Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is OJ Innocent?
Yes
Yes
View Results

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Neurolimal posted:

IIRC Simpson lost all rights to his brag-book in civil courts to Nicole's family, and they're responsible for the covers that obfuscate the "If"

Very close, it was Ron Goldman's family. He lost the rights because he couldn't cover the civil judgement with liquid capital (even after all that endorsement and movie money). That's also how he lost stuff like his Heisman trophy.

The whole sordid affair is just so fascinating. My favorite factoid is that $480 million in productivity was lost when the verdict was read live on television.

E: this thread needs some dancing Itos:

https://youtu.be/QQezL9pLUN4

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Dont Touch ME posted:

I don't even know who that is but googling tells me he's a football star who maybe killed someone almost 30 years ago. Why uhhh, why does this matter?

"Well you see, with the wind down of the Rodney King riots just a few years earlier, this case was at an interesting junction of socioracial politics and the public investment in it derives from a fascination with that intersection. Furthermore, in the context of modern societ-"

Yeah cool whatever goon dude, I'm asking for the real reason. What aristocratic rear end in a top hat did OJ piss off

The lady he killed was really hot. We also hear about pretty blonde girls who go missing south of the border, because they're pretty.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

doverhog posted:

What was the impact tho? That still confuses me. Everyone knew he did it yet somehow it still was a racial issue?

Very.

The crime occurred at OJ's house in Brentwood, an area on the far west side of town bordering on Santa Monica, an affluent and predominantly white municipality. OJ was tried in Los Angeles, which is ... substantially more diverse. People argued that he was found not guilty in no small part because he had a more black jury downtown (and remember, it's the Rodney King era here), whereas the rich white people in Santa Monica would have convicted.