. Just break them shits open if you don't need to lock them and they still latch. And, if you don't think people will take them - I might, if I knew I was headed into a long period of camping on the streets w/o tp.

Yeah all of that stuff gets snapped up pretty quick if it's not locked up. Which...tbh if you're in a situation where a roll of boosted TP is gonna make a difference, then you should have it. It's not an insurmountable problem for us, but it would have been cool to find that drat key!

I think I'm going to ask Neurotic Boss if there is part time work I can do. I need to stick my toe into the work to know if I'm a good fit for this sort of service.

Meanwhile, I'm filling in a shift at the hotel today. No news from the facility, which is probably good! I'm excited to see what the volunteers get done, but anxious that I am not there to help. It's weird, after spending all week with two incredibly frank, blunt people, to assimilate back into a customer service-oriented environment. Especially since our clientele tend toward the upper middleclass, and who abhor "dirty" downtown Seattle (I work in a wealthy suburb of Seattle). I love my hotel job and I'm generally grateful to be here, but in 2020 it's starkly apparent that the people I serve have self-infantilized, swaddling themselves in comfortable denial.

I don't want to make this thread too much about my takes on class and homelessness because tbh I think the shelter project itself is a perfect articulation of the problems with this city. But goddamn sometimes I get so angry.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

This thread is incredibly good in a really bad time. Can't wait to see this built up into a good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Thatís pretty amazing stuff OP! Just out of curiosity, can you say whereabouts in Seattle it is? I could use some post it notes.

btw That place is clearly haunted af and I look forward to the inevitable found footage video.