Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Iíve been (very casually) surfing for about 20-ish years in Western Australia. Iím recently getting back into it after 8 months of very little surfing due to injury and having a newborn to look after.

The waves here range from mostly awful and mushy, to good sometimes, to world class a few hours south in Margaret River. Iíve currently got 3 boards, a DIY hollow wooden board I made from a kit. My favourite board, a 6ft Simmons/fish type quad that goes amazing in almost everything and a Haydenshapes Shred-sled, which is from my younger and fitter days.

Dik Hz posted:

I'm a complete noob who's only ever surfed once and didn't even get up. What's the best type of board to learn on? For reference, my beach is Kure Beach, NC. So we're not talking Pacific waves, but we do get the best the Atlantic can offer.

Iíve surfed northern OBX before (only in the summer) and from memory most days were fairly gentle, so you might want to look at something like a 8-9ft fun board type of thing. Foamies these days are actually pretty good too, and Iíd recommend them for a learner because you wonít be too worried about damaging your board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU