Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NICE POST, BITCH

There was no surfing thread so here is one now. I'm no authority & I wouldn't know where to start on any kind of comprehensive OP, so I'll just share what I've been up to lately.

I have gotten back into surfing recently after close to 10 years away from it, and man what a fool I was for ever leaving it by the wayside! I picked up a classic Costco Wavestorm (the ur-starter board) after moving closer to the coast last summer but started going more consistently this year. After a beautiful hot Sunday cruising long lazy shoulders in Oceanside on the foam board a couple months back, I was hooked again. So I got on Craigslist and scored a great deal on a 6'2" quad fin fish and it's a game changer. I'd never surfed a fish before and the combo of wave catchability, easy speed generation, and maneuverability is just so much fun, particularly in the smaller mushier surf we get during SoCal summers.

This past weekend an acquaintance talked me into going up to Trestles with him, and just wow! I can't believe I never made it up there before. Incredibly consistent and clean, even on the lesser peaks we surfed to avoid the main crowds. I was a little intimidated heading there at first, what with Trestles being perhaps the most famous/popular break on the west coast, but it was super chill and we had a great time surfing till our arms were ready to fall off.

I am trying to get out on the water at least twice a week right now in hopes of regaining some skills and conditioning before winter. Right now I'd have no shot trying to ride my old 6'6" epoxy thruster I used to ride in college (a dozen years and 25 lbs ago...)

Post about surfing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm a complete noob who's only ever surfed once and didn't even get up. What's the best type of board to learn on? For reference, my beach is Kure Beach, NC. So we're not talking Pacific waves, but we do get the best the Atlantic can offer.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Iíve been (very casually) surfing for about 20-ish years in Western Australia. Iím recently getting back into it after 8 months of very little surfing due to injury and having a newborn to look after.

The waves here range from mostly awful and mushy, to good sometimes, to world class a few hours south in Margaret River. Iíve currently got 3 boards, a DIY hollow wooden board I made from a kit. My favourite board, a 6ft Simmons/fish type quad that goes amazing in almost everything and a Haydenshapes Shred-sled, which is from my younger and fitter days.

Dik Hz posted:

I'm a complete noob who's only ever surfed once and didn't even get up. What's the best type of board to learn on? For reference, my beach is Kure Beach, NC. So we're not talking Pacific waves, but we do get the best the Atlantic can offer.

Iíve surfed northern OBX before (only in the summer) and from memory most days were fairly gentle, so you might want to look at something like a 8-9ft fun board type of thing. Foamies these days are actually pretty good too, and Iíd recommend them for a learner because you wonít be too worried about damaging your board.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NICE POST, BITCH

Dik Hz posted:

The easiest answer to this is a soft top around 8í or so. The staple here is the Wavestorm, which can be found at Costco (and now Amazon too i guess) for under $200. A lot of companies make soft tops now and you can get higher quality ones, but for a first board itís hard to beat the cost/benefit of the Wavestorm.

It will float and paddle easy, be nice and stable as you learn to stand up, and since itís soft itís difficult for you to damage the board in transport or the board to damage you (or others) in action.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've surfed in the PNW before. I thought it was a lot of fun and a great way to spend a couple days on the beach. It really reminded me of tobogganing where most of the work goes into getting where you need to be in order to actually do the thing, and once you're there it's only a brief moment of joy before you either crash and burn or come to a stop. It's just fun enough to keep doing it over and over again until you've become so exhausted that you can no longer keep your internal body temperature up.

Bigger waves in more popular locations probably offer a completely different experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It's fun to watch people surf, from the safety of shore or computer. People surf the bore tide up here. They mostly use stand up paddle boards, I dunno if people use regular surf boards to do it. This guy used a packraft, with amusing results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8mYY5tf6g