Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Should this year set a new precedent and NFL preseason games will no longer be necessary at all?

Teams could just hold camps to determine whether rookies or walk-ons are ready to take a spot on the roster.

Anyone want to make an argument for why it would make sense for preseason games to return in future years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It was acceptable football but there were some dogshit teams and in the middle the cardinals drastically improved over the course of the game.

I think, if the NFL is going to have closed preseason practices and don't want to make a spectacle of the roster trimming and final player decisions then fine, no preseason games; but for me ideally 1 or 2 games is fine and helps illuminate the narrative for fans and journalists.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think there were a few teams that looked pretty gassed by the 3rd or 4th quarter. I'm not sure preseason would have helped, but who knows.

The only thing that I'm not sure is either good or bad is that preseason doesn't allow other scouts to look at bubble players and give them a chance on their roster should their original teams cut them.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
I think there was a lot of slop all over. I'm not an offensive guru but a lot of the football I was watching looked like some very vanilla play calling, which is the kind of stuff you would usually see used in the pre-season to a) not tip your hand for the whole season and b) get everyone into "game shape".

4 games is highly unnecessary, but slipping down to 1 or 2 I think is probably the way forward for the league.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I think a lot of the slop would be cleaned up with a full training camp, and week 1 is always crazy, but yeah a couple weeks of preseason is probably really helpful for bubble players

the main issue without a preseason is we missed out on laughing at the giants, because you just know Joe Judge would have his starters play all game every game

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

No preseason also saved us from a rash of injuries during the preseason!

I get why nfl owners want the preseason ($$$$$) but from a purely football perspective i'm not sure we care outside of providing chances for bubble players WHICH I think the vastly expanded practice squad is doing more to help with tbh.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

adaz posted:

No preseason also saved us from a rash of injuries during the preseason!

I get why nfl owners want the preseason ($$$$$) but from a purely football perspective i'm not sure we care outside of providing chances for bubble players WHICH I think the vastly expanded practice squad is doing more to help with tbh.

I agree with this POV.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Teams with new coaches or with a lot of player turnover really needed the preseason. The Vikings corners stand out. Holton Hill started because Danzler and Gladney haven't had playing time to learn from. Danzler was in but the unit as a whole wasn't what it should have been.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

speaking as a child of high roster turnover and lots of noobs who need to learn, do not have the preseason any more. that way they use more of their instincts instead of being coached up by the bengals

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Preseason is a slog for everyone involved but maybe it helps conditioning? I did find it interesting in that nobody got to know about the sneaky good players who came out of nowhere before week 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Preseason is a slog for everyone involved but maybe it helps conditioning? I did find it interesting in that nobody got to know about the sneaky good players who came out of nowhere before week 1.

The conditioning aspect made sense back when all these guys were like pipe fitters who smoked two packs a day during the offseason. At this point they train year round because they know the ones who don't won't be around for very long.